The Island Night Market

Weekly Photo Challenge: Arranged

When the sun sets, the Island is lit up with the fun and vibrant colors of the market place which the locals referred to as the “Talipapa.” This week’s photo challenge is called “Arranged” and nothing can be more fascinating than the arrangement of a beach market.

The beautiful and exotic lamps made from materials like bamboo, sea shells and coconut greeted us as we entered the market. My eyes were on a visual feast. So much texture and colors. So much ingenuity and artistry. So much hard work and personal touch with each hand-made products.

Island Souvenirs

Tiny bags made of "Banig," a local plant with a hand-painted wooden sea creatures and sea shells.

Aside from pictures and stored memories, every happy and memorable vacation is never complete without a souvenir. The Island is blessed with so much variety of local crafts that I started getting confused when it was time to choose which item to buy. My wife was wise when she told me, “Focus on the budget.” She kept me on track in terms of money spending which is very important to any planned vacation.

I bought several bracelets and key chains for my friends. I thought the looked really cool.

It rained for 15 minutes. It gave me enough time to take better pictures. It’s hard to take shots when you’re walking fast paced. Part of my vision was looking at the subject, the other for any holes that I might step into.

Wood carvings from the mountain province. Long before Christianity was introduced, people believed in Gods of Nature like the Rice Gods and the Gods for a bountiful harvest. Even to this day, old folks in remote areas still believe that supernatural beings exist in nature. I grew up being told about these beings. I haven't seen one but I swear I felt their presence as a kid when I accompanied my father in an isolated farm with no electricity surrounded by huge ancient trees and of creepy sounds that filled the night .

The next day we woke up early. It was time to go home. Part of me want to stay. Just before leaving the night market, I saw this small guitars. Like the beautiful music they create, I knew that the Island memories will soothe my heart when loneliness strikes.

All of us have beautiful and happy memories. Memories that made us smile and kept us company when we felt alone. What memories made you smile today?

This entry was posted in Culture, Island Summer Of 2012, photography, Travels, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to The Island Night Market

1. agogo22 says:

Reblogged this on msamba.

Wonderful photos; those will help you remember your happy memories!

3. Colors, and more beautiful, vibrant colors… I love colors. I loved reading, looking at your photos as you described the island night market. I enjoyed this so much. Granny Gee

I liked all your photos of arranged items. The were very colorful and well photographed.

5. Awesome photos. I really like the tiny bags, bracelets, and guitars. But I really like the photos for their colors and arrangements. I’m glad you were able to take a trip back home and gathered new memories to add to old ones. Thanks for sharing your memories. Many blessings to you and yours, my Friend.

6. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Arranged « Changeversations

I love outdoor markets. The colors in your photos make me smile.

What a visual feast indeed! I’d be so overwhelmed with all the colors and choices. So, does “Talipapa” mean “Night Market” then?

9. Great shots and lovely colors! Have a nice week! :)

10. katehobbs says:

Bright, colourful, full of variety and each photo shows arrangements that are wonderful. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for pingback to my blog.
    Kate

Colorful pictures! Happy April’s Fool! :D

12. Gilly Gee says:

So ,much temptation, I would find it hard to resist the woodcarvings!

13. Sonel says:

Oh, it’s all so beautiful! I wouldn’t know what to buy! hehehehe
    Great entry! :)

14. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Arranged « 3rdculturechildren

15. Cheryl says:

Fascinating walking tour seen through your eyes, Mr. B!

16. thirdeyemom says:

What a beautiful post! I did mine on arranged too as I love markets. I think your photos of the night market are spectacular!

The vibrant colors are as intense as the kind of bonding moments you are having for your vacation, Bro.

18. Pingback: Flat Ruthie Rests on the Frigidaire | Cardboard Me Travels

Very interesting and colorful displays!

20. You really have a good eye. Enjoyed all your photos.

21. I feel on the verge of sensory overload just looking at these images! How is one to choose one thing from so many things?!

I hope these sweet memories will be a light to you when you need it. :)

22. Frank Bishop says:

You are getting better. Those colors pop! Those hand carved statues look awesome, if I ever get to visit I want to get one of those as a souvenir. Everything looks vivid and beautiful.

23. Paula says:

Hello Island Man :) I enjoyed seeing your photos and post again. I have problems attaching weekly photo challenge or daily post links to my posts…. It will take time for me to figure that one.When I write a post I can only add one link and it is to my blog :S…Nevertheless, I am glad you manage to find my posts and comment on them. Thank you.

24. Colline says:

f you do not buy anything, you can feast your eyes on different creations that you normally do not get at home.

What a nice collection. The small things are attractive for children. :)

26. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge April | ♥ Project 365 ♥ Challenge ♥

27. I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your posts and I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! The details of the award are on my page.

28. Freedomborn says:

So many wonderful memories, thank you for sharing them with us, we appreciate seeing the differance from our own markets.

Christian Love and Blessings from both of us.

