Weekly Photo Challenge: Everyday Life

Everyday Is A Reason To Smile

Yes, life can be stressful. It can wear us out. There are days that we drag ourselves out of bed, still sore and tired from the demands of work and household responsibilities. On the other hand, life also bring us reasons to smile and be happy about. More than happy enough for us to get up excitedly all ready to face any challenges of the day.

It is the everyday life that brings a much more meaningful and lasting value. At the end of the day, we feel good knowing that despite of the odds and difficulties we did our best and made it through. This photo was taken from one of the rural visits of my sister. She works in an agency that helps the poor start a livelihood project to hopefully improve their lives. She too will join me in the U.S. next year. During my last visit, I told her, “make sure that you make the most of everyday with your family , especially mom and dad. Go to places you wish to travel in the Philippines. Create the most wonderful memories. Once you leave you will realize that you never had to much of your family’s love and will always be longing for more nor do you have enough of memories of the beautiful places in our country.” She looked at me, smiled and said, ” I will Manoy.” Manoy is an endearing word for a respected elder brother.

Browsing through my sister’s Facebook page, I came across a trip she made with her friends to help a few families in a fishing village in Capiz as part of their community outreach program. After the event, they got a special treat of  “Buko” or Coconut juice freshly picked from the tree and a mouth-watering, charcoal grilled newly catched seafood. Yep, a reason to smile and be delighted about.

Using her BlackBerry camera phone, she and her friends were able to capture the fun spirit of being among friends, family and a community that appreciate people for their kindness and good heart.

The man in yellow shirt helped them open the Coconut. My sister did gave it try but decided to give the job to the expert. Wise decision. The knife looks sharp and potentially dangerous.

Not to be out done, this gentleman brought them newly picked bananas.

Eating time. Hot newly cooked fish with rice do taste better when eaten using bare hands instead of spoon and fork. One of my sisters, finished an entire fish. Thus the triumphant giggle!

Everyday, we celebrate occasions that are important to us. A birthday, a wedding anniversary, even death anniversaries of the people who touched our lives and wish to remember for as long as we can. This year, my sister’s son turned two. The happiness on his face as he blew his birthday candles were priceless. I remember the pure joy and excitement I used to feel as a child when I had my birthday. My mom would bake me a chocolate cake sprinkled with colorful marshmallows and M and M’s. It was simple yet it had a undescribable magic that I feel is missing when I entered adulthood. Childhood is indeed an enchanting period. Today, I see the same spark in my son’s eyes when we celebrate his birthday.

Another sister celebrated her daughter’s first birthday this year. The theme was “Enchanted.” She dressed up as a little fairy. Costume or not, our kid’s birthdays will always be enchanting.

Everyday, life goes on. Some days are fun while others routinely normal. Some days we are at the top of the world while at other times, we are sad and in tears. No matter what the day brings, we should passionately embrace it. Smile cause you’re happy, love cause you care, laugh cause you feel light inside, cry if you must to cleanse your heart of pain, live to the fullest cause we only have one life to live.

When we are all together, everything around us is one happy and fun playground. Another sister with her husband having a blast at Jawili Beach, Aklan.

Everyday, life reminds us of what is valuable in this world. It also reminds us of the important things that we missed. Life is also about second chances and I know that one day, I will be a part of this family picture by the beach, enjoying a day of endless fun under my very own tropical Island Sun.

Thank you for sharing your day with me. I hope you enjoyed my version of “Everyday Life”  for this week’s Photo Challenge. I apologize for my delayed responses. Lately, my everyday life had been very hectic. I promise to catch up as soon as I can. Wishing you all a beautiful day filled with wonderful blessings.

Aside | This entry was posted in family, Island Summer Of 2012, Life, Love, photography, Post A Week, Travels, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Everyday Life

1. Lovely everyday shots my friend! True happy moments as always! :)

2. Delightful post. I wondered what brought such laughter from your sister. When you reported she had just eaten an entire fish…that made me smile and giggle. There’s an element of surprise and “I didn’t see that coming” in your photo stories.

