Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch

Launching A Child’s Dream

When a child launches his or her dreams and it takes off, there are no limits to where it can't reach, no boundaries it can't cross and no obstacles it can't overcome.

My son woke me up yesterday by trying to tickle my foot. He’s been doing this for two days now. It’s an amazing alarm clock. All of the sudden all my senses goes into an automatic “awake” mode. Of course, I won’t be outdone. I would tickle him back to his heart’s delight. The sound of his laughter filled the air with a sense of infectious joy.

As we headed down the stairs so I can start my day with a hot cup of coffee, I saw a rocket ship he made out of paper complete with blasters in case the pilot encounter a hostile alien from another planet. I placed his work on the wall of our main foyer admiring its simple yet beautiful details.

As I stared at his work, I thought, ” how fascinating his imagination is and how unwavering his beliefs are.” He believes with all his heart that all his dreams will come true. Once his mind is set and his dreams are launched, there is no stopping his drive to reach them regardless of the outcome. Today, he reminded me about perseverance, courage, following my heart’s passion and pursuing happiness. It’s funny how a child can open your eyes to what is really important in this crazy world.

Launching A Lego Spaceship

Everyday without fail, my son would play with his Lego toys. He would build different kinds of aircraft that goes with his Star Wars miniature action figures.

One night while I was watching T.V., he made a fighter plane that was launched to protect the fortress of his city. I was impressed by his ingenuity. Complete with sound effects he excitedly said, “Blast off…whoosh!”

Launching Our Hopes For A Better Future

As I watched my son play with an air balloon during one of our adventure trips last December, I wondered what the future will be for him and kids of his age. If I’m to base it on the negativity of everyday’s news, the future seem clouded with uncertainties but if I base it on what I see when I look into his eyes, I could see a future that is bright and full of wonderful possibilities. When I see him smile, he gives me hope and assurance that a better future awaits.

One day after work, my son showed me a piece of paper. I read it to him and it says, “Dad, I Wif You.” Looking confused I asked him, “What is Wif?” He proudly read it again, “Dad, I Love You.”

This entry was posted in kids, Life, Love, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch

What a lovely sampling in your photos… Those air balloons look like they’d be a ton of fun to play with. Great choices! :-)

2. wolke205 says:

Thanks for this heartwarming post! The photos are great :)

3. Elyse says:

Lovely> I miss those Lego Days!

4. Your child’s dreams are being launched, because you, as parents, provided him an environment to dream and pursue his dreams. Nice post.

5. Sabina Brave says:

Kids can teach us a lot, e.g. how to enjoy life :)
    Have a wonderful Sunday! :)

Great post. I wif your son :)

• Yes, I “WIF” him a lot. I just enjoy this times…every minute of it. Yesterday he tried to make a story book with his drawings. He tried to spell the words by himself. As a parent, he melts my heart each and every time he does things like these. Thanks.

Great post. I really like all that you write. I wif your blog :)

8. xandreverkes says:

Gorgeous!!! I just love your narratives!!! It’s the small things in life!!! ;) **

9. tmso says:

Oh! The “I WiF you” pulled at my heart. :) The balloon pic is my favorite of this bunch.

• I was talking to my friend today and showed her my son’s, ” I Wif you dad” letter. She too was reminded of how her kids were growing up. We both agreed, years from now, these sort of things will make us smile and bring comfort during times of memory marathon. Thanks for the comment.

10. Caroline says:

Wonderful launch ideas! Yes, a child’s imagination really can launch to anywhere. Thanks for the pingback too.

11. barb19 says:

It’s uplifting to see the world through a child’s eyes, seeing our hopes and dreams afresh.
    I loved what your son wrote to you, he must be such a blessing.

• It’s his presence that keeps me and my wife going , particularly during the tough times we had. I think in a way he can sense when I am sad because he becomes extra funny and affectionate. Him and my wife are the main reasons I celebrated 2011. It was a year of trials but it was also a year of triumph against all odds. With love on our side, we can weather any storm. Thanks for sharing.

12. jakesprinter says:

Great Entry my friend i love all of it :)

This is very touching, Bro. I couldn’t add more to what you said because you always explain each of your entries in a way that all the reader has to do is just like it. Your son is like the force to reckon with. God bless his dreams!

Delightful! That’s a great interpretation for the theme.

15. Nice post! That is a wonderful way to look at life, through your son :) What a wonderful imagination he has!!

God Bless you and your family!

• Thanks. I watched this movie long time ago about a young father who panicked when his wife got pregnant . Then when his son was born as he held him for the first time, he stared at his eyes. He kind of said to his wife, “I’m no longer scared of the future. My future, hopes , dreams and youth is right before my eyes.” He was addressing to his new born. Thanks.
      God bless you too and your wonderful family.

16. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge : Launch « Cheryl Andrews

17. Connie T says:

The launch pictures work great. I like the note, so cute and sweet.

18. MikeP says:

So now its official… we launch into a new year. Keep it real and keep family close.

• i like it when you said, “Keep it real and keep family close.” I will sure do that. Thanks. Great “Winter” insterpretation by the way. Got the link from Sabina. The display of colors were amazing.

19. Arindam says:

Wow! This one is the post of the week for this weekly challenge post. You define the word’Launch’ in an unique and innovative way. It’s a treat to read your bonding with your son. Like your son “we all WIF you bro”. Keep up the good work going. You always bring the feel good factor to blogosphere with every post of years, So thank you for that.

