Weekly Photo Challenge: Breakfast

Sweet Breakfast

I always have a weakness for sweets. After each breakfast, I would crave for a mouth-watering dessert. It’s my treat for myself after a long night at work. I know that it’s loaded with calories but I would tell myself, “I only got to live once. Life is too short not to indulge in little things that makes me happy.” Besides, I try to eat in  moderation and exercise every now and then. So, for my next breakfast, I’m going to indulge in one of these.

Surprise Breakfast

I told my wife early of this year that I don’t want to celebrate my 40th Birthday. I guess at the back of my mind I was still in denial that I’m going to hit that “mid-life” age that most men dread about. I wasn’t sure if I should be scared or excited.

On my actual Birthday, I was scheduled to work and so I did. I figured out that it’s a great way to distract myself from dwelling to much on what this age means to me.

As I opened the garage door, I was greeted by my son. He gave me a hug and a kiss. He then told me to close my eyes. He led me to the kitchen and as I opened my eyes, he said, “surprise! Happy Birthday dad.”

We all sang “Happy Birthday” twice. The first one I blew the candles and the second one my son and I blew the candles together. It was a happy and memorable day for me.

While we were all enjoying the cake, I realized that this day holds a key for a better and brighter future for me if I want to. I vowed on that day to start living to the fullest. I promised myself that I will try my best to experience each opportunity for fun, happiness, excitement and unforgettable memories with my family.

There are so much things I still want to do in this lifetime. To many adventures I wish I could share with my son and so many moonlit skies to gaze with my wife. But life unfortunately is too short and all I can do is make the most of today. I hope that one day I could say to myself, “I lived my life filled with lasting love and a legacy that brought meaning to others. That it was a happy and fruitful journey to the last steps I made.”

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. May your days be filled with peace and happiness. May you always be embraced with the warmth of the love of your family and friends.

What’s the one breakfast that brought you a sweet surprise?

This entry was posted in Events, family, Inspiration, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

110 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Breakfast

1. aRVee says:

Surprises are great especially on special occasions. Sorry to have missed your birthday, when was it, if I may ask and that only if you wanted to share.

Belated happy 40th birthday to you my friend. I wish you all the best and stay blessed! :)

2. 3rd Culture Children says:

Thank you for sharing these beautiful images… and memories… hitting 40 is definitely a bit one! My kids and husband also “surprised” me with a 40th-birthday breakfast… at 6am… imagine that… were way to excited… and the only thing I wanted to do for my “special morning”, was sleep past 7… :o but hey, that’s how we build memories, right? Cheers, and congratulations! Happy Thanksgiving, as well! :o

• Thank you. Surprises like these makes our Birthday special and unforgettable. A simple cake with lots of thought and love can bring so much happiness to just about anyone….we both are lucky that our love one’s made our day truly memorable. Best wishes to you and your family . Have a blessed Thanksgiving….

3. Connie T says:

Those pictures of food look great.

• Thank you. They do look tempting. Sometimes I have to stop myself from eating those sweets for health reasons but every now and then I treat myself after a tiring day or special occassions. Yesterday, my son wanted a “Volcano” desert at Rainforest Cafe with sparkles and all. It was delicious.

4. The first image is amazing! When you have the time, do drop by my new post. I’d love to hear from you.

ha ha….I used to be 40. Your birthday looked like a wonderful day. And I’ve read that we will regret more what we didn’t do at the end of our lives….so go out and just do it!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family.

• ” We will regret more what we didn’t do at the end of our lives….so go out and just do it!”
      I food for thought that promises happiness and contentment. It’s amazing how age can open all of the sudden what’s important in our lives. When I was in my 20’s, it’s all about passing college, in my 30’s, it’s success in my work and starting a family and now at the beginning of my 40’s , it’s living life and finding happiness. In a way, age reminds me of a wine, the older we get, the richer the flavor.
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I wish you all a wonderful week of togetherness. Stay blessed my friend.

Happy birthday to you. Every year I’m glad to spend the day with my family.
    You must be so.
    The sweet looks so delicious. Nice shots. :smile:

• Just like you, every year I thank God for the time he allows me to have and enjoy with my family. It’s a humbling experience that we can’t control tomorrows destiny. We can only hope and pray that we have many meaningful,and celebrated days ahead of us, days we spend with our spouses and kids. Thank you and best wishes to you and your family.

7. tmso says:

Happy belated Birthday! Awesome cakes. Not sure I could eat any of that for breakfast (who am I kidding?), but they look good.

