Small Boy With Big Dreams

The Boy Who Had Big Dreams

My son will turn 7 this week. Can’t believe how much he has grown. Not long ago, he was small enough to lay on my shoulder as I cradled him to sleep. Now, he out runs me when we practice his soccer game. Just yesterday, I was gasping for air as we ran back and forth the field while he ran as fast as the wind, laughing and looking all so happy every time he scored.

Growing up and assuming adult roles made me forget that everything around can be a magical, fun and happy playground. That there’s adventure in every corner. A surprise in every turn. All I need is to open my eyes and heart for them. All I need is to believe and have faith in myself. Something I learned from my son. Something we all learned from our children once we allow ourselves to enter their amazing world called “Childhood.”

We met a “big” spider last Halloween at the Galleria.

My little boy is growing up fast and with each stage of his growth, he shares with me his “Big Dreams” year after year. Dreams that are fun, full of imagination, exciting, adventurous, so full of optimism, hope and unwavering faith. Some of this dreams are magical, that I once also believed without a doubt when I was his age. Dreams that made me smile with pure happiness. Dreams that made everything larger than life. It’s like being in another world, somewhat similar to the Disney movies I saw as a child. The same smile I see in him today and I’m grateful each day that I get to relive those moments through him.

Little kid in a big city. Our first Vegas trip. I’m glad he was too small to remember. Much as we had fun there, it’s not really a place for kids. My eyes got big from horror not because it was also Halloween time but because of the obscene pictures scattered all over the very side-walk we were walking on.

This year my wife and I asked our son what he wants for his birthday. He replied repeatedly, “Mom, dad, I want to go to Legoland.” So, last Summer we did an advance celebration to grant his birthday wish. It was a “big,” special thing for him. It was his childhood big dream. As a parent, nothing makes me more happy than seeing him so happy and excited. Plus, me and my wife also had a great time discovering the fun world of Legos.

A Big Boy In Miniland USA

One of the few places on Earth were a boy can be as tall as the famous buildings and places in America. Welcome to Miniland USA of Legoland, Florida.

We felt like we were giants as we entered the Miniland USA. The architectural details of the cities, its buildings and attractions were amazing. Every unique details were carefully layered and glued brick by brick. It seemed unbelievable but I guess nothing is impossible when people put their hearts and imagination on the things they want to create.

It felt good to see the golden gate bridge all over again. It brought back lots of great memories.

New York seems so small and reachable. The last time I remember going there, I felt like a speck of dust among the gigantic buildings and the millions of people who were constantly on the move.Β Everything seemsΒ big at the “Big Apple.”

Even Vegas was within reach. It was fun remembering the places we’d been to. This time they don’t look so huge at all.

It feels good to know that we can be bigger than the things we normally consider big, intimidating, almost unreachable. It is a great to feel big. That we can do anything, be anything for as long as we work hard for it. That we can reach for the biggest, highest dream there is out there in the real world.

Thank you for sharing your day with me. I hope you enjoyed my version of this week’s photo challenge called “Big.” Knowing you are there week after week, sharing my photo challenges inspires me to reach for my “big dreams” on day at a time.Β I wish you all a beautiful and blessed day.

Related articles

This entry was posted in family, Inspiration, kids, Life, Love, parenting, photography, Post A Week, Travels, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to Small Boy With Big Dreams

Happy birthday to your son, and congratulations to you and your wife for instilling in your son the idea that no goal or challenge is too big.

2. scrapydo says:

It is wonderful to see children grow. I have only one child and we enjoyed every moment of having him as our own. Today he is a tall (nearly 2m tall) young man and I still adore him.

Hope you share a wonderfully happy seventh birthday with your son, and many more too. We took ours to this same park when he was just a year or two older and he loved it (so did we!). Lego used to rule in our home too.

4. danajoward says:

Wonderful post. I love how you chose your son to represent “Big”. They do grow up fast. His smile says a lot about you and your wife. You include him in decisions, like his Birthday (Happy Birthday to your son, by the way). At Legoland you can see that he was remembering the real places that he has been. Great capture of BIG :) Than you for sharing and for sharing your son with us! ;)

Great post and I really love the photo of you son taken in 2008 :-)

They grow up before we know it. Your son is adorable!
    It’s great you are able to share so much time with him while he is growing up.

Nice post. Oure children are always big because of our love. :)

8. What a great “big” gallery!!

9. Great pictures! We went to the new Legoland in Atlanta, GA this summer, but the Florida one looks much bigger! What fun for a big boy (and the ‘big Mom and Dad kids’ too! )!!! :)

It’s been a delight to watch your soon grow an learn on this blog and I look forward to many more occasions to celebrate his joyful spirit. :-)
    As always, a beautiful post… Time does fly as our little babies become kids, then teens, and finally adults… Of course, they will always be “our kids.” :-)

