Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting

Waiting For The City’s Christmas Tree To Light Up

Last night, our city’s mayor with the help of Santa and a little girl with a generous heart and a powerful wish lit up the town’s official Christmas to symbolize the long-awaited Christmas season.

It was a beautiful night with clear skies showing a shimmering crescent moon and bright stars. The cinnamon scent from a nearby pastry shop smelled so sweet as the merry music of Christmas engulfed the jubilant air. Kids in their red and green sweater , some with Angry Bird woven hat playing happily as the parents watched them with delight.

A voice from the front stage announced that Santa is in the house to help turn on the lights. Santa made a grand entrance as he appeared from a building’s balcony to greet the excited crowd. He then disappeared. I thought for a moment that he was going to glide down a wire or jump with a parachute. He decided to use the stairs. Wise and sensible fella.

Santa walked on a red carpet as fans of all ages screamed excitedly for his name. He almost fell from the stairs as he went up the stage. Must be the blinding spotlight. After the mayor greeted the crowd, a girl dressed in red came up the stage. She made a beautiful letter to Santa through the city’s local magazine and got herself the ” World’s Largest Christmas Stocking. ” The look of surprise and joy can be seen on her innocent face. I heard my son say, “Oh, I wanted that for Christmas.” I just whispered, “May be Santa will grant your wish list too.” He smiled back looking content to my answer as we headed to the newly lighted Christmas Tree.

Waiting For Christmas And The Joy It Brings

It’s official, the Christmas season has begun for our vibrant city. People cheered and clapped their hands as they marvel at the beautifully decorated, brightly lit Christmas tree. Children were running around, laughing and playing around the tree. Some kids were having a great time trying to catch the artificial snow flakes. My son tried catching the snow flakes with one hand while his other hand was busy eating his last piece of  peppermint candy cane.

Christmas symbolize everything that we hope for. It gives us an opportunity to both find and give happiness through generous gestures of kindness and gift giving. It’s a time to show our love and affection to those that matters to us. It’s a time to make a difference to someone, to remember, to be grateful and to celebrate life.

As the Christmas season unfolds in the days to come, may we find in our hearts the reasons and answers of what will genuinely make all of us happy and contended.

Overall, it was a wonderful night. A night filled with Happy thoughts and jubilant mood. Like the bright Christmas lights, may your Holiday season be filled with people and things that will have you heart glowing.

A happy and memorable Christmas season to all.

What lit up your world lately? Has your Christmas season started yet? What’s that one thing you’re wishing for this Christmas?

Related Topics:

Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting by dailypost.wordpress.com
Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting by nandinidhiman.wordpress.com
Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting by jobryantnz.wordpress.com
Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting by maggiephotgraphy.wordpress.com
Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting by sweetdayundertheoaks.com
Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting by thismansjourney.net

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, Events, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting

1. Arindam says:

As always great post with great pictures. All your posts are beautiful, because they have emotions embedded in them. Which is reaching every reader for sure.
    Beautiful way to begin the countdown for Christmas day. I hope one day, i would be part of the celebration that goes in your country, during this period. :)

• You will my friend. Long before I went to the States, I already celebrate Christmas with my parents and 5 siblings for as long as I can remember. There were all happy and memorable. We were not more into the glitter and buying things but more on being there for each other. We would prepare food for days, make simple exchange gifts, stay late at night sharing laughter and stories. They were beautiful and I miss them a lot. Wishing you and your family all the blessings and joy this Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

2. thirdhandart says:

A beautiful ceremony! The tree is gorgeous. It was worth the wait to see it lit up. I hope Santa brings your son the giant stocking that he wants. May your family’s Holiday season be filled with joy, peace and love.

• Thank you. Your words always bring forth wonderful cheers that warms the heart. Yes, it was our first to witness an event like this. I was glad we all went to be a part of it and greet the Christmas season officially. I’m actually looking for this largest stocking. I tried Wal-mart but they don’t have it. Any ideas?
      Happy Holidays to you and your wonderful family.

I have one similar photo of that big gorgeous Christmas tree when we visisted the Lego exhibit in SM City North Edsa a week ago where my son was mesmerized with the variety of stunning figures and places made out of those Lego pieces so to speak. That lit up my world lately, Mr. B., and it also started my Christmas season because we were also there to do Christmas shopping. I wish our eldest brother and sister who weren’t around for three years with us for this time of the year

• Sony Fugaban says:

will finally be reunited with us. They did confirm to be with us already for our first ever family reunion this Christmas, and it’s ironic that I am still wishing for it. I just feel like this reunion completely surreal at this point.