• Thank you. The huge cakes looked intimidating but from my experience, left over cake with coffee works well together for breakfast. Kind of like “green tea and tea cookies,” or “pancakes with orange juice or hot choco.”
      A sweet a day, keeps depression away….ha, ha, ha! Have a wonderful week.

8. RVingGirl says:

May the Lord bless you on this special birthday and bring you many more healthy and happy ones. Enjoy your family. They are blessings from Almighty God.

• The life we live and the family we have are indeed God’s precious blessings for us. Sometimes I ask myself, “what did I do to deserve God’s priceless gift?” I know that I have my short comings but what can we do, he is indeed a loving and generous God who does not judge. A God that listens and forgives unconditionally. A God who seeks his children no matter what their past were. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

9. Surprised is right! Holy Moly now that would be a breakfast.

• A “holy molly” breakfast indeed. In reality, I only eat in moderation. These stuff though heavenly are loaded with calories and sugar. So, I still need to control myself not eat more than I can burn. Thank you. Happy Thansgiving and a blessed day to you and your family.

At 40 you are still a Spring Chicken…but waste no time..enjoy your life, try your adventures, count the stars and be happy.

• My friend, I will take all those advise by heart. “Enjoy life, try adventures, count the stars and be happy” I wish the same beautiful thoughts for you. We all deserve to be happy. As for being a “Spring Chicken,” I guess I am but I can’t help but feel that I now need to double time in achieving my dreams in life. May be I’m just over thinking it. One thing for sure though, that it feels great to celebrate life in a meaningful way everyday. Have a blessed day and best wishes.

11. Arindam says:

Happy Belated Birthday you. As always nice photographs. Happy thanks giving. :)

12. Pingback: 200th Post! Weekly Photo Challenge: breakfast « 3rdculturechildren

13. wolke205 says:

Late Happy Birthday to you :) Nice photos! Breakfast was a “special family time” for me the last couple of years. When I lived with my mom we only had the weekends to sit & eat together. We enjoyed a large breakfast before we went to see horsie. Almost the same with my hubby to be, it s a good start in the day. I have to add I m a total Nutella addict (it s hard not to eat it at this time, but I want to look good in my wedding dress next year) :D

Happy Thanksgiving to you & the family :)

• Thank you my friend. I wish you lots of love , romance and happiness. I’m excited for you that soon wedding bells are coming your way. It’s an ultimate fairy tale come true when love shared is made whole. I enjoy Nutella too. As for breakfast, it’s a good start in my day too. Happy Thanksgiving too . All blessings to you and your wonderful family.

14. mysterycoach says:

Happy Birthday!!!! I would like some of number one picture please :) I’ll clean up and do dishes!LOL

• If only you live close to me, I would bring them to you in person with coffee or tea. A delicous desert, a favorite drink and great company are all intertwined for an amazing day. As for the dishes, don’t worry, we’ll use disposables!
      A blessed day to you and your family. Thanks for the comment.

15. Happy Birthday! What a milestone and delicious dishes!

Cheers,
    Louise

16. Pingback: Wordpress Weekly Photo Challenge: Breakfast | I Choose Happy Now

17. Gail says:

Happy Belated Birthday !Sounds like you had a delightful birthday. Turning 40 was a bit of an eye opener for me too. But then, when I turned 50 (gosh that’s still hard for me to say and believe), I really laughed and felt like 40 is so young! And it is!! You are so right…. life IS too short and all we can do is make the most of today. Blessings to you and your family.

• I’m predicting now that 50 is going to be a blast. A day to celebrate the good things I had and of the bright days ahead….short as it may be. It’s no longer about quantity but rather on having quality and memorable life . Thanks you for letting me see that a beautiful future lies ahead when I get to that age. God bless you always and your wonderful family.

The photos are of delicious and decadent treats – but oh soooo yummy. Happy 40th!

• Thank you. Sweets are like “caffeine” to me. It’s a perfect start to a bright and happy day. Sugars are known to perk the energy and place people on hyper mode. I’m one of these people and I enjoy every moment of it. Have a great and fun Thankgiving week. best wishes to you and your family.

19. jeanne says:

Lovely sweets..Happy Thanksgiving to you and your precious family! God Bless you.

20. thirdhandart says:

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have the day off and can spend it with your beloved family. And, happy belated birthday! Your birthday cake and all of the other breakfast sweets look delicious.

• My friend, I got lucky this year. I am off for Thanksgiving. My family and I will go back to Sea World for 1 day and a midnight madness at San Marcos Prime outlet with friends. It’s going to be a fun Thanksgiving. Thanks for the greeting, Wishing you and your family a bountiful Thanksgiving and happy memories.

