He Taught Me How To Soar

I called my dad this morning to greet him a Happy Father’s Day. It was nice to hear his voice once again. The last time I talked to him was when he was having an Acute Hypertensive Urgency. Thank God that his blood pressure is now stable and he’s back to his usual self.

I was planning to write a tribute about him yesterday but when I started gathering my thoughts and began recollecting the things we did together, I felt a heaviness in my heart. I realized that I miss him a lot . I tried to mask it by being busy with a lot of things but a person can only suppress an emotion up to a certain point. Eventually it will reach its threshold and mine was at that very instant. I decided to write later  when my mind can already  think straight.

After talking to him on the phone. I felt light. The dark cloud had been lifted. I was all fired up and ready to make my tribute. There’s so much about him that I wanted to talk about but today I decided to focus on the things that he taught me that shaped me into who I am today.

1. He taught me how to love and to share.

I grew up with 5 other siblings and even if we  went into some days of hardships, my dad always made it a point that there was a surplus of love and affection in the house. He made us value the simplest of things, uncomplicate our lives and to find happiness by sharing your time and yourself with the people you care about.

2. He taught me to forgive.

I had my fair share of hurts and emotional pains from  the abuse of those people who I gave my trust. I had  experiences of being scammed and taken advantage of and I pray each day that my heart would find itself to forgive. My dad experienced a far worst situation, felt more suffering and betrayal than I ever had but he was able to find the word to say, ” I forgive.” He would rather wake up in the morning at peace with himself and breath with a clear conscience. I’m almost there but sometimes when I recall the past traumatic events,  I feel a slight tinge of anger. Till then, I continue to strive to let go of any negativity in my heart one day  at a time.

3. He taught me to be adventurous and creative.

I remember our projects together from raising guppies, to opening a full-blown Aquarium and Fish Store, to planting Mahogany trees, to growing chickens and  pigs, raising my first puppy and going out-of-town discovering local beaches  and natural wonders of nature. He taught me how to find joy, excitement and creativity without costing a thing except maybe for gas.

My dad taught me that happiness is not about how much you have but how much you loved.

4. He taught me to value people for who they are and not for what they have.

My dad is one of those who can talk to anyone . He can converse with a local market vendor to the most influential people in town without shedding a single sweat. He treated everyone fairly and has a way to make people feel good about themselves. A friend told me while at work how I could just talk and relate to everyone in the hospital, from the housekeeper, to the patients and their families, to the doctors as well as the other adjoining department staff. It’s only now that I realized that I got it from my father.

5. He taught me how to soar.

There  are still a lot of things he taught me but this post won’t contain all of  them just like if anyone else would list down the lessons they learned from their fathers. I had 40 great years of memory bank and that’s a huge storage of data to expound and share. So, I reserve the best for last. Growing up, my father taught me not to rely on material things, on family heirlooms like money and properties but to equipped myself with the basic tool of all, education! He never pressured me to go over my limits rather he encouraged me to give out my best in everything that I do. I  chose to excel in my field not because he told me to but because I wanted to. He and my mom provided me with  all the support and  motivation in life. They were my greatest fans. My dad helped me find my wings, learn how to fly and finally, soar on my own. He taught me to be independent and use my abilities to face  and overcome the challenges as well as the  harsh realities of the world. What I am today , he prepared me for it and for that I’m forever grateful.

I love you dad. I maybe away from you but my heart and thoughts will always be filled by your  presence. The words of wisdom you taught me I will always value and cherish. I thank God each day for bringing you into my life. You’re the best dad in the world and I would like everyone to know about it . Happy Father’s Day.

This entry was posted in family, Inspiration, Life, Love and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to He Taught Me How To Soar

1. Frank Bishop says:

For me it is most important to be adventurous and creative. There we find out boundaries and limits, and move past them. We grow as people and learn to accept more things then just what we are comfortable with. This is a trait that more people need and that I honestly believe would make the world a better place. Complacency is just stagnation.

It sounds like your father was a wise man.

• I just wish most of the world think like you , me and the rest of those who strive to make this world a better place for everyone especially the next generation. Yes, my dad was wise yet simple and humble. His someone who’ll do anything for his family. I don’t know how he raised 6 kids but he did it with flying colors. Thanks for sharing.

2. hawleywood40 says:

Happy Father’s Day to your dad, who sounds like a wonderful man – and to you too! This is a beautiful tribute. I especially love # 3 – it sounds like your childhood was full of amazing adventures of the best kind – enjoying nature and appreciating and caring for other living things.

