The Legend Of The Sea Pearls

A Few months ago, I made a post that included a legend of my hometown with a mixture of the stories that I experienced growing up in an Island surrounded by romantic and passionate people. It was a story about love and a dream that never died. It was a story about destiny and a love engraved on the sand which the tides can never wash away because of a spell that can only be broken by the two destined people to meet and love each other for the rest of their lives.

Whoever captured this image, captured the soul and heart of the moment. Borrowed from the Facebook paged of the countless Boracay Island visitors, who not only found love, renewed their love but found themselves once again as they gaze at its magical sunset.

One of such story is that of a beautiful maiden, daughter of an Island King who was so enchanting that noble men of the other Islands would travel the treacherous seas to see her and hopefully win her heart. Each one would give her the best treasure that their Island had to offer from precious stones, to gold , to even herds of cattle. The maiden at the end of the day felt sad. Her father looking troubled asked her, ” my precious daughter, why are you so sad?” She answered, “nobody seems to see who I really am. Everyone only sees the superficial part of me. I’m afraid I have no one to give my heart to.”

Just when she was about to give up, an honest man of less nobility walked in. He was holding a rectangular object wrapped in a simple wrapper. The lad in all his humility handed his gift to the maiden. As he gave his offering he said softly, ” I may not have the riches in the World, but I promise to love you until my last breath, to cherish you , dream with you, seek life’s happiness with you, to share endless Sunsets till we are old and gray.”

The maiden was speechless. She opened her gift hurriedly. The present is a portrait painting of herself with a poem at the back. She asked him, ” who made this?” With his head bowed to the ground, he replied, ” I did.”

When she finished reading the poem, she looked at the man who just wrote the kindest and most affectionate words she has ever read. Who knew the deepest cry of her heart. She smiled at him sweetly and as she did so, tears of joy came down her eyes. Each of these tears, turned into shiny pearls that people of the past believed were the first origin of the deep-sea pearls.

Finally, the maiden asked, ” how did you know the inner most longings and secrets of my soul?” The young man said, ” did you remember a boy you met by the beach so many years ago? The one you poured your thoughts, hopes and dreams? I was that boy. Right then, you had my heart which to this day only beats for you.”

When the seas are calm and the golden sunset is in perfect unison with the romantic sky, from afar, people could catch a glimpse of the couple whose legacy of love continues through the people who believed in their story.

When you get the chance to visit the sea, check the sand, perhaps you’ll find your name on it and the one “true love” destined for you. We can make each day as inspiring as it can be. We can fill it with tremendous love engulfing our hearts with infinite happiness.

We can make each day feel like Valentine’s Day. A day that doesn’t need a shower of material gifts. Instead, it requires a sincere, honest, giving and loving heart that can withstand the challenges of time.

Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine’s Day. May it bring you all the love and happiness that you wished and longed for.

To all who took these photos, thank you for sharing that special moment with us. Your images captured the heart of the Island and all the people who found love and refuge in it.

This entry was posted in Events, Life, Love, people, photography, Post A Week and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to The Legend Of The Sea Pearls

How precious is this story. A good example of faithful and devoted love. Thank you so much for sharing this story. HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY TO YOU!

2. For married couples of so many years, the challenge for both is to see love beyond the romantic lights, the colorful sunsets, the beautiful music of pianos and violins. When we see and love the other in the ordinariness of everyday life, then we can really say that “this is the one…for life.”

Hope you had a wonderful V-day with your family!

@))–>>——

• This thoughts are just golden and priceless, “When we see and love the other in the ordinariness of everyday life, then we can really say that “this is the one…for life.” And let me add, “when we love the other in their worst, in their most darkest moment, then we know loved without any conditions, we love with all our all…” Thank you. Wishing your family all the love and joy…

3. edshunnybunny says:

I’m stopping by to repay your visit to my blog a couple of days ago. I’m so glad I did because I really enjoyed this story :)

• island traveler says:

Thank you. That is so thoughtful of you. I appreciate the visit. It was a wonderful discovery when I read your blog/post. Have a great day…

4. Hope you had a good Valentine’s day!

5. sonsothunder says:

Awesome story. The Sea was my first Valentine…thank God my wife shares the passion.

• island traveler says:

You are blessed that your wife shares your passion…love trully not only open our hearts but also our eyes and to all the beautiful possibilties in life. Wishing you and your way lots of memorable sunsets…

6. misspinkles says:

awwww…
    great story

• island traveler says:

Thanks. Reading the story for the second time made me more appreciative and grateful for the love in my life. Yes, it’s not perfect but it’s those imperfections that makes us stronger.

7. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. Wish you all the best! ~Sophia

• island traveler says:

Thanks Sophia. I’m glad to know that you enjoyed the story…I think going back to those memories and stories that made us float in cloud 9 helps keep our passion alive and burning. Happy Valentine’s Day…

8. viviene says:

Nice story =) Happy Valentine’s Day =)

9. nelson RN says:

This is a wonderful story, IT. Is this the “alamat ng perlas” :D ?
    I really liked it. Belated happy valentine’s day!

