Mine Are These Moments

What I Thought Was Mine

I now realize that everything I think I own are just temporary. There was a time when I thought I can own things but life gave me an important lesson that I won’t forget. That in an instant, whatever I think I have can be taken away from me. That everything around me is transient. That even the very existence I have now has an end that only God knows when. I do know that mine are the moments I am experiencing. And mine are the memories it had created for as long as my brain stays sharp and functional. This is reality. This is life.

Mine Are These  Moments

Browsing through my photo archives, I found these images that were a reminder of my happy moments. Moments that made me laugh. Moments that made me appreciate even the smallest and simplest blessings. Moments that even made me cry but then they were tears of joy. Moments that were all mine to remember.

My son playing by the water fountain. One of our happiest and exciting trip was our first visit to Disney World. Seeing all the Disney characters were fun but capturing moments like this were the ones I treasured the most. He was about 3 years old when he yelled, “Goofy, Goofy, come here,” while watching a parade. He was actually calling a Pluto mascot. He gave a sad face when Pluto missed his spot.

The first time he fed a horse at Bayou Wildlife, he was jumping in excitement. A year later, when we came back to the same place he rode a horse and looked so thrilled. So was I.

Playing by the beach. Making sand castles and dreams. My son surfed the waves for the first time with his yellow body board. He fell so many times but kept on going. He taught me something invaluable that morning. That I should not give up on my dreams and what makes me feel alive. That falling is but temporary. That I can rise up with each fall, better than ever.

These are just a few of my cherished possessions. They warm my heart when I go back to memory bliss.  Thank you for being a part of this week’s photo challenge called “Mine.”  I hope they made you smile and help you remember the memories that will always be a part of you.

All images taken with my iPhone camera with camera + app. Have fun creating the most beautiful images that is all uniquely “yours.”

This entry was posted in family, kids, Personal, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Mine Are These Moments

1. I really like your interpretation! Actually, I think yours may be the only blog I’ve read that approached the theme in a non-material manner.
    Excellent, excellent post. I particularly like the pic of your son’s unabashed joy in the Disney fountain! :)

• Thanks my friend. The longer I blog, the more I realized it is an extension of me and how my life’s journey had been. I feel blessed to realize that my real treasures are the simple things in life and most of them, I already have. Sometimes it’s easy to be tempted with the flashy material nice stuff but we both know the feeling of euphoria is but fleeting.

• SmallHouseBigGarden says:

oh, for sure!! I mean, not that I don’t like nice things (of good quality) but they’re ultimately unimportant..That tornado we had here in Vero that just missed my mother’s place? all kinds of material goods strewn ALL over!! Gone in less than a minute!

2. Colline says:

Nothing can take away the memories of what you have experienced and the happiness that is yours.

3. cassbee says:

I struggled with trying to come up with something that is mine, and I really like your interpretation, because it’s true — things can be taken away in an instant. (Which I thought was caught pretty well by the ostrich(?) in the first picture! Very cute.) I love following your blog, and thanks for sharing. — Cassandra

• Thank you Cassandra. That is music to my ears. Yes, I do notice now, the ostrich does look like it’s saying, “These are all mine…mine…mine.” We had a fun time that day.

4. Indira says:

‘I do know that mine are the moments I am experiencing. And mine are the memories it had created for as long as my brain stays sharp and functional. ‘ I’m quoting you, very nice interpretation, all pics are fabulous.

Great challenge and smiles. I was surprised that they were taken with iPhone. It’s so beautiful.

• Thank you. The photos and their apps are the main reason I kept my iPhone. I heard the 4s and 5 even has better, clearer images and yes, more apps. Hmm…now that got me thinking if I upgrade my 4. I am happy with my realiable 4 though.

6. lulu says:

You know, everything in life is temporary and that’s why it’s so important to enjoy each and every moment.

7. Loved the pictures and and blog! Thanks for checking out my blog and for the follow, I look forward to following your blogs as well!
    James

• Thanks James. I personally find it enriching to find another blog with so much inspiring thoughts to offer. It is a joy to discover your side of the world. All blessings to you and your family.