• There’s always something beautiful and magical about any Christmas tree. It reminds us of the wonderful Christmas past and present with our family. It’s sad sometimes that our siblings , even parents are no longer there to celebrate this season with us. Enjoy and treasure this holiday with your whole family for as long and as much as you can. They are priceless!
      I was at the Lego store with my son last night also. What a coincidence or may be this are what the new generation are crazy about. Bro, Wishing you and your family the best of the holidays .

4. rutheh says:

Your series tells a story and is a cool response to the challenge. Lovely tree and night lights.

what a great time you had….
    and what a beautiful tree………………..Blessing to you also and love in His name

6. aRVee says:

Cool. Yes Christmas season here as you are well aware of started as early as September, the start of the ‘Ber months.

Here in Cebu particularly Cebu City, we also have this same event, lighting up of the giant Christmas tree which is strategically built (sponsored by MLhuillier) at the Fuente Osmena circle or what we call “Rotunda” which is done every 1st day of December. After the event, the Christmas tree is lighted up daily until the first week of January. There are nightly presentations in the park which culminates on Christmas Eve (I suppose) then goes back at the start of the “Sinulog” season, usually 1st week of January. So, when you were here around those times, you know what I’m talking about. I believe this season is a busy busy day for the city government off Cebu and the provincial government, as well… I hope to capture the Christmas tree and shared it with you..

Merry Christmas IT, to you, to your family, to your followers and to all those who stumbled upon your site. Stay blessed my friend! :)

• Thank you for sharing the beautiful and truly merry , festive Christmas of Cebu. My city of birth has the same extended Christmas. The first week of December is the city’s Fiesta and culminating with the blessed Virgin’s Birthday. I miss these celebrations and the joy it brings. I miss my family too. It’s been 8 years of not having Christmas with them . Sad, huh? The price of greener pastures! Enjoy every bit of this holiday. Wishing you and your family all the blessings and joy this Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

• aRVee says:

“It’s been 8 years of not having Christmas with them . Sad, huh?” -8 years? tagal nun! haha… yeah it must be sad my friend and I can just imagine how much you missed your family back home. Even with the presence of technology, the warmth of being with your family is something that cannot be bought by money…

“…The price of greener pastures!” – well, this is what we call, “we have to sacrifice a thing or two in exchange for something”. What is important my friend is you have your wife and your son with you, at least their presence means a lot everytime you miss home.. No worries, you’ll be back here someday, so just enjoy every moment there and chase every opportunity that comes along your way…

God bless you and your family! :)

• aRVee says:

My friend, as promised, here it is but it’s not mine though, got this via Sinulog’s Facebook account (https://www.facebook.com/sinulog). Just don’t have the chance to have the tree lighted up as I’m already out at 3pm

Here’s the link of the image (or not sure if it autoloads in your comment box)

• Thank you. I never been to “Sinulog” but I heard of amazing stories about it. This is one of the celebrated events of our country. I appreciate the generous gesture . I’ll check it out… Take care.

• aRVee says:

You’re welcome. You take care too and stay blessed.

I seldom go to Sinulog as well as there are just too many people, local and foreign tourists alike…

7. Nice pictures and post. In NY there are several tree lighting events but the “granddaddy” of them all is the tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. I’ve been to the event many times in the past. I passed on attending the festivities this year because besides the regular mid-town holiday traffic (intense) President Obama was in town; making the area nightmarish.

• Wow, Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree must be amazing. As for the nightmarish traffic, I don’t blame you for not jumping into the crazy, chaotic crowd. I was at the mall today and I was already dizzy from the buzzing crowd. Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year my friend…

8. On Thursday night, Dec. 1, my husband and I skyped with our daughter and grandson. We sat on the floor with the camera capturing our tree, the tree he helped decorate over Thanksgiving. We put the tree up early because they were here, thousands of miles from home. We also skyped putting the first ornament on the Advent tree. Thank goodness for skype.

• Love Skype myself. It brings families closer. It makes homesickness and yearnings less prominent than before. I’m happy for you that you decided to build the Christmas Tree while your children and grandchildren were around for Thanksgiving. Christmas is all about families and the love we share with them. time doesn’t matter for as long as we live and celebrate the occasion. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas in advance. All blessings to you and your love ones.

9. Cheryl says:

Wonderful interpretation of this week’s challenge, Mr. B. I feel ready now to get the house decorated for the Holidays! Thank you.

