A Door To The Past

A Door To The Past

Some doors leads to a glorious past that has long been forgotten.

There was a time when Iloilo, my wife’s hometown was a vibrant, gem of a town during the Spanish Era. The houses were beautiful and the churches, grand and majestic. As time passes by, this grandiosity slowly faded as modernism swept the city’s landscape like a raging wildfire and all that’s left are remnants of a once glitter laden past.

As I went around the city, I made a point in visiting these priceless treasures of the past. At the center of Jaro Plaza stands an old church bell tower that used to beckon the town’s people to gather during festivities as well as the daily church services. Then one day a big earthquake toppled the tower which was eventually restored to what it is now, or what’s left of it.

A Door To A Place Of Faith

Some doors lead to rediscovering and renewal of one’s faith.

The Jaro church is the home of Our Lady Of Candelaria or Our Lady Of Candles. A lot devotees claimed of divine miracles and answered prayers. People believed that on the last days, when darkness covers the Earth, the blessed candles when lit up will never burn out. Faith gives my people a reason to believe, to hope, to hang on no matter how hard life gets. It gives them a reason to smile even when facing a stormy weather.

An old government building that is still used to this very day. The antique door welcomed countless locals throughout the centuries.

This house once holds unforgettable parties during the town’s much awaited Fiestas but times have changed and so are the people who once lived there.

I hope you enjoyed my entry for this week’s Sunday Post called Door. Life prepared many doors for us. Which door to choose is all up to us. We just need to make sure we choose the one that will give us happiness and contentment. A door that will lead us to our dreams and love ones.

This entry was posted in Culture, Inspiration, Island Summer Of 2012, Life, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Sunday Post and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to A Door To The Past

1. Stunning architecture. Fabulous post, IT. Your son ( I assume) looks like he’s appreciating it as well. Must be in the genes. :-)

• He was. I was so proud of him. He appreciated the way of life that is totally in contrast to what he is so used to too. Every moment for him was an adventure. Thank you.

2. dadirri7 says:

terrific photos, it is sad to see the grand old buildings crumbling but change comes to us all!

• I felt sad too. I just hope they can preserve it for as long as they can. It is part of a nation’s cultural heritage and it’s sad if we’ll loose it forever.

Great post on doors are the narritive that went with them. You did more than take wonderful photos of doors you gave them a story, a life. Thank you for listing my blog..

BE ENCOURAGED. bE bLESSED!

• Thank you. I wish I did more research when I was there. I’ve seen the same tower for so many years and didn’t pay much attention until I left the country. I guess, sometimes it takes for us to be away from something valuable to appreciate their worth.

4. What a thoughtful and interesting walk with you through the doors to the past. (And thanks for the pingback!)

5. FeyGirl says:

Such amazing structures! What a beautiful part of history…. Thanks for sharing.

• Your welcome and thank you for sharing. The building materials and design of the past are just rich and extraordinary. Plus the history behind them is just full of wonders.

6. Colline says:

I loved your photos of the old buildings. My favourite? The one of the house past its heyday – I can imagine what life there must have been like in times gone by.

• Thanks Colline. That house reminded me of my ancestral house. So many generations of people lived there even way back before WW II. Once it was a place of family parties and grand gatherings. Then one day, a relative who’s suppose to take care of it sold it and now it looks like a haunted house with ghost memories of the past. So had.

7. Love the photos! THanks for sharing!

Faith is so necessary in circumstances like these. There’s no doubt that yours is strong. Another very beautiful post and sentiment, and thank you for including me in your list.

I love the old buildings and the stories that they carry :)

10. Food Stories says:

Beautiful photos !!!

11. Gilly Gee says:

It’s beautiful now but I can’t help wondering how it was back then!

• It was grand and amazing in the past. A lot of the building were also damage or burned during WW II. Another sad history of my country. I wish people blog then, or wrote them in a book so we can all go back to see what life is in the eyes of the local citizen. Thanks Gilly.

12. siggiofmaine says:

I loved your photos and the thoughts of what has traveled
    thru the doors shown here. Wonderful.
    Peace,
    Siggi in Downeast Maine

13. Great pictures! And I know the feeling that the modern day has washed out past glory, but don’t forget there are people in every town right now making the memories that they’ll hold with the same nostalgia…so it can’t all be bad.(At least until we have cut down all the trees…but that’s just my nostalgia.)