21. john tugano says:

Belated happy birthday my friend..That was really a nice and sweet surprise.Anyone would be so happy if your loved ones made an effort to make you happy on your special occasion.
    I also have the so called sweet tooth that I always crave for sweets..hehehe..I been out lately because of Inluenza and I’ll be back later to see what I missed in your blog..

keep blogging bro,God bless your family always..=)

• Bro, hope you get well soon. Take care of your health first. We’ll be here when you come back. So, we are classmates when it comes to having a “sweet tooth,” huh? I grew up around cakes and pastries and that kind of stuck with me till now. My wife love sweets too . We are partners in our sweet rendezvous. Thank you for the greeting and the wonderful thoughts. Blessings and happines to you and your family.

22. Sabina Brave says:

So many yummy things! I become hungry now :)
    Happy belated Birthday, and happy Thanksgiving.

• Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too. This is a day to be with our loves ones, share of blessings, rekindle the love in our families, to be inspired, to be grateful of what we had for the past year.Take care…

23. Cheryl says:

Happy Birthday, Mr. B! Great post.

24. Gobetween says:

I will not argue with you, cake for breakfast sounds wonderful :)

• Cake with coffee in the morning, perfect combo of caffeine and sugar to brighten up any day. I used to wake up all excited after a families Birthday because of the left over cake. Still do. Thanks for the comment. Have a blessed day my friend. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

25. yen says:

Belated Happy Birthday, Sir! Sweet gesture from your family.:) You are blessed. I pray that God would bring you new truckloads of blessings and His love to your and your family!

• I appreciate all these wonderful and generous thoughts and well wishes. Thank you. I hope and pray for lots of blessings, love , good health, peace and happines to you and your family as well. I wish you the good tidings of this Thanksgiving week and the days there after.

26. semprevento says:

Happy birthday to you!

• Thank you . That is sweet and thoughtful of you to send me a ” Happy Birthday” cartoon video. It made me smile happily. Thanks for sending me a bright and cheerful greeting to perk up my day. It has been a long day at work and this video definitely energized my mind and heart. Wishing you a beautiful week filled with love and happiness. take care…

27. You have ruined my keyboard. I have dribbled all over it. ~~~~ : – )
    MMmmm …. those desserts look good. I used to eat that type of breakfast for years. Then, one day my body was repulsed by sweets. I haven’t eaten sweets in at least 40 years. Thank G-d I do not miss them. But, I can admire them.
    Nice pix’s …
    Belated Birthday Wishes…
    May all your years be filled with all the love your arms can hold.
    Blessings,
    Isadora

• Thanks Isadora. Those words sound so sweet it made my heart swell in gladness. I hope one day I would have the same strength to say “No” to the sweet temptations of sugars. What’s your secret by the way?
      Love these words, “May all your years be filled with all the love your arms can hold.” I hope and pray it will happen for all of us. My friend,I wish you and your family happiness and abundant blessings. take care.

28. Happy Birthday “and” Happy Thanksgiving IT! That must have been one sweet birthday. Just remember, the older you get–the wiser you become! Ha! Ha! Seriously though, I hope that you have a wonderful holiday filled with warmth and happiness. :)

• “Just remember, the older you get–the wiser you become.” In my heart, I totally believe that. Thank you for the gift of generous well wishes and for a blogger frienship that brought me inspiration. Each words, always beautiful and heartfelt. The best gift I received this year is the gift of family and friends. I couldn’t ask for a more meaningful present. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Take care my friend.

29. I can tell you an Angry Birds breakfast would (like this post) be sweet! At first I couldn’t think of any particularly sweet breakfasts, and then I remembered an exchange from a morning where I had one after exchanging comments with you. I took Li’l D to IHOP right before taking him to the ocean on the 1.5-year anniversary of my mom’s death. Just as soon as we sat down, “Fast Cars” (Tracy Chapman) started playing. Every other song that played was one my mom loved, so that the music, the food and the giggles Li’l D brought made for a memorable, uplifting breakfast indeed. ♥

• That is one uplifting and memorable breakfast. Hearing your mom’s favorite song, having a delicious food and Li’l D’s generous smiles and giggles were all part of a magical and memorable breakfast. These times are priceless and will always be treasured. Thank you for sharing them to me and to the the other readers. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Wishing you lots of love and happy memories today and everyday.

30. Feliz Cumpleaños! Happy Birthday!…. You will share those deserts, right?

• I will definitely share them my friend. I share each slice to all my blogger friends. It’s the spirit of giving and togetherness that makes any Birthday, including mine special. Stay cool and inspired always. Wishing you and your family lots of blessings.

