What Does This Day Mean To You

I was reading a beautiful post at Georgette Sullins’s Blog on today’s date titled “11-11-11″ and it dawned on me that I was thinking of the same fascinating , even intriguing date 3 days ago. What does it mean? Does it have any significance? Should I be worried? Or should I buy a lotto since it might be my lucky day? The list is endless depending on where my imagination will take me.

Perhaps it may be just be a coincidence but I’m definitely sure that somewhere in this amazing planet, someone is making a special memory of this day. Maybe it’s a day where a man floating in love is proposing to his princess. Maybe somewhere out there beneath a shimmering romantic moonlight, a sweet couple married for 40 years are renewing their vows and promises to each other. Maybe somewhere not to far away, a parent is going back home to embrace his love ones after years of being away and separated from them. Maybe somewhere where people thought dreams always come true, a family is saying goodbye to their dream home because they could no longer afford to keep it.

Maybe today, someone is just yearning to be held by your hand. You'll be amazed by how powerful a healing touch can be. For that, you don't even need words to bring comfort and express that you care.

Today, a lot of things are happening. Some are significant, others fleeting like any other day. Others are cooking up something to make this date unforgettable. Perhaps a spontaneous getaway for the entire family that would bring fun and excitement to everyone. It maybe a day to celebrate, to be happy and feel inspired of what we have or it maybe a day of sadness, or grief for a loss that can never be replaced.

Yes, it is a day to remember for most of us. Maybe not the date itself but of what is going to happen and occur today.

Personally, to me it’s a day to be thankful for another moment of being alive and healthy, of being surrounded by people I love and care about. For having a job that not only brings food to the table but more importantly, a work that brings forth inspiration, compassion , friendship and meaning to my existence in this world. For having a blog that allows me to be who I am, gives me inspiration and best of all,  priceless friendships that provide constant, treasured source of encouragement.

" I'm the king of the World!"

It’s a day that hopes can happen and opportunities realized. So, what are we waiting for. The day is young, so much possibilities for unforgettable events to happen in our life is waiting for all of us. Before midnight strikes, think of something that made this day special. We all can if we try to make things and events happen. It doesn’t have to be spectacular. Even a long overdue sincerely expressed ” I Love You” may all it takes to make this day a magical event that we will always remember.

At the end of this day, I’m crossing my fingers that I would do something memorable. I would start by saying my ” I Love You” to my wife. She’s at the kitchen making a delicious lunch for me. Great food plus great love equals perfect day!

Don't wait for tomorrow to say that you love someone if you have that chance now. In reality, today maybe the only day someone may have the chance to say those words in person. A painful reality but it reminds all of us not to waste our time and opportunities. Life does not wait forever.

For the men and women who died fighting for our freedom and for those continually offering their lives and being away from their families so the rest of us can sleep soundly, we admire your courage and sacrifices. We honor you today and always. You and your family will constantly be in our thoughts and prayers. You will never be alone and forgotten.

Thanks for sharing your day with me. Before you go just one quick question, “what does this day mean to you?”

This entry was posted in Events, Inspiration, Life, Post A Week 2011 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to What Does This Day Mean To You

1. Thank you for the shout out. I must be admonished for not even mentioning Veteran’s Day. I have my husband to thank for keeping me on course and reminding me of that. How patient he is with me. As I marvel/wonder/reflect on the meaning of of all those 1′s, he brings me down to earth and reminds me of our noble armed forces. We are so blessed. He hung our flag out on the balcony this morning. Excuse me…I must make a very important update to my most recent post.

• I was thinking about it as I brought my son to school this morning and saw my neighbor placed several American Flags on his lawn. I wanted to also make this post go beyond borders and cover more. So much people needing different things from love , to friendship, to being valued and remembered. I wish I could have said more but sometimes, all to takes are a few words and images to touch a heart and make them remember and feel appreciated. I too updated my post. Sometimes, today may be about being reminded of additional essential in our lives or that of others. God bless you and your family always. A memorable Veteran’s Day to you and your husband.

2. Ohhh, I was just thinking that today I’d have another ordinary day…but, your post inspires me to find ways to make it special, to notice, savor and appreciate…thank you.

• Your welcome. Well I got the inspiration from a blogger friend too. More like a “positive” domino effect. Sometimes it takes another person to remind me that any day can be made special if we want to. Thanks for sharing . A blessed day to you.

