My Solitary Walk

Weekly Photo Challenge: Solitary

Solitary can either be positive or negative. It can mean sadness, of feeling alone in this world. Of waking up in the morning, finding ourselves uncontrollably in tears as we look around the empty room, missing, yearning, feeling empty and incomplete. It  can mean being isolated from the rest and loosing our precious freedom. On the other hand, it can mean finding peace and calmness. A source of healing of the wounds left unattended through the years. It is a moment to seek for answers when we feel lost. It is a time to feel close with nature, with God and even to our very selves. Solitary is a way to make sense of all the chaos in our lives, to finally say, “I am home. I am at peace. I am happy.”

My Solitary Walks

Many years ago, I used to walk by myself. Searching for answers. Finding my sense of purpose. Today, I’m blessed with a son and a wife who shares those walks with me. God knows, I have travelled so many scary and dark roads that needed much company and they came into my life just at the right perfect moment.

There are times that our soul yearns for that solitary walk. To experience the healing effect of silence with only the sound of the waves soothing every turbulent heartaches. Last Fall, I took a walk along Galveston’s Seawall. I woke up early making sure I didn’t miss the sunrise. I tried to wake up my son but this time he said, “I’m sleepy dad. See you at breakfast.” It was really nice just watching the day unfold, the Sun slowly rising from the Eastern part of the sea, with the cool breeze blowing gently on my skin. I just stared at the Sun until its glare started to hurt my eyes. It was beautiful. It was serene. It was a moment my heart needed to feel. It was a solitary walk that led me to find myself once more.

Taking this photo was tricky. It was one of those times that I wished I was walking with my photo buddy, my son. The wet concrete I was sitting on was in a slanting position. My iPhone camera didn’t do well this time. Good thing I had a spare Canon PowerShot in my car. It’s been a while since I last used it but sometimes there are situations where only the old reliable camera can fix.

One of the most significant solitary walks led me to this woman who made me realize that I actually needed someone to complete “me.” That there was a reason why I was restless and continually moving around from one place to another. I was in fact, unknowingly trying to find her. Hmm…and I thought it was the little birthmark on my right foot that was responsible for my wanderings.

One of my best solitary walks led me to a boy who changed my life and heart forever. He taught me how to see things through a child’s perspective. That there is beauty and magic in all things no matter how little or simple they may seem. He made me remember the joys of my childhood for which I am always grateful to my parents. He made me smile, even laugh when no one can.

Thank you for sharing your day with me. I hope you enjoyed my version of the Weekly Photo Challenge called “Solitary.” Wishing everyone a beautiful, blessed day.

What solitary walk did you make that changed your life?

This entry was posted in Life, nature, Personal, photography, Post A Week, Travels, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to My Solitary Walk

1. Such a beautiful and touching piece. A wonderful take on Solitary, thank you so much for sharing this, you have brought a smile to my face which I´m sure will last for the day! I´m glad your solitary moments are what have led you to happiness, a woman you love and a son! G :)

• Thanks GIana. One of the many reasons I am always thankful for. Destiny has its way of leading us to the right people who will complete that part that seems to be missing.

Aah, a hearwarming piece IT! that sunset with you on the wet concrete is stunning!

3. As always, beautiful, my friend! z

4. Wonderful thoughts and pictures to complement them! Great submission for the challenge!

5. The first image is stacked with layers of meaning. First, the photograph itself speaks about composition and island colors and nature’s majesty. Second, your personal story emanates through the words attached to all the images. Lovely.

6. Pat Bean says:

I have taken solitary walks all my life, even when I was warned it was dangerous for a woman to do so. I can’t imagine my life without having this time to enjoy Mother Nature’s wonders with no one to interrupt. I think the world would be a more peaceful place if everyone did the same. Thanks for sharing this blog

• Thanks Pat. I admire your way of life and thinking. Of living the life you want to live, embracing you inner free spirit, going places and meeting people, of finding solitude with nature and more. I wish you all the best.

you are a man so eloquent with words. Words that touch the heart and the soul….

8. Beautiful version of solitary. Thank you:)

9. suellen1234 says:

Your words always warm my heart. Thanks!

10. Kaval says:

awesome pics!

I always enjoy reading your thoughts. Your writing is so inspiring. Beautiful pics, especially the sunset one. :)

12. beautiful =) especially like the first photo – the colours =)

13. Children have a way of changing everything – for the better. Always love those shots of your boy.
    Great post, IT. :-) Thank for the intimate, wonderful look into your life. :-). G

14. danajoward says:

You share such elegantly well written posts and amazing photos. I admire that you take Solitary walks regularly…I wish I could, but business crowds in. I Thank you very much for sharing; Thank you too for the pingback. Have a wonderful week ;)

15. Angelia Sims says:

Such a poignant and beautiful story. I love journeys that end facing the sun. Wonderful images. God bless.

