I Wished For Love

Destiny has that one person in store for most of us...mine is this lady in red.

My Gift On Valentine’s Day

I asked myself what special gift I could gift my wife this Valentine’s Day. She has everything that I could think of. Normally, she would tell me in advance not to buy her anything material, even the irresistible red dozen roses. Just when I was about to give up and just go  “safe” with chocolates and a pre-written Valentine card, I remembered the “love poem” she carries with her in her wallet. I gave it to her 8 years ago. I will never forget how happy she was when she read it for the first time. Her face glowed like an angel. This gave me an idea of writing a post of the beginning of our love story. A love story I wish to share with her for the rest of my life.

I Wished For Love And It Came True

It was the first day of school. I was about to start the mind wreaking Junior year of medicine. I was in a relationship which I thought at that time was going to last forever. Then I saw her for the first time, a freshman, walking towards the school building. My heart pounded. I thought it was silly. I’m supposed to be in love with somebody else. My mind tried to reason with my heart. For a while it worked.

I told myself, “How can you be in love with someone and yet your heart would still beat for another?” So, I told my heart, “Chill! It’s wrong.” It did chill for a few months.

There are so many smiles we meet along the way, some of which we will never forget. This is that smile for me...

I would try to come early for my Surgery Class hoping I’ll see her in the classroom. Later, I found out that she would stay longer than usual so she can see me too. We shared one classroom in 1 of our subjects. Was it destiny? Was it coincidence? Whatever it was it led me to her.

In between my class periods, I would do some research. I would ask friends who knew about her. I found out she belonged to a well to do family of her city. For some time that bothered me. I was a small town boy raised from a middle income family. We seemed to live in different worlds. Different lifestyles, traditions even circle of friends. For sometime I gave up the hope that perhaps I have a chance for love with the most beautiful woman I’d ever seen who inspired me to pass each obstacle in Medicine and life itself.

When I look back to all the things that life has blessed me, it humbles me in so many ways.

A few months after, my current girlfriend of that time broke up with me. She told me I wasn’t giving her enough time. I told her, “Whatever free time I had, I spent it with her. That going through Medicine takes pretty much of my time and that I’m trying my best.” Despite of my pleading and a few tears she said, “This is our last time of being together.” My best wasn’t good enough. Ouch! I didn’t realize that it would crush my heart. I did love her in all sincerity. And that made it hurt all the more. So, for a few weeks I went into depression. I didn’t realize it then. Later, I read my symptoms by accident during a Psychiatry class. Surprisingly, I had most of the criteria from loss of appetite to just wanting to confine myself in my room. Whew! I’m glad I got out of the depression. What was my cure? I turned out to be “Love.” The very reason that broke my heart was the very reason that mend it back to pieces. It was the very love I wished for during the time I felt so alone and lost. It was my proof that wishes do come true.

Months after my hibernation I saw her again running hurriedly by the stairs behind me. She was late for her class. In her hurriedness she missed a step. She was able to hold on to the side rails preventing her from falling. I offered my hand to help her stand up. Then our eyes met. I asked her, “Are you okay?” She smiled back sweetly and said, “I’m okay. Thank you.” I felt that time stood still and I could hear music in my head. Once again fate intervened and our path crossed.

Summer came. I finally got the guts to call her. It took me about 30 minutes to keep still and dial her phone number. I was a nervous wreck. She must have  sensed how anxious I was because she sounded so calm and soothing throughout the entire duration of our conversation.

On our first date, I could hardly eat. She too barely touched her plate. No, we were both not on a diet. I felt like I was floating on air with butterflies in my tummy. Weird but it was an amazing feeling beyond words. It was the most intense emotion I ever felt. Cupid got me hooked really hard.

It was near Christmas when she said, “I love you too,” after I told her for the very first time that I love her. It was and still is the best Christmas gift I could ever asked for. I thought then that wishes are simple myths until my wish came true. I wished for love and love came like a lightning bolt hitting us both straight to the heart. I never felt more happy and complete. No matter what happens today or in the future, I can always look back and say, “Love made my life truly beautiful. “ It gave meaning and hope to my existence.

Everyone has their love story from the typical romance to that of friendship that withstood the challenges of time. This was the beginning of my love story. The love journey that will go on till the last beat of my heart.