Beautiful! Thank you for the lovely story!

• It was my pleasure to share them. I wasn’t planning to make a post yesterday since I was scheduled to work that night but after reading Georgette’s post, I creative thinking went on full speed. Thanks for the visit. Have a wonderful day….

4. mysterycoach says:

Very nice :)

5. Beautiful post.

Lest we forget.

• Thank you. Sometimes we can get caught up with our own daily challenges that we miss important events . I’m guilty of that several times. I’m just glad someone or something reminds me of those important occassions.

6. MOL says:

Poem by John McCrae, Canadian Lt.Colonel and physician, after witnessing the death of his friend, WWI, 1915:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

Happy Veterans Day, my friend.

• A beautiful yet sad poem particularly when you wrote, ” We are the Dead. Short days ago
      We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
      Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
      In Flanders fields.”
      It breaks my heart to see on t.v. or read in the news children orphaned because their parents died trying to preserve the freedom that you and I enjoy. It saddens me more when people go on their usual business like these loss don’t exist. I guess in a way they can’t relate because it is not their family member or someone they know but that is not an excuse to be insensitive to the harsh realities of war and their effects on people. Thank you for sharing a touching poem that truly speaks of what a Veteran goes through. People don’t realize that these heroes who makes it alive loss a part of themselve during the war and their memories will always be haunted by what they saw and experienced. Everyday, they need our prayers for strenght and healing. Everyday, they need to know and feel they are not forgotten.
      A blessed day to you my friend and Happy Veteran’s Day.

You are so wonderful, so caring, so loving and so romantic….
    I say ” I love you” to my husband
    and he says” yes , I know”
    “How do you know” I ask
    “You just told me” He replies…and that is as far as it goes…He never says that he loves me, but I know he does because he works so hard to make my life happy and when I ask ‘why don’t you tell me that you love me”

How about a swop Mrs B?

• You made me smile when your wrote, ” He says” I have you , all your animals..you want my love as well..in that case..go and make a cup of tea” Some men have a hard time saying what they feel but everything they do speaks loudly how much they love their wives and their children. My dad is like that. He is affectionate in gestures and sentiments but he’s not fond of saying “I love you’s.” In a way because of that, It took me awhile to be verbal about my feelings as well. It was my wife who taught me to say those words more often. In time it flowed easily . Your husband loves you a lot as shown by his desire to make you happy. His heart is pure and obviously beating just for you. thank you for sharing such a beautiful , romantic , even witty comment. I enjoyed reading them immensely. God bless you and family always. And yes, wishing you a life filled with love and happiness.

I didn’t get to read this until just now, the end of my day, and what a wonderful way to end the day and the week with such uplifting throughts. Thank you!

• I’m glad that you enjoyed the post. Reading your comments and the post you make does the same for me. In a way, I was able to make the post because of the various inspiration around me which includes the thoughts shared by my blogger friends. Thank you. Wishing you and your family lots of wonderful blessings.

As always, another beautiful, thoughtful post… inspiring too. It is a unique day in that the numbers line up… and that it is Veteran’s Day makes it special too. It is a day to be grateful for life and love and grace… TY too! :-)

• Indeed “it is a day to be grateful for life and love and grace.” This day reminded me of the many things and people in my life that I should be grateful for. It is a humbling and beautiful experience. Thanks for sharing. Happy Veteran’s Day to you.

I see. “I’m the king of the world. ” I like this phrase because the person who can make his/her future is only he/she.

• So right. There are times when I feel so happy that I can shout, “I’m the king of the world!” at the top of my lungs. I think I heard it first from the movie Titanic. It reminds me that I could be happy by just being simple. As long as my family’s love surrounds me, I am at the top of the world. And I think it holds true for all that feels great love in their hearts. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes to you and your family.

11. munchow says:

Being a non-American I thought the day was just another day with a fun number combination. Still I think every day is important. Every day “a lot of things are happening. Some are significant, others fleeting like any other day.” Thank you for sharing you thoughts and make me aware of what day it is. And once again the photographs are great. The porch I believe I have seen before in a different version but still beautifully captured and processed. My favourite is still the one above with the boy stretching out towards the sun. So beautiful. I like the dark rendering and the open end that encourage to interpret it freely.