Wonderful post. Have a great week :)

17. rommel says:

You never fail to expand a word into its deepest meaning, IT. As if none can ever do the way you blog.

18. scrapydo says:

Wow, you took my breath away again. This is such a wonderful explanation of solitary. You have come a long way in life and look where you are today. I also had the opportunity to have a real soul mate in my late husband. I still have a wonderful son who is still my child at 30! Her respects me and I love him dearly. Glad I still have him in my life.

You’ve expressed solitary beautifully and eloquently, IT. Thank you for sharing you story and thoughts, it’s inspiring. Have a wonderful week!

Yes! sometimes we do need to pull back and give ourselves time to think, regroup, then we’re ready for more! Good piece!

21. TBM says:

A very moving post.

As always GREAT, GREAT photos. Love the one with the guy looking out at the horizon, the sunset and the water. Well done. Wanted to let you know that you are so awesome that I have nominated you for the Addictive Blog Award so if you’d like to check it out, come on by :)

23. Lovely words,lovely shots x

24. Indira says:

Your version of solitary is good.“I am home. I am at peace. I am happy.” very true.

25. Cheryl says:

Solitary times, walks in this hectic world are rare and renewing. Being alone with nature, early mornings with a thermos of coffee, sitting at the end of the dock feed my soul. Beautifully said, as always, Mr. B.

• Thanks Cheryl. I share your version of calming, serene solitary moments. It’s nice to wake up in the morning with everything quiet as you watch the sun rising , sipping a freshly brewed coffee. Beautiful moments of finding self.

26. One can’t help but get a feeling of tranquility in your solitary photo’s.
    Inspiring words accompany them.
    Blessings …
    Isadora

27. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Solitary « Ink Splat Photography

28. Sarah says:

What a heartwarming entry! I love the photos too! Have a nice week ahead of you. :)

- Sarah :)

29. cuhullen says:

While I very much enjoy your photographs I find myself enjoying the literary part of your posts just as much. Great talent is evident in both.

• Thanks Bro. It’s like an outlet for me to express the things that I am not too vocal about. Honestly, I’m a fan of my blogger friends who are gifted with giving life to words in writting, such as you. I didn’t really write seriously until beginning of last year. I guess I needed it at the moment when I was facing some hardship in my life.

30. Gracie says:

These are all amazing photos.

31. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Solitary « Mike Hardisty Photography

32. aRVee says:

Wonderful post like always. I love the shots especially the 3rd one… Stay blessed my friend! :)

33. lulu says:

It’s a shame many don’t learn to enjoy solitary as it can be a real gift.

• Thanks Lulu. I guess it takes for someone to be in a certain situation to start realizing how priceless “solitary” is when it comes to finding answers and finding ourselves.

34. lomoherz says:

Love the colours! Especially of the first one…

You always pull at my heartstrings. I can never walk past one of your posts and I am never disappointed. Solitary very often suits me fine, but like you I can appreciate it because I have the luxury of someone who’s always there for me.

36. Spiritual World Traveler says:

Beautiful as always!!’

Thank you for another warm and heartfelt post, Island T. I love your “wet concrete” photo…beautiful solitary moment.
    To answer your question I answer with this: Are we truly walking in solitude? The Divine always there…guiding…never intruding…simply part of us we hardly realize it.
    Blessings to you…

38. Barb says:

While all of your photos are beautiful, the one of our wife is so intriguing and somehow tell a story that we know we’re dropping in and out of. Uniquely interesting.

39. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Solitary Duck ‘n go seek « patriciaddrury

40. In this new world of crowds and cities it’s very relaxing to spend some time alone! I especially love to walk by the beach when it’s deserted. Great post!

41. What a wonderful post!!

When we give it all up to God and realize he is in control truly amazing things happen :)

Have a very blessed week my friend!

• Thanks Misty. God is amazing. When things are tough and seems unbearable, he makes it possible and bearable. He was there when everyone else seem to disappear when trials comes.

42. dearrosie says:

It’s good to remember that there’s nothing wrong with us if we want to take a walk just with ourselves. We need that solitary time for reflection as you explained so beautifully.

I love your photo with the wet concrete and the rising sun. Thank you for explaining how you took it.

• Thanks my friend. I know now that everytime life gets tough and I needed much soul-searching, solitary walks is a must. It is a way to listen to our heart’s cry and our God’s saying, “You did your best, now let me do the rest.” That scene with the sunrise was a very peaceful 30 minute walk that I badly needed. Have a blessed day my friend.

I can’t believe I’ve be AWOL this long… time does fly. :-)