• Thank you Hawley. Extend my greeting to your hubby as well. Father or not, this day is all about the great men in anyone’s life. Yes, I did have an adventurous childhood. Life was more simple. It was all about the outdoors, playing in the mud, catch fishes in the pond and so forth. I wish I can share a similar excitement to my son. Living close to the city, I just need to improvise. Thanks for the visit. It’s always a joy to have you around. Take care.

3. Tilly Bud says:

What a wonderful tribute to your father.

God bless your dad. He sounds like an amazing guy… beautiful tribute and photos too. :-)
    Eliz

5. Penny says:

Beautiful tribute to your father. Fun filled adventure and learning to be creative is the best of life. I like this: ” My dad helped me find my wings, learn how to fly and finally, soar on my own. He taught me to be independent and use my abilities to face and overcome the challenges as well as the harsh realities of the world”- very well said, our fathers are full of wisdom and so much understanding. I miss my father terribly, but his memories I keep alive in my heart.

• Thank you Penny. That was a sweet and heartfelt comment. The soaring part was from a song I sang in college during my graduation, it’s called On Eagles Wings. My parents were so proud that day. I was more than happy to bring them the honor they fully deserve. I’ m sorry to hear about your dad . I know his memories remains alive in the hearts and mind of his love ones. You had a great father and it shows in your writings and works. Have a blessed day. Take care.

6. vivacioushy says:

Wow, it’s amazing how we take father’s for granted. After all they are the providers and protectors. Sometimes it means a lot to say a simple thank you. HAPPY FATHERS DAY

• I read you post and looks like you’re a busy, loving parent yourself having the time of his/her life with his/her son. Most of the time, fathers are behind the camera but they don’t mind because they love their family and that they only want the best for them. Looks like your son is at his toddler age. Oh, man, he made me recall both the fun and crazy times when my son hit 2 and started saying “No” to everything. thanks for visiting. looking forward to follow your posts.

• I read you post and looks like you’re a busy, loving father yourself having the time of his life with his son. Happy Father’s Day too. Most of the time we’re behind the camera but we don’t mind because we love our family and that we only want the best for them. Looks like your son is at his toddler age. Oh, man, he made me recall both the fun and crazy times when my son hit 2 and started saying “No” to everything. thanks for visiting. looking forward to follow your posts.

7. Such a wonderful tribute to your dad! Without doubt, who we “become” later in life is greatly influenced by our upbringing. It’s obvious that your father has touched you in a way that goes beyond the material world. Unfortunately, people often forget that it’s not how much we have, but rather the importance of sharing our time with others that matter most to us. And even though you may be many miles apart from your dad, it sounds like you two share a “sacred bond” that distance can never break. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to more of your posts! By the way, I really appreciate you listing me on your blogroll. You made my day!

• Thank you Donna. It was my honor to put you in my blogroll. It’s my way of thanking those who took the time to reply, make a comment or visit my blog. It’s like living a life of daily gratitude which by the way Elizabeth of eof737 made a beautiful post on. I agree with you when you said, “people often forget that it’s not how much we have, but rather the importance of sharing our time with others that matter most to us. ” Just a wonderful idea to reflect upon. I wish a lot of us would think that way .This past year, both my mom and dad had been sick and it made realized how valuable they are to me and that I have no clue how long I have the chance to enjoy their presence. My focus now is my family and living a life in such a way that the time I spend with them would be productive and memorable. You made my day too for sharing your thoughts and time .

8. frizztext says:

great tribute to your dad!

9. thedailydish says:

WOW, IT. No wonder you are the man you are today. A wonderful husband, father, and son. Thank God for your dad – and for mine. Who taught me many of the same things. Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there!

• Extend my greeting to your husband. Happy Father’s Day to the man who shares your passion on a lot of wonderful things. Those baby chicks were cute. I didn’t know you need a permit for them. I’m not familiar with Texas law on having one but my son would be delighted to have them as pets. How’s the Yaws activity going? congrats on your daughter’s graduation , mine just graduated from pre-K. We honor all our dads for their love and sacrifices. My sister is printing my post so she can give it to my dad. He loves reading letters and cards from family.

10. Wonderful tribute. Your father is worthy of the love and admiration you have for him. His style of fatherhood is so different from my father’s who i love just the same.

• Thank you for taking time to visit. Father’s have different ways in raising their kids and showing how they care about them . Some are affectionate, some appear strict , others seems quiet and serious but all of them have one thing in common and that is they all love us for who we are regardless of what we chose to be in life. In their eyes we are still their little son or daughter and would always remain special in their memories. My dad and mom spoil me with their attention and caring ways whenever I go home regardless of how old I am now. Just sweet!

