How To Create A Lego Birthday Party

Creating An Awesome Star Wars Lego Birthday Party

Everyday we create something beautiful and amazing. Some creations we do out of love, like a personalized Lego cake my wife made for my son’s 7th birthday a few weeks ago, while others out of passion for something we believe in. Some create to express what inspires them. To convey their artistic, innermost thoughts and feelings thru colors, forms, words and sounds. Others create to play, have fun and just let their imagination run wild and free.

After my son’s birthday, I asked all the kids to hold together the single blue balloon. I told them, “Make a wish.” They were all laughing and making funny faces while doing so. Then I asked them, “Now, let go.” Everyone excitedly released the balloon and chased it. It went higher and higher until it looked like a speck of dust among the huge white clouds. Just before it disappeared into the vast Texan sky my son shouted, “Look guys, it’s a U.F.O.” I smiled as I took this picture knowing me and my wife created a happy memory for our son. A memory we will treasure and celebrate always.

The night before his birthday my son asked me, “Dad, what did you get me for my birthday?” I told him, “It’s a surprise.” A week ago using my iPhone camera, he took a picture of a Lego Ninjago model he wanted at Target. With a big grin he said, “This one has all the cool Ninja weapons and minifigures.” I replied, “But it says on the box, age 8-14.” Confidently he answered, “I can do it dad.” I smiled at him and said, “I know you could.”

After the party, it was time to open his gifts. The last gift was from me and his mom. My wife told him to close his eyes which he did. His mom placed the gift in front of him and said, “Okay, you can open your eyes now. Looking surprised he said, “Wow, you got me the Ninjago Ultra Sonic Raider!” He happily said, “Thank you,” gave us a hug and quickly started opening the box.

Two days after, as soon as I woke up from my sleep, he grabbed my hand and told me, “Close your eyes dad, I have a surprise for you.” Half asleep, I got out of bed, closed my eyes and hoped I won’t hit my head on the wall. When we reached the dining room, he excitedly told me, “Now, open your eyes.” When I opened my eyes, I saw his finished creation. I told him, “Oh, wow! Congratulations. Great job.” He then told me with a big, triumphant smile, “Told you!”

The Adventures Of  Sip

One day, after school my son came home all inspired to create a story book. His teacher encouraged his class to make a short story about everyday life after she read them a book titled Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner. My son decided to write about the daily adventures of Sip, a curious and imaginative 7-year old first grader. For his book cover, he drew Sip standing next to the yellow bus with his house behind him. Just like Skippyjon Jones, Sip looks like a cat but thinks like a dog. The only difference is that Sip talks, walks and dresses up like a person. Today, he brought home the original book he borrowed from the library. We will read it together tonight which would help me understand better his fascination for this book character.

Just before we went to bed last night, I asked him, “So, what did Sip do recently?” With all eagerness he said, “Sip went to Pet Smart with his parents. His mom wanted to buy a small fish tank at first but later decided to buy a bigger fish tank.” I continued to ask him, “Then what happened?” He replied, “Sip bought seven fishes. Four of them are guppies with colorful tails.”

I asked him further, “Than what happened next?” He answered, ” Sip helped his dad make a new house for the fishes. He assisted in putting the blue pebbles, the plants, the submarine, the big rock and the water for the fishes to swim.”

On top of the rock is the magic red stone the dragon gave him during the Renaissance Festival. It glows when we turn on the light. I want to believe it has magical powers. I guess in a way it does. It allowed me to create a wonderful moment with my son. A moment that will always be magical to me.

My son finished his story by saying, “Every morning Sip feeds the fishes and checks if there are baby fishes swimming in the tank. The End.”

When we wake up each day, we are given another chance to create something beautiful. Something that make us feel truly alive and bursting with happiness. Today, create something that celebrates you and the people around you. It doesn’t have to be grand or complex. Even the simplest of things when we put our heart in it gives the most impressive, lasting results.

This week’s Image of Life is titled “Create.”

What do hope to create today?

Thank you once again for sharing your day with me. May this post inspire you to see and celebrate the beautiful images around you.

Discover the inspiring world of these blogger friends.

Marianne of  http://eastofmalaga.net/2012/10/30/the-day-of-the-dead-a-celebration-of-life/

Francine of  http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/weekly-image-of-life-stories-and-photographs/

Imelda of  http://mywordwall.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/sunday-post-wonderful/

Cathy of  http://cpgutierrez.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/stories-photographs-and-the-challenge-to-write/

The Guat of  http://thewishfactor.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/weekly-image-of-life-stories-and-photographs/

Deepa of  http://perceptionsofareluctanthomemaker.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/exquisite-carvings-that-tell-stories-of-beauty-valour-and-life/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2012/11/07/weekly-image-of-life-stories-and-photographs/

Helen of  http://citylifepicture.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/weekly-image-of-life-stories-and-photographs/

d

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget.

