On Christmas Day

What Christmas Means To Me

Island Traveler 2012

Christmas is about bringing joy and magic to our children. It is about giving to others with a sincere heart presents of love, happiness, peace and hope. It is about celebrating the birth of Jesus and remembering why he came into this world. It is about appreciating the blessings we received, big or small as well as sharing those blessings for those who have less. Christmas can mean a lot of things to every person but regardless of our religion or what we believe, it is a day to make someone happy. To let them know in words or gesture that we are glad and thankful that they are part of our lives. It is a time to honor, celebrate and cherish the people who held our hands and walked with us during our darkest times. It is about embracing the light and all that is good.

My son created this Nativity scene which placed on our Christmas Tree. Yesterday, after the Christmas church celebration, we greeted the baby Jesus in the manger a Happy Birthday.

My son created this Nativity scene which he placed on our Christmas Tree. Yesterday, after the Christmas church celebration, we greeted the baby Jesus in the manger a Happy Birthday.

December 24th, I went home all excited that Christmas is finally here. Both my son and wife were waiting for me close to our Christmas tree. My wife told me, “Guess what? Someone gave me a Hermes bag.” Looking confused I replied, “What? That is expensive. Who gave it to you?” Laughing she said, “Your son!” Laughing with her and still a bit confused, I told her, “Wow! He is rich.”

Our children makes the most  creative and beautiful surprises. Everyday, they make our world a happier place to live in. Everyday, they make us smile, laugh and jus feel good about ourselves. Everyday, they remind us that magic exist as long as we truly believe.

Our children makes the most creative and beautiful surprises. Everyday, they make our world a happier place to live in. Everyday, they make us smile, laugh and just feel good about ourselves. Everyday, the remind us that magic exist as long as we truly believe.

The night before, while cooking food for our Christmas Party, my son asked my wife, “Mom, what do you want for Christmas?” With a loving smile she replied, “Nothing. I have everything I want.” Not satisfied with his mom’s answer, he asked again, “Mom, what do you really want for Christmas?” His mom answered, “Okay, I just want you be a good boy.” Still not satisfied, he told her, “You like bags, right mom?” My wife just smiled. My son looked at her for a several seconds and ran to his room. Before heading for sleep, my son placed something under the Christmas tree. My wife was still cooking and did not notice what it was.

Island Traveler 2012

When my wife was ready to sleep, she checked all the doors, the lights and finally the Christmas tree. She noticed what looks like a bag  secured together by a paper tape. On the middle front part of the bag was the “H” logo. My wife was laughing like crazy for several minutes. Her son just gave her a hand-made Hermes bag. She was deeply touched of his thoughtfulness. My son knew we can not afford such an expensive bag and so, he made one for her. We were both impressed by his creativity and ingenuity. We both gave him a big hug that morning followed by tons of kisses.

On Christmas Day

Every year, my friends from my home town in the Philippines celebrate New Year together with our families. This year, we decided to create the happiest and most unforgettable Christmas for our kids. Our children had no idea that Santa was visiting them for Christmas to give them their presents in person.

He went in like a blur bringing in magic and happiness beyond words can even describe. It was indeed a Merry Christmas for everyone.

An hour before the 25th Of December, we heard a loud knock. As the kids opened the door, they were in disbelief. It was Santa! With their eyes all wide in awe and wonderment, they clapped, jumped and cheered. It was a priceless, happy and exciting moment. Their faces lit up with joy.

Island Traveler 2012

As Santa sat on the rocking chair, the kids lined up in front of him. Everyone stared curiously at the huge, red bag full of presents.

Island Traveler 2012

Seeing them smiling with faces all aglow as they received their Christmas presents, I whispered to my friend, “I’m so glad we did this. Look how happy they are.” I quietly told myself, “This is what a magical childhood should look like for all our children.”

Island Traveler 2012

It was time to open the presents. As Santa announced, “Ready? Open your presents!” My son hurriedly opened his present and was speechless for a second when he saw what he got. He only had one item on his wish list. A few weeks ago he wrote, “Dear Santa. I wish for a Star Wars Malevolence Lego.” I knew what he wanted because he asked me to spell the Lego model for him before he placed it inside Santa’s mailbox.

Island Traveler 2012

Christmas morning, as soon as he woke up, my son started working on the first phase of his Star Wars “The Malevolence” Lego. It’s the most complicated model he ever had. Knowing it will take him more than a day, he is taking his time and just enjoying the entire experience. Hmm? Seems like he is teaching me something.

