Weekly Photo Challenge-Hidden

Hidden Fears Of The Unknown

Hidden somewhere in our subconscious are our childhood fears of ghosts and monsters. Tomorrow it’s Halloween and it is said that on this night the spirits of the underworld roam freely with the living. Where I grew up, we didn’t have Halloween as I know it now but we had “All Souls Day” where we visit our departed families and relatives at the cemetery. On this day we pay tribute to their memories, brings them flowers, light a candle and more importantly offer a prayer that their souls are at peace and in a better place.

On this night, the gates of the dead also opens and they have free access to our world. This is the night where we can easily feel their presence.

Hidden underneath the grave lies the skeletons and the secrets they keep.

When A Dead Relative Knocks On Your Door

I stayed in my grandmother’s ancestral home for two years when I was in high school. It was built before World War II and several generation of relatives lived and died in it. I never knew them but their photos hang in the living room with eyes that stares back at you. As a boy looking at them late at night when most of the lights were off gives me goose bumps.

One night during All Souls Day, my cousins, sisters and I decided to go ahead and stay at my grandma’s house while the adults were still at the cemetery. We decided to stay on the third floor’s single bedroom where except for the room itself everything was dark. It also had an attic that nobody ventured for so many years. I always thought the attic was creepy and some supernatural beings lived in them. I had a wide imagination as a child and when the elders talked about the strange noises they heard, my mind would start creating monsters that scared me to the bones.

We decided to play BINGO while waiting for our parents. We were sharing jokes and ghost stories when all of a sudden we heard a loud knock. I opened the door but there was nobody there. We stared at each other a bit scared but we pretended that nothing happened and proceeded with our game.

A few minutes later, we heard a louder, longer knock like the door was about to break. I hurriedly opened the door thinking someone was making a prank on us. When I opened the door there was nobody there. I told everyone to search our prankster as a group. We searched the dark hallways starting from the top floor down to the main entrance but found no one. We did notice that the attic door was left opened but no one dared to take a peak. This time the hair at the back of my neck was standing up. We looked at each other stunned and speechless. At that point we decided to offer a prayer and the knocking stopped. We all decided to wait for our parents in the living room where it was well lighted. Until today, nobody knows who knocked on the door but everyone’s convinced it’s one of our dead relatives asking for our prayers.

The Old Woman Hiding Behind The Living Room

My brother-in-law when he was still courting my sister asked her one night, “who’s the old woman with long white hair hiding behind the living room?” My sister looking confused answered back, “which old woman?” He replied, “the one sitting on the rocking chair in your T.V. room.” My sister told him there was no old woman living in the house. Then my sister asked him to describe what she looked like. Before he could finish the description, he saw my grandma’s picture. He said excitedly, “that’s her!” My sister looking shocked said, “that’s my grandma, she passed away many years ago.” My future brother-in-law turned pale. The rocking chair was my grandma’s favorite chair and she would sit on it for hours while praying.

Wherever she is now, may her soul find joy and eternal peace with her maker. She was a remarkable woman with a loving and generous heart.

Wishing you all a fun and Happy Halloween. May those bucket of treats brings you forth sweet blessings in life.

What are your ghost and spooky stories? What’s the best thing you like about Halloween? Have an exciting Trick or Treat adventure to all.

This entry was posted in Events, Inspiration, Life, Post A Week 2011, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge-Hidden

1. wolke205 says:

Scary pictures lol Have a great Halloween with your family :) For me it s Samhain, I will light up some candles for people who passed away & meditate.

• That is nice of you to light up a candle and meditate for those who passed away. I was thought that we the living should pray for their souls so they may find peace and in return they too can pray for us or even watch us so we will avoid danger. It’s a special day for our departed love ones and we should atleast keep them in our thoughts. Thank you and Happy Halloween!

2. tmso says:

The best thing about Halloween is pumpkin carving!

