The Stairways Of Life

Some stairway leads to an adventure that brought us beautiful and happy memories.

Others were scary with a mixture of danger, excitement and a thrill beyond words.

A stairway for those who know how to swim...

Some stairway leads to a journey that we share with the people we love.

My son on his first boat ride. His facial expression was filled with excitement and wonder. He climbed the slippery wooden stairway like a pro. I was the one who almost fell and needed more practice with balancing. Oops!

Other stairway reminds us that we should face life with humility, simplicity, with meaning and purpose.

Going around the countryside was a humbling experience. I thought I had a lot of rough trials and was stressed out with a lot of things until I saw how so many people could barely have the necessities in life. It opened my heart to the truth and what's important in this World. It also gave me a sense of purpose. I hope to go home one day and try to make a difference. To help out in whatever way I can.

Best of all, some stairway lead us back to that place that gave us a wonderful childhood. A place where we can be ourselves, to laugh generously, to feel comfort in the embrace of our love ones. A place where we see God‘s work and goodness in our lives.

Hope you enjoyed my version for this week’s Sunday Post called “Stairway.” Each of us takes a different stairway in life everyday. What was yours today?

This entry was posted in Island Summer Of 2012, Life, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Sunday Post and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to The Stairways Of Life

1. Lagos says:

The water is AMAZING! Is this the Philippines because the people are wonderful. They dont have running water or beds to sleep on but they keep their faith and those smiles just really fills your heart. Such genuine people.

• Yes, it’s the fun and ever vibrant, the Philippines. Despite of the poverty that I saw everywhere, the people are genuinely happy and I was happy. I can’t really explain the magic that it has. As you said, the people are genuine. When they welcome you, they welcome you open arms. Thanks for sharing …

2. Wonderful post, and lovely photos!

3. Thank you so much for linking to my post on Stairway to Self-Esteem.
    I LOVED your interpretation also!!!! All of the photos were beautiful…but the last one really touched my heart. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing outlook on life…it is so very uplifting. :)

• The last one is speacial to me. It’s the stairway that leads to my home. The home I missed for 10 years. It was a beautiful visit. Thank you. Your comment just touched my heart. have a blessed day…

I really love this post. One of your best :)

• Thank you. I felt so blessed during my last vacation. I never realized that a lot of people love me just for being me….and that they believe in me when I didn’t even believe in myself. They helped me find the right stairway to walk on too and that they made sure I know that they are walking with me. What more can I ask?

5. judithhb says:

Thank you for this – it has inspired me for today’s post

6. jakesprinter says:

I Love all the beauty of your photos here, full of inspirational and happy memories
    great work for this week theme my friend , Thumbs up :)

7. Beautiful photos. Happy memories. Good combination. Nice post. :-)

8. Great thought provoking post! And beautiful photos!

9. Pingback: The Sunshine Award | AllThingsBoys Blog

10. I’ve nominated you for the Sunshine Award! Check out this Link: http://allthingsboys.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/the-sunshine-award/

11. Gail says:

You are such a good writer. I love this post (as I love all that you write). Your words always have such deep meaning for me and open my eyes in some way. “I thought I had a lot of rough trials and was stressed out with a lot of things until I saw how so many people could barely have the necessities in life. It opened my heart to the truth and what’s important in this World.” Thank you for sharing this. God Bless you and your sweet family always.

• Thank you Gail. My family, the people I meet, the blogger friends who shared their mind and heart, all of you inspired me to ask myself what really matters in this world. And having the chance to visit my family and the country I left behind only confirmed what I always longed for. I hope one day my prayers will be answered. God bless you and your wonderful family.

Always enjoy my stairway up here . . . my favorite moment: leave the shoes outside! Your mom is wise and everyone should leave their shoes outside before coming into a place that holds family love.
    Peace with you and your love ones…thanks!

• Thanks Sunshine. My mom’s habit can be infectious. Now, me, my sisters and our family leave our slippers outside the door too or next to the entrance in our homes. It makes sense particualrly if you just came from work like the hospital. I wish you peace , love and joy.

13. Pingback: STAIRWAY of Life « Simply Charming

14. Sonel says:

Wow! What a sight IT. The colour of the water is just amazing. I will swim there all day long. So beautiful! :) I can see that your son absolutely enjoyed it. Nothing better than a boat ride on a beautiful island. :) Oh, I don’t blame your mom. I was like that at a stage, especially when I’ve
    just cleaned the tiled floors or carpets and in comes everyone with muddy footprints..hehehe and then I got Simba and well, needless to say, it doesn’t matter anymore. LOL!
    Absolutely stunning post with stunning photo’s my friend! Great entry! :)
    *hugs*

• Thank you Sonel. You made me smile with your comment. My mom has an obscession about cleaning. It’s like her mental theraphy. I just had to remind her to be careful after breaking her ankle when she slipped cleaning the tiled floor a few years back. My son had an amazing time. I saw the extreme joy on his face, and the generous laughter when he was around his cousins and when we were visiting the beaches. I felt bad that we had to go back. Perhaps one day, I get to be close to Paradise for good.Have a blessed day my friend.

• Sonel says:

Yes, it is mental therapy for sure and well, afterwards I sit with the aches and pains. LOL! She is blessed to have a caring son like you. Mine is like that as well. Always taking the work out of my hands when they see I am becoming too hyperactive. :)
        It’s good that you took your son there my friend and hold on to that dream. Know that you will go back to Paradise soon. :)
        *hugs*

• I will hold on to that dream. It’s a dream that motivates me everyday. I felt blessed that my son got to see his other home and gets to love every moment of it. God bless you my friend…

15. angrygaijin says:

Beautiful pictures~~ Where were they taken??

