Weekly Photo Challenge: Winter

Winter And The Last Weekly Photo Challenge For 2011

Unbelievably, this is the last challenge before we officially leave 2011 and face the positive prospects of 2012. It has been a  beautiful, colorful and inspiring journey for all of us who made the weekly challenge a part of our blogger life. It gave our blogging path a new meaning and gave us a rare chance to discover blogger friends who are all generous and talented.

Yes, it is a memorable 2011. Bad or good, it is still a year to remember. Not only did we conquer our personal life challenges but we were able to rise up better, stronger than ever. In the midst of this triumph, our family, friends including our blogging buddies walked with us in full support. That alone is a reason to celebrate and be thankful for.

So, what does it have to do with Winter? I’m just as clueless! Just kidding.

Winter is a time to hibernate, to slow down, to gather food and resources to last us through the bitter cold and snow. It is a challenging season, all agricultural crops die and what’s left are barren trees covered with ice. It is during this time some people get lonely and depressed. Can’t blame them at all. Just looking outside my window with hardly any visibility due to a dense fog, I can’t help but feel the gloom myself. But before it dampens my mood, let me lit up an imaginary fire and tell you a story why Winter can be as warm  and cozy like the Summer’s campfire memories.

It Snowed In Houston Days Before Christmas In 2009

One of the most unforgettable Winter Holiday Season that me and my family had was in 2009. It was a year of bountiful blessings. I just got transferred to a less stressful job, we also had a wonderful short vacation in Orlando, Florida‘s Disney World from the extra money we saved, everyone turned out healthy after a bout of allergies that Spring and Fall flew in, a treasured visit from my wife’s parents happened and topping the highlights of the year, snow came to Houston for one day, just before Christmas when normally it does not snow in this side of town. It was in its true essence, Winter. We made snow balls, experienced what “snow angels” meant and built a snow man with a blue scarf and funny looking Oak tree twig nose.

In all the fun events happening that day, what made it truly a happy occasion is that I had my family and friends to share the magic moment with. After the snow melted and Mr. Snowman turned into a puddle of water, there was still the love and affection of my family to warm that very cold Winter of 2009. The warmth of their smiles, hugs and kisses made that Winter a season of meaning and inspiration. This is my Winter story that to this day brings joy to my heart when it longs to be lit up.

What is your Winter Story? Hope to see you all in next year’s Weekly Photo Challenge.

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, Life, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Winter

1. Arindam says:

Beautiful way to end this winter. :) This post really signifies, That freshness winter brings to planet earth.
    Wish you and your family a wonderful happy new year. May our friendship continues in the coming year. As you wrote, it was really a pleasure to know people like you through blogging. Just continue to inspire and motivate us in coming days also. :)

• Thank my friend. You always give comments that inspires and motivates. It’s my honor and joy that have known you and the thoughts you share. Wishing you a blessed and beautiful 2012 filled with wonderful events and people.

2. rutheh says:

Happy 2012 (almost)
    I enjoy following your blog.
    Best
    Ruth in Pittsburgh

3. you wrote: “Unbelievably, this is the last challenge before we officially leave 2011 and face the positive prospects of 2012″
    thanks for this reminder!! I will be sure to get my submission in before we turn the calendar tonight!!

4. Huffygirl says:

Glad you got to experience snow. And wow, thanks for the pingback.

5. Jo Bryant says:

This is just such a beautiful post – than you for sharing these memories

• Your welcome.It was a delight to share them. Beautiful memories needs to be shared. Whenever I read a beautiful post, I can’t help but smile and remain optimistic. I wish to do the same for as much as I can….

6. mysterycoach says:

You make such beautiful posts :) … Happy New Year as well! :)

No make’m gloomies! Put music on wiggle ur bootay ! LOL :)

MC

A great post to end the year! Happy New Year!

