A Trip To The North Pole

Christmas In A Child’s Eye

It’s 3 more days before Christmas. Everyone is busy with their final Christmas gift lists. For kids, it means getting their presents under the Christmas tree or beside the fireplace. Presents they been hoping to get from Santa and their parents during the beginning of the Christmas season.

My son would check his presents everyday making sure nothing is missing or if a new one    is recently added. It’s his version of updating his Christmas gift surprises not counting Santa’s drop off on Christmas day.

We just had a White Elephant Christmas party last night with friends. The event reminded me that it is a season for kids to experience the magic and generosity of gift giving. Their pure laughter and happiness brought joy and inspiration to us parents as they open their gifts. We also had our part of exchanging gifts but it’s not the same excitement that I saw when it was among our children.

A Trip To The North Pole

Christmas has a make-believe part. It’s Santa, his elves, the gifts they made and the colorful Christmas Village in the North Pole where it seems to snow endlessly and Polar Bears roam freely. It’s a place where magic happen and dreams come true. It’s where wishes are answered and kid’s treated like royalties. For as long as my son believes in it and kids like him, it exist. And as a parent who supports my son’s dreams, I too opened my mind and heart like a child to what Christmas is. They say, “Christmas is for children.” In a way it’s true but then we can bring back our child-like unwavering belief and pure inward happiness if we allow ourselves for it. It may take some effort, but it can be done. It’s called “magic” for a reason.

A few days ago, my son made his Santa wish list which we mailed personally at Santa Village. It was cold that day so we wore our thick coats. We were all excited. We’ve been going to Santa Village for the past 3 years. It’s has been a part of our holiday tradition.

My son carefully checked his wish list making sure that he did not miss his favorite Lego Star Wars and his much-anticipated Beyblade top spinner set complete with the miniature arena. He tried his best to spell them right all by himself. I thought it was one adorable letter and I’m sure Santa would agree with me.

It was time to meet Santa. First question by the jolly fella, “Little boy, have you been naughty or nice?” My son kept quiet for a long time. Santa asked again, “Son, have you been naughty or nice?” My son smiled shyly, unsure of what to say. He replied, “Not sure.” Santa got confused this time. The response should only be, naughty or nice. Not maybe or not sure. Santa called his assistant and asked if there was a “Not sure” category. Luckily there was one. More kids now are answering a similar response. My son was so happy. Santa looked at my son, smiled and said, “So, my boy, tell me what you wish to get this Christmas…”

Fun Activities At Santa Village

We made a Chipmunk holiday ornament while eating a peppermint candy cane. As I chewed the peppermint candy, I remembered my happiest Christmas days as a child. I had to stop the trip to memory lane because then I felt a bit homesick. It was not the place for sentimental reflections. Perhaps later at home while sipping a warm apple cider.

We met the Blue Snowman at the Gingerbread house. He may looked scary but he’s actually very friendly. All those delicious candies around the house where for us. Ain’t that sweet and generous?

My son is crazy about “blasters.” I try to call it like that instead of “Shooting” games because it sounded violent. Kids think their fun and so are the toy makers but in the real adult world, it can hurt people.

We replenished our sugars with some chocolate cookies and sugar-coated pecans. We skipped the tempting Fudges. The calories of one bar is an equivalent of my daily caloric needs. I intend to eat a real dinner after the trip.

Children cheered as Santa said goodbye. He too needed his rest. Perhaps he would check his late entry mails that night and not miss my son’s wish list.

We were tempted to ride the “North Pole” train but we decided to use our car since we still have to pass by the town center for the Christmas event and get my much-anticipated   dinner. My tummy was growling telling me that it needed more than cookies and nuts.

Once again it was a happy and memorable trip to the North Pole and to Santa’s amazing Christmas Village. That night sparks flew and our hearts glowed with love and joy.

In all of these, the most important part is spending that magic with the people you love. Christmas is not about buying expensive gifts or making elaborate dinner preparations. It’s spending your time, your love, your dreams and even your version of what’s magical to your friends and family.

Happy holidays to all. This post is my gift to all of you. It may not be much but as they say, “It’s the heart’s warm intentions and sincere thoughts that counts.” Love, peace and happiness to all.