11. suitablefish says:

A beautiful tribute to your father, who I’m glad to know in some way through your words. No wonder you write of your life with such tenderness. I started to write about my dad on father’s day and I couldn’t type for crying, not sadness but happy tears, the moments that resonate and that I remember so well. I called him on Father’s day and we had a good chat. He was cooking a brisquet. We never used to say, I love you. But I don’t let a visit or a call go by these days without saying, I love you.

• Writing can be difficult especially when it’s a personal, meaningful experience. You’re father knows in his heart that you love him so much, things you may not be able to write, he already knows through your loving gestures. For a father to hear his child say, ” I love you”, is like hearing the most beautiful song in this planet. . I know that my son loves me but I’m dying to have him say, ” I love you , dad.” those words from him warms my heart and all the hardships in life seems to melt away. Thank you for the nice comment and for sharing a bit of yourself. You have a wonderful blog. Looking forward to follow your posts.

Happy Father’s Day to your dad and to you as well. Your father is a wonderful person. My father never teaches me to forgive others who offend us :D But anyway I still love my father, love his stubbornness. :D

• Thank you for the greeting. Not all fathers are the same but they do have certain qualities that we love about them and no matter what happens they will stand by us especially in times of adversities. My dad can be stubborn too. I forgot to mention in my post that he actually refused an advise medical care to be admitted in the hospital after feeling better with his Acute Hypertension but again just like you , I still love him anyway. I appreciate you for sharing, extend my Happy Father’s Day greeting to your dad.

13. Barbara says:

Your dad sounds like a wise and wonderful man – how fortunate you are to have been taught to fly with the wings he gave you!
    Fathers Day was too sad for me to write about this year as Dad suffers from dementia and I doubt he was even aware of what day it was. It’s as if he is already gone, but the things he taught me live on deep in my heart.

• Sorry to hear about your dad’s dementia. It is hard to see someone you love slowly loose their memory, function and way of life. When I see a patient unable to recognize their love ones , it breaks my heart to see the pain on their family’s faces. Our memories of the things we shared with them and the lessons we learned will always remain with us no matter what. I pray for his health . I know that God will strengthen your heart as well as your other family members during this time of difficulty. Thanks you for sharing . Even if your dad may not be aware that it’s Father’s Day, I would still like to greet him and honor him for being a father who loved his family.

14. What an incredible post to honor your father. Such heart felt words and a tribute. : )

• Thank you. Sometimes it takes physical distance to realize how you miss and value people who are close to you. Until now my dad still takes care of my sisters when they need him. Fathers regardless of how old their children will always take care and protect their family. God bless.

15. eva626 says:

this was very sweet..i just wrote my dad a song to go with the slideshow…my brother rapped for my dad lol

• Wow, that was a creative and beautiful tribute to your dad. He must had been so touch by the song/slideshow and rapping by your brother. My sisters and I made a slideshow and video for my parents during their 40th wedding anniversary and we caught them teary eyed. Happy Fathers Day to you dad. Looks like he raised such loving, thoughtful, caring children. Thanks for the comment.

Your father must be a truly wonderful person to have a son like you…
    I love your way of writing. It comes from your heart and I can feel it. Not many men can do that!

another great read , with grateful thanks

love P

• It took me a lot of courage to write the post. I havent physically seen him for about 3 years. I miss him and mom and whenever I had to recall things that we shared together, the heartache can sometimes be unbearable. It’s easier not to think about it, that way the emotional pain and homesickness is less persistent. But I’m glad I did. My sister called me today to tell me how much my dad loved the post. They printed it out and he placed on top of the piano in our living room for all to see. I’m happy that I made him feel honored and appreciated. He is the best dad for me. Thank you, once again your words were generous and kind.

17. I love #4. My father was such a man. It’s very logical you have found the blogging community…you can relate to many people and on many levels. I look forward to reading more.

• We need to celebrate our father’s often. I wish I talked to him in a more personal way when I was still with him . I was young then and single. I never understood fatherhood until I became one. It made me appreciate things, family and events like never before. He love the post that he made several copies including the comments. He’s very active in a religious group and I’m sure he already shared it with his friends. I don’t mind because love is something that needs to be openly manifested. kind of a pay forward thing. Looking forward to get to know you more through your post.

18. This is such a beautiful post, along with the majority of your other posts. I think you’re father is very proud of you. I know I would be.