What a spooky entry and pictures, IT. My hairs stood up when I got to that story about dead relatives knocking on the door. I had experienced that too you know :-) I was smiling when I noticed that I used a “filler” there.

Anyway, HAPPY HALLOWEEN to you and your family.

• Thanks Bro. Ghosts of relatives really freaked me out as a kid. I used to tell my grandparents not to haunt me back or have their presence and in return promise to be good and pray for them. It worked. Unfortunately 2 on my brother-in-law felt their presence. One saw my grandma and the other dreamt about her . both had not seen her photo until after the event. May be it’s her way of saying, ” welcome to the family!” Happy Halloween my friend. I hope your son would have a great and fun trick or treating. Best wishes to you and your family.

4. Oh my, story #2 really can make one think an extra beat. Perhaps she returned to “move” future generations. Who knows?

• I think my grandma was simply saying, ” welcome to the family son.” Two of my well-loved brother-in-laws experienced her presence and in a way it kind of shows her approval of them. They were great husbands to my sisters. Happy Halloween my friend. I hope you grandson is having a blast with his trick or treating. I brought my son to Children’s Museum 3 days ago and we both were dressed as pirates…..Aaaar! God bless you and your family always.

Really spooky photos and stories! Very appropriate for Halloween!

• I’m happy to know you enjoyed them. I was actually scared during the actual incident but now I realized why sometimes spirits of our family knock on our door. They simply want to be remembered and prayed for.Thanks for the comment . Best wishes…

6. Sabina Brave says:

I like that skeleton playing piano :)
    Happy Halloween!

7. Frank Bishop says:

The first picture looks like he is floating. What is that image addon, burn or fringe?

• I used iphone’s camera plus. First I chose the “clarity” option of scenes then went to effects and chose HDR and played with the itensity feature. It’s a cool app for $1.99. Coolest one I bought. Thanks for the comment. The first photo was spooky….hope It doesn’t hunt me in my sleep. Happy Halloween.

8. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Hidden « Changeversations

9. Great post for the photo theme and time of the season. I remember my childhood days of trick-or-treating. Lots of fun then but nowadays it takes a great deal of caution for children getting out and about to be safe. Blessings and safe adventures. :-) Btw, thank you for the pingback.

• Your right. It is no longer safe to have our kids wander around our neighborhood. Just in my subdivision there’s a few child offenders and the are scattered all over the major subdivisions. The news warned parents because some of this offenders still put Halloween decors and give goodies when they are not suppose too. We don’t have enough cops to monitor what they do. Thanks for the thoughtful words. Wishing you and your family the best.

10. lutfi afifah says:

The Old Woman Hiding Behind The Living Room is coll!! lol

11. Maggie L R says:

Great stories, I think I would like to ditch Hallowe’en and go back to its original All Hallows Eve and celebrate All Saints Day instead. I know I am not much fun , getting old I guess.

• I don’t blame you. All Saint’s Day and All Soul’s Day are both intended to remember those who passed away and offer prayers for the souls. That was the original concept but people alter them in so many ways that we are loosing it’s essence and purpose. I think trick and treat is cute and fun for kids but we need to teach them too why we celebrate this event. There’s time for fun and there’s time to honor our love ones who passed away. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Best wishes to you and your family.

• auntyuta says:

Dear IT, I love your response to what Maggie said. I read your post with great interest. You have a great family. I am a bit late to wish you a HAPPY HALLOWEEN but I trust you and your family had an enjoyable time.

• We did AuntYuta. I celebrated my pre-trick or treating last Thursday since I was to work night of the 31st but my wife took my son with some friends on Halloween at the city’s town center for trick or treat and he was just overjoyed. I feel blessed t have this chances to experience happy and memorable events with my family. They make me feel that it’s worth overcoming life’s trials everyday. They make my problems go away. I feel blessed to that have blogger friends like you that gives support and encouragement more that some of my neighbor friends. This is one thing beautiful and priceless with the Word Press family. There is an actual connection among people if we allow it too. When I started this blog I thought it was just “write a post and go” but I didn’t realize it would open doors of friendship for me. Wishing you and your family love , peace and happiness. Thank you for each words of encouragement.