• Me too. I delayed my Christmas tree this December due to some unforeseen problems but even that can no longer hold me back from enjoying the wonderful spirit of this season. Hope you share a post of your Christmas Tree. I bet it’s beautiful. Wishing you and your family all the blessings and joy this Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

10. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting « Cheryl Andrews

11. That looks like a lot of fun! I bet your son really enjoyed himself! I see that we both live in a place that gets to enjoy artificial snowflakes. It may not be real flakes, but it’s the next best thing to having real snow–soap suds and all. Ha! Ha! Anyway, I like how you said, “shimmering crescent moon.” You do have a wonderful way with words IT! I hope that you and your family have a Merry Christmas filled with lots and lots of peace and happiness. Keep the wonderful posts coming our way! :)

• ” It may not be real flakes, but it’s the next best thing to having real snow–soap suds and all.” So right my friend. It’s not having an actual snow itself but on how we try to have fun and make great memories. We recently went to a kids park with loads of ice. Kids were able to make snow balls and play with it. The joy is their faces were priceless. Merry Christmas to you and your family. May this season bring you love and happiness…

12. eva626 says:

i dont celebrat christmas but our Eid was very lit up !!! now I have to wait till next year…

the photos were wonderful btw..and the lights a plus too

13. munchow says:

The last couple of months I have enjoyed visiting you blog. I nominate you for The Liebster Award, it’s much deserved:

Great post. I love all the lights in your photos. Merry Christmas to you and your family :)

Merry Christmas to you and to your family! :D

16. Hi, IT, looks like you had an amazing time! What a lovely post! After reading all of these wonderful Christmas themed entries I am inspired to write one myself!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

17. If the pictures look so beautiful then the real thing must be a wonderful sight…… Never really celebrated Christmas but I am sure it must be a amazing feeling to wait for the festivities to begin as I wait for the festival of ” “Deepawali” –one of the main festivals of Hindus of India

That is a fun event for kids of all ages to enjoy. Glad it was special.

Have a blessed holiday season too. The lights on that Christmas tree are magnificent… Lots of holiday cheer around. :-)

20. jakesprinter says:

I can`t wait for Christmas :)

21. Pingback: Wordpress Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting | I Choose Happy Now

22. Patti Kuche says:

Such a lovely evening for you all and that Christmas tree is truly spectacular. My best wishes to you and your family, and to your little boy for special wishes!

23. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting | Stories of My Wandering Feet & Mind

24. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting | Stories of My Wandering Feet & Mind

25. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting | Thinking aloud….

That’s really great “waiting.” You seem to make a great bond between you and your son.
    Christmas is a good chance to enjoy holidays. Have a great day.

27. Jo Bryant says:

great series – i love Christmas – this one will be special as we welcome a new member into the family, my son’s partner – it is fabulous to watch the family grow

28. What a wonderful night, and you shared it beautifully with your descriptions and photos. I felt like I was a part of it! Best wishes to you and your family for a Merry Christmas. (And I hope Santa does grant your little boy’s wish!)

• I hope Santa does hear his wish ( although we know who the real Santa is, right?) . Thank you for the wonderful words of Holiday cheers. Merry Christmas to you and your amazing family. Love your last post!

29. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting.. | melonpopzdropz …

Came upon your post “accidentally”, through Munchow. Beautiful photos and sentiments. Thank you!

31. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Waiting… | Mirth and Motivation

32. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Celebration « aRVee

33. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Celebration | this man's journey

34. jhirzel88 says:

I could see that big spotlight in one of the pictures. It’s no wonder Santa was so blinded by that.

I couldn’t say that I’ve had a lit Christmas. I mean, it hasn’t even snowed since the day before Halloween. I liked seeing the Christmas lights. That’s lit enough for me. I want to see my dad for Christmas.

• I pray that your dad will be home for Christmas. It’s not be around a family member. I have not been with my parents physically for 3 years. I see them on Skype but it’s not the same. Wishes come true. Hope yours come soon. Stay blessed my friend.

• jhirzel88 says:

I feel same way with my grandmother on my dad’s side. The last time I saw her is through Skype, and you are right, it’s not the same. Traveling to visit her is hard now that my mom has her own cupcake shop. My siblings leave it up to dad if he wants to take them. I think just being with the person you enjoy seeing the most is what is important. I don’t care if my dad doesn’t make plans to go anywhere. I just think spending time with him is the best thing I could wish to do for Christmas.