After the gift giving, Santa read the kids a beautiful Christmas story.

Island Traveler 2012

It was time for “How to get into the chimney” drill. Santa pulled out what looks like a long stocking with an opening on both ends. The kids had a blast racing each other. Whoever goes through the tunnel the fastest wins. A few took their time. For a moment we thought they were lost inside it.

Island Traveler 2012

Before Santa left, he said, “I may need more elves next year to help me make more toys.” He added, “I will teach you how to make two of my favorite toys.” From his bag, he pulled parts of a wooden boat and plane. Everyone learned quickly. Looks like Santa found some new elves for next year’s Christmas.

Island Traveler 2012

I wish Santa didn’t have to go but he has other kids waiting for him to bring their presents. All the kids followed him towards the door as they waved goodbye. I followed Santa and like magic disappeared as soon as he turned towards a corner. He was in a hurry that he forgot to eat his cookies and drink his milk. So as not to disappoint the kids, I ate a few and placed some of the milk in my coffee. After all the fun, I was a bit hungry.

Island Traveler 2012

We went home around 03:00 in the morning. When my son saw his presents, he said, “Can I open my presents now? It is Christmas morning.” Me and his mom told him, “Okay but after you shower, brush your teeth and change into you sleeping clothes.

island traveler 2012

Christmas is about making our love ones feel special. Bringing a magical joy they will never forget. My parents gave me and my siblings the happiest Christmas I ever known and now, I have the chance to do the same for my son.

As a Christmas gift, my son took 4 dollars from his piggy bank and wrap them in paper. He also drew a one of trooper for me. Inside the the gift wrapper was a short letter that sums up what Christmas is for me. He wrote, "

As my Christmas gift, my son took 4 dollars from his piggy bank and wrapped them in paper. He also drew one of his clone troopers for me. Inside the gift wrapper was a short letter that sums up why I celebrate Christmas. He wrote, ” Dear dad, I love you. Dear dad, thank you for taking us to places.” The most timeless gifts are the ones that comes from the heart.

This week’s Image of Life is titled “On Christmas Day.”

On Christmas day, create a beautiful, happy moment your family will never forget. A Christmas day they will always carry with them in their hearts when they are all grown up and ready to create magical, happy moments of their own.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. May your days be full of blessings. Blessings of love, happiness, peace and good health.

As we celebrate the rest of the holiday season, let’s also take a moment of silence and offer a prayer for those who may not feel the joys of Christmas this year. Let us pray that soon enough, they will experience the gift of happiness and peace.

Discover the world of these blogger friends.

Katy of  http://praguebykaty.wordpress.com/2012/12/21/weekly-image-of-life-children-and-their-gifts/

Lisa “Z”  http://playamart.wordpress.com/2012/12/22/children-their-gifts/

Francine of  http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/greatest-gift-part-one/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2012/12/26/weekly-image-of-life-children-and-their-gifts/

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget.

Images taken using an iPhone 4 camera with Camera + App and  Nikon 1 J1.

My friends, let us find time to discover and capture the images around us. Take a moment, breath and just enjoy what the holiday season has to offer.

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to On Christmas Day

1. What a beautiful experience for all of you! The sweetness of the bag touched my heart!
    Thanks again for your praise of my post!
    Z

2. I think that if I can only remember to come here when my spirits are blue, they will not remain blue very long. You have such a way with words that move the spirit to a place of joy. Merry Christmas.

• Thank you Deborah. I try us much to share the moments that made me smile to also help me forget the many events that made me blue…even grey. Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

3. scrapydo says:

This is so lovely! Thanks for sharing and giving me the opertunity to enjoy a bit of Christmas with your family Blessings to you all :)

4. Thank you for sharing your Christmas joy! You have a sweet, precious family. Merry Christmas!

5. What a wonderful, meaningful and unforgettable Christmas that the children will probably tell their chikdren about.

• Seeing how happy they were and how much magic the moment has created inspired all of us parents present that night. We should try our best to make Christmas the happiest memory for our little ones. It’s not even enough for all the joy they bring into our lives. Thanks.

6. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Christmas Day « The Wish Factor

I’m absolutely loving the Hermes bag gift your son gave your wife and the chimney drill. LOVE IT! Great pictures and great story you got here, but most of all that note your son left you. Ahhhhh. Definitely frame-worthy. Such a sweet gesture. Sounds like you had a great Christmas!

What a wonderful family you are. I loved everything about this post, but especially your son’s Nativity Scene (he’s some artist!) and the Hermes bag (of course) My very best wishes for a wonderful year ahead.