Love Across The Sky

One memorable day at the beach, I asked my son to take my picture and that of his mom as we face the sea together. Little trooper was all excited to capture a “kodak” moment of his parents. As I held my wife close to me, I heard my son say, “Ready guys? One , two…no moving…three.” Even if I didn’t have to smile, I wasn’t able to control myself and so I smiled. It was a happy and perfect day for me as well as for my family. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

For everyone, a destined love is written under the stars. Sometimes we may get lucky and actually got to see it on a clear day across the clear, blue sky.

Two days ago while editing the last photo, I noticed the heart shape cloud above our heads. I didn’t see it until I cropped the photo to make it bigger. Was is destiny? Was it coincidence. Personally, I would like to believe that it was love written across the sky. A reminder of what’s meaningful and important in my life. A reminder that love is within and around me.

Wishing everyone all the love and happiness this Valentine’s Day and everyday.

What do you hope and wish for today? What’s that one unforgettable Valentine’s Day that made you celebrate love in its purest form? What’s your love story? Are you “ready” to embrace love and the story that’s about to unfold?

This entry was posted in family, Life, Love, photography, Post A Week 2011, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

101 Responses to I Wished For Love

1. What a sweet love story…thanks for sharing it. Great photos!

• island traveler says:

Thank you. The love story we had in our past should be celebrated with our spouse/partner year after year. It keeps that love and excitement burning…

2. cobbies69 says:

Ones heart strings cannot be controlled..lol ;) nice story…

3. Happy Valelntine’s to both of you. How love comes into your life is memorable. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memory. It’s amazing your novice photographer captured his parents and that cloud too.

• island traveler says:

My son never fails to surprise me. I can’t believe that he can do all this now when just yesterday he was just this cute little toddler running all over the place. How time and memories flies. Happy Valentine’s to you and the love of you life…

4. jhirzel88 says:

Valentines Day has always been about love and roses. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the girl has to be a girlfriend, right? As soon as you move somewhere else, the bond that a girl had could change. That is what happened to me, and that is why my ex-friend Kim couldn’t talk to me. She didn’t even want to hang out with me the last week before I moved, even though I asked her if we could. It was too much for her to witness me going away from her, and she’s just not a social person. She just wanted to come over and play pool and ping pong with me. I rarely visited her, because she always wanted to see me. She was never my girlfriend, and that’s just the fact. I sent her Valentines Day carnations, but that didn’t change the fact that we were just friends.

• island traveler says:

I hear you. It’s hard whe the “love romantic feelings” is not reciprocated. I had a best friend who loved me more than a friend and when I found out I felt so bad that I didn’t share the same. But we talked an to this day, we are still great friends. Honesty, acceptance, coomunication is the key. I admire your honesty. Stay cool always…

• jhirzel88 says:

That is the biggest problem, I waited too long, plus long distance relationships rarely work out anyways. She didn’t even have an email address. She wasn’t very computer oriented. She said that she has a Facebook, but that’s it. I don’t have a Facebook, so I have no way of contacting her except by phone.

5. wolke205 says:

That s the most beautiful written post I have ever read. I wish to you & your wife that your love will last forever <3 For sure it was destiny that this lovely cloud was above your heads :)

• island traveler says:

Thank you. My wife jokingly told me that perhaps it was a sign from her father who died when she was a little girl that she should not leave me ever…we both laughed afterwards. I was suprised when I saw the heart shaped cloud…it wasn’t that obvious until I cropped it. Happy Valentine’s Day my friend. Wishing you all the love.

Oh Mr I T what a beautiful, romantic, loving, caring person you are……May you both be Blessed with many more years of great happiness and always be in love…wonderful story

• island traveler says:

Thanks my friend. Love kept me going when I felt so low. Now that I’m older, I’m no longer shy about sharing stuff like this….love is a gift that we should share… God bless you always.

I love this story. It’s very similar to mine….I met my husband through his girlfriend that was a classmate of mine. Incredible how things happen sometimes :) 42 years later we’re still in love!

• island traveler says:

You inspired me when you said, “42 years later we’re still in love!” Its amazing how destiny draw 2 people to cross path and fall in love, Thanks for sharing you love story…just beautiful.

I love your words and photos. I met my husband when we were both university students and it was love at first sight. We have been together for 30 years. Love is truly amazing :)

• island traveler says:

This is why I firmly believe that true love exist when you said, “it was love at first sight. We have been together for 30 years. Love is truly amazing.” It is amazing and warms anyone’s heart with inspiration. Thank you for sharing a love story that touches the heart in a wonderful way. Wishing you all life’s blessings.

9. jeanne says:

Beautiful story…Love made my life truly beautiful! Be Blessed my friend!