• That was my son. He was so happy that day because he got to visit the beach, got a new comfort stuffed toy he named Daniel, had a blast swimming in the pool and more. This is one beautiful trait of a child. When they are happy, they are purely happy and jubilant. It shows in every part of their being. The sky was unbelievable that day. The water a bit rough due to strong winds. All elements contributing to one unforgettable memory and photos. The porch is the same one I used in one of the weekly photo challenge but this time It was empty. A sad reminder of a life lost that all of us will encounter one day. That photo reminded me of the love ones I had lost through the years. I kept staring at the photo before I submitted the post. My grand father was non-American too but he was a Veteran of WW II . He died just after the war and during All Soul’s Day, everyone in the family would offer a prayer in his honor and remembrance. As you said, everyday is important and it is. stay blessed my friend. Inspiring thoughts as always.

12. semprevento says:

Bellissimiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    vento

13. yen says:

What a sweet, heartwarming post you have here, Island Traveler. The photos are wonderful especially the one with the couple holding hands and the one with the chairs on the porch.:) great photography and post!

• Thank you. Those two photos were my favorite. The couple was me and my wife . That photo reminded me of the things we went through together, in times of joy and pain. The second photo reminded me of what couples fear the most, when their life long partner have to leave this world to be with our maker. I saw it happened to my mom’s parents and it’s a heart breaking experience for all of us. My grandpa died first and just before that year ended my grandma followed.

14. thirdeyemom says:

It just so happens my son’s birthday is 11/11, He turned seven yesterday and I was wondering what if it would have been his 11th birthday? While I was in China, I read that many couples were choosing that date 11/11/11 to get married as it is supposed to be lucky. Hmmm… great post!

• Belated Happy 7th Birthday to your son. Mine just turned 6 last month. It’s amazing how they are growing so fast. If only I can slow it down a little bit so I can enjoy each moment of their wonderful childhood. I read your post on China. Just full of adventure and excitement. I’m happy for you that you get to follow your dreams of travelling. Be safe my friend. Stay blessed on your journeys. Best wishes to your family.

15. jhirzel88 says:

11/11/11 was the day I planned to close my jhirzel1988 YouTube account. That was just a temporary account, which I wanted to close for months because of a complication with my jhirzel88 email address being used, without making a new email address first. Well, I just had to say that, so I said it.

Yes, I did hear that a lot of celebrities weddings were planned on that day.

• That is a significant decision and event. I hope you get to make a new email address soon so you can go back to your Youtube account. I haven’t used my Youtube account for a long time now, may be I should. What matters my friend is that you do what you love and what makes you happy. Big or small, simple or grandious, what counts is it is meaningful to you. Wishing you and your family tons of blessings.

Another beautiful day to make the most of it! Since the semester has just ended, I was lucky I had a full Saturday to spend with my family. My wife and I cooked our favorite foods. We had a foodtrip and had our son played at our place’s park. A picture of an ordinary day yet for someone as busy as me becomes extraordinary. Since I started doing part-time jobs, I rarely spend two straight days with them, so 11-11-11 paved the way for me to spend two consecutive days with my family. Unfortunately, next week (I mean now) is going back to normal as the second semester has just started … today.

• Bro, I admire you for making those times, short as they are extraordinary and memorable. You are a hardworking man. Family, School, work…..those are hard to juggle. You inspired me in a way to do the same even if sometimes trying to manage my responsibilties gets to be difficult and tiring. I’m just human and sometimes I feel worn out. So , just like you after 2-3 days of reenergizing, I have to go back in the game. What I learned though is that it is not the amount of time that matters but on how we spend that time to make meaningful and memorable experiences for our love ones. Thanks for sharing an inspiring comment.

17. thirdhandart says:

A beautiful, inspiring post! I was lucky enough to spend 11/11/11 with my husband at the WWI Museum. Admission was free and the museum had a special ceremony to honor Veterans.

Thank you for reminding me that one sincerely expressed “I Love You” is all it takes to make any day magical. Family and loved ones are the most important things in life.

Blessings to you and your loved ones!

