Children And Their Gifts To The World
A child is a symbol of all things good and pure. A child is a gift from heaven that brings laughter and meaning to those around them. A child brings sunshine and hope to a world inflicted with so much pain and misery. A child brings together a nation that is grieving and teaches them what selfless love is all about. A child inspires us to embrace joy with each smile they create. A child is a source of light that helps us find our way.
Last weekend, me and my wife were full of sadness as we watched the heart breaking news of the horrible event in Newtown Connecticut. As we looked at the smiling, beautiful pictures of the victims, tears fell uncontrollably. Our son asked us why while playing with his Legos. We explained to him what happened in simple terms a first grader can understand without causing undue fear and anxiety. We also told him that starting that day, no more YouTube viewing because even if he was only watching Lego Star Wars, it showed a lot of blasting and violence. Surprisingly, he didn’t argue. He listened quietly, intently and said, “Okay!”
Today, he told us that his school’s counselor together with their teacher talked to him and his classmates of what to do if a bad person enters their school. He was calm. I asked him, “So, what do you do when a bad guy enters you school.” He answered, “I will hide.” This time I was quiet for several seconds. I can not believe that my child and his generation had to go through such a scary drill when they should be feeling safe, secure and just having a fun, happy play time in this world. I can not believe that the very threat I fear the most as a parent is happening before my eyes. A threat every parent and child will be feeling everyday.
A human heart is a delicate, precious creation. It is a source of joy and strength. It can also be a source of pain and grief. There are times when it is jumping with joy, vibrant and just full of hope but there are also times when it is crushed and just full of overwhelming emotions. It can be pure, kind, generous, loving and forgiving but it can also be dark and full of anger. It can be a guiding light for people to choose goodness. It can be a key that unlocks a door that leads to healing, unity and peace. A key each one of us needs to have today.
It’s amazing how a child’s imagination and creativity kicks to full gear when they are not into YouTube, internet and video games. While me and my wife were talking about the tragic event and expressing our sadness, my son came out with hand-made costume. We were off guard. As soon as we saw the paper shoes, we started laughing. I asked him, “What are you suppose to be?” With a huge, bright smile he said, “I’m a zombie Knight.” He then started chasing me around our dining table. As he caught me with his little hands, I threw my arms around him and gave him a big hug. He brought back a smile to me and my wife’s face that night. In a lot of ways, he is our Knight in shining armor.
A child is a precious gift from heaven. They are a perfect proof that miracles happen. They complete us in this world. They give us a reason for living and pursuing the challenges ahead. They make us smile, laugh and feel happiness even during the most difficult periods in our lives. They give us hope that peace and goodness can reign in our world . They make us believe in things we long forgotten. They make us unite and set aside our differences.
My thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their families. It is a painful event that will take so much time to heal. There are no words that can make it better but I pray that the pain and sorrow gets less and less with the passing of time. The world will not forget. We will always honor, remember and celebrate the beautiful angels that left us on that tragic Friday morning. We will always cherish in our hearts the priceless gifts they gave us in this world.
Thank you for sharing your day with me. Thank you for joining me in sharing the sadness and sentiments of the events that happened this weekend. Thank you for joining hands in prayer and sharing acts of kindness. Thank you for keeping in your thoughts and heart the angels we lost that day and everyday elsewhere in the other parts of the world.
Today, discover the inspiring world of these blogger friends. Their zest for life, their families, their environment and most of all their faith are priceless treasures that will bring a smile to your day.
For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget. Have a great time making wonderful memories.
Images taken using an iPhone 4 camera with Camera + App and Nikon 1 J1.
My friends, let us find time to discover and capture the images around us. Take a moment, breath and just enjoy what the day has to offer. You’ll be surprised of the many things we missed in this lifetime. Happy or sad, they are a part of the unforgettable journey called “life.”
- K-9 Comfort Dogs Bring Relief to Connecticut After Killings (dogster.com)
- ’26 Acts of Kindness’ honors Newtown victims (myfox8.com)
- how to help Newtown (lovelaughbelight.com)
- Our President And America Grieves With Newtown, Connecticut. (theobamacrat.com)
- CNN: How to Help Victims of Elementary School Shooting (whnt.com)
- Remember Them (myownheart.me)
- Supporting Newtown… (hip2save.com)
- Rev. Emily C. Heath: Dealing With Grief: Five Things NOT To Say And Five Things To Say In A Trauma Involving Children (huffingtonpost.com)
- VIDEO: President Obama Tears Up During Emotional Press Conference on Newtown School Shooting (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge-Delicate Outside And Strength Inside (brouhaha-access.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: DELICATE (Wintersky) (picturesinlivingcolor.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (scottseyephotos.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (nofixedplans5.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (hereandthere5.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate. (3rdculturechildren.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: delicate (cloudandmountain.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (Light) (chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Delicate (smkelly8.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge “Delicate” (asianartandquilts.com)