Weekly Photo Challenge: Wonder

A Child’s World Is Full Of Wonders

Through my son’s eyes, I get to see a child’s world that is full of wonders, amazement, excitement and imagination that doesn’t seem to have boundaries. It reminds me of the movie “Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory” which made me dream as a child that somewhere in this world, a place where a river of flowing chocolate and a garden of colorful candies exist.

Does The Fascinating World Of Atlantis Exist? I wondered.

One of the places I always thought existed as a boy was the hidden world of the Atlantis. I had this compilation of “Reader’s Digest Amazing Stories: Fact or Fiction” which I would read again and again. Stories that ranges from vampires to the epic Titanic were some of the fascinating topics that captured my wild imagination.

Well, I do know now that it doesn’t exist but in a way it is a metaphor of a place where excitement, adventure and endless fun happens.

At an amusement park, my son excitedly asked me, “dad, let’s ride that thing where you go up and then get wet when it goes down.” The thing he was referring about was the thrilling water roller coaster ride called Journey To Atlantis at Sea World which we both discovered to be refreshingly fun last year during our Thanksgiving out of town family getaway.

Having issues with heights, I braced myself as we slowly went up the coaster ramp. I distracted myself by looking up and not below where everything seems weirdly small and hazy.

I felt my heart stayed at the original point of the drop as the coaster plunge downwards to an almost 90 degrees angle. I wasn’t sure who’s scream was louder, my son’s or mine. We both shouted, “Ahh” at the top of our lungs and as we landed, large amount of cold water splashed all over us. The initial scary drop was followed by generous laughter. A laughter that made me reflect that perhaps, even for a brief moment, I felt how it was to be in Atlantis, real or not. For a moment, time froze and all I felt was pure joy and excitement. In a way, I journeyed to the euphoric world of Atlantis.

As we walked out towards the exit, drenched and dripping, my son grinned happily and said, “that was awesome. Let’s do it again, dad!” I said to myself, “Oh no, here we go again.”

I wonder what lies beneath the sea. Is there another world where dreams come alive and imagination takes form freely? I wonder, I wonder...

I hope you enjoyed my version of this week’s photo challenge. May it open the amazing wonders of your childhood memories where you once believed that places like Atlantis exist.

What filled your thoughts with wonder as a child? You’ll be surprised by how much wonderful memories you can remember.

This entry was posted in family, Inspiration, kids, Life, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

99 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Wonder

1. barb19 says:

Children see the world as a place of wonderment – especially the first time they see something new and exciting. If we could only see through a child’s eye – but we can – through our own children, and we can feel the same wonderment again!

• ” If we could only see through a child’s eye – but we can – through our own children, and we can feel the same wonderment again!” This is one reason everyday, every event, every moment is a time to celebrate …..
      The world can be overwhelming sometimes, it’s my son and our adventures together that keeps me sane….and hopeful that tomorrow is another day, even a day that will bring surprise and joy of me….thanks for a wonderful comment. Stay blessed.

2. winsomebella says:

These are wonder-filled pictures. You captured it perfectly.

Definitely! Your world is full of glorious wonder and your pictures and blog posts have been a testimony to that fact… I always enjoy visiting you as there is always something fresh and wondrous to read and comment on. Have a blessed week ahead! :-)

• A wonderful comment that brings me joy and inspiration each time. The Photos reminds me that we should celebrate and enjoy life everyday, to make it fun and special for our families who stood with is through the years. Stay blessed my friend.

4. Maggie L R says:

I love the wonder of children, I enjoy taking my grandchildren exploring the world simply to show them wonder after wonder.

I bet your eyes were filled with wonder really big as the water roller coaster dropped down!

• Yep, they were wide to go with the loud scream. As I get older, I’m less fond of thrilling rides. I get easily get freaked out with heigths and deep plunges. But I just have to brave it up for my son. It’s all about giving him a great time to remember. Thanks.

6. Connie T says:

I really like your pictures.

