Unwrapping Christmas Day

The Beginning Of Christmas

For most of us, Christmas is centered on family gatherings, on giving as well as receiving gifts and the much awaited visit by Santa with his presents. But there is another big event happening on this day.

Christians gather all over the world to witness and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, son of God. Yes, it does sound deep and that it’s based on faith and religion. I respect the fact that not everyone shares them or even feel comfortable talking about them. We have our own personal and unique beliefs that centers on the religion we were born with or chose to follow. Some beliefs may not even be related to religion at all but on a heritage and legacy handed down to us by our parents or the community that we grew up with.

Happy Birthday to the one who heard the calling of my heart, renewed my spirit, gave me strength when I'm about to surrender, who was my refuge when I faced fear, who loved me despite of my inadequacies, who forgave me again and again when I was in darkness, who made me smile when sadness and loneliness consumed my days, who gave me a chance when nobody would, who brought me happiness when I needed it the most, who gave me the miracle of life and family, when I thought I didn't deserve such outpouring of goodness and blessings. To my Lord, creator, redeemer and friend, Happy Birthday...

As far as I can remember, the birth of Jesus in the manger is the beginning of Christmas. A birth that will be a symbol of light and hope, even salvation to a world threatened by darkness.

When I was younger, my parents used to bring me and my siblings to attend the midnight mass followed by a feast of food and  the opening of our much awaited gifts. It was a family tradition that we cherished and valued through the years. Somehow I lost that when I left my country.

For the past few years, I’m slowly trying to renew those Christmas traditions that made me so happy as a child. I have my own family now. It may just be made up of 3 hopeful people, nevertheless it’s a family that cares for each other. Best of all, it’s my very own and with that thought in mind, I’m making my very own revised Christmas tradition. It is simple with imperfections but I think it has the potential to become a well celebrated Christmas tradition in the years to come.

On Christmas day,  I shared that same story and faith with my son as we went to church to celebrate the Birthday of the newborn Jesus. After the church service we headed to the altar, greeted him with a kiss and a short prayer. It was beautiful.

Santa Came And Ate The Cookie

My son still half asleep walked out of his bedroom and headed to our living room. He checked the cookie and milk he left for Santa on the table. He raised up the cookie and asked us, “Who ate this cookie?” We told him it was Santa. He then said, “where’s Santa?” We told him Santa left in a hurry after dropping off his presents. He had this question on his face that says, “Really?” So I explained further, “Santa went through the chimney last night while you were sleeping but had to leave because he still needs to deliver the gifts of the other kids who wrote to him this Christmas.” Satisfied with our explanation, he headed excitedly to the red sack Santa left for him.

There are no words to describe the happiness and excitement that a child feels when he unwrap his presents. What they feel in that very moment is so transparent that their face glows in delight.

I helped my son fix his NERF vest. It was too big for him that it kept on falling. I ended up tying almost half of its length. He was running around in joy pretending to be an Army soldier.

He cheered and blurted out, “Yehey, It’s a Beyblade!” Part of his wish list was a Beyblade top spinner. We’ve yet to assemble the pieces. For a top spinner, it’s complicated. I remember that back then it was just a one piece top made of wood or plastic. No brainer. Now it requires an instruction manual. Are they kidding me? Got this expression from my son.

Time to assemble the most favorite toy of the season, the Lego Star Wars spaceship. Just looking at the countless pieces, I got dizzy. My son carefully laid them out on the carpeted floor and proceeded with the manual instructions. He was determined to finish it that morning.

An hour later, he called me crying in frustration, “Dad, the pieces keeps on moving that I had to break them and start all over.” I asked him why he had to start all over again. He just said, ” I had to start from the beginning so I can fix it.” And so he did.

Another hour passed, he called me again crying looking more frustrated. This time the sobs were louder. I just held him and said, “It’s okay. We’ll help you out.” After a few minutes of comforting. He mellowed down. We ended up playing with the Dominos before I slept.

Halfway through my sleep, my son entered my room. He sounded sad. He said, “We tried again with the Lego Star Wars but it didn’t work. I placed my arms around his shoulder and assured him that it’ll be okay. That we will keep trying till we build it right. He quietly nodded his head in agreement. He slept close to me covered in his warm blanket. The last thing I remembered, he woke me up saying, “Dad, time to wake up. Time to go to work.”

Before I went down the stairs, I turned on the Christmas tree lights. As I gazed upon it, I silently told myself while listening to my son’s laughter, “It is Christmas.”

How was your Christmas day?

A blessed Christmas to all. May your days be merry and bright.

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, kids, Life, Post A Week 2011 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Unwrapping Christmas Day

That was indeed a great post. I join with you in wishing Our Lord Jesus Christ a very happy Birthday..this is the one Birthday that we Christians remember every year, never forgotten…
    I tried to work out how old Jesus would have been if He were still human ..if He died when He was 33 would that make hon 2044 years old?

