The Best Smile

The best smile is the one that lights up your life and the world around you.

A few days ago, my wife started talking about our past romance and courtship. She asked me, “What made you choose me?” I answered back, “Because you are the most beautiful girl in school.” We both smiled, then laughed. Then I asked her, “What about you?” She started by telling me how her parents thought it was strange that all of a sudden she started dating. They asked her what is it that she saw in me that she didn’t see with her earlier admirers . She answered my question by saying, “I told them you were simple and kind.” I looked at her, smiled and said, “Oh, I thought it was because I was irresistible.” As we both laughed, I reflected on what she said and told myself, “I’m so lucky that she chose me with her heart.”

I came from work this morning just physically and mentally tired. It was one of those 12 hour night shift work of dread. I barely put down my coffee mug when I had to take care of a critical, difficult patient. The crazy domino effect carried on till I clocked out. We call it “Full Moon” even if it’s not an actual full moon. It’s a night when crazy things happen.  Unfortunately, it’s not the fun kind but rather something that drains you out of energy and optimism. Something that makes you say, “Can’t wait for this to be over and just go home.”

On my way to the parking lot, my wife called and said, “Just wait for me and our son outside the house.” She then asked me, “How’s work?” I replied, “busy.”

As my wife and son approached the car, they both gave me a beautiful smile that glowed like sunshine. In an instant, all the tiredness and exhaustion I was feeling melted away. I somehow forgot the crazy 12 hours that just happened and simply moved on to the brand new day’s exciting surprise. My son kissed me goodbye before he got out the car and walked towards his classroom.

My reasons for smiling.

Everyday, we experience events that can wore us down or make us feel tired, sad, depressed, exhausted, even angry or upset but somehow, someone’s smile and loving, kind gestures soothes them away. Their smile made our hearts smile and when that happens we feel an overflowing joy and peace that inspire us to go through life.

My wife when she was about 2 years old. She and my son have a similar bright, happy and beautiful smile that gives color to my day.

A smile is a gift. A gift that brings inspiration to those who embrace it whole heartedly. It lights up every gray cloud and dark corners of our being. It help us reach for the brightest stars the we can find. It brings forth hope, calmness and healing. It lights up our life and the world around us in the most beautiful way. It is true when they say, “Smile and the whole world smiles with you.”

Before going to bed, I smiled happily knowing that at the end of the day, no matter how hard things may seem, I have the two most wonderful, generous people by my side to help me go through life’s challenges. Two people whose smile brings out the best in me.

This week’s Image of Life is titled “Smile.”

What are your reasons for smiling everyday? Whose smile lights up your world?

Thank you once again for sharing your day with me. May this post inspire you to embrace and see the beautiful images around you.

Today, discover the inspiring world of these blogger friends.

The Guat of  http://thewishfactor.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/weekly-image-of-life-october-magic/

Francine of  http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/blennerhassett-mansion-by-candlelight/

Cathy G of  http://cpgutierrez.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/october-magic-2/

Helen “Knittinggalore” of  http://citylifepicture.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/weekly-image-of-life-october-magic/

Deepa of  http://perceptionsofareluctanthomemaker.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/elephant-procession/

GB “GoBetween”  http://gobetweenflames.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/weekly-image-of-life-october-magic/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2012/10/17/weekly-image-of-life-october-magic/

Cynkingfeeling of  http://cynk.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/october-magic-walking-after-dark/

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget.

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to The Best Smile

1. shoes says:

Simply beautiful! It is the attitude you choose to embrace, the good you choose to focus on and the people you choose to make a part of your life that truly makes life. I am glad your life has such wonderful smiles on such sweet beautiful people. Smile.

2. cassbee says:

What a lovely family! Don’t ever lose that feeling…the one that makes you melt and forget about how complicated life can be. Simple is summed up in an embrace of smiles and kisses.

I have two nephews (I don’t have children of my own), and they absolutely light up my day. Their giggles are infectious, their hugs sincere, their attention mine. They make me feel completely different about life when I’m around them, and I love that. :)

3. all of your posts are special, but this one is exceptional! what a beautiful testimony to your wife and son; by sharing, you also reveal a huge slice of your beautiful and honest soul.
    great work! thanks to you, an amazing assortment of smiles is about to light up the wordpress world!
    lisa/z

• Thanks Z. This is the beauty of blogging. We get to share ourselves in a more personal way and people accept us for who we are without judgement. One of the many reasons to smile about.