What a very touching and beautiful love story! How wonderful you found each other.

• island traveler says:

She’s a living proof that an ordinary guy can get an extraordinary girl to love him without limits and end. She reminded me of the movie, “Notting Hill” with Julia Roberts. She made me believe that love doesn’t choose, it chooses you. Thank you .

11. Your love story sounds like it’s straight out of a Hindi (Bollywood, Indian) film. It has all the elements – a beautiful leading lady, a too-good-to-be-true leading man, college romance, celestial symbols in the form of the heart shaped cloud and there’s music in the air, too! Wow..

Next month will complete 13 years of togetherness with my husband. We met in college too, but our story is nowhere near as romantic as your’s. In all these years, we never once celebrated Valentine’s Day, and I don’t see that changing this year.

I have to commend you on this post…. such a beautiful way to show your love to your loved one.

• island traveler says:

I asked my wife one day, “why did you chose me? What did you see in me. I don’t think it’s the looks.” Smiling back she said, “Cause your the only one who didn’t give me anything expensive and instead you shared yourself and your heart through your poems, letters and paintings. That you were just simple yet real.” I was speechless for awhile. She loved me for the simpliest things that I did for her, and that made me appreciate her more.We don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day also, atleast not like what others commonly do. We don’t believe in buying material things. We believe more in the little loving gestures everyday. Thank you for sharing your love story. It is beautiful…each stories that we share is unique and special…and we should celebrate them always. Wishing you all life’s blessings…

12. Gail says:

Thanks for sharing this beautiful love story. And I love that heart-shaped cloud!

You are a master and a genius my friend! It almost seems like a storybook fairy tale and with the heart shaped cloud to go with the story–what a grand and beautiful life of love you have! Thank you for sharing your world because it makes the journey wonderful with you and your family in it. :)

• island traveler says:

The journey is beautiful because we have family and friends that walks with us along the way. Their love and support colors our world and make us smile everyday. Thank you for the heartfelt words. Just a joy to read. Have a blessed day my friend.

14. That´s beautiful – fairy tales can happen in real life. I know that from experience too! I wish you both a lifetime of love and happiness together.

• island traveler says:

Our love stories needs to be told, small or grand, with or without fireworks. These stories makes all of us believe that fairy tales are real. They made not be jaded with physical magic but it does have a magic of its own when hearts beat because of love , hope and happiness. Thank you and have a wonderful day…

15. mysterycoach says:

aaaaaaaaawwwwww :) Are you feeling better now?

Mine hasn’t been written just yet. Despite all my venting over there on my blog… I’m patient. It’s probably being written some where it just hasn’t reached me “just yet”> :)

16. barb19 says:

You have shared your touching love story with us, and for that I thank you; you are an inspiration in showing a special love to your family.
    I love that last photo with the heart-shaped cloud – very appropriate for you two lovebirds!
    Happy Valentines Day!

• island traveler says:

Happy Valentine’s day my friend. Thank you for the wonderful words of appreciation. It was a perfect day and the heart shape cloud was a beautiful surprise. Best wishes to you and your family.

Well, it sounds like things worked out eventually and you are with who you want to be today.

• island traveler says:

It did work out as I dreamt it to be. I couldn’t ask for more. All I could ever want is in front of me…Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your family.

18. thirdeyemom says:

What a beautiful post about the power of love. Your posts are so deep and always touch my heart with your words and photos. I am with you that love conquers all. I have been together with my husband for 18 yars now and I really love him more each day. We both are so lucky to have that kind of love as it is rare.

• island traveler says:

This one is so inspiring, “. I have been together with my husband for 18 yars now and I really love him more each day. We both are so lucky to have that kind of love as it is rare.” They say once you find that person you want to grow old with, don’t let go. Whatever struggles life brings, you do it together…till the end. Thank you.

19. Aww… so mushy. Wish you both a loving life always.

• island traveler says:

Thank you…mushy and loving it! ha, ha, ha…..seriously though, going through my past, reliving the memories was a touching experience. It’s hard to face feelings such as these cause then you end up having all this intense emotions….oh, well…..

20. Angitha says:

Wow!! quite a love story :) I wish you guys live happy everafter just like in a fairy tale :)

• island traveler says:

Thank you. Everyday, we have a chance to make our own fairy tales…
      I tried to check your wordpress site….can’t find it. Hope you don’t mind if you can share it on next’s visit? Best wishes and happy days ahead!!!