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, family, kids, Love, Post A Week 2011 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to A Trip To The North Pole

1. semprevento says:

yes, it’s the thought!
    Greetings dear friends far away ..
    Christmas is coming ..
    a hug from italy …♥
    vento..
    my name is Ivana ♫

2. tmso says:

Happy Holidays to you and your family. I love this line:
    “…spending your time, your love, your dreams and even your version of what’s magical to your friends and family.”

3. mysterycoach says:

Awwwwwwwwaaaa!!!! So NICE ! Merry Christmas and all that happy stuff! :)

MC

4. Children are greedy little blighters, aren’t they? It is a kick to watch their excitement over Christmas. I was one of those kids who’d do a daily inventory of the presents and map out a battle plan of which presents would get opened first. We were a lucky family and Santa always dropped extra presents, as you mentioned. I don’t have any children so I usually spend a grown up Christmas with my in-laws, eating until I feel sick. Fun.

• Grown-up Christmas sounds great too. Nice to know a bit of your childhood Christmas story. You and my son can be classmates when it comes to waiting for the “The Day!” Yesterday he kept on making this facial expressions like he can’t stand 3 more days to open his gifts. Man, I had stand firm otherwise he’ll win. Oh, well this what makes Christmas a sweet memory to remember. Happy holidays my friend. As for your CHristmas dinner….bring Tums if you plan to over eat. Ha, ha, ha….ho, ho,ho….

5. semprevento says:

Today I saw this movie …
    I very much excited, and I dedicate to you … :-)

6. Arindam says:

Love, peace, Happiness, Success, joy, strength and good health to you bro! i added few more thing to that list for a wonderful person like you.
    Celebrate this wonderful season. Christmas day is also my dad’s birth day. But this year for the first time, i am not going to be there with him. Still thanks to you, i am having a feeling like i am part of the celebration.
    Best wishes to you and your family! :)

• Happy Birthday to your dad. It’s hard to be away from family but I know their love for you will sustain you during the time you are alone. Thank you for the well wishes. Much appreciated. I wish the same. We all need love, peace, happiness, joy , strength, good health….and a life of meaning and contentment. Happy holidays and may the warmth of the season give you loads of blessings.

7. Fox@n says:

Happy Holidays Traveler.
    I love his list.
    Great Post.

8. The list looks very familiar. And that Santa must have been the real thing. An imposter would have pushed him aside with a resounding NEXT. We have a few grumpy Santa’s this year at the mall.

• It’s a list most 6 year old hopes to have this Christmas. Who can’t resist Legos? They seem to have a spell on our boys. We went to the Lego store yesterday and a lot of parents just grab boxes without looking how expensive they were. I already told my son that Santa is on a budget too. He seemed okay with the size that I told him Santa can afford. It was a teaching moment. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Sending you gifts of joy , peace, good health and love .

Merry Christmas. Much love, happiness, peace and joy to you and yours in 2012 :)

10. barb19 says:

You are right – love is all we need – at any time of the year.

• Love is all we need…5 words that will bring glow to our lives, sustain us when broken, comfort us when we feel alone, a smile when sadness knocks, joy when trials come our way. Yes, to you, for me, for all of us, I wish a “Love” that is lasting and all sustaining. Here’s to a world that we hope will celebrate and embrace love. Merry Christmas my friend.

So lovely day. I agree with you. I don’t buy expensive things but it’s so happy because I can spend the time with my family.

• Time is a priceless gift that we can give to our love ones. The moments we share with them, the love we give, the places we brought them for adventures, giving them little tokens of appreciation, showing kindness, these are the gifts they will treasure and cherish for years to come. Wishing your family all the joys , love and peace of the Holidays my friend.

Happy Holidays to you and to your family! Santa Village looks like a really fun place to visit once in a lifetime! ^0^

• It is. Best part , it doesn’t cost much except for the food that we bought. Even the Santa picture is free. This is a gift of Bass Pro Outdoor Store to the customers. Very generous indeed, Happy HOlidays my friend.

Beautiful pictures and so much candy! WoW! Happy Holidays! :-)

14. thirdhandart says:

Thank you very much for sharing your trip to the North Pole. May you and your family enjoy many more such magical moments in 2012… as I’m very much looking forward to reading about them. Happy Holidays!

• Thank you my friend. The pleasure is mine. Magic is something we need to share. If I made one person smile today or brighten their day because of the post, then I know I did something that made a difference to someone. That the magic is real and it can be shared. Wishing you and your family a beautiful CHristmas full of love and joy.