Sounds very fun. I remembered my childhood.
    I want to ride on it again but my children refuse to ride on it together because they feel scary. :smile:

• One day they will be the one to pull your hand and say, “let’s go dad, let’s go!” My son was scared a bit when he was smaller but since last year, he’s the one leading me to the thrilling rides. I’m now the one thinking twice as I ask myself, “should I ride that?” It’s funny how the world turns and situations reversed. Have a fun weekend with your family.

8. Great post, we should all take time to see the world through the eyes of a child. I too liked the thought of Atlantis as a child, heck I still like to think about it from time to time ;)

• The captivating story of the Atlantis is timeless. Until now who’s to say 100% that it doesn’t exist. There are a lot of unexplainable mystical forces around us. For most of them, all it takes is to believe that they are somewhere out there, waiting to be discovered. Imagination keeps us feeling alive and motivated. We should never loose that part of us that yearns to explore and discover. Thanks . Have a great weekend.

9. Arindam says:

Lovely pictures with perfect captions. Wonderful post!

10. thirdhandart says:

A perfect entry for this week’s challenge. To see wonder and amazement in a child’s face is magical!

11. pix & kardz says:

what a post full of wonder!
    childhood memories of wonder? the first that comes to mind is Christmas – including baking, gifts, singing carols, looking at Christmas lights at night, and discovering colourfully wrapped gifts under the tree…..

• I love Christmas too. It’s an event I want to celebrate for as long as I can. It reminds me of my childhood, the warmth around a Christmas tree with my siblings and parents. The innocent , generous laughter….just a happy day! I was thinking of posting a Christmas tree at one point, they are every where now. We do need a bit of cheering from all the problems we were all exposed to in 2011. We all deserve some happiness and a reason to celebrate. Advance Happy Thanksgiving…..another holiday that brings a smile to my heart.

12. shoma says:

great idea…. It helps me too in choosing pics for this challenge. I was little unsure of what all to include!!

13. Sabina Brave says:

Great post, and amazing pictures :)

14. Cheryl says:

Wonderful interpretation of the challenge. What could be more captivating than seeing the world through a child’s eyes and re-discovering the enchantment of every-day living. Spectacular imagery.

• “What could be more captivating than seeing the world through a child’s eyes and re-discovering the enchantment of every-day living.” Well summed up my friend. We are lucky to see them through the eyes of our children and grandchildren. Have a blessed day . Best wishes….

15. Caroline says:

Oh a child’s world is definitely filled with many wonderful and unique wonders! I love the first photo looking on the wonder and hopes for a great day!

• Me too. It reminds me that no matter how big the world is, we can discover it’s wonders if we want to. As long as we are alive, their is hope that we can experience all the fun and beautiful wonders out there. Thanks….

16. Rois says:

Child’s world is way more fascinating than ours. Good posting!
    And thanks for stopping by at my blog.

17. Jo Bryant says:

every one of these photos is like a mini story – love them all

18. Judith says:

What a wonderful childhood you are creating for your son. His memories will sustain him through any difficulties he may experience in years to come. He is a beautiful boy.

19. Oh these photos definitely remind me of growing up and going to six flags. And I agree with Judith, you are creating such a wonderful childhood for your son :)

• My dad gave me a lot of great memories as a child and being a dad now made me appreciate the efforts and sacrifices he made so me and my 5 siblings can have a better and happy life. It is my turn now to show my son the wonderful stuff out there, to help him make his own beautiful childhood memories. Every child deserve one. Thanks.

20. jakesprinter says:

Beautiful ,Excellent post for this week theme :)

21. nuvofelt says:

All life is a wonder when seen through the eyes of a child.

• So right my friend, so right. As adults with lots of worries, we tend to forget that life is more than just trying to make ends meet. Life needs to be celebrated, to be meaningful, to be filled with happy experiences. How funny that it takes a child to remind us to chill , pause and enjoy life. And for that I’m thankful.