16. imexcited says:

Beautiful! I love this post.

17. Pingback: SUNDAY POST : Stairway | Sonel's Photographic Corner

18. Iñigo says:

Beautiful photographs :)

19. loftexperiment says:

thanks for linking to my post! Love the pictures

Another beautiful one :-)

21. Pingback: Çeşme - A beautiful coastal townCassie meets World

22. Cassie says:

What an excellent entry, my friend! Beautiful pictures and beautiful words! I linked your entry in my interpretation: http://cassiemeetsworld.com/photography/before-sunday-post-stairway-cesme/

Wish you all the best any may lead all the stairways in your life to happy places, Cassie

23. Gorgeous post, brings so much meaning to something we step on and over every day without a second thought.

• Thanks. I’m glad you like it. Every step we take each day does have a meaning. When we look back, we can always learn from them and feel encourage to pursue the present and the future.

24. Colline says:

Beautiful photos – and I loved reading the stairway connections to your own life.

25. dadirri7 says:

I love the way you made a story about stairways, and the gorgeous images, each so unique and special, a truly wonderful collection, shared from your heart :)

• Thank you. I appreciate the wonderful and inspiring comment. I really felt happy making this post. It’s a great way to be thankful for the blessings in my life.

26. What a thoughtful collection of images and ideas about stairways – well done!

27. Beautiful. You are spending your life well. And teaching your children to do the same.

• Thank you. I wish I had this kind of perspective and thinking when I was 10 years younger. I could have done more, shared more, even give more. But I still feel blessed that I now have chances like this. It’s never too late to give back.

• I wish the same. If I were offered the option to be ten or twenty years younger, I would say yes only if I could keep the wisdom I have now. Fortunately, I was able to quit my soul-sucking job and now have the time to do more thoughtful things.

Have a great day.

• What matters in this life is that we enjoy what we do and feel happy about it everyday. I’m glad you found the happiness and solitude you are looking for. We only live once…and its a short one too. lets make it the best life we could ever live. Take care my friend and thanks.

28. polly says:

I love all these stair, I really like the first one.

Great photos, as always. Yes, passing by many makeshift homes can be quite humbling. It has always put many things in perspective. We are so blessed where we are and how we’re living!

• So right my friend. A lot of people in rich countries like America don’t realize how lucky they are of what they have. I know that now cause I’ve seen how people live here as compared to a poor country like the Philippines. When you’re poor, you’re really poor. No governement to give you aide for food, shelter and medicines. Thanks for sharing.

Love telling a story with pictures and you do it so beautifully. Great interpretation.

31. thirdhandart says:

Amazing captures! I’ve always ‘wanted’ to make a difference, but it sounds like you’re really going to do it. Many blessings and much luck IT!

• I hope I can do it one day . It’s hard to ignore your heart when that’s all it’s trying to whisper. I wish my family will support me on this when the time comes. Life is not all about enriching ourselves, more than anything it’s finding meaning and fulfillment. That we did something good for others while we were still alive. Thanks and have a blessed day.

32. Sabina Brave says:

I lik the most 1st picture, and all your descriptions :)

Wonderful photos and posts… I love the slippers all lined up… leading up to heaven. ;-)

• Oh, wow. That is an inspiring interpretation. Us for the slippers and the stairs, for the steps that lead us to heaven’s door. Beautiful my friend. Thanks.

34. Elyse says:

Beautiful, IT. Just beautiful

35. Pingback: Sunday Post – Stairway « Writing Life in Words & Photos

36. */-)ndr¡X* says:

Wonderful Images and words my friend!
    I just love them, and a stairway can have such many different meanings, jejeje :)
    Hope you have a great week begining, with so much light in your path. ;)

It’s breathtaking. In particular I like the first photo because the water is really clear and pure.

38. Connie T says:

I can’t comment on your blog. It says it have long running script and it locks up my computer. I finally got to comment by going through twitter. I will email you my comments. I love your posts. The pictures are beautiful about the sun.

39. That image of the nipa hut reminded me of my old home. It brought back happy and sad memories . I hope one day I will have the courage to write about it.

Thanks for a nice post.

• I hope someday you will. Sometimes, one of the best way to heal an old wound is by talking about it. I know that now. I can bottle them inside but one day I know it will just explode and that scares me. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely day.

40. yen says:

I enjoyed this post a lot! I liked how you showed us the different faces of a “stairway” that I haven’t thought of before. I’ll never look at a stairway in the same way again. Profound post!

Hello…I’ve been trying to leave a message on your posts for the last three weeks and every time I get to your site my computer crashes! But I decided to log on at different times and now I am finally able to tell you how awesome your pictures have been. In this post I love the first one. Awesome!

42. Patti Kuche says:

How lovely for you to have a childhood home to return to, with walls so full of old memories to which new ones can be added.

• Thanks Patti. I’m grateful that I will always have a second home, perhaps even a third one. That one day, if I do decide to go back, I have a family, so is my wife’s family that will welcome us with open arms. For that, I’m always thankful.

43. munchow says:

As always you combine lovely photographs with words of wisdom. Yes, there are so many different kinds of stairs we encounter in life. What is mine today? I feel I am on a staircase to more insight and learning – starting with this post.

44. OMG this is soooooo beautiful!!! i MUST visit this place loL!!

45. Hello, I am nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award. I checked and discovered that you have already received this award, but it seemed like a good way to tell my followers about your wonderful blog!

Beautiful interpretations of stairway! They lead us to so many places, literally and figuratively.