• WWI Museum with your husband sounds a like a beautiful day to celebrate this day and event. A perfect place to remember and value the sacrifices of our heroes. Thank you for sharing this wonderful day of remembrance with me. As for the magic of a sincere, “I Love You,” they’re the most enchanting words anyone could ever receive from the people he/she cares about.
      Thank you. A blessed day to you and your family always…

18. Your words and photos always inspire. You have an amazing talent. I want you to know that I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your photo captures of the moments you choose to share. I believe you deserve the Creative Captures Award. Enjoy the fact that someone out here in the blogosphere really does see and enjoys your photos of moments. Stop by to get your badge if you would like to show others your award status. Keep blogging, keep photographing, keep inspiring, and keep sharing. Congratulations! : )
    Award Info: https://justramblinpier.wordpress.com/
    Just Ramblin’

• Thank you my friend. You always brings about a smile and inspiration with each visit.Today is even more memorable because of the wonderful award, ” Creative Captures Award.” Awards like this makes me think that I must be doing something right and it’s one of the most amazing feeling a blogger can ever experience. Thank you and I do look forward in reading and sharing this beautiful award. Have a blessed day my friend and best wishes to your family.

19. Well done, as always. It is a very inspirational write.
    It gives one reason to ponder how we live our lives.
    We never believe that tomorrow will never come. It
    is always taken for grated that it will. Nothing should
    ever be taken for granted. At those moments of
    disaster we always say, ” I wish I had ….” Never wait for
    those; always do it now.
    My husband and I wake in the morning and give each
    other a five minute hugs before we even think of another
    thing. At night, I look forward to my five minute hug again
    before I close my eyes. What greater way to show you
    love someone than to have a five minute hug without even
    having that morning cup of cafe?? ~~~~~ : – )
    Thanks for always writing posts that create dialog.
    Blessings,
    Isadora
    P.S. The photo of your son is precious.

• So beautiful my friend. The hugs in the morning and at night before going to sleep are just romantic as well as a gesture of heart that loves and truly cares. These stories inspire me more to be more affectionate. A lot of times we missed moments when we could have made someone’s day special or uplift a sad heart and this post and the sharing we made reminds all of us that it’s not to late to start living and loving today. Always a comment of inspiration, Isadora, thank you. Wishing you and your family love and happiness.

20. The Hook says:

Sounds like a good day to me…
    Beautiful post, my friend.

21. hawleywood40 says:

What a beautiful post. Delightfully simple things, yet so meaningful. I want to make every day full of those special gestures – sincere “I love yous” and genuine connection with friends. Thanks for this lovely reminder!

• Sincere “I love yous” and genuine connection with friends. In the end, this may be all we need to find true peace and happiness in our hearts. Thank for for the visit . It’s always a pleasure to hear your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed this post. And having to read that you want to make everyday full of gestures that express sincere “I Love You,” made me happy that we all are making a difference to someone , one day, one post, one comment and one blog at a time. Have a wonderful weekend. Best wishes to you and your family. Thank you.

• Your welcome and thank you too. We can make any ordinary day meaningful , even unforgettable if we chose to do so. A giving heart and a wild imagination can do anything. Have a great weekend.

22. Pingback: Inside the National WWI Museum « Thirdhandart's Weblog

23. Island traveler!!! Don’t you write so well? Hmmm… why didn’t i see this on 11-11-11? Maybe wi would have done something memorable i will still remember when am a 100, wrinkled and old, bending with my wooden cane. I would be smiling when i remember and then my grand children would be forced to ask me the reason why and then i would recount the story they have heard over and over again. Thank God for the gift of life so there will be 12-12-12 for me and it must be memorable. Nice one Island traveler! Great one infact!

24. “Thank God for the gift of life so there will be 12-12-12 for me and it must be memorable.” I believe it will happen for you my friend. It’s a priceless and treasured gift that anyone could ever have. I hope to one day, when I’m also 100 to recount the beautiful and inspiring days of the past with my grandchildren. Thoughts like these makes me feel hopeful and optimistic that the future will be filled with love, peace and happiness. We need to believe that it would be so our future generations would have a chance to have a better life. Have a blessed day to you and your love ones. Thank you for sharing.

25. Carpe diem, right, my friend?!

You couldn’t have said it any better: “Great food plus great love equals perfect day!” :)

We look at life through many lens and truly experience it in our hearts… I still love this post… Thanks for the pingback! :-)

27. aRVee says:

Hmmm, I have this same thought and I was really planning to write anything about this date or even capture anything just so to document the event, but I did not, so kudos to you for actually writing a post on 11.11.11. Should you had won that lotto, I could have beg for a round trip, haha…

I love the second photo… What a sweet couple. Thanks for sharing and you have a blessed day ahead! :)