“Happy Birthday to your son! :-)
    Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.β˜…β˜….β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ
    ΒΈΒΈ.β€’*Β¨*β€’β–‘Hβ–‘Aβ–‘Pβ–‘Pβ–‘Yβ–‘(Β―`’‒.ΒΈ *β™₯β™₯β™₯* ΒΈ.‒’´¯) β–‘Bβ–‘Iβ–‘Rβ–‘ Tβ–‘Hβ–‘Dβ–‘Aβ–‘Yβ–‘ (Β―`’‒.ΒΈ*β™₯β™₯β™₯*ΒΈ.‒’´¯) Hope you enjoy YOUR special day!
    β•‘β•šβ•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•¦β•— β•‘β•šβ•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•¦β•— β•‘β•šβ•¦β•¦β•β•£β•šβ•£β•šβ•¦β•β• β•β•¦β•¦β•—
    ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║╬║║╔╣╔╣║║╬║╬║║║
    β•šβ•©β•©β•©β•£β•”β•£β•”β•©β•—β•‘ β•šβ•©β•©β•©β•£β•”β•£β•”β•©β•—β•‘ β•šβ•β•©β•©β•β•šβ•β•©β•©β•©β•β•©β•©β•©β•—β•‘
    ΒΈ.β€’*Β¨*β€’.β™ͺβ™«β™«β™ͺHappy Birthday .β™ͺβ™«β€’*Β¨*β€’.ΒΈΒΈ β™₯Happy Birthday to youuuuu β™ͺβ™«β€’*Β¨*β€’.ΒΈ.β€’*Β¨*β€’β™«
    Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.β˜…β˜….β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ”

11. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: BIG… | Mirth and Motivation

12. Colline says:

Children are so precious. I am sure you have heard this, but enjoy his young years. My daughter is now 12 and I cannot believe how quickly the time has gone by.

13. We think we are teaching our children, but really they teach us so much. Seeing the world through a child’s eyes is truly magical. I miss that part of my life now my children are grown and moved on… but I still have the memories.. I am so glad you still have it and appreciate it so much. C

14. harpersfarm says:

Time with our children goes by way too fast. Wishing your son the happiest of birthdays.

15. Donna says:

Happy birthday to your son!

16. Happy birthday to your son, Legoland looked very cool! I also liked the big spider picture. It looks like you all had a great trip!
    I really liked your quote “It is a great to feel big. That we can do anything, be anything for as long as we work hard for it. That we can reach for the biggest, highest dream there is out there in the real world.” Thanks for the post, hope you are having a great week!

17. rutheh says:

A happy post and best wishes for a wonderful birthday celebration and the beginning of a new year! Enjoyed all the photographs and your son’s exuberant smile.

18. Happy birthday to your son! My kids range from 9 to almost 8 to 6 and I am loving my time with them in all of their stages and ages so very much. Blessings!

19. LubbyGirl says:

Funny…I’ve only been blogging since the end of March, but I’m positive I’ve watched your son grow!! The back of his little head gets cuter with every post. This was a great interpretation of the challenge. I haven’t tried it yet…looking around for inspiration!

20. Love your pictures and thoughts on Legoland. We have one in the UK too and I love the mini lego world!

21. arlene1027 says:

I love this, a very warm account of a loving dad to his little boy! Love your pics.

22. Aian Ramos says:

Hey, happy birthday to your son and congratulations, too! He seemed like a well-rounded boy, I’m pretty sure that’s you and your wife’s doing, hehe! God bless! MOre love and happiness for the family!

• We have our moments of ups and downs but we try our best to give him the happiest childhood that we could give. Least I could do for giving me and his mom a reason to celebrate each day with happiness, hope , excitement and anticipation. Thank you.

23. Happy Birthday to your handsome young man. I love the photo of him standing in a wide straddle just taking it all in.

24. Indira says:

Happy Birthday to your son. Great picture. Your post justified the theme.

25. Cheryl says:

My birthday wish for your son is that he hangs onto that child’s spark and innocence for his entire life.

26. I enjoy that we are watching your family grow. Of course, we grow as our loved ones do. It’s a never ending cycle of life lessons. Thanks again for sharing your view of your family and the world with us.

I hope that your son never loses his Big dreams. Enjoy your week :)

28. janna hill says:

Your son is adorable. You’ve taken the traditional ‘baby book’ to a whole new level in journaling his growth.

• Thanks Janna. One day, I would like to think that it is one of the priceless gifts I could give him. A memory of his childhood that I may no longer remember when I’m old and gray and my brain neuron starts to fade.

29. Sabina Brave says:

Children are one of the biggest blessingsin life. It’s happy time of purity, and uncovering the world.
    Love and blessings to you :)

30. TBM says:

Wonderful post. I wish him many happy birthdays. Legoland looks cool!

31. Cara Olsen says:

Though I have yet to experience parenting, I worked as a full-time nanny for about 5 years, with the same family. I raised a little girl from 18 mo. to 5 years, and I would say that, while she still honored her mom as number one — and very well should have — helping to instill values and morals in her was one of the most gratifying experiences I’ve ever had. To this day, I know that the effect I had on her, shaped her, developed her, and formed her into the young human she is now, and the adult she will become.

Happy, happy birthday to your adorable son, and an equally huge congrats to giving him parents both loving and kind.

