Inspired by the Weekly Photo Challenge theme: Simple and of the approaching Valentine’s Day, I decided to pay a tribute to the most profound feeling and emotion of all, “love.”
Simple “I Do’s” For The Past 41 Years
My parents spent 41 years of love and affection , withstanding the rough storms that came their way. Their endurance withstood the odds, the challenges, the trials that fate brought during their dark times of hardships, calamities and traumatic events.
Last year, we witnessed mom and dad sealed their shared loving years with a kiss and with held hands that bonded them together throughout the years. They showed us that love endures and that love can be ”forever.” They gave us hope that everyone can live happily ever after and that we can all love despite of one another’s imperfections, failures, hurts, heartaches and conflicts. They made us see that two individuals with opposite personalities can live their “I do’s” in the most simple way everyday. Simple yet genuinely expressed and shared throughout generations.
Simple Expressions Of Love
Before we know it, it’s Valentine’s Day. Cupid will be all over town, shooting those arrows of love, painting the sky with glowing red and making our hearts beat like crazy. Yes, it’s that time when we have to find the perfect romantic Valentine card, get the object of our affection a dozen red or pink roses and make them sugary high with those heart shape chocolates. This is the time to renew vows of love and promises tested by the sands of time.
Somehow in the middle of the trying to get that perfect gift we forgot the essence of this event. Valentine’s Day is all about showing our love and appreciation to the people whom we shared our lives with. People who stood by us in moments of struggles. People who inspired us to do things we didn’t thought possible. People who helped us believe in ourselves and reach for our dreams. People who touched our heart, helped it beat, feel and come alive once again.
Yesterday, my 6 year-old son reminded me that expressions of love doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, it can be simplified in so many ways hardly costing anything except our time and a bit of imagination.
After school, my son asked me to buy him several small balls. I asked him why. He said with all eagerness, “I’m going to make planets, dad.” I said, “That sounds like fun but can we do it tomorrow? I have to go to work later.” He replied, “Okay.” Then he added quickly, “Work again?” I just smiled back as we finished the last Peach ice cream.
As I was preparing for work, my wife pulled me excitedly and whispered, “I need to show you something.” She then showed me a card my son made for her. I asked her, “What’s it for” She said, “Well, he made it after I reprimanded him for being unreasonably upset.” I asked her curiously, “Why? What happened?” She explained to me that he taught him the 8 planets of the Solar system. My son then drew the planets but ended up with 11 planets. When my wife tried to correct him, he got upset and acted all mad. My wife firmly reprimanded him. She explained to him that his actions were unacceptable. She also told him that she needs to correct his actions because she wants him to be a “good boy” and that she cares for him a lot. He went to his room followed by silence. An hour later, he came out and handed my wife a card which he made from scratch. When my wife opened the card, she felt a tug in her heart. He drew a heart and wrote, “I love mom.” It was his way of saying that he was sorry and that he cares for his mom too. We were both touched by his simple, yet pure gesture of love.
Love is getting out of our way to make someone feel special. It may be cooking for your spouse his/her favorite meal, or learning with your child the solar system and the wonders of the world, or it can be a homemade card or love letter filled with warm thoughts and affection. Everyday can be a Valentine’s Day. Again, it only takes a bit of your time, a wide imagination and a generous outpouring of affection.
What’s your unforgettable Valentine’s story? What loving gesture you made or someone did for you that warmed your heart with so much love?
Wishing everyone tons of genuine love on Valentine’s day and everyday.
- DIY Valentine’s Day Cards (lifesacraftproject.wordpress.com)
- Valentine’s Day Hair Goodies and Chocolate Dipping (theyummyfactory.wordpress.com)
- Valentine’s Card – 6 Special Options (mjmonaghan.wordpress.com)
- Picking Out a Valentine’s Day Card (socyberty.com)
- Funny Valentine card, dude (simplycutebykarin.com)
- Have a Heart-to-Heart With Your Kid About Valentine’s Day (education.com)
- My Valentine’s Day Dates (fashionlawandmechanics.wordpress.com)
- Donna’s Valentine Choices (jewelyah.wordpress.com)
- will you be my valentine? (flightsoffancybykristy.wordpress.com)
- Gearing Up for Valentine’s Day (ashelynnmanor.wordpress.com)
- Simple Expressions Of Love (thismansjourney.net)
- Have a heart…. (ladylikedesigns.wordpress.com)
- Valentine’s Day Countdown (trialsforlife.wordpress.com)
- Valentine’s Day Cards for Tabletop Gamers (stacysaurusrex.wordpress.com)
- Valentines Flowers-tips for Buying Valentines Flowers (socyberty.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (whatevermakesyousmile.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (shomabhagwat.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (jinancitydailyphoto.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (eof737.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (scottybecca.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (nolagirlatheart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (hurtlingtowards60.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (klling.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (melonpops.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (mrthekidd.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (northernnarratives.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (romceg.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (andreadreamin.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (flickrcomments.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Simple (chittlechattle.wordpress.com)