• And I’m thankful for these people. For keeping the history and nostalgia alive. I just hope we keep this passion burning today and through the new generations to come. Thank you for sharing.

14. Choosing to enter the right door in life is a tricky one. First we have to define happiness. Interesting photos, which format did you use?

• Thanks. I used my iPhone’s camera plus app. I used the “magic color” and 70′s retro then created a border. The first one I used the vignette. It adds up to the overall effect. Hope that helps .

15. Sabina Brave says:

I like a lot historical buildings. I like the most that old government building. Really impresive. :)

• More so that it is still being used to this day. I think the materials they used in the past were more sturdy. Some walls are made of fossilized stone and the wood, some are already endangered. Thanks Sabina.

16. Freedomborn says:

Hi island traveler, thank you for the photos, I too like to remember things of the past that many have replaced with the new, shiny, glittery, bright inventions of today and by a fashionable modern focus and this is even in regard to Faith but as God tells us our Faith must be based on His Truth which is unchangeable.

God does indeed still work Miraculously today with Miracles and Signs and Wonders, He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, He does not change. The Bible confirms that there will be Miracles etc today as there has always been in the lives of God’s Children but we must be careful we are not deceived, there is also much deception.

We are to worship only God and pray to our Mediator or Intercessor Jesus Christ and as we pray in The Spirit, as part of The Godhead He advocates for us, sadly man sometimes focuses on their own understanding or others instead of God’s and so they walk in darkness.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

• Thank you Anne. Your words always bring spiritual joy and comfort. I agree, “God does indeed still work Miraculously today with Miracles and Signs and Wonders, He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, He does not change. ” The world will change but his love for us will remain the same. And that gives us hope that we all can have second chances. God bless you and Ron.

• Freedomborn says:

Hi dear friend, I have always been honest and up front, sometimes others don’t appreciate this but I believe it builds Trust and it is how God is with us, He Loves us greatly as you said.

To be honest M I don’t believe in second chances what I do believe in is much more wonderful, you see until we come to full heart repentance and are Born again and perfected in His Love, and so have the mind of Christ, which happens in our lives now, not when we die, we may break God’s heart many times but He forgives, and does not keep a record of wrongs after we have fully repented, which will be shown in our lives.

God knew us before we were conceived and He knew that we would one day come to heart repentance and accept His free gift of Salvation and that we would never reject Him in our heart and so He chose us to be conformed into the image of His Son Jesus Christ which is perfection but this is not as the world thinks and we don’t do this alone, we choose to do what is right and He empowers us to do it and so our flesh nature is put to death, and because we have been set free from the slavery of sin, we can choose to turn from evil and do good.

Both Ron and myself have needed many chances but God is faithful, He does not want anyone to perish and He will never reject His Redeemed Children, He rescues all of us, we were His lost sheep, He is for us not against us, we were brought back from death at a price which was by the suffering and death of His beloved Son who chose to die for all of us because He Loved His Father and us greatly, He believed we were worth it and because we Love Him, we seek not to hurt Him or others.

We Love you our Brother in The Lord, God bless you greatly as we walk the golden path together with The Lord.

Christian Love – Ron and Anne

I love doors and you shared some historic ones rich with character; lovely.

18. Thank you for opening the door to give us a peek at your life, and the things that are important to you! A wonderful post!

• Thanks Naomi. We are all interconnected. Anywhere we go, the journey of life and the stories they tell almost share a common similarities from hope, love, to pain and trials.

19. The secrets hiding behind “Doors” makes them fascinating to me. I’m sure some of these old buildings must have many intriguing stories. Your photo’s showcase “Doors” on buildings that are architecturally extraordinary. Great presentation for the challenge, Island Traveler.

• Thank you Isadora. Yes, these old building have a very unique and rich stories to tell. Some joyful, others with a painful past, while a few, a bit scary and dark. Kind of like life in reality. Every person has a door in his heart that hides all the past events in his life, as well as the dreams, the hopes, the fears. How we let others enter that door makes the difference. Have a blessed day my friend.

20. Just catching up on things… WAY behind.
    Great photos :)

I enjoyed your ‘door’ tour and the Lady of the Candle is my favorite. It must be very pretty inside…thanks and blessings to you and family. :)

• Thanks Sunshine. Yes, inside the church was even more beautiful. Very intricate crafmanships that shows a very rich heritage. Best wishes to you and your family as well.