8. Fox@n says:

Happy new year.
    Wow I dont think we are getting snow anything soon here in ny

• That’s what I heard! Weather and climate is getting crazier every year. Well maybe by January or Febuary? Bro, Happy New Year, with or without snow. A toast to an amazing 2012….

Happy 2012 :) So glad that I discovered your blog. I enjoy reading your words very much.

I have never seen snow this year. It looks so cold but you and your family have warm heart.
    Happy new year.

• Thank you. Happy New Year. It hasn’t snowed this year either but maybe next Winter. I was already ready to make some snow balls with my son in 2011 but luck may change for 2012. Best wishes to you and your family.

11. Pingback: Wordpress Weekly Photo Challenge: Winter | I Choose Happy Now

12. jakesprinter says:

Great Entry for this week theme
    Wish you luck for 2012
    Happy New Year to you :)

13. thirdhandart says:

Wonderful, wintry post IT! I hope that 2012 brings bountiful blessings to you and your family. Happy New Year!

• I hope so too. My wife said it’s the year of the dragon and that it’s going to be lucky because she is a dragon. Happy New Year to you and your family. Wishing you life’s wonderful blessings.

Love your choice. Be blessed in 2012! ♥HAPPY NEW YEAR :-)!

• Thank you. I had to look at my archives, old facebook photos since it doesn’t normally snow in Houston. I was hoping it would in 2011. Beautiful recent post by the way. Happy New Year my friend.

15. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Winter… And Happy New Year! | Mirth and Motivation

16. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Winter… And Happy New Year! | Mirth and Motivation

17. suitablefish says:

great entry, love the snow ball pics! blessings for a happy and healthy new year.

18. Connie T says:

Nice winter pictures. I do love Disney, I went there 19 times when I lived in Florida. I had a year pass. Happy New Year.

• Oh, you are lucky to be close to Disney. We went there twice. So true that it’s the happiest place on Earth, more if you ask my 6-year old. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Happy New Year! Wishing you a prosperous and wonderful new year! :D

20. aRVee says:

It was indeed a memorable Winter to you and your family in 2009, my friend. Must be one of your luckiest years huh? Nice to know.

It’s surprising to learn though that some of you who experienced snow or has winter season gets lonely and depressed, could be brought about by the very cold snow. I can’t imagine myself living in a place where there is winter. I can literally freeze, haha…

I don’t have an entry for this week’s challenge as we don’t have Winter in the Philippines but if I do, the flashfloods brought about by typhoon Sendong is “winter” enough for me. Hopefully all those people affected by the tragedy can recover fast and that this brand new year brings them reasons of hope, happiness and continue living life with more optimism.

Happy New Year to you my friend, to your family, to all your followers and to everyone who might stumble upon your site. All the best in 2012!

By the way, glad to learn you and Nelson RN finally met on the blogosphere. You have almost the same profile, to me…

• Thanks my friend. Just beautiful words to start the New Year right ! Winter is cold, everything looks like they are dead like the trees and plants, the waters freeze and the sun doesn’t shine as bright as the other Seasons. It’s fun at during Christmas time but not when it’s on going for a few months. And yes, like you, I will freeze too. I’m Mr. Tropics and all! Happy New Year to you and your family. Wishing you a blessed and joyous year. Cheers to an awesome 2012!!!

21. IsobelandCat says:

I like the way you have told a story here.
    Happy New Year.

22. pegbur7 says:

Love the photos. Happy New Year and here’s to a wonder filled and wonderFULL 2012!

• Thank you. Yes , cheers to a wonder filled 2012 ! It’s going to be a great year if we all try to make it the best year yet. Count me in to celebrate this year with as much fun and life…Happy New Year .

23. Gail says:

Happy winter AND Happy New Year to you and your family! I love winter and especially love the snow and have such fond memories of playing in the snow as a child– building snowmen, snow forts, sled riding… I loved it all. I guess the fact that I live in the south and don’t get a lot of snow, makes me love it even more when we do get it. I am so happy to have discovered your blog this past year and always enjoy reading it. I look forward to continuing to read your posts in 2012. God bless you and your family and may 2012 be a great year for you all!