3. aRVee says:

I love the shots, the smiles and the sceneries… Missed your blog bro. Hope to join back your image of life challenge soon. Stay blessed! :)

Your everyday photos are wonderful. Seeing the smiles on family members faces as they enjoy life is priceless. Thanks for bringing us into your world.

• I could say I had a happy childhood. We were not too rich materially but I had all generous love and care in the world. When I reached college, my sisters were like my friends as well and we hand out everywhere from beaches to movies. Something like the ones in those images. I miss those times…thanks Francine.

5. thank you for sharing sweet glimpses of your sister’s life! z

6. cobbies69 says:

What a fabulous post and great diary of pictures, great pictures as well..lovely share, ;)

7. The viewer receives the vibrance and warmth of your family life: a lovely salute to your lovely family. Your commentary sheds the extraordinary in the ordinary. Wouldn’t it nice if more people appreciated the everyday? Nicely done post.

• Thanks Sally. I had an amazing childhood till I left the country in 2003. I knew I have a very loving family, I wasn’t just prepare for the intense longing that goes when you follow your dream and had to leave what you knew for 31 years.

8. lulu says:

Life stressful? Nah! Your photos certainly look stress free so you must have found a way to avoid it!

9. Vanessa T. says:

A very heartwarming post on family! These lovely photographs put a smile on my face! Makes me cherish my family members more! :D

• Thanks Vanessa. Family is everything. It doesn’t matter if there’s only three of you or 3 dozens. What matters is how you feel and treat each other, that is with love, respect, patience, even forgiveness if needed. In the end, it’s “real” family and friends that stays during our trying moments.

another great article..Your love for your family shines through like a beacon in the dark x

11. LubbyGirl says:

Every time I read your posts, I’m encouraged. I love the way you uphold family and loving relationships, and how you honor your parents and siblings and friends. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for enriching my life through your blog!!!

• Thanks. Making these posts gives me hope. It gives me a reason to smile and be grateful about. Years from now, when my memory starts to fail, I have these posts to remind how beautiful life had been and how lucky I am to have family and friends who shared both my joys and tears.

Everyday life can be so beautiful! I love the photos and glimpse into your family’s life. Great post.

• Thanks Angeline. One of the many blessings to technology. I got them from their facebook photos and even if I physically missed all these fun events, in a way I felt that I was there in heart and mind.

13. mariannegv says:

Beautiful post, as always.
    Kind greetings

Your post is full of fun and the joys of everyday life and makes me smile :)

Oh what a beautiful family you have,so precious!

16. Beautiful, colourful, exciting and educating. Memories linger when we give attention to the real things and people that have great value to us. I love every bit of this post.
    I am excited about your comment on one of my posts on teaching and I have another that might interest you: http://teeceecounsel.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/poem-teaching-guide-for-marks/ It can also help parents to choose their priorities right, when teaching their children. You are unique and skilled in both narration and presentation.

• Thank you for sharing this link. I love it. There is a teacher in all of us. Teaching our kids, friends, family, co-workers and so forth. There is so much to learn and your poetry sums up the priceless secrets . Thank you.

Great shots. Smiles are really important for everyone’s life and peace. :smile:

Love your everyday family photos. Lots of happy times, and great memories made. :)

• Honestly, I had a mixture of joy and sadness when I was looking at the images. Sadness that I was no longer there to share these happy events . Joy knowing they are all safe, healthy, happy and living the lives they always dreamed and wanted. Thanks.

Glad that you have so many happy everyday memories to help you through the hard times that are surely out there, though you disguise them so well.

20. Sabina Brave says:

Life seems to be so beautiful, when we can find beauty in small things. :)

21. Donna says:

I love your photos, and especially enjoy reading of your love for your family. You are very blessed with precious relationships and wonderful memories. May God continue to bless you and your family!

• Thanks Donna. When I felt that I have nothing else to give my family made me realize that I am not alone and what matters is the richness of the heart and its purest intentions. This blog is my way of saying thank you to them.

Lovely everyday life photos! Closeness of family really makes everyday life special.

What a pleasure to meet your family, IT! Hope the day that you can join your family with endless joys will come very soon!