• My son brings me and my wife the most amazing surprises. Surprises that we can not get in any store display window. He gave us surprises that comes from his creative, optimistic heart. Thanks.

What a fun day! Happy holidays and Merry Christmas. :)

10. dianewrites says:

Hi! Thank you for following my blog. New people and visits never fail to make me the happiest!

I love this post so much. It reminded me that Christmas is indeed for kids and the kids at heart. It proves that above all money and material wealth, there are just some things that are enough to make us happy.

Wishing you all the best for 2013!

PS You have a great blog :)

• Thank you. It’s always exciting , warm and heart warming to discover new blogger friends. This is after all a blogging community that shares and supports each other. Wishing you and your family an awesome 2013!

11. nonehpets says:

Thank you for offering your gift to all of us … being able to see your family through a father’s eyes is priceless. My daughter is now 25 and I have very fond memories of making that Christmas magic for her. Merry Christmas to your family. All my pictures of my little one are on negative but I will try and find one of them to scan in to link for you here.

• Thank you. Merry Christmas and a bountiful New Year to you and your family. No matter how old we get, we always go back to the happiest, warmest Christmas of our past and they inspires us to create something similar in the present.

Thank you so much for your beautiful thoughts of the meaning of Christmas — it’s not about what to get/buy but what precious memory we can create.

13. A very blessed Christmas indeed. That boy is very precious. I know what a treasure a son can be.

• The image does looks peaceful. Something we hope and pray every day in our loves. Your words echoes so honestly, truthfully. Words that we also experience everyday. “My life has been spent and will continue to be spent trying to truly find God. Like the wise men who were led to find Jesus by God’s design, a star that pointed the way, I am reminded of a God who is always there, waiting for me. God is there, shows me the way, has really always been there for those who seek him. Finding Him can be a long journey and I may not really see Him clearly until I reach my destination. Christmas is perhaps the time each year and in my life when I can see God clearly, understand that He is there. I need to be reminded of that.” It feels good to know we are not alone in our journey in life. Happy New Year to you and your family. Thanks.

• You are welcome. Thanks for your encouraging words. Sometimes I wonder if my words are accepted when I express my faith in this type of forum, so I truly do appreciate the encouragement. May you and your family continue to recognize the blessing that is yours.

14. The Hermes bag was the best gift a boy could give his mom. Wow. That made me smile. Merry Christmas, hun.

• I told my wife, “That’s the most priceless Hermes ever!” We can’t not put a price on the creative work of our little ones. These are the gifts that makes us grateful many years from now. Thanks.

15. What a great post, writing and photographs. Life is magical and every year Christmas is a blessing. Perhaps you would like to see the original letter written in 1897 from an eight year and the reply “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus”:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/199704A43.html

16. In today’s chaotic and unsettled world of events it’s truly magical for children to still believe in the mystique of Christmas. No matter one’s religious beliefs this holiday (it’s true meaning) is about the wonder of our imaginations and spiritis. Thanks you again for your observations, and a peaceful and harmonious holiday to your family and you.

• Thank you Sally. With all the painful and sad events in the world, we need to share the spirit of joy and hope in whatever way we can. So true, ” No matter one’s religious beliefs this holiday (it’s true meaning) is about the wonder of our imaginations and spirit.” Merry Christmas to you and your family.

17. Becky says:

This was great! Thank you for “sharing” your special day with us! Looks like you and your son are going to have fun working on the Lego project together! And you are right…the best gifts are from the heart! Your son certainly has a tender one! :)

You better register that new design of Hermes. You never know if someone might copy it! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

19. So much fun; what memories to be shared!

Wonderful family memories. Happy holidays.

What a wonderful Christmas you all enjoyed. I love your son’s Nativity scene, so beautiful. I love the idea of Santa reading stories to the children. :)

22. Pingback: WEEKLY IMAGE OF LIFE: ON CHRISTMAS DAY « Francine In Retirement

Thank you for sharing your wonderful day. Here is mine: http://wp.me/p23TG1-1UK

• Thank you for sharing. You have a pure heart my friend. The best gifts are the love and presence of our families. ” Seeing the wonderment and joy on their faces as they open their presents warms my heart. What more can a person ask for. God is good and we are blessed!” Beautiful, colorful, bright and joyful images that celebrates the magic on Christmas day. Merry Christmas to you and your love ones.