I enjoyed reading this, Bro! I mean really. I am glad you are also this “kid” like me up to now. Honestly, I love vampires (and actually believe they do exist). The idea of immortality and all that unearthly reflexes amaze me the very first time I watched “Fright Night” till “Blade” was born and “Underworld” was made. You sure know what I am talking’ about. Because of that, I was also hooked on playing Vampire Wars on facebook. I made a remarkable ranking there after playing for almost a year. The kid in me is bragging now :-)

Atlantis also brings me wonder; in fact, I followed this TV series in GMA entitled Atlantika, which is an adaptation of (the many movies and stories about) Atlantis. In addition to what filled my thoughts as a child I also believed (believe) in magic or the thought of having superpowers. I am so wanting to possess the power of flight given the chance. Sigh …

Being a child truly is a wonder, Bro. I owe you this feeling of wonder I am now experiencing because of putting back the kid in my head even just for a while. We’re lucky we both have a son to mirror ourselves from time to time. Being a kid helps us counter the aging process. Hehe … It’s a thing great and we are so blessed with that alone, don’t you think?

Regards to your family.

p.s.

Experience mountain climbing if you haven’t tried it yet. It was how I conquered my batophobia.

• Wow….it’s like reading the list of shows and stories that I’m crazy about. I stop counting the times I watched Blade 1-3, Underworld 1-2 and the old Fright Night. And there’s the True Blood, Vampire Diaries , Supernatural series that I follow religiously. I’m not familiar with GMA’s Atlantika since my wife is more of a ABS-CBN fan. We would watch “Immortal” to the dot till it ended. Then there’s my fascination for werewolves and zombies. I guess we just have wild imagination and that actually cool for our creative thinking. My son is into zombie games…cartoon-like really. As for superpowers and superheroes…I’m a fan of those too. Who can resist X-men, Iron Man , Thor, even Captain America, right ?
      We are lucky to have our son’s around to keep us on our feet and help us rediscover our youth and childhood. It’s one of the great things of being a dad! Love every moment of it.
      Bro, Thanks for sharing . I truly appreciate that. It is always awesome to hear another point of view from another father’s perspective. As for mountain climbing, I will try it when opportunity comes. I probably be gasping for air but be worth it.
      Best wishes to your wife and son. Wishing you all a wonderful life….”salamat.”

• Sony Fugaban says:

Oh yeah, the T.V. Series and those Marvel Superheroes. Of course I followed those and I’d like to add Moonlight and Blood Ties on the T.V. series list. It’s the only T.V. series I watched on the local channels as I am really into RPN 9 and Studio 23. I watched a bit of Immortal too but my part-time job at night (MWF) keeps me away from it so I gave it up.

At present, I am following The Secret Circle — similar to the defunct Charmed except that the main characters are teenagers. The series revolves around twelve teenage witches and warlocks that form an infamous coven known as ‘The Secret Circle’.

You are always welcome!

I mean, it’s a great thing …

24. ~MJ~ says:

Beautiful pictures and a wonderful glimpse of one of many special memories you are making with your son. I always welcome the opportunity to spend time with my boys to share in their imaginations, you never know what adventure is waiting for you. :)

• So, right. We’ll never know what adventure is waiting for us when we are around our children. They bring out the most fun and amazing surprises. Aren’t we so lucky to have them in our lives? Over all, it’s great to be a parent. Thanks for sharing . Best wishes to you and your family.

25. zingaling23 says:

This is absolutely amazing! Your way of going about this challenge is very unique and the photos almost tell a story. The colors are also something I’ve never seen before. Keep it up, awesome work!

26. This post’s first picture fills me with wonder!

So many things amazed and delighted me when I was little. Most of these things were fantastic, things I’d daydreamed with my siblings or found in books.

Yesterday, I got to spend a few hours at Universal City with my honey. He’s not much of a coaster fan, so he wasn’t thrilled through most of the Jurassic Park ride leading up to the final drop. He was good company about it nevertheless.

After we got off the ride, we checked out the pictures. He laughed and said, “You’re the only one. Everyone else is holding on for dear life, and you’ve just got your arms all the way up with that crazy happy grin.”

Li’l D helps me find most my wonder now, but I can still find it without him on occasion. ;)

• Thanks. The Jurassic Park ride is one of my favorite too. Last year, it was my son’s first to ride with me and my wife. He was grinning from end to end. I was scared he might fall off during the plunge. Like you, my son too is my source of wonder. This morning his girl classmate’s mom picked him up so they can car pool together. He asked the mom if he can join her on their way to school. I was trying to hide my smile but was filled with surprise and wonder. Their both 6. Just adorable! Have a wonderful day. Best wishes to you, Li’D and your honey.