• Thanks Amy. I hope so. My wife and I are hoping that someday, when we are ready, we wish to go back and be with our families. No amount of money or success can replace family.

24. Connie T says:

I like these pictures. Great post.

I love this post especially your reminder to embrace everyday…take care and no need to apologize for your personal life is far more precious. I think most of us here totally understands how busy life is…we will be here. ;) <3

26. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: EVERYDAY LIFE (Water of Life) « A drifter off to see the world

27. Paula says:

So you are Manoy, and I wondered what your name was ;). J/k IT, it is a beautiful post full of hope and happiness. Blessings to you and your loved ones!

• Thanks Paula. I actually have a different name but we call our elder brothers as Manoy and elder sisters Manang. Kind of a sign of respect and acknowledgement of who they are in our lives.

• Paula says:

I know that IT :). I’ve read your post carefully – that was me being funny ;) :D. Now, it is your turn to laugh, or to smile at least :)

Such enchanting family pictures and writing about your family. Thank you very much for sharing.

29. I love the range of motions you manage to capture in every single post. I always feel better after reading, and, somehow, that feeling’s all the stronger having read this post and smiled at its beautiful photos full of love.

• Thanks Deborah. Same here. When I read something that shares a deep human emotion happy or sad, it makes me smile as well knowing I am not alone when it comes to trials and joys we face in our lives.

30. Colline says:

Thank you for sharing your everyday life with us :)

31. emilya says:

Really nice, heartfelt post. It’s good to remember how precious family is, and to enjoy every second of time spent with loved ones (and on this earth in general!).

32. There is no better everyday life then with family. You made me wish I could
    sip on some fresh coconut juice and eat the soft white flesh inside. The green
    bananas boiled with olive oil and onions …… So good – YUM…!!!!
    Great post ….

• Thanks Isadora. I miss these simple pleasures of being around families sharing a a delicious food around the most humble and happy settings. One of the rare gifts of being in the islands.

These are really great pictures. I love the little baby with the cake and the kite picture. It looks like you have a great everyday life :)

• Actually these are the events I missed since me and my sisters parted ways, pursuing our own dreams but there’s no day that I wished we are just all close by, sharing life’s special events as one big family. Looking at this photos makes me feel like I was there too. Thanks.

34. Freedomborn says:

How wonderful that you can look back Island traveler to those special times you had as a Child. Ron brought me my first Birthday cake when I was 30 and then surprised me with a party when I was 50 my first one… now that makes me 2 years old :roll: loved the beauty of the Pictures expressing family, how wonderful that we are in The Family of God dear Brother, thank you for your words that bring Joy and Hope.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

• Thanks Anne. Ron is one sweet and thoughtful guy. He has so much love in his heart inspired by you, a woman with an enormous love and faith. I wish my parents made more pictures when I was smaller and captured the magic of my childhood growing up with 5 sisters. Life was simple, laid-back but filled with laughter, joy and adventure. I still remember bits and pieces although sometimes I would say, “Man, that could have been cool if it was on video.” God bless you and Ron.

35. Ron says:

As you say Island Traveller you could on your journey ,discover a heart of beauty. Sometimes we discover a heart of beauty in the most unexpected places when we least expect it. A look of wonderment in the eyes of a child , look of joy in an old persons face as they see a loved one, even in the actions of excitement by your dog when he is so overjoyed you are home you discover a heart of beauty.

Blessings
    Ron

• Thanks Ron.Yes, sometimes we discover a heart of beauty in the most unexpected places but at the same time, we also discover them in places we already know for most of our lives. All we need to do is open our eyes and heart to what is good, kind and beautiful before us. Have a blessed day.

Every day is a reason to smile … because we have life and opportunity. Beautiful shots! :-)

37. dearrosie says:

Such a happy post. Love the picture of your sister after she ate the whole fish.
    You are blessed with such an enormous family. Every picture is “another sister”.

• I have 5 and it’s always fun and happy time when I’m around them. Now most of us are married with kids of our own so when we meet, it’s like party time! Thank yo for sharing.