Weekly Photo Challenge: Peaceful

Surrendering To Stillness

Life is full of chaos. Each year, a new set of craziness arrives, creating waves of turmoil stirring our lives into a journey of highs and lows. Some of these waves are powerful enough to topple us down, even drowning us into misery and depression. Some are calm, bringing a sense of stillness and serenity. Some of this waves we can control. Despite of the confusion and trials within and around us, we still can choose to be at peace. All we need to do is find that one special place in our stored memory that brought us a sense of bliss, of tranquility. Once we find that memory , we need to transport ourselves to that place, find our solitude and allow our weary hearts to be healed.

Remembering That One Peaceful Place

I was in my senior year in college when I went to this undeveloped Island with a relative. We stopped by an isolated beach. I can no longer remember the details but at one point, I found myself sitting under a palm tree gazing at the still blue waters. The water was so clear that I could see the stunning red and green corals beneath it. I just stared at the water. So still, so at peace. At that moment, my mind and heart felt the same way. It was beautiful. No worries, no stress, no heartaches. It was in its true sense, peaceful.

So many years had pass.  So much events and experiences I made. A lot of them were happy memories but a few were painful and caused wounds that to this day continues to heal. When times becomes tough and harder to bear, I just close my eyes, find that one peaceful place or image and surrender to its stillness. When I open my eyes, I find my self at peace again and ready to face another day.

What is that one place, someone or event that gives you a sense of peacefulness? If you haven’t discovered it yet, all you have to do is close your eyes and bring yourself to that one special memory that you felt the happiest and in utmost peace.

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Life, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

122 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Peaceful

1. siggiofmaine says:

Awesome in best sense of the word and also your words…especially the last paragraph…
    So many people don’t stop to think where is that place that I can go for peace of heart, mind and soul.

Peace,
    Siggi in Downeast Maine

• Thanks for the positive and appreciative comment. A beautiful way to feel inspired. Lately, I kept thinking of the sunrise by Galveston beach with my son whenever I feel disturbed or stress out.Never fails to keep me calm and smiling once again….

2. rutheh says:

Lovely colors and peaceful feelings in your photographs today.

3. I also have a memory of a place that I love….when I close my eyes and think of it, I get a sense of calm and stillness, a welcome relief some days..here’s my spot….a little pond in New Hampshire http://pocketperspectives.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/stillness-a-quiet-mind/
    You wrote a wonderful post…such a good reminder too..thanks…. : ) kathy

• Thank you for the wonderful comment but more importantly thanks for sharing that beautiful, zen-like place. What an amazing sense of peace and beauty rolled into one. That photo can transport anyone into a magical place of calmness.

4. xandreverkes says:

Beautiful photos Island Traveller!!! And you are so right… because more often than not we forget about our “happy place”… It’s good you remind us!!! Thank you!!! :) **

• Your welcome. Lately, I’d been going frequently to those ” happy, peaceful places.” The more trials and difficulties, the more I seek that one place of solitude.In this world, we need to find ways to survive the darkness we face each day may it be through meditation, reflection, talking to a friend or family, travelling, listening to a calming music, praying….whatever works. Thanks for sharing.

5. rommel says:

Nice nice photos. Best explained about “Peaceful”. Great Job.

6. Thank you for pingback! Nice pictures! :)

7. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge ~ Peaceful « An Uneducated Palate

Beautiful beaches like your photos here are always very peaceful. :)

9. pix & kardz says:

thank you for sharing your thoughts and these peaceful images….. beautiful!

10. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Peaceful « Simply Charming

11. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Peaceful | Thinking aloud….

12. aRVee says:

What a relaxing experience you had there on that isolated beach. Great one my friend!

What a great photo! I like all of them. Your sentence is also great. The peace sleep in the sea.
    We can see the peace through the sea.:)

14. jakesprinter says:

Once again my friend you did the great shot I like the glance of the ocean breeze :)

15. How beautiful water so clear you could see the red and green coral! Thank you for telling us about such a place.

• Your welcome. When I go home this year, if fate allows it, I wish to go back and reunite with the place that brought me so much refuge in times of trouble. It’s amazing how one encounter can influence a persons perception and experience of things. Have a blessed day. Best wishes…

16. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Peaceful « Mike Hardisty Photography

17. 2e0mca says:

Excellent narrative and lovely photos. I can find peace just about anywhere – a crowded station, for example. As you suggested, the ability to focus in on yourself and your thoughts is enough to isolate you from the outer voices. I do like to visit St.Albans Abbey – that is a place where I do find peace without needing to try. Good post!

