Texas Renaissance Festival Celebration

The Many Reasons To Celebrate

Everyday we celebrate events and people who means a lot to us. Birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, reunions, festivals, holidays, job promotions are just but a few of the many reasons for celebrating. There are celebrations brought about by love, inner joy, faith, heritage, culture, of answered prayers, of dreams fulfilled, of treasured family and friends. There are even celebrations of self for simply reaching a significant milestone in one’s life. Celebrating the very thought that we are here at the present, standing, alive, grateful, breathing freely, happily.

Today, I share with you a fun, lively, unique and colorful event called the Texas Renaissance Festival held every year in Plantersville, Texas .

A Royal Welcome At Texas Renaissance Festival

As my wife entered the royal gates, the court jester greeted her, “Welcome my lady. Would you like to have your photo taken?” My wife looking surprised, replied “Yes you can.” She then held my son by her side and made a beautiful, bright smile.

After the picture-taking, the jester said, “Lovely smile. You may now enter this place at your own risk. Have fun.” I thought it was funny until I started looking at some of the creatures of the forest.

My son pulled my shirt and said, “Look dad, a bow and arrow.” After several try outs, he looked at me and made an irresistible smile. He then asked me, “Can I have one please.” After getting an “okay” signal from his mom, we bought the bow he wanted. As I tied the arrow’s container around his belt he said, “Thank you” and gave me a hug.

I told him as we were walking, “You look like Robin Hood.” He answered back, “Who?” I tried to explain who was Robin Hood. He didn’t seem to get it yet so I added, “You also look like Green Arrow.” He made a happy grin and replied, “Oh, I know him. He is a superhero.”

People And Creatures At The Renaissance

From afar, they seemed scary but as we moved closer, we realized how fascinating they were. We met the soft-spoken and friendly Mr. Tree. He is part of the many supernatural beings that protects and takes care of the forest. On top of his head rest a nest with bird’s eggs.

Meet Mr. Bat. With huge wings and sharp teeth, he looks like someone from my nightmare as a kid.  Three things to do when you see him. You can run, keep still and pretend you are frozen or swallow your fear and asked him if you can take his picture. For a dollar, you get to go without a single scratch plus a very cool picture to show your friends. I don’t like to be bitten nor scratch so I gave him a dollar without a second thought.

We heard a strange sound near a tall tree. My son turned around and saw a baby dragon. He was trying to communicate to him. My son bravely approached him as we took his picture. For my son’s courage, he was given a red magic stone.

Dice for a price. If you loose, you get to meet one of the main characters of Halloween.

Yep, it’s the spooky, scary Mr. Death. Only he’s in a happy and festive mood. He let everyone took his picture and sent them on their way smiling. I shook my head in disbelief. He’s actually cool. I bet it was just that day since everyone was in a festive, jolly spirit. Tomorrow? I’ll probably run in the opposite direction. What do you think?

Meet Xena, warrior princess. She had the most generous smile around. No wonder she won so many battles. Her smile was her best weapon, not the sword that most of us were made to believe.

Creepy ghost. Move closer if you dare.

The fairies were into a serious discussion. I don’t have to move closer. I could hear the conversations from a good distance. They sounded pissed. Someone is in trouble.

It turned out they have the same boyfriend, the fairy prince. Hmm. That’s why he was hiding on top of a tree. He thought it was a great idea until one of the fairies grabbed a saw. Oh, oh!

“Watch the show and be amazed,” called this man in green wardrobe.

We were more than amazed as this man swallowed a long knife. A long, sharp knife! We were warned not to try this at home. Makes total sense.

One of the most entertaining part of our adventure was watching Adam, the fire whip cracker man. He delivered the funniest jokes as loud and effective as the sound of the whip breaking the sound barrier. His “I know’s” expression is a major punchline. Cool? I know, right?

We had to stop everything and watch the royalties pass the road. I even have to stop eating the delicious Turkey leg. For real? Yes, for real!

For those who didn’t follow instructions, this is the result. Meet the executioner. Ouch! For a dollar, you get to pose, smile and pretend someone is cutting your head. Crazy, right?