Blessings,

Cara

• Thanks Cara. You gave her the most priceless gift when you wrote, “helping to instill values and morals in her was one of the most gratifying experiences I’ve ever had.” These is all our roles to all the kids in our lives who need all the right and positive guidance that they can get. My parents instilled in me the right values and now it is my turn. Kind of a pay forward thing , right?

32. I love your take on the challenge: BIG. So cool to feature your little kid! Enjoy his birthday!

Congratulations and happy birthday to your son. :) My granddaughter, Sienna turned 7 last weekend. It’s a lovely age.

34. bebs1 says:

Happy birthday to your son. Time flies we say and it is true. I feel it flies faster as we get older.

• That’s right Bebs. It does double in speed as we get older. Sometimes that very thought saddens me. Why does everything that is beautiful have to go in a fast mode? Why can’t we just slow it down, even freeze it for a moment? Life….Thanks.

Thank you so much for sharing your joy, IT! Happy birthday to your son. He is growing fast…

36. I am so impressed with your devotion to your son. He is certain to grow up following his heart and his dreams.

• Thank you. He is my pride and joy. As my wife said, “He is our precious, priceless treasure in this world.” We can’t imagine a life without his laughter and smiles, hugs and kisses and the many magical moments he gave us.” God is good!

37. bebs1 says:

I nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award because you truly deserve it. Thank you for such a beautiful inspirational blog.

HaPpY bIrThDaY to your little fella!!! Awesome and fantastic share about your trip to Lego Land. Your guys need to awarded the family of the year…seriously. Building a legacy of love is tough work but you all make it look soooo easy…wishing your son many more wonderful birthdays and all the best to all of you! :)

39. Imelda says:

They do grow up fast, don’t they? My eldest son is as old as yours, and he is quite happy to note that he is already a little over my shoulder (he has a very small mother, you see?) Sometimes, I dread the time when he will leave home to pursue his own dreams. But isn’t that what we, as parents, wish for our children – to have strong wings so they can fly on their own. Still, it is sad and bittersweet.

• That is beautiful Imelda. Yes, we do try our best to give them strong wings to fly one day although I don’t know what I will do when that happens. I saw how I broke my parents heart when I chose to fly when it was time. I saw the sadness in their eyes but one day, I hope to fly back home when destiny wills it. This is the cycle of life. I guess what matters is we make the most of what we have now and appreciate every little precious moments for as long as we can. Best wishes to your family.

40. wow; this one almost slipped past, but i found it! your son is so precious, and he surely basks in his father’s doting attention! you have a beautiful family! z

• Thanks Z. My days had been swamped with work lately that I feel bad not spending more time with my growing boy. But that’s parenthood, we have to balance everything. I hope and pray that we will all have as much “big happy dreams and memories” with our family for as long as we can.

41. Children… they grow so fast! And sometimes I miss my childhood since it was when I had the biggest dreams and the most creative mind of all… It’s a beautiful, blissful, blessed period of life!

• Thanks my friend. Enjoy the gifts of your youth. Make fun, happy memories. Enjoy student life. Those exams are but a test but the most important thing is you create the happiest memories with friends, classmates and most of all your family. One day, we all become adults and the world mostly change. As the say, “Live, love, laugh,” for as much as you can.

42. dearrosie says:

Many HAPPY birthday wishes to your son. 7 already! What a sweet happy young man. I’m so sorry I’m late – I’m not able to access a computer all day at work so don’t have many hours for blogging. You’re doing the best thing by enjoying each day with him.

• Thanks Dearrosie. I am so late myself. Way, way late. Been working more shifts lately. Then household stuff. But we all eventually catch up on one of our passions, blogging of course. Yes, he is now 7 and trying to act more mature, both cute and funny at the same time.

43. Angelia Sims says:

That mini Lego city is the coolest thing ever! Amazing stuff. Kids sure grow up fast. My youngest step-daughter is six. I almost cried when she lost her first tooth (first of the last).

• That is so sweet and priceless. The first tooth my son lost, we kept it in a mini treasure chest the school nurse gave him. I looked at the treasure chest with the tooth in it, made a mental photograph and stored in the treasure chest within my heart. This is what we parents do, making priceless memories last forever. Thank you Angelia.

44. lifeofaministermom says:

I love this ”Much as we enjoy seeing our kids grow up so quickly, we need to keep their childhood spark and innocence for as long as we can.” Your son is and will continue to be blessed with amazing opportunities and memories that will last a lifetime! You and your wife are wonderful parents, making his childhood so incredibly special, and I know that this birthday and all those to come, will be special celebrations of his precious life!

God bless you all!
    Patricia

• Thanks Patricia. Everyday is a celebration when we are around the people that brings a spark to our life. They are our reason for smiling. I hope to treasure as much of his childhood. Our kids will only be kids once. Let us make sure it’s the most amazing one there is. God bless you and your family.

45. Michael T. says:

I love your blog. I also have a son who is seven and one who is six. There is such a sense of wonder and magic in these ages that you capture beautifully in your writing and your photography. Beautiful stuff.