• I think everyone deserves to feel good about themselves and those around them. I told my wife one day, “no matter what, let’s be happy, be thankful, be positive and celebrate as often as we can.” I wish to share the same thoughts and hope to others. We live only once, and it’s a short one too. We need to face each day happy and at peace with ourselves and those around us. Thank you my friend for the ever generous and motivating comments. A blessed day to you and your love ones.

20. aRVee says:

Now I learn a new word courtesy of your son, haha…. Thanks for your constant support to my blog my friend, I wif it… :)

21. I’m waiting for you to post something that doesn’t make me grin in a stupid way. Love your concept and idea of the word “Launch”. Nice. :)

22. Ashmita says:

looking at things from the view of a child is the most creative thing to do… have been a follower of your blog since a long time….. hence decided to nominate for versatile blogger award… http://getawayzzz.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/wowww-this-is-indeed-an-honor/

23. Barbara Rodgers says:

Your son, like all children, is an imagineer! And everything we imagine eventually comes to pass. :)

• It’s sad how when we grow up with loose that ability to imagine and dream like a child. Why do we have to loose that magic? In a way, having kids around us help us reconnect to that part most adults have forgottten. Reminded me of “Peter Pan and his Neverland.” Thanks. God bless you always…

24. Kate Kresse says:

loved this post and photos

25. I too love the happy optimism that children exude, and the fact that their imaginations are not cramped by obstacles that adults often see. I bet your son would like Dr.Seuss ‘Oh, the Places You’ll Go’.

26. Frank Bishop says:

That isn’t just any spaceship, that is a Stardestroyer. It is like the Cadillac of spaceships…. of gigantic death spreading size.

Also the news can be very depressing, but that is how they keep people watching by scaring them into watching how the bus driver is driving drunk with your kids, at 9.

The future is never certain and can certainly be scary. Wondering is half of the fun i suppose.

• Whew! You had me imagining for a moment and drifted into some far flung Galaxy. Stardestroyer sounds so cool. It is a scary world out there and we need to equip our kids with as much common sense, values and survival instincts and technique as much as we can. Thanks for an amazing comment.

27. Tony Oliver says:

It doesn’t seem like that long ago my son was doing the same thing. Now, when I look back, I just have to laugh. My son is now 30 years old and works for NASA, as a rocket scientist. One of the greatest days of my life was getting to go with him to a launch. A close runner up was when I saw him receive an accommodation from NASA for his significant contribution to the shuttle program.

• Thanks a million. These are priceless advice that comes from years of wisdom and a lot of love and affection for his family. I just had to read this again, “I always told him he could be anything he wanted to be. When he got interested in something, I encouraged him to pursue his interest with enthusiasm. Do the same with your child and there is no reason why his dreams can’t come true too. Encourage him to study hard, love learning, and keep chasing his dreams. Then, someday, you too will be choking back the tears that come with seeing your child’s dreams come true.” Even now, my heart is already touched by sentiments. Yes, I wish to one day look at him with love and pride as he launch his dream into full completion. The rare joy of being a parent. Wishing you and your family all life’s blessings.

28. thirdhandart says:

Wonderful entry! Seriously, you would make a great motivational speaker IT. Thank you for always being positive and inspirational.

• Your welcome. After my heart was crushed by all sorts of pains and life’s trials, I just realize one day…enough, I deserve to be happy….my family deserve to be happy..all of us deserve to be happy. I was reading the 3 basic rights in America a few days ago. They are life, liberty and pursuit to happiness. How many of us has forgotten that we are entitled to all of these? There was a time, I forgotten all of them when I dwelled on negativity and self pity. It’s a brand New Year, and we all deserve to embrace “life, liberty and happiness.” Have a blessed fay my friend.

29. misspinkles says:

That’s a very touching story.
    I love it that kids have no limits to what they dream about. In their eyes, all their dreams will come true, in time.
    It’s such a beautiful thing.

• If I’m to compare adult life and that of being a kid, I will choose being a kid. I remember that a lot of my happiest memories was when I was a child, growing , playing, having unrestrained happiness and laughter with my siblings and cousins. I see the same event with my son, everyday. Of course, it helps too that as kids, we don’t have much responsibilities except following mom and dad , giving them lots of love and reasons to smile. Thanks for sharing…

30. Jo Bryant says:

how wonderful that imagination can fill you with such hope…

31. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Launch « Changeversations

32. siggiofmaine says:

How wonderful…thank you for sharing, These memories will be so meaningful…especially the little note…I have a note 30 + years old that says “Please pick up ……. by Bill Shakespeare” and others that I treasure.
    Peace,
    Siggi in Downeast Maine

• That is so sweet and thoughtful of view to keep these notes that holds a special memory. I will do too. They are treasures that we will cherish many years from now…..Thank you. Wishing you and your family all the wonderful blessings.

33. Yen says:

What an inspiring post on hope! I love your son’s zest for life and creativity, Sir! Lovely photos! I like the hot air balloons. Wish I could find something like that here in Cebu for my nephew and niece. Happy New Year, Sir and to your family!

I wif your family and your blog. Sending you the One Lovely Blogger Award:http://wp.me/p1RzUf-zj
    Enjoy!

35. The Hook says:

Lego seems to be more popular – and more expensive – than ever, right?

• It is. Kids dig it, particularly the boys. And for some reason , Star Wars top the list. Oh, well who can resist the Galaxy’s calling for a new breed of Jedi. “May the force be with you!”