For the law-abiding citizens, they get treated to an awesome , gypsy dance. I can’t understand the lyrics but they sounded like a spell made into a song. No wonder half the audience was in a trance. The spell didn’t work on me. I heard my wife’s voice calling, “Why are you still standing there? Let’s go.” I guess her voice was more powerful than the gypsy’s spell.

We heard a loud, exciting cheer. The joust was about to start. My son ran towards the arena.

First, the kings and queens entered, then the maidens, then the brave knights. The crowd’s cheer got louder and louder, reaching a thunderous end as only one knight survived and emerged victorious.

We went home before sunset, trying to avoid the long traffic. We bought a pickle for snack before heading the exit. Overall, it was a well celebrated day of fun, discovery and wonder.

This week’s Image of Life is titled “Celebration.”

What do you wish to celebrate today?

Thank you once again for sharing your day with me. May this post inspire you to embrace and see the beautiful images around you.

Today, discover the world of these blogger friends.

CanadianTravelBugs of  https://canadiantravelbugs.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/weekly-photo-challenge-silhouette-couples-smiles/

Francine of  http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/weekly-image-of-life-smile/

Cathy of  http://cpgutierrez.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/smile/

Indira of  http://amaltaas.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/weekly-image-of-life-smile/

Elizabeth of  http://starlight427.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/weekly-image-of-life-smile/

The Guat of   http://thewishfactor.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/weekly-image-of-life-smile/

Helen “Knittinggalore” of   http://citylifepicture.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/weekly-image-of-life-smile/

Lisa/Z of  http://playamart.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/smile-weekly-image-of-life/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2012/10/23/weekly-image-of-life-smile-in-honor-of-my-fathers-grin/

April of http://alwaysbobswife.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/weekly-image-of-life-smile/

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget. Have a great time making wonderful memories.

All images taken using an iPhone 4 camera with Camera + App.

This entry was posted in Events, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to Texas Renaissance Festival Celebration

1. janna hill says:

Thank you for the colorful trip to The Renaissance Festival :)

2. bulldogsturf says:

what a wonderful post.. once again a lovely family outing … except this time I felt I was there with you… thank you…

What a fun place to visit, a touch scary though :-)

4. cobbies69 says:

excellent,, love your pictures ;)

5. Cara Olsen says:

This looks like an incredible experience, and I am only sorry that Southern California does not offer something similar! Those costumes, oh my! Some were terribly frightening and some lovely . . . if I was to choose I think I would certainly prefer to be a fairy princess rather than a ghoul or that scary “thing” holding the clown head. Your son is adorable, and looks as if he took in every little bit of the celebration. Thank you for sharing with us!

~ Cara

• Thanks Cara. My wife is into fairies and princess too.I think it a beautiful costume and aren’t all girls princesses at heart? They certainly are and they bring hope and sunshine every time.

6. scrapydo says:

Marvelous day, all those interesting characters! I think you need more than a day to go through everything on display. Thanks for sharing this event.

7. starlight says:

such a fun event.. if i’m there i’m sure i’ll have fun too.. love your story telling, and thank you so much for linking my blog to your post. you made me very happy. have a wonderful weekend too..

Thanks for sharing these great photos. It sounds as though you all had a wonderful time at the festival; your son, most of all. :)

How interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)

10. Oh my goodness …. for several summers I particpated in a Renaissance Festival in upstate New York. I sold my handmade jewelry under the old world name of Isadora of York. All of our selling stands had to be made in the old world style and without modern things showing: such as nails. We had to dress and speak in that style. This post brought back memories of a fun moment in my life. I am glad to see that the festival is still held and it is held in different places.
    Very nice post …..

• How I wish I have met you in person my lady..
      It was a fun and colorful festival. It is like no other. I wish I did this sooner but better late than never, right. Thanks Isadora.

11. Dear Island Traveler, what a wonderful event, and what a wonderful way to celebrate with your family! Thank you for taking us along on the journey!

