So Near Yet So Far

Weekly Photo Challenge: Near And Far

WordPress Daily Post’s Weekly Photo Challenge created another brilliant theme this week. It’s called “Near And Far.” The title alone gives me chills and goosebumps. No, not that it’s scary but more because a different near and far interpretation came into my mind. My first thought was “Home and Family.” A feeling and thought of being almost near yet painfully still far away. Perhaps I am just tired and emotional this past 2 weeks or perhaps it’s just my natural weakness for remembering nostalgic moments or perhaps it’s all of these that made me decide to go with my first instinct.

Meet my mom and dad. Even if I’m far from them, I will always be thankful that I had a chance to be near them this year. 28 days seems short but sometimes that is all that we have. What matters is how we use that time. In my case, I made sure it was the best, happiest, most memorable 28 days!

So Near, Yet So Far

There is no day that a part of me wished I never left but I can not argue what destiny had in store for me. All of us have our purpose and a calling in this world. Perhaps this is what my calling has called me for and there’ s no point in arguing with what fate paved way for me. But I’m human with a heart that misses people, places and events. There were days that I stared outside my window, just watching the sunrise. As the Sun slowly rise up, so was my vivid imagination. I imagined that I am at my parent’s house inside my childhood room, eager to meet the brand new day. As I closed my yes, I could smell my mom’s delicious breakfast cooking of sausage, eggs and freshly cooked rice. Power breakfast as she called them. As if she was just next to me, I could hear her say, “Here’s 50 pesos. Make sure you get something to eat on your break time.” Then I kissed her on the cheek as I head out for school. As I looked back and waved goodbye, her figure gets smaller and smaller until I could no longer see anything. Yes, so near that I feel all these in my heart, yet too far that it hurts me to realize that I could no longer give her a hug or a kiss or tell her how my day went in person.

Everyday, for most of my 28 days of vacation I got to choose my dessert every breakfast. How deliciously cool is that? The perks of having a sister with a bakeshop. Love it!

Having a fun time at my sister’s  bakeshop. Every morning she’ll make brewed coffee for me and my dad. I’d eat my dessert before the main breakfast. Yep, I missed that too.

Looking at photos helps me remember the events and memories in my life that made each journey worth celebrating and reliving again and again. In the end, it’s these warm and beautiful memories and images that will remind us of how good life had been.

I apologize for my delayed responses lately. Been busy with work and family. I promise that I will get to them as soon as I can. Your comments and visits are part of my reasons for smiling everyday.

Thank you for sharing your day with me. It gives me joy that you shared my “Near And Far” story. I hope it made you appreciate the beautiful blessings you have in your heart. Blessings that will bring you back to those happy memories when you find yourself standing by the window thinking, remembering. What’s your “Near And Far” Story?

This entry was posted in family, Island Summer Of 2012, Life, Post A Week, Travels, Weekly Image Of Life, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to So Near Yet So Far

1. bulldogsturf says:

I love your near and far interpretation… you seem to have such a wonderful family bond.. one to be envious of… I love your blog it always makes me feel good…

• Thanks Bro. Yes, I grew up with a big , close knit family but then we all grew up, followed our dreams and those dreams took as away from the childhood homes we will never forget.

2. semprevento says:

wow….beautiful moment!
    Kiss for you sweet woman
    vento

I’ll give you a big cuddle then you won’t feel so far away (((())))) that is one BIG cuddle

4. Heartwarming, as always. Beautiful, Mr. B.

I love your interpretation of near and far. Your mom and dad are wonderful people that instilled in you a great love and appreciation of family and life. They may be far away but they are always near in your heart. I appreciate your wonderful stories and pictures. They are a source of inspiration for all of us.

• Thanks Francine. Yes, they will always be with me and I know that they can feel that every time I think of them. They say, parents will always have a bond and connection with their kids even if they are far apart.

6. Fantastic near and far interpretation, it´s never easy to be away from the ones you love. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful interpretation. G.

What wonderful photos of your parents. I love that photo of them in the bakery.

• Thanks Angeline. I love that too. It was one of their off guard moments where the express freely their love for each other. They inspire that I too will reach that age all so in love and happy.

Your family is so beautiful.

9. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Near and Far (Lesbos) « What's (in) the picture?

10. Valentina says:

I know the feeling, my family is also very far, but thanks to Skype we are in each other’s house every day.

11. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Near and Far « Pictures for Froghopper

12. danajoward says:

Nice that you have pictures of your parents now. It shows how near and dear to your heart, yet they may be far from you in person. I like your interpretation of this weeks challenge. :)

It’s so hard being far away from those we love. Our times together are so precious. Lovely, heartwarming post and photos. ;)

14. Freedomborn says:

Thank you Island Traveler for sharing your family with us and how blessed you are and they are too, as I said before, you are a son that Parents would be proud of.