Best wishes,

Martin

• I find peace to when I’m in a church or chapel…it’s a place that our souls find a sense of healing and comfort…just being inside a place of worship brings a sense of calmness. Thanks…

18. jhirzel88 says:

I don’t know exactly where my place is. I want to just grow up and go somewhere else. I know I will end up somewhere in the computer industry, but I feel that my place is outdoors, with the birds. I can choose more than one path, but I will never be completely satisfied. I don’t think I’ll ever find my place.

• A lot of times we don’t really know where our path leads us. We have future plans and dreams , we try our best to reach that place but along the way destiny has its own course for us. Wherever it may be, we hope and pray it’s a place of joy and peace.Thanks for sharing. Hope you find that something that will bring you a sense of completeness….

Great post. We do have what we need within ourselves….we just have to take the time to look.

• So right my friend. A lot of times we get overwhelmed by the pressures in life, of trying to earn a living, of raising and taking care of our families that we forget to look within ourselves and find that one thing that keeps us at peace or make us happy.Thanks. Have a great day.

20. wolke205 says:

Beautiful post as always :) For me, I dont find peace on a place, it s inside of me. Often I use a short Reiki Meditation to calm down & relax :) But also lovely memories helps :)

Best wishes to you & your family, hugs.

• Reiki Meditation sounds like a calming activity that can help clear our thoughts. I’ve yet to check it out. And your right, peace is inside all of us. We just need to know how to harness them. Wishing you and your family all the love, joy and inner peace.Thanks for sharing.

21. Amar Naik says:

beautiful

22. What beautiful, peaceful and serene pictures…
    My place is Cape Cod in the warm home of my adoring grandparents, and on the seashore with my husband, starting our life together…

• My sister went to Cape Cod for her Summer vacation with her family. The pictures were all beautiful and amazing. I wish I was with her during her trip. Life and dreams are best shared with the ones we love. Wishing you and your husband a life of love and wonderful memories. Best wishes.

23. munchow says:

As always you bring wisdom to us – in your words and in your photos. Peace is within us even when the big waves come rolling over us. The photos are splendid and show (again) that you have your own clear and very personal vision. The beach picture (the third in the row) is interesting regarding that, since it deviates from your usual vision – and still is clearly taken by you. You have a great sense of composition and light.

• Thanks my friend. You always bring forth words that provide positive feedback and motivation. You’re right, the third picture was a deviation from my usual vision. I was walking towards our hotel that day and I saw this couple sitting side by side watching their child playing on the sand. I thought it was a sweet , tender moment. That love exist anywhere. It was inspiring . Thanks for sharing…

Peaceful thoughts and peaceful photos – all very nice! Thank you for sharing this.

• Your welcome. I was more that happy to share them. Anything that brings peace, love and joy has to be shared so others will feel the same way too. It must be phenomenal and amazing to have the world unified by peace and common goals of prosperity. Thanks for the comment.

25. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – Peaceful | melonpopzdropz …

Great post. I find nature to be peaceful :)

All of your shots are so inviting that I feel ready for a peaceful vacation. Beautiful! :-)

28. MikeP says:

I have so many peaceful thoughts after reading your post..thanks. The one I put above others is not the birth of my 1st child, but of the picture of me holding her on my bare chest asleep…. we both seemed at peace with everything. She at peace with my heartbeat and me feeling this little life seemed to embrace my being. Thanks again for the memories.

• That is one peaceful moment with your baby daughter. I can relate because that is one beautiful experience I can’t forget two. We were still in California then. My son was born during the Fall season and it gets cold in the Bay area. The warmth, comfort and love that exist between a parent and a child, just priceless. My son seemed to be lullabied by the rise and fall of my chest and the heartbeat as its music. Thanks for helping me remember too. Wishing you and your family the best…

29. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge : Peaceful « Hurtled to 60 and Now Beyond…

30. Cheryl says:

Beautiful array as always, Mr. B!

31. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge : Peaceful « Cheryl Andrews

32. Love the shot of the beach and the umbrellas that would make me feel peaceful to be sitting there just watching the sea. Thank you

• One of my peacefull memories is sitting by the beach, enjoying a cold drink, just letting time goes by as a watch the waters and all that’s happening around me. The best one’s are early morning when the world seems to be asleep and still. Just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

33. Tammy says:

Gorgeous photos. There are a couple of places that I have been; grassi lakes in canmore, alberta and the puget sound and I hold those visions of total peace for whenever I need them.