2. 2044 years old and still inspiring the world with his words, works and passion. Merry Christmas my friend. It’s so nice to hear from you again. Wishing you all life’s blessings everyday.

3. Tauyanm says:

thanks for the comment on my blog dear!! I guess your son had a very nice christmas as well!!! have a blessed family!! thanks again! xx

• Your welcome.My son had a memorable and fun Christmas day. He had some crying moments too when his Lego started to break . He wanted a 7-12 years old box and he’s only 6. He told me with much determination, “I can do it dad.” In my heart, I believe him. As parents, we dream what our kid’s dream, believe with full conviction what they believe. At the end of the day, my wife finished the pieces. Bless her heart. I can’t build it too. The tiny pieces will drive me crazy. Merry Christmas…

4. I see your son got the long awaited Lego set and like my grandson, the BeyBlades!!!??? Such excitement from him upon these BeyThings. So glad it was just what he wanted. So glad your day was filled with holy day and holiday memories.

• Thanks my friend. It’s amazing that kids share a similar likes in toys. The Beyblade never fails to bring those exciting and cheerful, “Yipey!” from my son and his friends. God bless you always. Merry Christmas…

5. Ohhhh, thank you so much for sharing your family’s day…I was wondering about your little family yesterday…what a day of love and courage it was!
    And no matter what religion or philosophy anyone may have…your “happy birthday to the one who heard the calling of my heart……..” is so exquisitely beautiful and relates to everyone…let’s hope others who need strength, love and nurturing will also find a safe refuge, as you have.
    Smiles to you….

• Thank you. I wish them too that much needed strength, love, nurturing, hope and courage. 2011 has been a painful year for a lot of our bothers and sisters out there. So much loss and pain. But despite of the bad things that happened, there’s always a reason to be thankful. I personally went trough some rough patches and I’m more happier now that I embrace hope and optimism. It made the pain go away and breathable. God bless you always my friend. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

What a beautiful share… Glad you had a special there… Sending you peace and love or the new year! Marry Christmas!

• Thank you. The birth of Jesus in the manger renewed my hope that better things will happen for all of us. We need to hope and dream. We need to believe that love and faith will sustain us in all things…..Merry Christmas.

7. RVingGirl says:

Praise God. A beautiful post. Precious in the eyes of the Lord are His children.
    Happy Birthday to our dear Lord and Savior!
    GLORY to God in the highest!

• Thank you. I’m glad I made this post. There so much I’m thankful for and this is the least I could do to a God who gave me everything under the Sun. Among them are a loving wife and son who stood by me when nobody will, who loved me without holding back, who inspired me when I was breaking apart. Yes, Glory to God in the highest….and peace, love and joy to all mankind.
      Merry Christmas to you and your family.

8. Great post! I used to use a cut out of boots as a pattern and carpet fresh to sprinkle in the cut out so it would look like Santas foot prints from the fire place to the tree, great fun!

• That is one great idea. Thank you. See, I learn everyday! We are trying to hold on to the Santa magic for as long as we can with our son. It’s partly what makes Christmas an event that kids look forward to experience. I’m just lucky he makes me relive the Childhood Christmas that at times I seem to forget. Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family.

Lovely presents! :D So happy to see kids unwrapping Christmas present! :D

• Yes, it was to joy to see them open their presents. I wish it was in slow motion though. It happened too fast and I was hoping to enjoy the moment longer. Oh, well I have the photos and the memories to remind me of this special day. Merry Christmas to you….

10. thirdhandart says:

I remember going to Midnight Mass as I was growing up! It was a beautiful celebration of the birth of Jesus. Happy Holidays!

11. Connie T says:

The trouble with Lego toys is that they come apart really easy, even after you build they. You can build them, but they are not very good for playing with. My son has hundreds of them, but they are mostly just for display. He ends up tearing them apart and using the blocks to make his own creations.

• My gosh, he sounds like my son. I found out yesterday he broke one of the older Star Wars ship he made. I was a bit disappointed since I thought he was collecting them and we had a special memory attached to it. Kind of broke my heart when I saw it dismantle in his Lego container. He promised to build it back as soon as we locate where the manual is.
      In a way he needs to learn how to value things. Just because he has a new Lego doesn’t mean he will destroy the other. I was also trying to tell him that he is lucky that he has toys , lots of them when a child out there may not have anything at all. A typhoon recently hit my country of birth and lots of people lost everything, some even 1 or 2 of their parents. A real tragedy and I can’t imagine what Christmas is like for the victims. I saw 3 kids in the news on top of car, looking so lost. They lost their parents when the flood swept them away. Not that I’m being a grinch but somehow I felt so bad that I eat anything I want during Christmas while somebody out there is lining up for water and a bowl of rice. I just wish everyone would have the same bountiful Christmas.