29. Arindam says:

Beautiful photographs bro. One day I will must visit your island. I am crazy for bracelets. So you give me lots of things to remember through this post. Enjoy your holidays bro. :)

30. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Arranged [and yummy!] « 3rdculturechildren

31. jakesprinter says:

Great entry for the topic my friend brilliant idea :)

32. starlight says:

had the chance to visit bora early 80′s (hehe, now you know i’m old na..) and it’s so virginal, no electricity, no roads, if you want to hike the “katutubo” or natives were so friendly to guide you and carry your load, accomodation was so simple just in the bahay kubo wherein you sleep on the “papag” with mosquito nets with clean sheets and pillows, our food, we buy from the local fishermen which the caretaker will proudly cook for us, sand sparks so bright that you can’t look at it with naked eyes during the peakhours of sunshine, no souvenirs to buy thus i took home some shells and a bit of sand.. we’re the only pinoy visitors in the island because mostly are europeans and yes its true, they are so at home that do sunbathing topless.. gone are those days, now bora is so modern and noisy with all the comfort, luxury and amenities, but if you would ask me, i prefer it to be like before, serene and naturally beautiful like a paradise .. (there used to be no entrance fee at the puka beach in crystal cove island where you would find the crystal cove caves in those days)

• I agree with you. I prefer it the way it was although I first went there in the 90′s…so, I did miss it’s “virginal” days. During off season, particularly from sunrise to about 0800 a.m., I still felt like the beach was all mine. As for the hotels and restaurants…they’re now everywhere which I think kills the paradise-like ambiance it once were noted for. Thanks for sharing.

33. Beautiful photographs that make us curious to visit this night market. Thank you for bringing it to us. haha…Your wife is wise. “Focus on the budget” and the ability to bring things back which you did in choosing the bracelets and key chains.

• Thanks Georgette. Between me and my wife, she’s the “money” smart. I think women have a gift when it comes to budgeting. The night market was a lot of fun, not just the colors and stuff but of what the people talk about like island gossips and all.

34. pix & kardz says:

lots of colours – lots of choices.
    thanks for sharing these arrangements.

i don’t know what it is, but i seem to be having challenges accessing your blog the last few weeks. there is always a delay before it pops up, and one time it even shut down my browser :( hope you are not having computer problems at your end. in any case, this one finally opened, and here i am. all is well. hope you and your family have a blessed Easter!

• I was notified that someone was hacking some of the bloggers blog including the settings and I wasn’t aware until last week. But looks like it has been fixed by the WordPress staff. Thank you for sharing and for bringing it into my attention. Have a great weekend.

35. Patti Kuche says:

What a wonderful visual feast of arrangements made even more vibrant in the dark of the exotic island night.

Happy Easter and all best wishes to you and your family!

(Also had trouble accessing your blog and echoing P&K hope all well your end)

• Thank you and thanks for telling me about the “accessing” issue. I found out there’s a hacker that is affecting everyone.The WordPress staff is helping us fix it. Indeed the market was exotic and fun particularly at night.Happy Easter and have a lovely weekend.

36. nelson RN says:

Very colorful! I knew from the bracelets that you are in Boracay Island! One of the most beautiful places I’ve been so far! I can’t wait for your beach shots! Happy Easter!

37. munchow says:

Thanks for another lovely and honest post from your visit to old home. I enjoyed following you, also into the market of this post. Great photos, very visual and colourful. So even if you were forced to think budget when getting souvenirs, you a have whatever you may want by proxy of these photographs. All in all it sounded like you had a great trip.

• It was a fun reunion . The travel trip to nearby island was an exciting bonus. I enjoyed every moment of it, from going to the fish market to picnics by the beach. Life is good! Thanks for the comment.

38. Freedomborn says:

Hi Island man we found a way to connect with you where there is a will there is a way.

Easter is a time of rememberance, a time of thankfulness, a time of Joy…

Many Blessings for Easter to you and your Loved ones.

Christian Love – Ron and Anne

• Thank you Ron and Anne . I appreciate that a lot. yes, Easter is a time to remember, to be thankful, to be joyful, to celebrate the life given to us by God. I wish you both all the wonderful blessings.

39. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

You are living in Paradise, I think you already know. Thank you for sharing it though. You’ve got an excellent camera (or are an excellent photographer!) – so clear, beautiful. I love reading your time out there. I’d really love to know – is the picture in the header you & your son? Is it? It’s a great pic anyhow.

Cheers to you!

N. :)

• Thank you my friend. Your words sounded like music to my ears.It was a paradise indeed. I don’t know why I left it in the first place but I guess my journey took a detour . I can’t fight destiny. Perhaps one day, the road leads back to where I was truly happy, so with my wife and son. The header is me and my son. We went fishing at Galveston last Summer for the first time. We were so excited and happy. My wife used her iPhone camera and did a great job taking photos. She went out of her comfort zone that day since it was hot so me and my son can experience a unforgettable father and son moment. Isn’t love amazing? Take care …

• WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

Love is amazing, Island Traveller. It is the energy which sustains life. I am very happy for you that on this earth, you have found such paradise. The photo is beautifully precious.

• Paradise is when we are around the people we love. And the island travel…a happy bonus! Thank. Best wishes to you and your little angel….take care.

40. Tammy says:

Those photos are amazing. I love the color and the warm fun that they portray. What island was this fantastic beach market?

• It’s the island of Boracay but there’s a lot of island resorts all over the country whose market is just as colorful. And every town has an exciting market unique just for that place.Thanks for sharing. Have a fun day.

41. Great post, thanks!

42. Sabina Brave says:

It’s so colourfull… :)

43. What beautiful photographs you take! And how you plan the composition to achieve the best of those colors — I especially like the fish souvenirs — the whimsical silliness of three funny smiles in a row makes me smile myself.

thank you for visiting, commenting on, and following Middle Aged Plague. I agree with you that this amazingly loving God of ours takes a lifetime to understand, but it’s a journey worth doing!

• Beautiful words that lights up my day. thank you. There is so much beauty around us and compared to my photos is like a grain of sand. I wish I can capture most of them but that would be impossible. Cameras don’t lie, they simply show the beauty and magic of the objects, events, of nature and people. I wish more people see it that way. That there is more goodness and beauty out there than they think. Have a blessed day my friend….

Wonderful, colorful arranged things! I’m finally catching up but will come back and check later on other posts. Thanks for your patience!

45. jhirzel88 says:

I can definitely see a lot more displays than we get on the shore.