24. jakesprinter says:

Great Christmas Experience my friend ,Merry Christmas to you and your family as well :)

25. A chimney drill? How clever is that! And Legos? Love ‘em. I can sit around and build for hours. And you, sir, got the best gift of all. :-) beauti

26. Oops. Beautiful post. You are blessed. :-)

27. Angelia Sims says:

I love these captures of Christmas. Your son has a heart just like yours. Such a precious time to see all the warmth and love spread around. Glad your Christmas had the magic and peace of every joyful moment. Thanks for sharing all your blessings.

• Thanks Angelia. It was one Christmas my son will always remember. Till today, he keeps singing the Christmas carols we heard on the Pandora radio. He reminds me of myself when I was about his age. My parents shared a magical Christmas with me and my siblings and till today it warms my heart whenever I remember them.

28. Pingback: Starting My Day Off Right! « MKG- Memories-Keepsakes-Gifts

29. tchistorygal says:

Your Christmas celebration story from start to finish inspired and moved me. What a great tribute to your love for your family and their love for each other. This was a 100 on a scale of 10. :) Marsha :)

I haven’t stopped laughing over the Hermes bag… What a great story and heartwarming too.. :-)
    ¸.•*¨*•.♪♫♫♪ :lol: Happy Holidays to You & Yours! :lol: .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ♥
    ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜” ♥ ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•.★★.•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜”
    Eliz

Christmas mean the time for gathering, the time to give presents, the time to send your love to everyone you care about. :D I love Christmas as it is the happiest and warm moment of the year!

32. muZer says:

Such a beautiful post and the son gifting a self-made Hermes bag.. Nothing more precious than that, truly! :-)

• I know! I remember making handmade stuff for my parents during special occasions when I was a child and it made my parents so happy. Now I see and feel that same joy whenever my son creates something by hand. Thanks. Happy New Year.

33. Awww lovely pictures! Beautiful Christmas! :)

34. Patti Kuche says:

Everyone is going to want one of your son’s fabulous, limited edition Hermes bags now! What an absolute treat!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wishes to you all IT!

• I will sure preserve the bag. Priceless gift of an amazing childhood memory. Years from now, my son will have a great laugh remembering his unique creations. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year my friend.

35. That letter to you from your son is, indeed, priceless ~ how wonderful! ~ Kat

• Thanks Kat. My son gives me the most unique, fun surprises. It makes me appreciate more the gifts of childhood. It is great to see things through the eyes of a child. Happy New Year.

36. Beautiful pictures and heart warming blog. I always loved those special handmade gifts from my kids. Their creativity always surprised me. I still hang their handmade ornaments on the tree each year. It brings back wonderful memories. Wishing and your family all the best for the New Year!!! ~Sophia

• Thanks Sophia. I am planning to make a separate tree where everything on it are the home made decorations my son made. Also to add tiny picture frames of memories of each year. Christmas is about creating something priceless and personal. Wishing you and your family all the blessings for 2013.

37. Childhood… the best days of my life! It surely was a magical day for them. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Happy new year!

• Thank you. Childhood is that magical, happy stage of our life that is carefree and without worries. Wouldn’t it be great if we can feel that way even when we are already adults? Happy New Year!

38. Tammy says:

Home run with this one! Blessings of Christmas to you and your family and the Best in 2013!

39. Paula says:

I am late to wish you a merry Christmas, but here come my best wishes for you and your loved ones in 2013…. Let it be a very happy one!

40. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Wish List For 2013 | this man's journey

41. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: On Christmas Day « Life of a Minister Mom

42. lifeofaministermom says:

It’s 2013. Wow!! Glad you had such a wonderful Christmas, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the coming year! Our first Christmas with my daughter was AMAZING!! :) http://wp.me/p2uDC0-r9

Happy New Year!!!

Blessings to you all,

Patricia

• Love reading your Christmas day post. It shows that magical part of Christmas where our children opens their presents with joy and excitement as well as the gift of having a family that loves you no matter what. Christmas brings family closer together. It is a time to bond and create beautiful memories. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you and your family an amazing 2013.

43. dearrosie says:

What a delightful Christmas IT. Your son has learned real values from you and your wife. That Hermes bag is a beautiful gift that your wife will remember each and every Christmas. A forever gift.

44. Imelda says:

What a magical Christmas celebration for your family, especially your son. I love that Hermes bag too!! What a sweet thought from your child. I am amazed at his dedication ad skill with the legos. Do I foresee an engineer in your son?
    Happy new year to you and your family, IT. I am sorry I have not caught up with the blog. Vacation is a weird thing – I have lots of time and less time. Go figure. :-)