4. Cafe says:

Hi! I think this is the first time I’ve actually seen your family’s faces in your photos! What beautiful smiles indeed and a wonderful post! :)

The person I am with also makes me smile. I’ve never been so happy before, I just feel so much joy and contentment being able sit beside him and hold his hand :)

Your wife and son’s smiles are beautiful…that must make YOU smile to even think about them. Have a great weekend.

6. scrapydo says:

I feel honored to read your “smile” day. It is Wonderful to read how you appreciate a smile although you are so very tired.

7. Imelda says:

I love the smiles here. What a happy post. Your family is beautiful. :-)

I hope you soon felt rested and ready to enjoy those lovely smiles when you woke up!

9. Indira says:

Thanks friend, your post made me smile today. Nice smiling photographs. Thanks for mentioning me. Smiling faces of your family and friends always dispels tiredness and grudge. Keep smiling, have a nice weekend.

• Thanks Indira.It is an honor and a joy to mention your post. They always celebrate life, family, of a rich culture that brings a smile to my day. Have a great weekend as well.

You are such an incurable romantic. I hope that when you’re both 90 and can’t see nor hear well anymore, you’ll still try to envision the enigmatic smiles!

11. bulldogsturf says:

Such smiles can do nothing more than place a big smile on my face…. if more people smiled at each other .. this world would just be such a better place… I love this post.. thank you…

• Bro, I totally agree, “if more people smiled at each other .. this world would just be such a better place.” A lot of us gets so tied up with the demands of the world that we forget the basic secrets of a happy heart. Smile is one of them.

You write beautifully how a heartfelt smile can make all the difference in how you’re feeling about your life. Thanks for this post. Wishing you and your family a wonderful weekend!

• Thanks AuntYuta. I wish you and your family all the wonderful blessings as well. Family and friends and the joy they bring into our lives are one of our main reasons for smiling, everyday as much as possible.

13. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Silhouette, Couples & Smiles « Canadiantravelbugs's Blog

14. I agree with bulldogsturf…smiles are important. And hey you can smile in any language and it can make someone’s day.
    Check out my post where I combine this theme and 2 others

• Love your post. It celebrates our reasons for smiling and for being happy. The shadow of the couple standing on the sand I can totally relate. Holding hands, watching the sea, sharing an endless love and many dreams. Priceless, right? Thanks.

• Yes a smile to me says a thousand things… I smile at people as I pass by no matter where I am. Each morning I pass by the street sweepers and most people treat them as invisible… all the more reason to smile at them since their job is just as important as anyone else. :) The guards all know me at school now because I always smile and say hello.
        The couple is me and hubby… he always makes me smile.

15. What a blessed and wonderful thing to come home to. I’m smiling back at you :)

• Thanks Georgette. Thanks for sharing your smile as well. If only everyone we meet smiles, this world will be one happier, kinder place to live. Let’s start the positive chain effect…

16. A smile is a powerful human quality to change behavior and mood. Your images reflect its effects on us, and you’ve created another record of your story. Thanks.

17. Pingback: WEEKLY IMAGE OF LIFE: SMILE « Francine In Retirement

Your photos have lighten up my life with a smile. Here is my entry. http://wp.me/p23TG1-1vy

Beautiful photos of your family make me smile! Your wife is beautiful and your son is such a good looking boy. Thank you for sharing your story, IT! Hope you get some rest and have fun this weekend!

I so enjoyed reading this. It’s wonderful to keep the romance alive in your relationship. :) Love the happy smiles. Beautiful photos. :)

21. cuhullen says:

Beautiful and uplifting post.

22. Pingback: Smile! « Comments from Cathy

23. Cathy G says:

What a wonderful topic! Thanks for sharing – here’s my entry!

• It is a beautiful entry Cathy that celebrates family , heritage and traditions that makes us unique and special. I can always feel your joys and excitement whenever you share your family and that is really beautiful. Always makes me smile.Thanks.

24. bebs1 says:

Your son looks very much like your wife in her 2-year old photo. Beautiful thoughts for everyday, lucky you!

• He does. People kept saying he looks like me after we cut his hair way short like mine but then when they see her child picture, they would say, “Oh, she actually looks like her.” Like pea in a pod mirror-like resemblance. Thanks Bebs.

25. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Smile « बंजारा

• Your post me me smile my friend. This words are so true,”Most genuine smile is that which reaches ones eyes.” Your sketches are beautiful and showed a pure, generous , loving soul. The eyes does shows what the heart feels. When the heart smiles, the eyes smile and twinkle. Have a blessed week with lots of wonderful smiles.