I also live a long way from my Mom and my family and most of my long term friends, I left them so Ron could be with his family, he had very little contact with them for many years and wanted to be near them when he retired especially his Daughter and Grandchildren, you may have seen the post I did for Ron on Aussie Fathers Day.

My own 7 babies are in Heaven but God has filled my arms over the years with other peoples Children and thy call me Granny Annie or Aunty Anne even as Adults, they have brought me much Joy that will always be in my heart, the same with the Children I have shared Jesus with in R.E and my Funday Schools and I’m always meeting new Children, God is so good.

I also have Spiritual Children of all ages who are very much potty trained, some who are even in their 50′s or more. Do Children always listen, Hmmmm you know the answer to that one being a Dad, they often want to hear only what they want, even if it’s wrong and they sure don’t like to be corrected :roll: but without them in our lives there would be a big hole and I’m sure God feels the same about us but still longs for us to listen and be set free to enjoy all He has planned for us.

Christian Love from both of us – Ron and Anne.

• Thank you once again for bringing light and joy. I wish to share my comment on your recent post.
      My friend, I am blessed today because you shared a post that celebrates God great love for us and that we are all reminded that he watches over us more during times of darkness and trials. 9/11 should never be forgotten. The victims and their families deserve to be remembered as well as for us to be reminded that evil is around us just waiting. That we need a God to help us and pray for that light may win over darkness. Evil is real and they come in many forms. We should not let others take away our freedom. Freedom to feel safe, to express, to grow in faith. Thank you for sharing God’s goodness through your words. “Isaiah 43:1-3 – Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.” A blessed day to you and Ron.

15. rommel says:

I’m a loner. I’m away from my family, sisters, and my girlfriend. The little time I spend with them when I do connect with them, I squeeze every moment of it and cherish them the most.

16. scrapydo says:

This is heartwarming! Thank you for sharing these wonderful moments, it brings tears to my eyes.

17. Your photos are absolutely heart-touching. I loved the photos of your parents. Granny Gee

• Thanks . I finally decided to share their beautiful and loving faces. I hope that this post and the ones I made will be a living legacy of how amazing they are as a parent and as a caring human being.

• I can understand how you feel. This is my only way to leave ‘something’ for my grandchildren to read one day to know my son, myself.

Your photos are always special… I feel that when I take time to sit and look at them. Your heart is in them… I see love, also.

18. Lovely; your devotion and love for family come out so beautifully in your writings. I too often tend to be literal with the photo challenges. But this week, I’m going to go for something artistic. I am lucky. My family all lives near me (except those who have gone on). Great photos of those you love with so much devotion.

• Thanks Darla. You are indeed blessed to have your family close to you. I didn’t realize how much I needed them until I left the country of my youth. Perhaps one day with God’s grace, we will all be reunited again.

19. I like your interpretation, your parents look like such a beautiful couple, thank you for sharing them!

God Bless my friend :)

20. Poignant and beautiful, as usual! Lovely post!

You are a blessing. Thank you, Island T. for sharing your heart thoughts…your mom is a lot like mine…always making sure her kids eat something. I swear, I could be 300 pounds and she would still think I would need to eat…bless their golden hearts. :)

• Yes, bless our moms and their generous hearts. My mom enjoys feeding me too. When I was younger I can eat anything and not gain wait but now my metabolism is slower gaining wait is easy like countintg 1-2-3! Ha, ha, ha. Thanks.

• Sunshine says:

It sucks when our metabolism can’t keep up with our eating!! This reminds me of the movie, Mall Cop when the main character has a mom that keeps feeding him and he is already on the chunky side. Did you see the movie? Hilarious!! :)

22. LubbyGirl says:

Love, love, love this story – and the pictures of your parents. Cherish them!!

• Thanks my friend. These was taken during my last Summer visit this year. The first time my dad brought me and sisters to this place was when I was in high school. But it’s amazing how time seems to be irrelevant when you are with the people you love.

Every entry you make moves me. You are a really special man and I’m sure your parents are very proud of you!

• Thanks. Yes, my parents are happy of how their 6 kids turned out to be although they are a bit sad of me and my other sister of leaving the country. Perhaps one day, I will return and live closer to them.

24. I loved on the other side of the world from my family for 12 years, and have only recently returned home. They say the world is small, but sometimes, the world is far, far too big. A very touching post.

25. I love the pictures of your parents. Their faces are etched with love, devotion, a certain contentment and satisfaction.

As much as I love to travel, I am a homebody. Among my brothers and sister, I chose to live close to my parents. Happily, one of my brothers is close to us now.