34. Beautiful pictures especially that last one.

35. As usual, your post imbues a feeling of hope and optimism IT! As you wrote, “When times become tough and harder to bear, I just close my eyes, find that one peaceful place or image and surrender to its stillness.” Beautifully said my friend. Life is not without challenges. Yet, even amid the chaos, we can find peace and tranquility from within. That being said, I find peace in staying spiritually connected. For me personally, I’d rather live within the light than walk alone in darkness. There is an inner tranquility that comes from being spiritually connected. Oh yes, I also find peace in spending time with family and friends, doing acts of charity, connecting with nature, and by simply living each day to its fullest. Nonetheless, I wish you and your family peace, happiness, and blissful memories that will last forever. :)

• Just inspiring when you said, “, I’d rather live within the light than walk alone in darkness. There is an inner tranquility that comes from being spiritually connected.” I too believe that when we open ourselves to a higher power, when we have faith, we can withstand any storm. When my wife and I feel that things gets too hard, we pray and entrust everything to God. Somehow, everything feels better aferwards, like a heavy load is lifted, that everything will turn out fine. Of course it helps a lot too that we have our friends and family to support us. Thank you for the thoughtful and kind words. Beautiful as always…wishing you and your family the best.

36. john tugano says:

I so liked it bro,.There’s just a single time wherein we feel so tired and wanted to have peace and I do agree with you to just close our eyes and remember the things that gave us peace then we would be at peace.So true that has been also my therapy whenever I wanted to get out of the hustle and bustle of things around me.

I wish you peace and happiness bro..

• Bro, thanks for the constant encouragement and the generous comments. Sometimes when it’s all crazy and noisy. I do close my eyes and find that image that relaxes me. And amazingly like automatic, the noise gets blocked, my mind clears up and my heart mellows down like magic. Wishing you and your family all the blessings in life.

37. Connie T says:

The ocean is so peaceful. The sound of the waves and the feel of the sand. I love to look for shells and shark teeth. I could walk the beach for hours. Your pictures look great and peaceful.

• Shells and sharks teeth…sounds like a fun combination. The beach and all the activities in it makes us forget, even for a moment our hardships in life. It help us in finding ourselves once again. Thanks for sharing. Stay blessed my friend.

Here’s a direct answer to the question, bro: When I held my little boy on the very first night he came out from her mother’s. That was so peaceful. Too bad I didn’t capture it. I just thought maybe there are things that is remembered even without a picture. Something as significant as the time I felt, for the very first time, I was needed. PEACEFUL is the word for a sleeping child in my arms. That is so clear to me even without a photo. At this point though, I sometimes wish my boy becomes that cuddly little fellow again where I don’t need to punish him for the not-so-good things he do. Anyway, I know that’s not life because life is mobile. It will move on no matter what.

• “When I held my little boy on the very first night he came out from her mother’s. That was so peaceful. ” I felt the same way too. It was a moment that I felt so blessed when I stared at his eyes as a cuddled him. It’s one of my happiest moments. And yes, I miss too those years when all we did mostly was cuddled them for comfort and to help them go to sleep. Treasured times indeed. Bro, thanks for sharing this wonderful story. You’re a great dad.Your son will see the bright and positive side of the world because of you. Wishing you and your family all life’s wonderful blessings.

Here’s a direct answer to the question, bro: When I held my little boy on the very first night he came out from her mother’s. That was so peaceful. Too bad I didn’t capture it. I just thought maybe there are things that is remembered even without a picture. Something as significant as the time I felt, for the very first time, I was needed. PEACEFUL is the word for a sleeping child in my arms. That is so clear to me even without a photo. At this point though, I sometimes wish my boy becomes that cuddly little fellow again where I don’t need to punish him for the not-so-good things he does from time to time. Anyway, I know that’s not life because life is mobile. It will move on no matter what. That’s where the real challenge is for us parents: to raise our child (or children) to become the person that he should be.

40. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Peaceful | Living Life in Glorious Colour

41. What a great reminder – we can all choose peace. Excellent post!

42. Lovely photos and such wise words :-)

43. thedailydish says:

Another serene and beautiful post, as always. Happy New Year, IT!

44. Arindam says:

True words of wisdom from you bro. Beautiful post, just like each post of years. I am very busy regarding my professional commitments these days, so i just needed a post like this. Just like you I also close my eyes to see glimpse of those beautiful moments which i captured & stored in my heart. It gives me peace and strength to fight the odds in life. Thanks you for these peaceful words bro. :)

• “Just like you I also close my eyes to see glimpse of those beautiful moments which i captured & stored in my heart. It gives me peace and strength to fight the odds in life. ” Well said Bro. Words that motivates. Each of us have our special place, a memory, a thought, an event that make us smile and ready to tackle another day. It’s our comfort blanket that never fails to warm our hearts when its out in the cold. Stay blessed my friend.

45. Pingback: A Bunch of Peace: Weekly Photo Challenge (Peaceful) « aNTibaKTeRiYeL

46. thirdhandart says:

Beautiful entry IT! Such wise words! “… I just close my eyes, find that one peaceful place or image and surrender to its stillness. When I open my eyes, I find my self at peace again and ready to face another day.”