27. jhirzel88 says:

If only I could ever put the thoughts of amuzement parks to mind when I imagine the things I imagine. I just like to have fun. Atlantis was a real place to me only because of so many rides that are named after it. That’s the only thing that matters. It’s real if we can think of it as a ride. Once I left the amuzement park, those thoughts started to slip away. I now know that it would be such a scientific discovery if Atlantic was found at the bottom of the ocean.

I liked the Superman ride at Six Flags. I enjoyed experiencing the twists and turns. I did scream a little bit, but at the end, I smiled with excitement and I wanted to go again.

• I wasn’t brave enough to ride the Superman ride at Six Flags yet….I may need some sedative for that.You were right when you said, ” it’s real if we can think of it as a ride, ” perhaps even more if we think of it can possibly exist. Anything is possible….man reached the moon, the world turned out not square, a fish thought extinct was discovered swimming in South Africa….So, can Atlantis right?
      I was at Macy’s yesterday and one of the Christmas decor said, ” Believe.” I said to myself, “yes, all I need is to believe…do my best and any dreams can turn into a reality.”
      Stay cool my friend. Best wishes to your family.

28. Louise says:

Kids are so lucky that they have the sense of wonder. We are lucky as parents because we can relieve the moments with them.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Louise

29. Love, love, LOVE! THe first picture in this post. The colors are AMAZING. The content is beautiful. In this case, a picture is worth a thousand words. I love how your photograph catpure the essence of your story. You are truly blessed to be able to share such amazing moments with your son and family. May you have many more!

• Sometimes It amazes me how my son simply blends with the wonders around him, everything in that moment becomes magic. I thought it was just me and my wide imagination but even the camera agrees with me that there is a beautiful, mesmerizing connection between a child’s happy , creative personality and the world around him/her. They see things that we don’t, everything around them transform into a giant play land that anything can happen. I was just lucky to be there when that magic happens. A blessed day to you and your family. Thanks…

Imagination nurture our spirit! Never let it go away!! :D

31. A great entry and I like the narrative to go with the photographs

32. Fun … I love to watch everyone getting off of those rides. The look of
    fear and laughter combined brings a smile to my face. I haven’t the stomach
    for them but my kids were daredevils. The scarier the ride the better. Sounds
    like everyone was happy.
    Yes … seeing the world through a child’s eye is to see the world of “Wonder”.
    Well done …
    Blessings,
    Isadora

• This is one ride I was brave enough. My son told me he wants the big boys coaster soon. I told myself, ” Oh. no!” That means I need to prepare myself for the scarier ride. My wife gets dizzy with this rides and so I’m the only one my son can ride it with. I did one at Universal 2 years ago. I thought I was going to pass out. I made it in one piece though. Thanks for for the fun and generous comments . Wishing you and your family tons of wonderful blessings.

33. Patti Kuche says:

The colours, the excitement with the mystery and fantasy of so much wonder and awe. And all captured so beautifully to form this wonderful narrative for your little boy to have with him as he grows older. I love that you have so much fun together, and share it with us! Thank you!

34. One day, he will be the one telling me as he leads my hand, “dad, they discovered Atlantis, let’s go see it together.” This thought reminded me when they discovered Titanic, a tragic event in the past that captured the hearts of the entire nation. Some wonders can turn out real. Thanks….stay blessed always my friend.

35. The Hook says:

Being a Dad truly means exploring the “Final Frontier”, right? Your son will become YOUR teacher as well and in the end, you’re to going to have enough blog fodder to last your entire life!

• I’m looking forward for those days but for now, I have another day to celebrate awesome moments with him. He keeps me on my feet and keeps me believing that I can dream and have it come true at the same time. For that, I’m grateful each day. Thanks and have a blessed day. Best wishes to your family…

• Looking forward on those days but for now, I have another day to celebrate and discover. I’m hoping to spend a lot of “Final Frontier” adventures with him. Because of him, I learned to believe, hope and dream once again. Best part of being a dad. Stay blessed my friend and best wishes to your family.