8. Such a nice interpretation of the challenge. So true the happiness we get from our memories that are due to the joy we see our children experience. ~ Kat

Thank you for sharing your joyful moments and precious photos! Have a great weekend!

What beautiful photos and all from your iphone? Wow!! I tried the Pic Collage and love it…now I will check into the camera + app.
    I loved your precious moments…so true that all is temporary and fleeting.
    Thanks!

11. How cool, such happy pics. Each one showcases a rich, sensory experience, as if we were there. Thank you for sharing your slice of happy!

12. bebs1 says:

You write so well I truly enjoyed reading it.

13. Freedomborn says:

Hi island traveler, I loved the photoes you shared as you looked back, like you I also learned that things are only Temporary , with having little wealth in my life I became a hoarder without really realising it but God lovingly showed me and like you said everything in this world is only Temporary, we need to focus on what is eternal, to store up Treasure in Heavenly places.

Mark 8:35-37 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Thank you dear friend, you have much Treasure in your outpouring of Love and acceptance to many, may you continue to be greatly blessed in doing so.

I guess island traveler you couldn’t answer the riddle on my Blog in my answer to one of your comments, but that’s ok your only young…and that is a clue!

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

• Love every words of faith and joy. Thank you Anne. I value each sharing, each thought , each words of light and hope. As for being young…Hmmm…not to young but I do accept the fact that I am still “clueless” to a lot of things. Everyday, I learn new things and new ways to face life and all its challenges. God bless you and Ron.

i think that you have a more than interesting past life…but then the past should be left in the past. The future is yet to comr..but TODAY, that is here and now. So live everyday as if it were your last, enjoy your life and praise The Lord

These are such lovely happy photos. I love the horse feeding pic. Your son looks so proud of himself. :)

16. Actually your images bring up the question of who “possesses” what and whom and when and how. But no matter, it’s really our perception. Nicely captured.

17. Cara Olsen says:

Fabulous post . . . reading this everyday wouldn’t be a bad idea.

You are absolutely right: Memories and moments — these are ours to have forever. And I don’t know what it is — something innate in many of us, I suppose — but I often forget that all these worldly possessions I “need” will all to turn to dust one day. In the moment I am so sure things will benefit me, make me happy, but their joy is fleeting, bringing no lasting happiness to my life. Instead, we should focus on turning our desires outward, replacing things for moments.

~ Cara

• Thank Cara. I learned early that current material happiness are but fleeting. Yes, they gave us a sense of joy but then tomorrow, the feeling of elation may no longer be there. It is still great to treat ourselves and even pamper our simple joys but it is also good to invest on those that will make us smile years from now.

18. These pictures of your son are absolutely precious. Nothing makes time faster than seeing your child grow and going back and seeing past photos. The time passes so quickly. You captured some beautiful images.

19. dearrosie says:

I love the photo of your son jumping in the water at Disney.
    and I love what he taught you:
    “that I should not give up on my dreams and what makes me feel alive. That falling is but temporary. That I can rise up with each fall, better than ever.”

He’s a smart kid. There’s much wisdom in his advice.

• Thanks my friend. He is smart…and honestly, smarter than me. I can’t even begin to imagine how he made his Legos cause just looking at it, I’m already dizzy. I guess kids are the better, much improve version of us.

Great take on this photo challenge. I love the picture of your son drawing in the sand. Nice memory you captured.

21. Patti Kuche says:

As you so well say with yet another series of beautiful shots and memories, they can’t take that away from you, yours to keep and share forever!

I love your mine moments. ;-)

23. Arindam says:

I too believe nothing is permanent in this world except our memories. So even though some memories hurts, still I preserve and value them as they are beautiful. I loved that picture of son in Disney land. It’s wonderful that you could capture such a beautiful and precious moment. That’s why I always feel technology is the best thing, if we use it properly. Beautiful post bro!

• Thanks Bro. Yes, technology is good when we use them properly. I wished back then my parents had a better way to capture moments so I can look at them now and remember how magical my childhood days had been. Now I try my best not to miss any milestone of my son’s growth and development. When he gets older, he will have the chance to relive each fun memory.

24. Cheryl says:

Usually I can choose a favourite or two from your published array of photos … not this time, Mr. B … love them ALL!