Your son must be so happy. I’m glad to know that. :smile:

• He was and still is. We played a matching fruit card game last night. he was so happy. The toy was only $1 but it was the time I spent with him that made all the difference. Of course he was to win too. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

13. Angelia Sims says:

Such a happy Christmas!! There is nothing like the joy and magic of children. And nothing like the love of our savior. Thank-you for sharing your heart. :-)

• Thank you. True, “nothing like the joy and magic of children. And nothing like the love of our savior. ” This is why Christmas is so special and that it needs to be lived in our hearts and memory everyday. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

14. The Hook says:

Great post! I love how it evolved from an explanantion of Christmas to your own family and their customs.

• Christmas usually becomes like a roller coaster emotional journey for me. Part of me is celebrating because of the holidays with my son and wife and part of me longs for the Christmas my wife and I used to know and celebrate till we left our country of birth. We become homesick and emotional, missing and longing for our parents and siblings. if not for our son who brightens our holiday constantly, it could be a lonely Christmas. Thank you for the comment. Wishing you and your family all the blessings…

15. Arindam says:

One more great post!! :) I loved this one. This post contains every emotion, that we find in our home. We share love, togetherness, hope, failure, dream with each other in our family. But i hope your family is not only having 3 hopeful members. We all are now part of a big family, where we share our deepest emotions honestly with each other. Thanks bro for sharing such beautiful moments with us.

• Oh, yes, I do have a greater, bigger family, the Blogger friends who stood by me and shared my stories and gave me so much beautiful and inspiring words through their comments. My apologies. Never have I seen a community that supports each other and relate to each others triumphs and struggles in life.God bless you and your family. Happy New Year….

16. amazing article… it reminds me of my childhood days. i remembered, before my parents got separated, we waited til midnight to welcome christmas! very meaningful indeed.. i miss that… c”,)

• Sorry to hear about your parents. Sometimes I think too that what if I can turn back time and just for a moment experience that one Christmas during our childhood that we were so happy with our siblings and parents. Looking at pictures or videos is never the same. It’s free to dream , right? Happy New Year my friend. I wish you and your family all the wonderful blessings in life.

Thank you for sharing your Christmas day and memories~it was beautiful and the way you told the story, I could feel the warmth of your family’s love for one another right off the screen!
    I appreciate the Follow too!
    Peace~ :)

• Thank you. Love makes us feel and be moved. Because of my family , I felt Christmas . If they were not there, I seriously would not know what to do or how I would react during Holidays. There presence gives meaning to events like this. Happy New Year filled with blessings.

18. Morning! I awarded you the Candle Lighter award! :) http://wp.me/p1jBAi-yc

19. judithhb says:

Thanks once again for sharing your family traditions – new or old.

20. My Christmas day was sweet! I celebrate Hanukkah, but Li’l D’s going to grow up celebrating both. At this point, the presence of his grammas alone makes any day magic for him . . . a magic which carries over to me. :)

Happy new year!

• Thank you. Happy New Year my friend. A co-worker shares his stories about the Hanukkah and I think it’s just one beautiful and memorable holiday celebration. So much sharing and family traditions bounded by love and faith. Wishing you, your son and your family a Happy New Year full of wonderful blessings.

21. Gail says:

I am so behind in reading blog posts but I really enjoyed this one. Happy Belated Christmas to you and your family! My favorite part of the Christmas season is going to midnight mass which I have done since I was a child. It’s the most important part of Christmas for me and it brings a real peacefulness to my soul after having just gone through all the hustle and buslte of the season. Thanks for sharing your special day with us!

• Gail, Merry Christmas to you and your family. I too find the midnight mass peaceful. There’s something beautiful about it. I hope one day, I get to do it again. Wishing you and your family love, peace and joy today and everyday…

22. Patti Kuche says:

They are one person, They are two alone, They are three together, They are for each other!

. . . .from a song I love “Helplessly Hoping” – which is the human condition. With Christmas, and the turn of the New Year, we wrap up all our hopes and longings and give them to those we love so they may give to others.

Happy New Year to you and your wonderful two who are never alone!

23. nelsonRN says:

I remember my son while reading this post. As a father, it is very difficult to explain how it feels when you see the excitement in your child’s eyes as he opens his presents. Ah, the joys of being a parent :)))) Happy new year! Great post!

24. jhirzel88 says:

I remember my experiences with getting toys as gifts and the cookies that Santa ate. Man, he ate a lot of cookies! There were like 8 cookies in a dish one time and he ate them all! I read the note that Santa sent me about the video game that he couldn’t find from the workshop. I told my mom that it looked like my dad’s handwriting. My parents then told me that Santa wasn’t going to give me any presents next year if I started believing he was a fake. I knew the moment I woke up in the middle of the night, I would be afraid to scare Santa off. I just remember hearing the ringing of Santa’s sleigh going through my mind.