36. Fox@n says:

I love your pictures. So crisp and HD. Great post I enjoyed it.

37. Great post, wonderful pictures! I wish we could all see the world through the child’s eyes. Thank you for sharing!!

• It’s never to late my friend. As long as there is breathe in us, we can try to explore the world like a child does. The last 2 years had been fun for me since my son started expressing which places of adventures he wants to go. I’m a willing co-explorer in his adventures. I’m a lucky dad. I think for as long as we embrace opportunities for fun, we can all have a great time. Thanks for sharing . Have a blessed day….

38. dadirri7 says:

so much fun and wonder, brings similar memories to me, fantasy and awe and laughter! blessings to you too :)

39. jbheronneau says:

Simply amazing!
    Love the colors of your pictures and the “scenarios”!
    The composition of all of them is great!
    You’ve got the talent mate :)

• Thanks. It’s amazing how a simple rainy day, creates stunning cloud formations that even my camera can’t fully capture. It was drizzling for most of that day. I was crossing my fingers the lightning won’t strike as we rode the water coaster ride. Stay cool…..

40. Frank Bishop says:

That last picture is now my wallpaper. The colors are amazing. Good job!

• I’m honored. When nature , landscape, man-made wonders and a perfect moment combines, a memorable image is born. I taught they were cool photos too. It’s a happy event for me to remember. Have a fun weekend my friend. Thanks for each visit….

41. Barb says:

Isn’t it wonderful there are place to dream, drift and capture the imagination. Love the post. Thanks

• It is wonderful to find a place where you can “dream, drift and capture the imagination.” It’s a place where we can be ourselves and have the best of times. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend.

Priceless moments with your family — wonderful!

43. These colors are amazing! : )

44. yen says:

Really love the pictures you take, sir. The love and the affection that you have for your family always shines through them. I’ve always loved that chocolate-y river since I first saw that in that movie.:) I can only imagine the thrill of going down that water roller coaster ride. Memories like that are priceless for kids. It’ll always be imprinted on their minds and hearts.

• Thank you. The Coaster ride was fun and somewaht scary at the same time, atleast for me. I was in elementary when I first saw Willie Wonka and I thought it was amazing. Life and entertainment were simple then.Yes, memories like these are priceless to kids. It gives them a happy childhood to remember and hopefully to share when they get older. Best wishes to you and your family.

45. Your photos capture that wonderful excitement that a child views the world with – I guess you crouched down to view the park from your childs view point? You mentioned my all time fav film too! Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory encapsulates everything I dreamt of when I was young – I used to dream of having liquid chocolate on tap at my school desk and then travel home on a Dr.Seuss roller coaster contraption via weird & wonderful landscapes. Lovely post & happy hols.

• Yep, had to crouched down to view the park from the child’s view. As for Dr. Seuss roller coaster, in a way I got to ride it with my family at Universal in Orlando Florida….I felt like a kid once again and it felt truly great. Thank you for such a wonderful sharing. Have a blessed and fun weekend.

46. This is a wonderful story. You did an amazing job of conveying the wonder of a child, but as an adult. Not an easy thing to do.

I really enjoyed reading this post.

• I know. Being an adult with our work, stress and responsibilities and all, it’s easy to loose that “happy” and “fun” part of us but personally as I’m getting older , and my life span getting shorter, I’m opening my doors to life’s sweet adventures. We only live once and most of this chances only comes once as well and so I decided on my 40th Birthday to live life and open my heart and eyes like a child does. Everyday, my son reminds me of that vow and it’s the best gift I gave to myself. So, here’s to a wonderful life ahead my friend!

47. Pingback: The Weekly Photo Challenge: Wonder (Better late than never!) « Hurtled to 60 and Now Beyond…

48. aRVee says:

Beautiful pictures my friend… :)

Ours is grown now, but it was wonderful seeing life through his eyes. Not so much the rides- I always was a scaredy-cat! Thanks for your visit and kind comments.