Images taken using an iPhone 4 camera with Camera + App and Nikon 1 J1.

This entry was posted in kids, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

113 Responses to How To Create A Lego Birthday Party

1. Indira says:

Very very heart warming post. Loved all the pics. God bless you and your family.

2. A Nature Mom says:

Beautiful post! I especially love the story about Sip. And my son, too, desperately wants the Ninjago Super Sonic Raider, for the exact reasons your son stated. My brother wants to give it to my son for Christmas… he’s going to be so excited! And so proud of himself upon completion. :)

• Your son will love the Ninjago Super Sonic Raider. It has really cool features and all 5 Ninjas can ride in it. It’ll be a Christmas present he will cherish this holidays. Keep me updated. Thanks and best wishes to your family.

3. Marianne says:

What a wonderful birthday your son had and how clever is he to complete the Lego Ninjago model for 8-14 years of age – when he is only just 7 years old!

As a family you are creating very precious memories to cherish and remember for the rest of your lives and, after all, that is what life is all about.

Great post, my friend :)

Your son is bound to be creative with parents like his mum and you.

5. bulldogsturf says:

I love this blog… it is so heart warming and always gives one a good feeling… thank you…

It so seen, Mr. B., that your son is a few more steps to being an artist. :-) Proud parents are grinning.

Anyway, I so believe in what you said there that we should create something beautiful everyday we wake up. We just have to stop and stare to see it. I miss reading your work on a regular basis.

I’m gonna catch up…

• Thanks Bro. I know you’d been busy with work in the Middle East. I could see that your adventurous spirit continues and just as amazing . Your last post on “Dates” was beautiful and reminds me of the magical tales of the Arabian Nights. God bless you and your family.

I mean, it’s pretty obvious that your son is just a few more steps to being an artist.

8. scrapydo says:

I love reading all your life adventures they are so real and cool! Thanks for your lovely post. :)

9. Pingback: weekly image of life: create | bob's wife

10. our older son had that same passion to create with his buckets of lego when he was your son’s age, today he has turned to be an aircraft mechanic as he loves to use his hands to tinker, fix and create … and i praise God for him.

thank you for the inspiration this week … and i share my take on this also praising God for His graciousness: http://alwaysbobswife.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/weekly-image-of-life-create/

• Oh, wow! Your son chose a very awesome carreer. May be my son will go to a similar profesion one day. As parents, we just want them to be happy and be great in whatever the choose to embrace one day. God bless you and your family.

11. Sartenada says:

Very interesting post. My son and my grandson loved cars and played with them. Maybe it is due to it that I also love cars yet today. When I was kid, I whittled small boats from wood. Times have been changing and will change.

Nice photos.

• What an amazing childhood you had as well as your son and grandson. I grew up without Legos. My toys were what’s around me, like wood and sticks that turned into mini sail boats. Life was simpler then although it is never to late to share the magic on the old ways to the younger generation. Kids are kids regardless of time. Thanks.

12. I really love reading your posts, in part because my kids are about the same age (9, 8, and 6) and in part because your joy is so infectious. My middle son just turned 8, and he and his brother are also into LEGOS and writing stories. What struck me is something you said about magic, up above. I love how you can tell a child that something has magic powers and he will accept that without question. Would that we could seek and accept the magic demonstrated by humanity each and every day. Have a lovely day!

• Thank you my friend. I bet your world is full of fun, excitement and adventure with your 3 boys. Legos are timeless. I bit expensive but it makes our kids really be creative. Honestly, I don’t even know how my son did it. I don’t have the patience as he does or that ability to read the instructions down to the last piece of lego brick. It’s true, first graders are smarter…ha, ha, ha.

13. I love that you placed the “magic” red stone in the fish tank. This post is bursting with creativity! Thank you.

14. As you point out creativity has many dimensions; idea, process, act, product, and spiritual results. Truly, the imagination and execution give different inner and outer possibilities. You’ve done it again, reached inside yourself and produced a sealed memory for your family and you. Memories are always being made, but the depth can be variable. Someday your son will return to these stories that you share; I can only imagine his response. My favorite is the last one where he is alone in his thoughts.

• Thanks Sally. When he gets older, this blog is one of my priceless gifts to him. It will not only remind him of his childhood but it will show him how much he was and is loved by me and his mom. I wish back when I was a child, my parents had a way to share their experiences other than photos although I keep them in my memory for as long as I can.