• They do huh? It’s part of our culture and traditions. Long before the t.v. came there was the old time favorite of ” ghost and monsters” stories at night. Remember the “Aswang” radio series of so long time ago? It scared us at night but we were so glued to it. Best wishes to you and your family. Thanks Louise ….

Good Morning Mr B…what a great post that was, so creepy but so enthralling.
    I would love to see a ghost…maybe tonight!

lots of love P

• You are brave my friend. I already prayed to the dead to spare me…ha,ha,ha! I enjoy watching supernatural movies and t.v. series and I’m a wimp when it comes to the real thing. So far I have not seen a physical ghost. I think in a way they can sense you fears and they know I may not take it so well. Happy Hallowen and wishing you a beautiful and happy day. Thanks….and take care.

Happy Halloween to you too! :D I don’t have spooky tales to tell, but only real experiences when I was a kid between 6 and 7 years old. I don’t know whether those “things” I saw were something or merely illusion that most kids had during their early age. :D

• Happy Halloween Ristin. Thanks for sharing . When we get older, a lot of memories from our childhood we easily forget and you’re right, we then get confused if it was real or just illusion. A blessed day to you my friend….

14. jakesprinter says:

Great post for this season and for this challenge .

15. Cheryl says:

Wonderful story! Happy Hallowe’en to you and your family, Mr. B.

16. Mizz says:

I love the bucket! Happy halloween :)

• Hope you had a great and fun Halloween. My son loved the bucket too. It had little toys in it. Halloween is all about having fun and experiencing wholesome surprises. And kids really dig that. Thanks.

17. spooky! Happy Halloween!

18. I’ve adopted the name All Hallows’ Eve to celebrate this holiday, too. I enjoyed hearing about how you celebrated All Souls’ Day with your family when you were a child. It’s a sacred thing to honor the memories of one’s ancestors.

My favorite decorations are jack-o-lanterns, as I imagine them lighting the way over the threshold between the dead and the living on this night between summer and winter.

• Thanks for sharing. I made a jack-o-lantern too this year with my son. Hopefully we can make it as a tradition. It is a beautiful concept, ” lighting the way over the threshold between the dead and the living.” I do miss those visits to the cemetery for my dead relatives and remembering how they were when they were still with us. Have a blessed day my friend. best wishes to you and your family.

19. thedailydish says:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, IT!! Hope you have fun trick-or-treating w/ your son!

• Happy Halloween my friend! I hope your kids had an amazing and fun trick or treating too. My son had two, one with me around at the Haunted Museum and the other with my wife today since I had to work. Thanks and wishing you and your family a lot of sweet blessings.

20. Great SPOOKY stories! Hope you have a very Happy Halloween with your son :)

21. thirdhandart says:

Hope you and your family have a very Happy Halloween! Very scary stories!

• They were scary particularly when it happened but now I realized that it was my fear that made me more scared more than anything else ( thanks to horror movies!) and now I think ghosts are harmless compared to some evil person we see on the news. Happy Halloween and best wishes to you and your family.

22. ElizOF says:

Halloween is so spooky that I don’t like it at all. When the kids were young, I would try to make their outfits colorful not scary… Phew! I’m glad I don’t have to do it anymore. Your hidden ghoul looks really frightful! Happy Halloween to you and yours! :-)

• Thanks Liz. Happy Halloween as well to you and your family. I’m kind of wimpy when it comes to scary stuff too. For my son he wore a pirate costume…I think sometimes people overdo the Halloween concept. It is suppose to be fun and memorable to our little ones and not traumatic and scary. I’m also in for the colorful outfits for kids- it spells excitement and bright , happy thoughts. Wishing you and your family a lot of beautiful blessings.