• I’m glad to have known you in 2011 and can’t wait for a promising journey in 2012. Thank you for the kind, thoughtful , generous and heart felt words that inspires me every time. God bless you and your family always. Wishing you the best that this year has to offer.

24. Patti Kuche says:

Lovely shots of fun in the winter snow, with sunshine! Personally, I will take a cold day over a cold heart any time and I thank you so much for the warmth you give with your kind words. Happy New Year wishes and smiles to you all!

• I agree…cold day anytime over a cold heart. We can be in the most extremes of weather but it is the heart’s generosity that sustains us all. Thank you for a year of generous friendship. Happy New Year to you and your love ones…

25. Freedomborn says:

Hi the island traveller I enjoy you photos and the way you present them, you are indeed gifted.

In Australia. although mild this year it is summer, so I’m still waiting for someone in your Country to send me some snow but all I have received so far is soggy envelopes …am I missing something?

Thank you for your encouragement over Christmas it was very uplifting and please consider The King of Kings friendship award my Brother although there are other Awards you may also like, I will Post about them soon.

God bless you in 2012 – Christian Love Anne.

• I accept the award in all humility and appreciation. Who can refuse the “King of Kings”? He is the one reason that I’m still here and for making it through 2011. God bless you too and hoping that all you dreams will come true in 2012. A toast to love, hope, joy, great health for the New Year. As for snow…it will come when we least expect it- like magic!

26. http://postadaychallenge2011.com/2011/12/31/happy-2012-starting-with-project-365-010112/
    That is my new blog project 365 thanks for always being my friend and blogging inspiration.

• Your welcome and thank you for being a great blogger friend with so much warm thoughts and amazing talents to give. I bet 2012 will be filled with wonderful and amazing posts…. Happy New Year.

• Jackie Paulson says:

It was my pleasure, are you going to keep blogging? Stop by me when you can and thanks for the friendship and know that I keep all my memories close by. ♥ Jackie ♥

• No my friend, blogging has been a source of reflection for me, it allowed me to discover a part of myself that I don’t know exist. It gives me motivation as well as an invaluable source of inspiration from blogger friends like you. I’m here to stay. I will visit again soon. Just had to do something in the next few days. Wishing you the best.

27. Caroline says:

Thanks for sharing your winter stories. There really can be warmth during cold months.

• Thank you. I realized now that it’s not the house heater that warms the heart the love and affection of our family and friends. Wishing you and your family a great and blessed New Year.

28. Amar Naik says:

nice pics. happy new year

29. pix & kardz says:

thank you for sharing this warm story about the coldest season.
    happy new year – & blessings to you and your family for 2012!
    ingat!

• Thank you. You got me with “Ingat!” That sounded so sweet. Felt like home was within reach. Wishing you and your family all the wonderful blessings that 2012 has to give. Thanks for the blogger friendship…..

30. Pingback: 2nd RUDIMENTARY DAY OF SUMMER « 2012 – ON THE BENCH

31. 2e0mca says:

Lovely winter photographs and great commentary. Best wishes from my family to yours for 2012 :-)

• Thanks my friend. Love the Winter photo of you and your son…reminded me of myself and my son on our trips together, only in a bus in a different country.Fathehood and family is universal and I know that your family keeps your Winter warm with their love….Happy New Year….to great 2012!!!

32. MikeP says:

Hmmmm… been working on a winter post. Great minds and all that. You are right about the feeling of depression, you can see and feel it here in the north. I have always embraced the cold and especially the snow…….. ps more visuals to come :-)

• Looking forward for your next post and images although it gives me time to browse on your previous works which by the way, are all amazing and stunning . So how’s Winter in your side of the globe? Houston feels more like Autumn recently…not that I’m complaining!