15. jeanne says:

What a lovely North Pole…I think I recognize it. Hmmmm…have we been standing in the same line or eating ta the same reatuarants? Magic is every where if you just open your eyes. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!!

• I think we been to the same store( now I’m spoiling the magic) just a different location. As for the restaurants, looks like we like a similar kind of food. Well if one day I bump unto you while lining up for Santa or dim sum, I will be honored to meet you in person, the face behind the blog that inspires and motivates. Merry Christmas my friend. All blessings to you and your loves ones.

Merry Christmas and may all your dreams come true!

• Thank you. Wishing you the same . Merry Christmas! May both of us and our family’s dreams come to life. May our hopes turn into reality. May love, peace and happiness be a daily gift in this lifetime.

17. xandreverkes says:

Gorgeous story!!! I love how you embrace the child’s view & excitement of Christmas…… may we all strive to be a bit more like that!!! Very merry Xmas to you & your lovely family!!! :) **

• It wish we all can feel like a child again like when we opened our first Christmas toy under our parent’s old Christmas tree all excited and genuinely happy. Kids help us relive those forgotten simple joys. Joys that are filled with love and true thankfulness.Striving to bring back that childhood magic is not impossible. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

18. Pingback: The Heart In Every Christmas Tree | this man's journey

19. Last night I got a call from my grandson. He can’t stand it any longer. He was hoping grandma had enough influence to tell mommy he could open a gift! hahaha…the waiting and the anticipation is just too much for an 8 yr. old. I told him “We’re almost there. Put another ornament on the Advent tree. See how close we are!”

• You both are lucky to have each other. So much love and bond. My son is more closer to his grandpa. He too can’t wait to open his gifts. From work tomorrow, It would be a Christmas to remember. Simple yet with warm and loving traditions of our own. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration from your recent post. Merry Christmas my friend.

20. Pingback: 2 Days To Christmas | Young's Blog

Happy Holidays!! It is delightful to see your son’s list to Santa!

• Everyday he asks me when is Santa is coming and when can he open his gifts. It’s so wonderful to see Christmas in a child’s eye. So much joy , optimism and belief. They bring magic into life….. Thank you. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

22. thirdeyemom says:

Merry Christmas to you and thanks for sharing your lovely posts! My son asked Santa for the Lego Star Wars too!

• Ain’t Lego Star Wars cool? Kind of expensive but I got lucky when a model he wanted was on sale at Target.There’s one more he wanted but just over the budget. I’m hoping it will go on sale post Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Wishing you and your love ones joy, peace , good health and love that would last for always….

23. munchow says:

Sometimes I wonder where you get all those small, lovely stories you bring to us. Of course it’s “only” your daily life you draw you experience from – and that is really something quite extraordinary. To be able to see the truth of life in all those small moments. You have a special gift. It was fun to see Christmas through your son’s eyes. Merry Christmas to you!

• It is through this small moments that we are able to appreciate life and the blessings it brings. Thank you for giving such a generous comment.Always a source of motivation. Merry Christmas to you and your family….

24. MikeP says:

Well this is it ‘IT’…. the real countdown begins. After visiting family and watching the kids open their gifts,dinner and adult catching up… the drive home always seems to signify the end of the year. There is almost a lull until New Years Eve, and even that does not drum up the most inner most feelings that Christmas does… so with that, all my best to you and yours and to another year of blogging!!!!!

• Thanks my friend. I’m glad to hear that you had a memorable Holiday with your family. Tomorrow my son will finally open his presents which he’s been bugging me for days. Just adorable to see kids when their face lits up with joy and excitement. Makes you believe that happiness is not that far away. Happy holidays to you and your wonderful family.

25. An excellent post full of great photos and greater thoughts. Happy Holidays, friend! Your posts are always inspiring.

26. Tammy says:

Love and peace back to you. Looks like there is Christmas magic in your home!

27. Arindam says:

Merry Christmas to you bro. :) Wish you all the happiness, joy, success & peace in the world. :)

28. ceceliafutch says:

Happy holidays, my friend. I loved your post. Here’s to a blessed and fulfilling new year. :-)

29. halfcnote says:

Your son must be about the same age as mine! His Chanukah list looked almost identical! Hope your family is having a wonderful holiday.

30. Pingback: Unwrapping Christmas Day | this man's journey

31. Pingback: The Final Destination and Arrival to the North Pole (IV of IV) « Great Diaries of an Adventurous Mom