26. Mom and dad are awesome. Thanks for introducing us to them. It is obvious now where you get your family values from.

27. Such a beautiful post my friend! Your parents are so lovely, and look so in love with each other! :) Your words speak my mind exactly…. everytime i visit my parents i don’t want to go away. Unfortunately that’s life, i may not live with them, but i carry my home wherever i go! :)

28. I so relate. I love it when people recognize that one can be grateful for their lives now, as they are, and yet feel a wistfulness for the possibilities set aside to achieve the one reality. Every time I visit my hometown, I find it harder and harder to leave it and the niece and nephew who now are a part of it . . . and yet, I made the choice I did for a reason, and I am glad for the life I have here, even if some days the sadness feels stronger in the forefront of my mind. Thank you for your beautiful images and reflections.

• Thanks Deborah. I too feel the same way. I guess what matters the most is that we should never loose the connection and always stay in touch.with the people we love. Home is in our hearts wherever we go. Have a blessed day.

29. What wonderful stories to share with us! I love your interpretation of Near and Far, the photos of your family, and the love that is ever present in your heart!

No matter how far we get from them, or how grown up we’ve become with all our own responsibilities and commitments, they will always be “Ama” and “Ina.”

• Yes, they will always be our “Ama” and “Ina” that would love and care for us even if we are all grown up. Thank you my friend and best wishes to you and your family.

Sending a hug across the miles. Thank you for all the beauty you share.

32. Faith says:

Hi, Kabayan!!

Beautiful post, as always! I feel what you are saying, working from outside the country as I am now.

I think I saw a comment from you on my dashboard, but I was on mobile and I must have messed up– cant find it anymore!

I hope you and your family are well. Take care!

Your mom and dad are a lovely couple! They look sooooo in love, and that’s beautiful! Thank you for introducing us to them.
    Lovely post.

34. Such a beautiful post! Sometimes we have to leave our roots in order to appreciate what was always right in front of us. We learn to savor those subtle tidbits of each day and treasure quality time with our loved ones. There’s a great quote, ‘God gave us memories so that we may have roses in December.’ Those same memories allow us to hold our dear ones close to our hearts when distance separates us.
    Your parents instilled a great code of honor in you, based on deep love and respect for others. They are surely proud of you and your lovely family! Z

Family is the most lovely and precious things in life. Also, this is what makes life much more beautiful and meaningful. :)

36. Awww …. you’re Mom and Dad look so sweet together. It is no wonder you have the same loving affection for your wife and family. It is always difficult to live far from family. Unfortunately, more live far away than close. The best thing to do is to make the most of every momnet when you are with them, then, there will be very few regrets. Lovely post and inspiring.
    Blessings

37. dearrosie says:

You are such a loving son. Your parents must be so proud of you.
    It’s a real vacation when you get to eat cake for breakfast.

38. Arindam says:

Beautiful post bro. These pictures must be very precious to you and your family. I could realize how much it hurts to say far from parents; as I myself have to go through that. But may be to pursue our own dreams we have to make that much sacrifice and the biggest part is our parents always supports us to fly like a free bird and to choose our own destination. I am sure you parents must be very proud of having such a wonderful son. Lots and lots of good wishes for you and your family bro.

39. tchistorygal says:

I love reading your posts. How nice to meet your parents (so to speak). BTW I nominated you for a Sunshsine Award. Congratulations. Enjoy the award and picking out your favorite sites. Come visit my site to pick up your award. http://tchistorygal.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/a-lovely-blog-award/

Thank you for sharing your heartwarming stories and beautiful family photos with us!

41. Judy says:

What a beautiful post! I love the images and the stories of your parents and your sister’s bakery!
    Dessert before breakfast? What a great idea!
    You said “I’m a human with a heart…..” . You sure are, Island Traveler…. You are so sensitive and fair, kind and loving, compassionate and giving….yes, you have a Heart of Gold. Thanks for a great post…and a great interpretation for Near and Far.

42. munchow says:

Your sentiment describes so well – in words and pictures – how it is for those who are travelling far away from their love ones. It’s at times overwhelming, but yet full of spiritual strength. So good to have those sacred moments when everything and everybody is connected. Beautiful post!

43. Patti Kuche says:

Well IT, now this just takes the cake! You mean you left home, family, friends, the sea AND a sister with a bakeshop behind?

Your wonderful family share so many precious bonds and connections which keep you all so near to each other in the heart, no matter how far in distance you are from each other. And what a bonus 28 days for you all!

Fantastic shots as always… and yes, here I come again about a broken DP link… Do add another one or not. :-)

This is such a wonderful Interpretation! Thank you for introducing us to your lovely parents. And how lucky you are to have a ‘bakeshop’ at your disposal on holiday! :-D

46. Sue McB says:

I see you have begun to follow my blog – thank you for that! I too love sunrises, and getting up early to capture them. Lovely photos from your everyday life. All the best>