• Thanks Naomi. We do need to celebrate each day with as much optimism, joy and adventure. I try collect in my journey happy moments to bring me comfort when days are a bit gray.

12. Indira says:

It was a very happy and enjoyable journey with you and your family to’ Texas Renaissance Festival ‘ . Thanks for sharing. There is so much to see, know and enjoy . Festivals are really great way to enjoy.

13. Indira says:

Wishing you a blessed, happy , healthy and peaceful weekend.

What a fun, enjoyable day! Thank you for sharing it with us! Looks like your son had a great time. I hope I can make to the festival before 11/25.

15. Scary celebration! But as always, love the photos with your son in them. He seems to get ‘involved’ and I love that. And so photogenic ;-).

This is a novel way to have celebrate the medieval era with characters the stuff of fantasy books. Your son’s imagination must have gone on overdrive that day!

Thanks for taking us with you! Fun! Fun! Fun!

• It did. So was the dad’s. Ha, ha,ha. We need to have adventures that make us feel like we are in a different world. I did feel like I was no longer in Texas when I entered its gates. Thanks.

What a great day out, Mr. B. Happy Halloween to you!
    You and your blog are one of the many things to celebrate in life. Awards are going around again. Feel free to ignore or file away in your busy life. http://restlessjo.wordpress.com/2012/10/27/six-word-saturday-39/

18. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Celebration « बंजारा

19. Indira says:

Hi friends, we recently celebrated Vijaya Dashmi in INDIA so here are some pics of our celebration .

20. Thanks for another peek into your family’s adventures.

What a grand time you all seem to have had! Thank you for sharing these celebrations :-)

22. Lisaman says:

What an unbelievable place…such fun for your son!!

23. bebs1 says:

There is a Renaissance Fair at our border with Wisconsin and I’ve always wanted to go. Your pictures and the fun you and your family inspires me to go next year. Thank you!

24. Valentina says:

I go to the Renaissance Fair every year in August when they come to my area. It is well done, faithful reenactments, original food of the era, costumes are reproduce well, the actors speak an old English (I like that) and all and all is an enjoyable summer event. I am sure your kid had fun.

Love all your lively photos on this one… Gorgeous! here’s to celebrating life! :-)

26. Sartenada says:

I am amazed! Thank You presented this happening.

27. It looks like a very interesting celebration. Thanks for bringing us with you through your pictures.

28. Omg I wish I could have been there too! It looks so amazing… and I’ve always been in love with these stuff that we can’t see anymore in modern times. Happy Halloween :)

29. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Celebration « The Wish Factor

As always you have some great pictures … the kind that make me wish I was there. I love that Xena Warrior Princess costume. That girl was rocking it. :) Anyhow here’s my link to your challenge. Good for anyone that likes reunions :)

I totally enjoyed your celebration…Texas style and perfect for the upcoming Halloween day! All the costumes looked great and you all had a great time…especially your son, so cute with his bow and arrow! I love it!! :)

32. Arindam says:

It’s wonderful that occasion like this give us a change to celebrate life with the people whom I love. Nothing feels great then to be able to spend time with family crating some happy memories and seeing their smiling faces. :) Great post bro.
    That picture of your son with the bow and arrow took me to my own childhood days. When I used to make them with the bamboo stick and a thread. :)

• Thanks Bro. I did the same when I was a kid. Life was simple then and just realized that even kids nowadays can have a similar simple toys and have a great time with it for as long as we share the enthusiasm with them.

33. This is so cool. I went a Renaissance fair once and it was great fun. I can’t figure out why I haven’t been back. It is a bit of a drive, but well worth it. Next year I’m going to join in on the celebration once again. And your pictures are spectacular.

34. john tugano says:

wow, you’ve already taken me there through your lively photos,Bro.That was a nice festival full of fun.I’m still amaze with the way you take your shots,whats your camera again,Bro?

• Thanks Bro. It’s an iPhone with a camera + app. I do have a nikon that has better zoom features but too bulky. The phone camera is way convenient. Photo shops goes a long way.

35. Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic series of photos… Made me jealous, and yet, inspired – this week, our kids school will have the book fair, and on Wednesday, they will go as Renaissance period characters (my KG4 will be a Jester and the 1st grader, a king!). Thanks for letting us share your family experiences… they’re priceless!

36. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Celebration. « 3rdculturechildren

37. And taking advantage of the opportunity, here’s the link for another image of celebration… it’s the Season to be happy!
    Thanks for the inspiration! :o

38. Cheryl says:

This Festival is so well done, Mr. B. You have a budding archery expert on your hands, I think!

39. You sound like such a lovely family! Loved the picture of your son with the bow and arrow! And man–jousting–so fun to watch!

40. Jo Bryant says:

Oh what fun. I wish we had more things like that here. I would be there in a shot.

41. Cathy G says:

Here’s my entry – a fun and surprising family celebration! :D

Thanks!

• Love how you celebrate your family. So much love and inspiring gratitude to your parents and the people who made you smile through the years. Thanks.

• Cathy G says:

Hi island traveler! I’m grateful that my family all gets along and like to have fun together! As you can see they can also be pretty funny! Have a great day! :)

• Your family’s close bonding is inspiring. I am close with my sisters and their family but I felt sad that a lot of my relatives drifted apart after being close with each other when we were younger. Sadly people change when they get older….as to why, I can’t really comprehend.

• Cathy G says:

Hello island traveler. Yes, there are so many times when people change and move away. I no longer live close to my family but I still enjoy their company when I visit. Life does toss things at us that can change our view point on so many things. I’m fortunate that my family had remained close over the years. Thanks again for a wonderful topic!

42. Vanessa T. says:

This looks like an awesome festival for the family! :D Lovely photos~

43. TBM says:

Looks like a wonderful family day out…I may have been scared at times.

44. clarbojahn says:

We’re celebrating a safe and warm house during the Frankenstorm. It is still raining and blowing a little. We are still recovering from the storm.

Thanks for this upbeat post about your fun day. I loved all the photos! :)
    I actually have two posts about a renaissance fair we went to but I don’t have a fancy phone to take photos. Am sorry we didn’t take more with my camera though. Would love to take my grandson next year! :)

45. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Celebration « City Life Picture

46. Pingback: A Village celebrates! | perceptionsofareluctanthomemaker

47. Dustytoes says:

What a great event – looks like fun and I enjoyed your excellent pics!

48. gelaikuting says:

Wew! Nice shots! This is such a wonderful post :) kudos!

49. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Celebration « Life of a Minister Mom

50. lifeofaministermom says:

Oh what fun you all had!!!! This week I’m smiling as I stick to my goals. I’m celebrating personal acheivement and I hope you’ll join me! http://lifeofaministermom.com/2012/10/31/weekly-image-of-life-celebration/

God Bless!
    Patricia

51. Barb says:

What a delightful place. You’re so good about taking us along on your family adventures. Thank you. Between the Bat and the Executioner, I think I’d be broke.

• Thanks Barb. It’s a joy to share these adventures. I think it’s beautiful if everyone shares something that is happy, fun, exciting, inspiring. One of the many reasons blogging has become a passion for me. Have a great weekend.

52. mariannegv says:

Beautiful post as always. That is the reason I nominated you for the “Beautiful Blogger Award”. Congratulations! Visit my site to pick up your award http://mariannegv.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/beautiful-blogger-award/
    Kind greetings,
    Marianne

53. Pingback: Spooky Celebration…Eat, Drink and be Scary! | Simply Charming

BOO! Happy Halloween!!
    A spooky celebration for you, Island T. !
    thanks!!!!!!

55. jakesprinter says:

Truly great fun celebration you have there my friend :)

56. dearrosie says:

I’ve never been to a Renaissance Faire. Thanks for the great photos – I can see your family had a wonderful day.

57. elleturner4 says:

Thanks for visiting my blog and the like. Fab photos :)

58. Pingback: Twenty months of blogging, and the 100,000-hits milestone is reached. Thank you! « 3rdculturechildren