You’ve been bringing meaning to others, Bro. That’s absolute. Your posts are an attestation to that. Your optimism in life is way infectious than Ebola. That’s one of the best things about you. Belated happy birthday, again! I responded to your comment on Arvee’s latest post. It was there that I learned about your birthday.

Don’t worry about number 40. Age is just a number. What matters most is the meaning you brought to your life … and others.

God bless you and your family, bro.

• “Age is just a number.” I like that Bro. In a way, I was glad to turned 40. It made me rethink my priorities, of what’s important in my life. It’s easy to get lost with our daily work and responsibilities. It’s easy to loose track of time and before you know it, years has gone by. Those missed times we can never go back. At 40, I don’t want to miss those times anymore. I appreciate the generous and wonderful comment. Thanks for the greetings. They sounded totally cool.
      God bless you and your family always. May the spirit of Christmas and the holidays bring you and your love ones love and happiness.

Happy Birthday to you, my friend! :D

Happy Blessed Birthday and many more to come… I love your story and those cakes are delicious! Yummy! :-)
    ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜
    ¸¸.•*¨*•░H░A░P░P░Y░(¯`’•.¸ *♥♥♥* ¸.•’´¯) ░B░I░R░ T░H░D░A░Y░ (¯`’•.¸*♥♥♥*¸.•’´¯) Hope you enjoy YOUR special day!
    ║╚╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗ ║╚╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗ ║╚╦╦═╣╚╣╚╦╝╠═╦╦╗
    ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║╬║║╔╣╔╣║║╬║╬║║║
    ╚╩╩╩╣╔╣╔╩╗║ ╚╩╩╩╣╔╣╔╩╗║ ╚═╩╩╝╚═╩╩╩═╩╩╩╗║
    ¸.•*¨*•.♪♫♫♪Happy Birthday .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ♥Happy Birthday to youuuuu ♪♫•*¨*•.¸.•*¨*•♫
    ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜

• One of the sweetest and beautiful Birthday greetings I had. Thank you my friend. I could hear the BIrthday song in my head as I read your shared thoughts. Happy Thanksgiving. May this holiday bring you and your family loads of love , blessings and warm , happy memories to cherish for the years to come. Take care.

34. Love the angry birds

35. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Breakfast « Cheryl Andrews

36. Patti Kuche says:

Many Happy Birthday returns to you. Breakfast, the start of one day, a Birthday, the bonus blessing of another year. Yes, the numbers do add up but they really are only a state of mind. Enjoy the views from your 40 years, those behind you and those in front, as indeed we do with you!

• “Breakfast, the start of one day, a Birthday, the bonus blessing of another year. ” I read this several times. Beautifully made and so true. From now on, I will always remember that Birthdays are a blessing of another year. A year filled with great things and love to last a lifetime. Happy Thanksgiving my friend. May this event bring you and your family lots of blessings.

37. Fox@n says:

Happy birthday !
    Im sure those sweets would pack a punch.I wanna try the first one.
    Great post.

38. jakesprinter says:

I Love this post full of delicious :)

39. Thank you. At the end of making the post, I got hungry and craved for some sweets. Best wishes to you Bro and your family.

40. That breakfast looked amazing. It’s making me hungry right now lol. And that birthday cake looked amazing. And I wish you a happy belated birthday and a great thanksgiving :)

• My sis made the Birthday cake. She has a bakeshop next to our house where I grew up. I miss being with my parents and siblings. It would have been great if they were there to celebrate the day with just like we used to for the past 31 years. Oh, well. I can’t have all wishes granted. Thank you and have a memorable Thanksgiving.

41. MOL says:

Happy Birthday to you! When I turned 40, I expected a monumental change in my life. I woke up the next morning, and —- nothing! I was still who I was. Then now, I’ve turned 50 and again, I expected the monumental change. Nothing again. A few more aches and pains here and there. I get really stiff if I miss out on my workout routine for the week. I can’t eat as much as I used to. One thing’s for sure, we’re older indeed. But we are certainly wiser. I would not trade this for anything in the world. And so, my wise friend, enjoy your 40 years of contributing, experiencing, enjoying this world. To the next 10 years until the next milestone!

I love the goodies. As a treat for your birthday, feast your eyes on this one:

Loved the angry birds too!

