Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise

Surprise comes in many packages.

My son love to create surprises. Hardly awake, he told me, "Dad, close your eyes." I thought, "Wasn't I doing that already?" I close my eyes as we head close to his bedroom door. He then excitedly said, "Now, open them." As I opened my eyes he shouted with glee, "Taran!" Before me was a basketball hoop made from Rice Crispies box.

My son loves to create surprises. Last week while hardly awake he told me, “Dad, close your eyes.” I thought, “Wasn’t I doing that already?” I close my eyes as we head close to his bedroom door. He then excitedly said, “Now, open them.” As I opened my eyes he shouted with glee, “Taran!” Before me was a basketball hoop made from Rice Crispies box. I laughed which I thought was a great wake-up booster.

Some surprise makes you jump with joy like a child opening his gifts on Christmas day.

Island Traveler

My sister and her husband gave this to my son as an advance Christmas present. Every morning, as soon as he wakes up he opens one tiny box of his Lego Advent Calendar. The excitement and joy are priceless with each new daily surprise.

"On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me...a blue ship from a far Galaxy."

“On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me…a blue ship from a far Galaxy.”

Some reveals itself unexpectedly like finding a beautiful place or scenery during our travel and journey.

A beautiful, peaceful Autumn day in a scenic part of Connecticut.

A beautiful, peaceful Autumn day in a scenic part of Connecticut. I can not believe that a month ago everything was full of vibrant joy as I experienced a wonderful Thanksgiving week at my sister’s home. A place so picture perfect that all I could say was, “Wow!” I believe that once again, it will be a place of happiness and laughter.

Others come with fireworks, giant balloons, raining confetti and all sorts of merriment.

No matter how hard our present life may be, we need to believe and hope that everything will be alright. That soon, healing, joy and peace will come like a pouring rain of blessings from heaven. A photo from Macy's Thanksgiving parade.

No matter how hard our present life is, we need to believe and hope that everything will be alright. That soon, healing, joy and peace will come like a pouring rain of blessings from heaven. A photo from Macy’s Thanksgiving parade.

While some though simple have so much meaning and value. Meaning that we carry in our heart and memory wherever we go.

A walk along Galveston's seawall at night with my son and wife during December's first week of magic. It was a simple yet happy, memorable time with them.

A walk along Galveston’s seawall at night with my son and wife during December’s first week of magic. It was a simple yet happy, memorable time with them.

Thank you for sharing your day with me. I hope this post gave you a bit of joyful, inspiring surprise. I hope my version of this week’s Photo Challenge called “Surprise,” made you remember all the wonderful, happy and exciting moments you had in your life whether during Christmas time or a regular yet perfect day.

Merry Christmas! I wish you all love, peace, great health, happiness and yes, many days of exciting surprises.  May God shower you and your family with his generous blessings always .

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, Events, family, Inspiration, Life, Love, parenting, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise

1. Barbara says:

I am SO jealous!!! A LEGO Advent calendar! My dream come true!!

2. Angelia Sims says:

Christmas through a child’s eyes makes everything sparkle. Love the night shot. And how fun to play Star Wars! I wish you the merriest of days and the happiest of hearts. Merry Christmas. :-)

What an absolutely perfect advent calendar for you little boy!

4. Dear Island Traveler,

You had me with the very first picture of your son’s homemade basketball hoop! That made me smile from ear to ear! What a loving and nurturing home you are making for him, so that he can exercise his creativity this way. It is no surprise to me that your surprise pictures are all about love and family. Thank you for a beautiful start to my day! Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year to your and your whole family!

5. Loving the basketball hoop. Resourceful or what?

Surprises….the things that make your heart go “yippee”.
    Love your son’s creativity!!

7. Kristina says:

Dear Island Traveler,

thank you for taking the time to share your excitement about life’s small moments with us. Your appreciation of your son’d creativity is a great gift to your son – as is your willingness to share this simple act of creation and excitement is to others.
    May you and your family enjoy a wonderful christmas and a happy, healthy new Year to continue your journey together.

Merry Christmas!

8. Sweetly touching–thanks.

9. Jo Bryant says:

I love his enthusiam…and that basketball hoop is priceless. Happy holidays !!!!

Lovely surprise post. Your son is such a genius, making that basket ball hoop. Beautiful images to accompany your heartfelt words. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas time.

11. These are wonderful descriptions and pictures of surprises. You made me smile immediately with the story of your son’s creative basketball hoop. It looked a lot like my daughter’s new & improved mousetrap — which dangled about 8 inches from the ceiling and would never come anywhere near a mouse on the floor. :)

12. thirdeyemom says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Enjoy!

13. The hoop? Genius!
    Galveston looks sparkly ;-)

14. I thoroughly enjoyed the warmth and the delight in simple things in this post especially the basketball hoop. And, a lego advent calendar – how wonderfully fun is that!

15. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise « Pictures for Froghopper

16. scrapydo says:

Shows how clever kids are. They can do lots with not much! Wonderful festive season to you and your family

17. Surprises… makes life merrier :) Merry Christmas!

Wonderful as always! :-)
    ¸.•*¨*•.♪♫♫♪Happy Holidays to You & Yours!.♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ♥
    ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜” ♥ ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”
    Eliz

19. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge : Surprise! « Cheryl Andrews

20. Love your son’s creative soul. So glad you are there to nurture it. Thanks for brightening my DAT.

21. LolaWi says:

Very nice reflections. Lego is my grandson’s Christmas wish :)
    Merry Christmas!

22. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Surprise « My Tropical Home

23. shoes says:

I adore your son’s excitment over his cardboard box hoop! :-) Very merry to you all.

Your son is such a creative and happy kid! Merry Christmas to you and family, IT!

25. angrygaijin says:

Merry Christmas!! :)

26. angrygaijin says:

ps,
    that Lego advent calendar looks fun!

27. rommel says:

A basketball made of a cardboard box, how clever and imaginative, and funny in an endearing way. Your son is all kinds of things when he grows up, eh?
    Happy Christmas and Merry New Year. :D

28. Maxima says:

Dear my friend , I wish to you a Merry Christmas to be blessed with happiness, good health, prosperity, and also your entire family!
    With much love, Stefan

29. Freedomborn says:

Christmas Blessings and much Love Island Traveler for you and your family , thank you for sharing your life with us over this year, through the good and the bad, may you all be greatly blessed in the comming year.

Christmas Love from both of us – Anne

30. mariannegv says:

I love the basketball hoop that your son made from the Rice Crispies box. It made me remember my childhood when my little siblings always wanted to play with the big box of cake every birthday celebration at my home. They got inside the box imagining it was a boat or an airplane or whatever. Although they had many toys, they always wanted to play with the box all day. That’s the great childhood imagination. Don’t you think?
    Kind greetings,
    Marianne

31. A Nature Mom says:

Sweet! My son loved opening his little surprise each day in Star Wars advent calendar. Looks as if your did, too!

Love the family shots more than anything else! Have a good time welcoming the new year!