• island traveler says:

I hope and pray too. Love in the present times has more obstacles than ever…too many “dragons” to defeat! Thanks for the comment.

21. Freedomborn says:

God reached out and sent a heart shaped cloud to say your Love is True bonded in Heaven with cords that bind His heart to yours in truth.

Some heart whisperings of mine……

God’s Music in the Key of Love touches our innermost Heart in a way that no other music can… and the Melody is …How great is our God

The Love of God has no beginning or end — it is eternal as He is eternal, it is unlike the Ocean, there is no height that it cannot reach or depth that it cannot go, it always Trusts, always Hopes, always Perseveres, keeps no record of wrongs, never gives up and it never fails.

If there is anyone we cannot Love that means we cannot really Love anyone. Love and Hate cannot co-exist.

You are never really apart when you hold someone in your heart.

A man and woman’s’ heart should be so hidden in Christ Jesus that to find each other they need to seek Him first.

God bless you both greatly – Christian Love Anne

• island traveler says:

I feel so blessed today with the generous words of faith and love from a sister in Christ. My wife and I had so may trials that we stopped counting them. We’re just glad that God in his kindness helped us during those times. He is a God that hears the inner cry of our hearts. Then he gives a sign…one of which is a heart shape cloud from heaven. God bless you both and best wishes…

22. Pingback: The Candle Lighter Award | Freedomborn

23. 7theaven says:

God bless you both, congrats.

And the pics you took are excellent

24. Island Traveller….. this is such a romantic love story!!! Someday you should print out all your stories & publish it!!! It would make for some super good reading!!! (or at least… I’ll buy it :) )… Seems you two are blessed to have found one another!!! & that you love each other unconditionally…. it is so special!!! The affection that you have for her radiates through your stories & in your photos!!! Happy Valentines day Island Traveller!!! :) **

• Thank you my friend. These words sounded like sweet music to my heart. Comments like this keeps me inspired and motivated. Wishing you and your hubby all the love everyday.

25. thedailydish says:

What a sweet and wonderful story. Thank you for sharing something so personal – a reminder that love can find us, and sustain us, in the darkest times. And that with it, we are made whole.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you & your beautiful wife!

• Love this one, “a reminder that love can find us, and sustain us, in the darkest times. And that with it, we are made whole.” The love stories we tell inspires all of us to always keep our love and relationship alive and glowing. Life may be tough but love should never be compromised. When things seems to be out of hand, all we need is to go back and remember the first day you and partner met and feel in love like crazy. Thank you. Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your amazing husband….

26. judithhb says:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful love story with us. To find the one person in the world is a blessing and those of us who do are truly blessed. Happy Valentine’s Day my friend.

• To a very generous friend, Happy Valentine’s Day. I pray that each day, love and joy will come your way. Thank you for saying, “To find the one person in the world is a blessing and those of us who do are truly blessed.” You made me smile…

27. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Ready | this man's journey

28. Arindam says:

It was awesome. You nailed it with your words. I think this is the post of this valentine’s day. I read somewhere a quote ; which was “Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale..” And you are experiencing that bro. You are really blessed. I can identify myself with some parts of this post. So it was a treat for me to read this post of yours.
    You both are made for each other. All my best wishes to both of you. Thank you for this wonderful story bro. :)

• We have our imperfections but we keep each other inspired and growing through the years. We had a lot of difficult times and trials but somehow, my wife and I, together weathered the storm. Bro, when you find that one person that completes you…fight for that love…it’s all worth it. God bless you and your family…Thank you.

29. thirdhandart says:

Great post IT! So glad that you and your lovely wife found each other. Please, live happily ever after!

30. jakesprinter says:

Great Entry my friend

31. Even the clouds are showing that you are in cloud-9. Beautiful love story.

• I didn’t notice that the clouds were into a romantic mode . all I knew was, we were so happy that day….I guess pictures don’t lie. It captures what the moment was all about. For that, I’m always grateful and humbled. Thank you and best wishes to you and your family.

What a wonderful, romantic story… May your love continue to grow and shine in every way! :-)

33. Jo Bryant says:

that is just the best story ever – wonderful

‘I would like to believe that it was love written across the sky.’
    Beautifully said. Beautiful love story. Thanks for sharing!

35. Barb says:

I love this story and what it says about the power of love.

36. suitablefish says:

thank you for brightening my day with such a touching and romantic story. of course, the photos as usual are wonderful. The sunset shot is amazing.