23. Jo Bryant says:

soch great photos and stories both for the prompt and for halloween

24. Pingback: See Behind the Masks: Weekly Photo Challenge (Hidden) « aNTibaKTeRiYeL

25. wordsfallfrommyeyes says:

Great writing and great pictures! I loved the pictures, actually – the way you set them up :) Halloween is a big deal in the States. I bet you did have a wide imagination as a child, YES!

• Halloween is like Christmas in the States although I prefer Christmas actually due to my upbringing. But Halloween is fun too. Can be colorful and exciting if we allow it to be. As for imagination, I had tons of it. I was sickly as a child and my company were my brain, pen and paper and lot of comics. Thanks for the comment and wishing you and your son a bright , joyous day.

26. I don’t think I would have opened the bedroom door after the first knock. Try looking for me under the bed. Scary story … perfect for a Halloween night with flash lights gleaming brightly as you recite it. Love the skeleton mask.
    Great Pix .. great write …

• Well, if I’d known it was a ghost I would not open the second knock too but I guess it was meant to be just like the rest of our experiences in the past. Thanks my friend. Hope you have a wonderful days ahead full of inspiration.

Looks fun. Our ghosts will appear if we do bad things. So my children do only the right things. :cool:

• GIves me an idea…..my son seems not scared about ghosts actually but I was when I was a child, a lot of our adults would tell us about them and in a way I guess it was their way of telling us be good or else the ghosts will get you. It kind of work but I won’t do that now to the next generation of kids because it only cause false fears. We actually need to build their self confidence and help them overcome their fears. Thanks for sharing.

28. Judith says:

My house was built early in the last century – 1914 – but so far no ghosts have appeared. :D

29. I like your spooky stories…the one about the Grandma gave me goose bumps! My favorite thing about Halloween is watching my kids expressions and excitement as they get ready for the night and see all of the other costumes. We take them on a hayride and let them trick or treat with friends and neighbors. Most of the time we have lots of family and friends as guests on the hayride. It makes for a fun night with lots of laughs and memories!

• Wow, hayride thus sounds a lot of fun. I bright my son to Children’s Museum and then my wife took him at the city’s town center. We had it on 2 separate days since I had to work on the 31st. Bummer huh? But no regrets, I had a lot of fun with him and my wife at the haunted museum. I also made a Jack-O-lantern with him. It was our first. Great memories. Wishing you and your family all the happy blessings in life.

30. jhirzel88 says:

Well, I do remember the first Haunted House that I ever went to. I was so scared. There was strobe lights, chainsaws, and everything else that would scare me half to death. I was around 9 at the time.

The best thing about Halloween for me would be if I went to a real Haunted House. That would be cool! I’m not so scared like I used to, but if it was real, I’d be really scared. Oh yeah! I didn’t do anything this Halloween though because of the fact that I had to help my mom run her cupcake shop.

• Chainsaw and all, that is scary. I used to watch the movie ” Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and it scared the hell out of me. No “night venture out of nowhere” for me that’s for sure. I bet your mom was really thankful that you helped her out. Sometimes our family comes first although I wish you could have done both. I was actually at work of the night of the 31st. You are not alone then. I celebrated trick or treating with my son earlier so I can be with him. Have a fun day my friend.

31. Patti Kuche says:

What a fabulous set of tales! Halloween is not part of our family tradition but it has been entertaining to watch the proceedings – we grew up with the Holy Day of Obligation that is All Saints Day after which came the day to remember All Souls and the mere mortals in purgatory.
    BTW, is the rocking chair still in your family?

• The Rocking chair is still there . It is an antique furniture with a lot of great memories. My grandma didn’t have her presence felt since then. She was a wonderful person when she was alive. She knew that me and my siblings were easily scared of ghosts as kids and thus she would I guess show up on those that were not family yet. I miss the All Souls Day and All Saint Day. I celebrate them every year till I left the country and move to America. I don’t have dead relatives in the States so I don’t go to the cemetery but I still pray for the souls in purgatory on their special day. Thank you and stay blessed my friend.