• “One thing’s for sure, we’re older indeed. But we are certainly wiser. I would not trade this for anything in the world.” Love this words. Thank you . Now I’m looking forward for that 50th year….by then I hope my dreams have all come true and my debts paid off….ha, ha, ha! Seriously though, I hope to grow old like my parents. No regrets, full of love and joy, a life filled with wonderful memories. That’s part of my Birthday wish. Have a blessed day my friend. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

42. thedailydish says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! My husband turned 40 this year, too. You’re both still young — w/ years ahead of you. Of course, my husband says this is my philosophy b/c I’ve yet to turn 40. Maybe… LOL

I too am a sweets junkie. I just posted a recipe for Turkey Cookies I bet you & your family would have a blast making them.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

• Your husband’s response reminded me of what I told my wife when I turned 40. She too is younger than me. I guess men started to get scared as soon as they reach this age but with a loving and supportive wife that constantly assures us that we will be loved no matter what, we do know that soon those fears will drift away. I still believe that what matters the most is that we feel young and happy inside. Thank you my friend for sharing a beautiful comment. I appreciate that. Happy Thanksgiving. And belated Happy Birthday to your husband.

43. knot2share says:

Welcome to the best half of all our lives, dear IT :-)

44. rutheh says:

Happy happy birthday! What a great picture with your son and the cake.

• Thank you. He and my wife were and always will be my greatest gift. The only gift that I will ask again and again on my future birthdays. There is nothing else that makes me more happy than when I’m with them.They complete me and for that I’m always grateful to God for being generous to me…. Wishing you and your family days of love and happiness.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday! What a beautiful post. Thank you for the pingback :)

46. pix & kardz says:

the sweets look like fun!
    every year, and every new day is a gift.
    a belated happy 40th to you!
    thank you for sharing this great breakfast post.

47. “Every year, and every new day is a gift.” So very true. How we accept and live that gift makes all the big difference. For me, I just want to celebrate life as much as I can now. I realized now that no amount of money can makes us happy. But the time we spent we our family and the fun , happy times with them is priceless and lasting…. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loves ones.

48. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – Breakfast « Running Naked With Scissors

Have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend! :-)

50. hello, i nominated you for an award. You can check my page for it!

Thanks, IT, for putting in your blog the picture of your 40th birthday cake. On the 10th October this year I came across your blog ‘celebrating life’ and I noticed that my son’s birthday is on the same day as yours. So I want to wish you again many Happy Returns of the day and that in the not so distant future you may be able to take your family on that trip overseas.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

• Thanks Auntyuta. What a small world. What are the chances of 2 people having the same birthday, huh? Must be a reason why the stars made it that way. I’m happy to share that special day with your son. The more, the merrier. Thank you for the constant blogger friendship. It inspires me to go on and making meaningful posts. God bless you and your family always. Wishing you love , peace and happiness.

52. hawleywood40 says:

That first photo had my mouth watering! Happy Thanksgiving to you too – I hope it is a wonderful day for you and your family. I’m 41, and so far I’ve really enjoyed my 40’s … I think I’m finally truly old enough to know better but young enough to still wanna give it my best shot anyway : ).

53. Thanks my friend. We could have been buddies in crime, huh? I too share you thoughts when you said, “so far I’ve really enjoyed my 40′s … I think I’m finally truly old enough to know better but young enough to still wanna give it my best shot anyway : ).”
    I learned so much about myself for the past few months which I seem to have neglected before I hit this age. I would like to think I’m wiser now in heart and ready to embrace the rest of my glorious years with a blast and lots of love. I wish for us and all the 40’s out there all the happiness and fulfillment this lifetime has to offer. Happy Thanksgiving. Best wishes to your love ones.

54. thirdeyemom says:

Happy Birthday and again what an awesome post! We are on the same mindset here as my big 4-0 is right around the corner. It scares me, especially as a woman who hates to see those new lines forming each and every day. I think of my parents and how they were so young when they had me and how I will be at least ten years older when I get grandchildren. I am thinking of 40 as a turning point yet a happy point. Thanks for the positive words! :)

55. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Breakfast | Tapestry of Life

56. happy birthday and u do have a mouthwatering breakfast. But turning 40 is not bad ….. u get to be naughty at forty!!!!!!!

57. I have fallen behind on reading your blog as well as others so HAPPY BELATED BIRHTDAY :)
    You are so right we should live each day to its fullest for there is no promise for tomorrow!

58. The Hook says:

“There are so much things I still want to do in this lifetime. To many adventures I wish I could share with my son and so many moonlit skies to gaze with my wife. But life unfortunately is too short and all I can do is make the most of today.”
    Beautiful.

59. jhirzel88 says:

Oh, please don’t even show me those pictures. I get enough sweet stuff at my mom’s cupcake shop. I don’t think there’s any day where I don’t eat any less than 2 cupcakes. She’s put out a lot of flavors for the holiday season, and sometimes, the urge of eating one comes.