10. island traveler says:

I’m not really sure if its the “Alamat ng Perlas” I kind of pretty much based it on partly of the story that went with my head and the love story I had with my wife when I was courting her . So it’s both based on the stories I remembered and the love I experienced myself… But let me check the “alamat nang perlas ” with Google. Thanks Bro…I appreciate the thoughtfulness.

11. Island Traveller…. What a beautiful love story you have… :) I wish you & your family all the love in the world today (although yesterday was Valentines Day ;) ) & for all the years to come!!! :) **

Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing this. Happy Valentines Day.

13. That was so beautiful, the story really moved me. Belated Valentine´s wishes to you and your family – and I love the header photo!

14. That is the love that we all wish for deep down. What a touching story. Thanks for sharing.

15. What a sweet story. Isn’t it wonderful that the beautiful maiden knew in her heart that there was something vital missing in each of her suitors? And then recognized true love for what it was when it finally found her again… Wish everyone had the wisdom to see behind the face of things…

• Love makes us see what is pure and real. It is the genuine intentions that counts. What’s the point of having everything in this world but our heart and soul feels empty and alone? We can be happy with the little we have because of the people who love us all this time. They keep us going. Thank you. God bless….

16. wolke205 says:

This story is always wonderful to read. Hope you had a lovely Valentine’s Day :) Take care. hugs.

Beautiful Island Story! I am very touched by it. Already as a child I always loved similar romantic stories. and loved to dream about romance! Have a wonderful time when you go back home!

• When I was younger I wasn’t as romantic but now, every emotion, feeling and nostalgia matters.I realized now that moments like these we should never forget, that we should always celebrate them. It helps us appreciate the love of our lives and the time we spent with them. Thanks for sharing generously. Have a beautiful day my friend.

18. Kate Kresse says:

lovely story and post. hope your valentine’s day was extraordinary

• It was a special Valentine’s Day because the love of my life was with me…and she inspires me everyday…that’s my priceless V-day gift from her. Thanks for the comment.

Happy Heart Day to you too!

Thank you Island Traveler for another beautiful tale of love . . . would be nice to find written in the sand . . . I love you, signed God. :)

• This would be my happiest moment if I get to see written on the sand, ” I love you, signed God.” Although I know that in our hearts, his name is already written forever. Thank you. Wishing you all the love and blessings.

Hi Island Traveler, I am sending you this ABC Award because your blog is so enjoyable. I love the photos and the writings. Please see instructions here:

22. jhirzel88 says:

Hmm, that story seems somehow….familiar. Didn’t you make a post on that Island thing before? Happy Valentines to you and your family! I just wish I could have cared more about the holiday. I feel that I have no reason to celebrate it because I don’t have a girlfriend. The only girl I knew was just a friend so I guess I can’t complain too much.

• Yes, I did post it before on weekly photo challenge called “faces,” I thought it’s a beautiful story, perfect for the month of hearts. V-day is not only about romantic love, it’s about love in general for those we care about like family and friends. Thanks for sharing. I wish that one day you’ll find your special someone…

23. semprevento says:

:-) bellissimo! beautiful love!
    vento

24. munchow says:

Such a beautiful story – and longing for the Island in your own heart, I believe. The story tells a tale about what really matters in life. We all to often get caught up in the superficial, the façade, the outside. As always your pictures tell a story of themselves. I particularly like the girl running on the beach and the one above with a man sitting on a board(?). You know, in my country with have the similar traditional story although in a different setting, but I like the engraving in the sand that cannot be washed away. Simply beautiful.

• Thank you my friend. As always, words bring inspiration. You sum up the reason why a shared this story when you said, “. The story tells a tale about what really matters in life. We all to often get caught up in the superficial, the façade, the outside.” Some people forget why we celebrate holidays like Valentine’s Day. It’s not about the material things that the commercial world is trying to instill in our minds. It’s about celebrating the love we shared to those that inspires us each day…may it be our family, our friends or our God…

25. jakesprinter says:

I love this post my friend

26. Sonel says:

I just love your blog and nominated your for the “Awesome Blog Award” and hope you don’t mind. :)

27. Thank you. What an honor. It’s a joy everytime when I receive something so beautiful as this award and all that it stands for. Wishing you all life’ wonderful blessings.

I’ve heard the story before but your version sis romantic and sweet. ;-)

29. Arindam says:

Bro, hats off to you. Beautiful, beautiful & beautiful. That’s what I can say about this post. After reading this post, I am having a feeling in me that, there is something missing in my life. I have to search a person whom I can love as soon as possible. :) You presented this post beautifully. Each photograph you choose, each word you wrote was full of love. I can tell you, you are one of the most honest people I have met in this blogging world. That’s why I respect you a lot. Bro just be the way you are. I can only send lots of love to you and your family. May god bless you all wonderful people.

• Whew, these words sounded so good. Just full of motivation and positive, uplifting thoughts. Comments like these are what keeps me from trying my best to deliver a post that moves people. I wish and pray that one day you’ll find your own soul mate, the one that will swoon your heart. Whoever she is, she is one lucky girl. I wish you love and joy Bro…one day soon, it’ll come like a sweet breeze from the ocean…

30. Pingback: Tropical Island Sun | this man's journey