37. Elyse says:

What a beautiful tribute. May your lives be filled with heart shaped clouds.

• “May your lives be filled with heart shaped clouds… ” May it also fill our hearts with love that never end, of love that would sustain us in all things. Thank you…..God bless you and your love ones.

38. Cafe23 says:

Awww this is such a beautiful post. It’s very inspiring to just remember what matters the most — love! :)

• You’re right. When time gets rough, tough and hard to bear, all we need is remember what matters the most- love and the people who brings us just that! Thanks. Best wishes to you and your family.

39. Whoa! This post is sweeter than a dozen boxes of chocolates! I love your romantic story of how you two met (butterflies in the tummy and all).

And isn’t that so sweet that your son took the picture of mom and dad looking out at the sea together? I must say that he did a fabulous job!

I wish you and your family a beautiful Valentine’s Day filled with heart shaped clouds! Not a coincidence to me, but merely fate. Speaking of fate, we are both blessed my friend to have found our “true love” in life. :)

Happy Valentine’s Day! Thanks for sharing your heartfelt words. By the way, I am dedicating this song called “My Valentine” by Paul McCartney to you and your wife. It just came out this week. NPR (National Public Radio) is letting everyone listen for free. Hope you enjoy my friend. I think you will. :)

Just click the link below. There will be a very short commercial (seconds) before the song plays.

• I’m speechless with lots of joy in my heart. Thank you for the song, “My Valentine.” It made my heart quiver a bit. Just beautiful words flowing with the music. But this is my favorite she you said, “Speaking of fate, we are both blessed my friend to have found our “true love” in life. ” I’m so happy for you. It takes only a few to inspire the world that true love exist and that we just need to be ready for it. God bless you and your family. May love and happiness come your way always.

40. what a great post and tribute to the love between you and your wife.
    if the creative challenge is on ‘love’ tomorrow, you could definitely use this one.
    a touching story.
    thanks for sharing.

• pix & kardz says:

oops, that was supposed to be by pix & kardz. typing too fast :)

• island traveler says:

Thank you . I couldn’t think of a greater physical gift for her this Valentine’s Day than making a post of our lovestory . Years from now when our memory starts to fail, there’s this post that will remind us how it all started ….

41. enzo says:

one great love story in here…

42. nelson RN says:

Beautiful love story wonderfully written by a person whose sincerity in everything he writes come from the heart! Thanks for sharing!
    I also shared my love story last year during Valentines, and I’m planning to repost it this week, because I’m so inspired by your post :)

• island traveler says:

Your lovestory with your wife from childhood to now is just incredible. Life a fairy tale , only its real. Just a beautiful story filled with love , hope and dreams. God bless you and your family…

• nelson RN says:

Hei, wala lang… napadaan lang ulit :)
        I like these pics with your wife – silhouttes, nakatalikod, holding hands – nice! Magpapakuha rin kami ng ganyan (sintimyento ng naiinget! hehe!) !

• Oh sige…and post it please. Love your family picture where you guys were sitting on the sand, watching the sunset. Breathtaking! take care my friend. best wishes to your family.

Bro, why can’t see any comment from me? Sorry I just want to know ‘coz there might be a technical problem or what. I’ve been observing this: Sometimes I see my comment getting in the post (on some blogs) and sometimes not (on some blogs like yours).

• Sorry. It was a technical problem indeed. Our friend Liz had the same problem a few weeks ago. Thank you for telling me….those comments are treasures to me in this blogging world. Stay blessed Bro…best wishes to your family.

44. Huffygirl says:

What a wonderful love story. And the heart-shaped cloud – perfect.!

45. touching and wonderful! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all of your postings, but this one is top notch!

46. sonsothunder says:

Absolutely awesome …though, I do believe love at first site is proof of the “Soul Mate” persuasion, and there are no coincidences with God…I still think you’da had her at least for a little while with just the “Hook-Line Title” of “I wished for love and it came true”

• “There are no coincidences with God.” I like that. I believe everything happens for a reason. That every road leads to somewhere. I’m just glad that I didn’t have to look far or wait too long or have to go through many relationships. I can only take so much heartaches. After my second break up, God said, “Okay, let’s give this man his soul mate before he breaks out in tears!” Thanks for the comment.

47. Pingback: Two Subjects Meant To Fall In Love | this man's journey

48. sandraconner says:

I had a few minutes to browse through your other posts and found this one. I couldn’t resist reading it. It is truly precious. Your wife must feel very blessed by it.