32. Louise says:

I love the ghost stories! It is so funny how they follow us Filipinos! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Louise

33. Creepy! Did you make these stories up? They sound like they are your real memories… have you been back to that house, now that you are grown? I’m not sure I would have ever returned, if I saw the sorts of things that you did!

We, too, visit the graves of deceased relatives… but not on Halloween. We go at Christmas, and other holidays/birthdays, and you are right. It is a beautiful experience.

• Unfortunately they were real. I even had more scarier supernatural experiences or my family but they were not about ghosts. I grow up in a country setting where the spirits of the night seems so in tuned with our world but as the city progressed and buildings took place of a once lush old trees and mysterious swamps, the stories stopped too. My nephews and nieces didn’t experience those supernatural events as much as me and my siblings did. In a way, I felt lucky that I experienced them. It made a one colorful and exciting past for me. What broke my heart is that the old, historical house was sold by my dad’s evil sister without him knowing it of my other grandma before she died. Somebody owns it now and all I have are the memories and the stories I grew up with. It’s amazing how people can easily let go of their ancestral home. I would probably visit it if given a chance but not to sleep overnight. I’m going to have a chestpain from sheer paranoia. Thanks for a beautiful comment and for sharing. Have a wonderful day. Best wishes to your love ones…

• That’s so sad that the house was sold… sometimes you only get one chance to preserve a memory. I’m glad that you had such exciting experiences in your past, and I’m sure you’ll find ways to create new ones just as exciting for your son.

34. Spookiness is not hidden here! : ) Very cool.

35. john tugano says:

bro, you made the theme perfect for the Halloween.I have never seen or experienced the presence of ghosts and if by chance I would encounter such,I think I’m going to lose my breath and probably would turn pale also like your brother in law..

May your dear departed find peace to wherever they are right now..wishing you a peaceful and meaningful all souls day…=)

• Bro, a meaningful and heartwarming All Saints Day/All Souls Day to you too and your family. This the actual holiday I valued and appreciate for 31 years until I move to the States. May be I should make it a tradition for my son to go to the cemetery here and offer candles and prayers for the lost souls of the dead. That way he would not loose his heritage. We can still do trick or treating but at the same time remember what is it really for. As for seeing actual ghost, I may turned pale too but then my feet might be paralyzed from fear , so running may not be possible for me. I’m just glad I only encountered the spooky knock of the dead …that’s all I can really take. God bless you and your love ones my friend…

36. 2e0mca says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the stories in your post and the photos. We had a party for our Beaver and Cub groups on Halloween and the kids had a great time playing a number of ‘spooky’ games and eating suitable halloween food.

I didn’t notice our house ghost on the night – I sometimes feel her presence but perhaps she took the night off and went to a party elsewhere :-)

• It is priceless to be a part of your son’s Halloween experience . It was great of you too to share them with your son’s other friends….As for the ghost of the house, I she had a fun party…..we all need to have our share of fun every now and then. Thanks.

37. That must have been pretty scary IT! By the way, I think “All Souls Day” is a wonderful way to pay tribute to our loved ones who have passed over. There is comfort in knowing that our loved ones are still very much a part of our lives. As for Halloween, I love seeing the kids in their costumes. I never miss an opportunity to hand out treats for the kids. I love to think of Halloween as a time to embrace fun, but never to lose sight of honoring our loved ones who have moved on. It’s the perfect mix! Anyway, thanks for sharing the fun my friend. Also, your grandmother must have been a very kind, sweet person. :)

• Thanks for an amazing comment my friend. You always give me a lot of inspiring and encouraging words to go by. It was a scary experience, I just told my wife about it yesterday and she thought I was kidding. For 31 years I celebrated All Soul’s Day with my family by going to the cemetary and offering prayers, candles and flowers to our departed love ones. I miss those times that now I’m in the States. I only appreciated Halloween when my son was born. It is to me a beautiful, fun event for kids. God bless you always …

38. The Hook says:

Great job expanding a photo post! Excellent.