33. Nandini says:

Great writing with beautiful photos. Thank you for putting this up. Glad to know you through this blogging medium. Happy New Year :)

34. Gracie Sam says:

That is such a beautiful winter story. And great photos too. Happy New Year! :)

35. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Winter… it is here!! | Maggies Photography

36. Thank you. i’m glad to know you too and the wonderful posts you made. Hoping for more inspiring friendship in 2012. Stay blessed!

37. Madman says:

I liked very much reading your port :-) Thanks for the share!

Winter and its challenges…in ’07 we had a very bad ice storm and knocked power out for over a week. Nothing like showering at the Red Cross Emergency Vehicles~yay!? :(
    Loved your winter photo entry and your warm story.

• Winter can be a harsh season. My sister had some hardships during the last snow storm in the East Coast last year. But now everything is fine and they are enjoying a beautiful Winter. Thank you for the comment. Wishing you a wonderful 2012….

39. oh.. I just love these picturesque winter photos. They are absolutely beautiful. You definitely have an eye for serene scenery :)

40. How beautiful that must have been to have snow for Christmas one year! Last year in January we had the snowiest month ever in Connecticut, and the snow didn’t melt between the snowstorms. This year in January we have had not one flake of snow and no snow in the forecast. Amazing difference!

• I wish some snow will come in your side this Winter. It’s part of the Winter magic. The weather and climate had been crazy for the past few years. Perhaps snow before Spring time? Happy New Year and best wishes to you and your family.

41. Just beautiful IT. I love the family photos. That must have been such a blast for your son. Even though it’s winter, there is lots of warmth in your photos. It’s been a very warm winter here in Florida until a few days ago. I think that the citrus made it through the cold weather okay. Fortunately, we are rapidly warming up again. Anyway, thanks for sharing the warmth my friend. All the best to you and your family.

42. jhirzel88 says:

Yes, Winter is surely a depressing time of the year. I was depressed when I knew that birds don’t hibernate like other animals do. I knew that the cold affects them and some of them starve to death. However, I found out that the cardinal is a winter bird, so I know that they survive the same way that year-round birds have to survive.

I can’t keep feeding those Chipping Sparrows cupcakes forever.

In the Philippines, winter season “may” occur during December in my hometown up the north. There’s no snow falling outside though but the very cold air enveloping the whole of Cagayan Valley is similar to what people experience in the west. I went home there two weeks ago for the holidays (or should I say winter) and just like you, we had but just good things amid the new event added to our usual holiday vacation. That is, my brother got stabbed twice. I had to spend my Christmas Eve and Day at the hospital for him. Thanks to the Aura up there for the lesson he thought me out of this: No matter how distant my brother is to me, the love I have for him will always be there. This paved the way for him to make amends with me. We had issues to make it short and I couldn’t be happier that we’re ok now — which makes everything that happened positive for me.

Much of that, I am happy to hear that you landed in a less stressful job. Good for you, Bro! This probably explains why you were able to compose beautiful posts successively. Hehe …

I need to tell you that you lead the list of my most influential person this year. Your view that family is paramount in every thing that we do is ingrained to my veins now. Thank you for firing up the optimism in me too!

PS

Send my regards to your son and wife. Good morning!

• Sony Fugaban says:

Influential persons …

• Bro, Happy New Year to you and your family. Thank you for an amazing blogger friendhip for 2012. Your comments always brings inspiration.Always generous, heartfelt, thoughtful, full of insights. I pray for a speedy recovery for your brother. That must had been a scary event. These words are just beautiful, ” No matter how distant my brother is to me, the love I have for him will always be there. This paved the way for him to make amends with me. ” Love and forgiveness goes a long, long way. It’s a secret for peace and inner happiness. Thanks for sharing them. I hope others will find inspiration in those words too.Wishing you and your family all the wonderful blessings in life. May 2012 be a well celebrated year for us all.

44. The Hook says:

Great shots – especially that last one!