You remind us once again with your post about the unabashed awe and wonder that is the domain of childhood. You and your wife are savoring every day bearing witness to your son’s unfolding. Not too long from now he’ll be a young man. Enjoy the child while he’s around. Too precious not to!

• Thanks. He is growing up fast. Just the other day my wife told me, “Don’t you know he and his friends are calling each other dudes and Bro?” I usually with bigger kids. So, yes, I’m savoring as much of his childhood as I can cause time flies so quickly.

16. Your son is so lucky to have such a loving and caring father as you :) Beautiful photos!

• I’m not perfect but I try my best to give him the best childhood he could have. I think I had a fun childhood, thanks to my amazing parents and I hope to give my son the same magic that I saw then. Thanks.

You had such a wonderful creative party for your son. :-)
    Happy Belated Birthday to your son! :-)
    ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜
    ¸¸.•*¨*•░H░A░P░P░Y░(¯`’•.¸ *♥♥♥* ¸.•’´¯) ░B░I░R░ T░H░D░A░Y░ (¯`’•.¸*♥♥♥*¸.•’´¯) Hope you enjoyed YOUR special day!
    ║╚╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗ ║╚╦═╦═╦═╦╦╗ ║╚╦╦═╣╚╣╚╦╝╠═╦╦╗
    ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║╬║║╔╣╔╣║║╬║╬║║║
    ╚╩╩╩╣╔╣╔╩╗║ ╚╩╩╩╣╔╣╔╩╗║ ╚═╩╩╝╚═╩╩╩═╩╩╩╗║
    ¸.•*¨*•.♪♫♫♪Happy Birthday .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ♥Happy Birthday to youuuuu ♪♫•*¨*•.¸.•*¨*•♫
    ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”

18. Darla Welchel says:

Thank you for sharing your son’s birthday and story writing experience with us. He is so adorable. He is like my grandsons; they too love legos, especially the Ninjago series. I loved the way his story mimicked his everyday life. A true writer writes from experiences. He is well on his way to being a great writer!
    Have a great day!
    P.S. I love the Skippy Jon books as well!

• Thanks Darla. He’s into writing lately. He’s also working on his spellings. Yesterday he wrote about the story about Thanksgiving based from what he learned in school. It’s a joy to see him being all creative.

19. Pingback: WEEKLY IMAGE OF LIFE: CREATE « Francine In Retirement

Love the memories you have created! Here is mine: http://wp.me/p23TG1-1Dm

Beautiful memories you have created for your family! Thank you for sharing it with us!

It’s a nice post and how creative. I felt the great dream on this post. Have a wonderful day.

23. gourmandchic says:

Absolutely loved reading this blog. It makes me want a son. I love my daughter to death but a boy would be fun to have too. Great job!

24. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life : Create | perceptionsofareluctanthomemaker

25. deepa says:

Belated birthday wishes to your son! It’s Diwali(one of the biggest festivals) here in India-

• Thank you. The world celebrates with you with excitement the beautiful and inspiring Diwali festival. Impressive Diyas made by you and your family. Intricate, artistic, colorful. It shows a heritage and tradition for rich and vibrant. The world needs to lit up, to feel hope and today, this festival just did that. Wonderful creation. Thanks and best wishes to you and your family.

26. munchow says:

This is such a life-affirmative post. Children give so much joy in life, don’t they? Thanks for sharing your life with us.

• Thanks my friend. Children makes this world a better place and gives meaning and purpose to parents. I am grateful each day that God blessed me with a family that gives me reasons to wake up and embrace life.

27. Pingback: Creative Alternatives for Home Security « Zeebra Designs & Destinations

28. what a great opportunity to showcase the just-finished home security window! (what does home security have to do with creativity? come see!) http://playamart.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/creative-alternatives-for-home-security/

• Love the security window. So much fun, color and yes, creativity. What inspired me the most is that it was a joint work with 2 of your amazing friends. Everytime you look at that painting, you will be reminded of the moments you shared a happy creative day with them. Thanks.

29. MikeP says:

Great story.. ‘SIP’ is truly special!!!

30. Cara Olsen says:

I can remember sitting in my room playing with my1000 piece lego set for HOURS! Your son is a bright child, obviously — working on a set that is suggested for an older child. I hope he had a wonderful birthday; this post was a wonderfully heartwarming way of immortalizing this moment for him.

~ Cara

So lovely to create such wonderful memories for your son. Very heartwarming post.

32. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Create « The Wish Factor

Great birthday cake made by your wife. Really amazing. I know how hard it is to get a party together and then bake a cake with all the excitement and planning going on so a great pat on the back to your wife for the awesome cake. And that fish tank is such a great idea. Good job dad.

Here’s my entry this week.