• Thank you. I read your re-quote a few times. The more I read it, the more I realized how often I went to those peaceful places in for the past 2 years….I’m glad I had those sweet memories and my family to keep me sane….Stay blessed my friend…

47. nelson RN says:

Simply wow! Amazing peaceful photographs! Thanks for sharing!

48. Patti Kuche says:

Your brilliant photos of the sea all seem to come with the sounds and salty, sea-weedy smell of the beach which I absolutely adore! Thank you for the beautiful postcards from your special place of peace!

• The beach and I had a long story of friendship. It brings me joy and comfort all the time. I remember kayaking by myself when the waters were calm in college. I would do it early in the morning when the air is cool, the skies are clear, and everything around me seems still. There’s a small islet about 15 miles from the beach and I would go around it. I did it a few times. amazing solitude with some thrill and suspense. the waves at the back of the island is a bit rough, it leads to the open sea. Back then I was young , a bit reckless….I found out later, there’s some sharks at the back of the island. But it was so inviting, so peaceful that fear didn’t enter my head. I would think twice now if I will do it again. Thanks for the generous comments.

49. Madman says:

Peaceful indeed and awesome pictures! Thanks for the share :-)

50. Beautiful photgraphs. I have a “Sanctuary Spot” in my mind. I go there to calm. It is Oceanside on a cliff. I can hear the waves and there is a wonderful rose garden and flowers and soft green grass with a small cottage in the center.
    Thanks for sharing your peace. May your life be filled with peace and love.

• “It is Oceanside on a cliff. I can hear the waves and there is a wonderful rose garden and flowers and soft green grass with a small cottage in the center.” this is a serene and beautiful vision. I can almost smell the sweet fragrant roses and the refreshing, healing scent of the Ocean breeze. I bet the view from the cliff, overlooking the vast blue waters is breathtaking….Thank you. Wishing you a life of bliss and joy….

51. suitablefish says:

I love the beach scene with the umbrellas. brings me back to one of my peaceful places. I can feel the sultry afternoon laziness at the shore. inspiring post, as always.

• Thank you. I personally think there are several elements to a perfect beach memory and colorful umbrellas providing shade is one of them. I could stay under it for hours and just pour out my heart to the Ocean and have my thoughts be cleared of life’s daily clutter.Have a wonderful day.

52. Your photo’s are so perfect for the words you say. Of course, the water photo is, by far, the most peaceful for most. So you see, for me, it is the perfect one for “Peaceful”. I believe that most of us find tranquilness in sitting by water; whether, it is from a stream, an ocean or thrashing waves against the beach. It was the reason we decided on this little town. It has a lot of areas with water and I was lucky enough to have God ask me to take care of it for awhile since he is very busy.
    I’m doing my very best. I hope he’s taking notes.
    Very nice challenge entry …
    Blessings,
    Isadora

• Thanks. I would love to live in a small town too, surrounded by water. To have a simple life, to be be close to God’s beautiful creations as well as take care of them. One day soon, I hope…. and yes, God’s sees your goodness and your love for his works. Stay blessed my friend. Wishing you happiness and peace.

53. RVingGirl says:

Hey there, just letting you know I nominated you for the versatile blogger award…..

54. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – Peaceful.. | melonpopzdropz …

55. The Hook says:

Beautiful vibrant shots!

• Thank you. Nature has its vibrant and stunning moments…pretty much all the time. All we need is a time to be still , click the camera and the rest is an awesome capture of nature’s visual gifts to us all.

56. Sabina Brave says:

I’m always enjoying pictures of the sea. I like it. First time I saw the sea, when I was adult.
    Thank you for sharing always so wonderful stories, memories, thoughts. It’s very inspiring. :)

57. elbawrites says:

Love your introduction. Thanks for sharing.

Very beautiful photos of the beach and the ocean! :D

59. Maggie L R says:

It is amazing that we find peace in nature and most often near water, a lake an ocean, it matters not, but the place brings soothing to the soul. I always feel closer to God in places like these, with his wind gently blowing away the stress.

• “I always feel closer to God in places like these, with his wind gently blowing away the stress.” I totally agree. How many times I told my worries to God as I stared at the sea. Somehow I felt light after doing so, like the waves washed out my aches as they go back towards the sea.

60. happilysleepdeprived says:

Thank you for taking time out to notice my blog. It means a lot. I love your photos, all very artistic. Have a peaceful weekend.

61. Jackie Paulson says:

I love that you gave me the HUG b/c I just started a new job and I needed it. Bravo!!!

62. When my mind is in turmoil I stand by the ocean and a feeling of peace washes over me.

63. Wow – the last photo looks like the sun in racing to the water – amazing.