26. This is so very beautiful–I broke out into a big smile while reading it. My husband and children make me smile for sure, as do my closest friends. And as you know, joy is infectious!

27. starlight says:

i love all your photos.. beautiful smile.. by the way, here’s my entry for this week’s theme – smile… this post is dedicated to blondie, a very friendly and sweet dog..

thank you for the inspiration.

• Love your entry. Blondie does have the most adorable smile that lights up with joy. A smile we all wish to see after a hard day at work or when things gets gloomy. Beautiful post. Have a blessed day….with lots of happy smiles!

28. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Smile « The Wish Factor

Great pics. I’m sure you’re not surprised that I say this because I always love what you shoot, but nevertheless they’re still great. I especially love that collage.

Here’s my take on your Weekly Image of Life … hope you enjoy :)

30. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Smile « City Life Picture

31. This post is really a sweet one and the photos made me smile too. I can feel the love from where I’m sitting right now. It’s good to read things like this, of a father and husband who is very loving and proud of his family. I wish that someday, when I will have a family of my own, I’ll be admired, loved, and appreciated just like your wife. :)

32. Pingback: SMILE: Weekly Image of Life « Zeebra Designs & Destinations

33. dearrosie says:

I’m so glad you shared their smiling faces. What a beautiful family. What a sweet lovely post.

but I’m so sorry you work so hard IT. I respect and admire you for staying up all night helping a critical ill patient. The world needs dedicated people like yourself. Thank you!

• Thank you. I’d been in the E.D. for 9 years and somehow I don’t see myself venturing into other units. Destiny? Thanks again for the kind and generous comments. Have a blessed day and best wishes to your family.

34. Aian Ramos says:

I can’t help but smile and be happy for you, you have such a wonderful family! They’re more than enough reason to keep you smiling until you’re old and grey :) i think even after a life time!

Your son has the cutest smile… what a handsome young man. :-)

And your beautiful wife too… How could I forget her… gorgeous! :-)

37. Sabina Brave says:

I agree, that smile is a gift. Who knows, sometimes can even safe somebody’s life.

38. Arindam says:

How you approach life and find happiness and strength in those people who hold so much importance in your life is something wonderful. While I was going through your words and these beautiful happy pictures of your family members, believe me I had a smile on my face. I hope that’s what happiness is all about. A smile that comes from deep inside and appears on a human;s face transmits to the others face too. Thanks a lot bro for spreading that smile and happiness across the blog world.

• Thanks Bro. Your words always sounds comforting, honest and comes from the heart. I could also see from your post how you value family. In the end, what matters is that we are close to them and cherishing each smile they give into our lives.

39. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Smile (In Honor of My Father’s Grin…) « Life of a Minister Mom

40. lifeofaministermom says:

Your wife is GORGEOUS, and oh how your son looks like him!! These pictures go beyond words. A smile can change your mindset, attitude, direction, and even your life. You are blessed to be surrounded my smiles that our full of love and gratitude for the incredible husband anf father you are! I fought through some tears of joy with my post this week. I’ve done so in honor of my father and I pray it brings a smile to your face!!

God bless you and your family my friend!

Patricia

• I love your post about your dad. It is a celebration of how much you love and appreciate him. The joys, the memories, the priceless things you both shared through the highs and lows of life, all these were well celebrated in your post. I did a post about my parents too in the past and just like you, I can’t help but shed a few tears realizing how much they love me and my siblings and how they set aside their comforts so we all can have a better life. Thanks for sharing. God bless you and your family.

41. lifeofaministermom says:

HER!!! Your son looks like her!! Sorry for the typo. ;)

42. Angelia Sims says:

Sweet! Sweet! Sweet! What joy in these smiles and love. Lots of love here. :-)

43. hi, IT! you just made me SMILE at the beautiful photos of your loved ones … each smile on their faces showed so much warmth and love! you captured the beauty of their hearts, thank you for sharing them with us :)

and here is my part in your weekly image, i hope i can make your heart SMILE as well: http://alwaysbobswife.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/weekly-image-of-life-smile/

44. naomimgruer says:

Thanks so much for checking out my lifestyle blog Bmore Energy, https://bmoreenergy.wordpress.com. I love your beautiful photos and inspiring words!

45. naomimgruer says:

Thanks so much for checking out my lifestyle blog Bmore Enegy, https://bmoreenergy.wordpress.com. I love your beautiful photos and inspirational words!

46. choosemyway says:

Hi, I wanted to tell you I’ve nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. I enjoy your beautiful photos and inspiring words about your family. Take care :)