• Thanks. We were planning to buy a small bowl but decided to get a bigger tank instead. It’s a 5.5 gallons tank enough for 7 fishes. Now we are just waiting for the baby fishes. Seeing him and my wife all excited made me say, “I’m glad that I did it.” They are moments in life we can not place a price on.

34. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Create « masadiso79's Blog

35. masadiso79 says:

May your son always be healthy and strong. Here is my contribution to your challenge: http://goomfh.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/weekly-image-of-life-create/

36. Pingback: Introducing…. Weekly Photo Themes x4 « Canadiantravelbugs's Blog

37. I could have done so many different things for this theme… instead I wanted to share my new addition to the family. Come see her… she has created a new joyful atmosphere :)

38. Tammy says:

Oh Sip! This is a beautiful post and so joyful.

Another inspiring and joyous post. :) I love the birthday cake which your wife made. Your son is very good to complete that LEGO model so quickly. A very bright 7-yaer-old indeed. The memories which you and your precious family create together will stay with your son for ever. He must be such a happy little boy.

• I am not ashamed to admit that my son read better instructions than I do. First graders have something to teach us adults. I don’t know how he does it but I definitely can not build that myself. Thanks for sharing.

40. petit4chocolatier says:

Beautiful pictures : )

41. jakesprinter says:

Beautiful theme my friend ,Thanks for sharing you stunning idea this week :)

• Thanks Gemma. Love your creations. Beautiful, fun, exciting colors and designs that is irresistibly delightful. It’s a joy to see this at Etsy. I think they are artistic and shows a person who has a tremendous passion in what she does. Thanks my friend and have a great week!

42. I just love this post! It is so full of sweet images. I have a soft spot for the story about creating a fish tank with your son, because for many years, we kept a fish tank with the kids. What fun it was to choose the colors, and the fish, and when they had babies it was the most exciting of all. What a lucky boy your son is, to have such involved and patient and loving parents!

43. Judy says:

What awesome memories you are creating with your son! I loved your story and series of photos. They are beautiful and so tender. As a retired teacher, I delighted in seeing your son’s drawing and hearing him retell his story about Sip. He certainly is interested in books! Wonderful! I apologize for not being a better blog friend. Life got crazy!

• That’s okay Judy. I too can relate that “life got crazy.” It’s been busier than ever. Much as I want to catch up with my blog and with the comments, I’d been falling short. But I know I can finish them eventually. We have a patient and generous blogger friends and I’m always thankful for that. Thank you.

44. Imelda says:

Your son is very imaginative and persevering. :-)

45. Your post is so beautiful! I always come over looking for inspiration… thank you so much for sharing… and the way you tell your stories… about your son (I myself have a 7 year old, an October baby, so memories of his Halloween/Ninjago birthday party are so fresh…) Beautifully written post… especially the way you tied the stories of ‘creation’ together… the cake, the lego, the fishes… the story book… Adorable, and very heartfelt! Have a wonderful week!
    Greetings from our family, in La Paz! :o

• Thank you for sharing a generous comment. It’s always to read stories from another parent with similar experiences with their children. I wish I have more time to document my son’s everyday adventures. He just have tons of it. Unfortunately, I had to work too which pretty much takes most of my time. In America, I can not afford not to work but it does have its perks. Life, huh?

46. Fantastic pictures. Glad you found me, so that I could find you!

47. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Create « Life of a Minister Mom

48. lifeofaministermom says:

Love, love love this post! It made me want to jump up and find something to get the creativity flowing! My husband amd I made an effort, but something much more special was created!

God bless!

Patricia

• Thanks Patricia. Couples need to this often, ” I thought about the special quality time that had been created. No T.V., no phones, no baby in the mix. Just me and my love, enjoying each other’s company, and creating many special memories.” Family life is a joy but it can be stressful too. We need moments to bring back the spark, the passion and just simply enjoy a time getting to know each other again, to have fun, laugh, appreciate each other for who we are. Beautiful creation my friend. It reflects the pureness of your heart, your love for family and a strong hold to your faith. You created something that inspired us all. God bless you and your family always. Oh, I bet that puzzle will be finish soon….keep my updated!

49. wolke205 says:

Late Happy Birthday to your son my friend :) Have a good time & take care, hugs.

50. mariannegv says:

The lego cake is fantastic! Great colorful idea

Adore your posts about your little boy because they remind me of my grandkids! Belated birthday wishes to your son ;-)

52. The Hook says:

Cool toys! I wish I was a kid again…

53. rommel says:

Always a pleasant! You and your family always bring happiness, love and inspiration to the blogging world. Thanks for the share. Such sweet moments.

Happy Birthday to your dear son!! :D How wonderful it is to appreciate every single thing in our life! I wish the coming year more happiness and joy to share! :D