Weekly Image Of Life: Weekend

What Weekends Have To Offer

Nothing more relaxing and fun than having a long weekend off. So many things to do. From getting that long overdue sleep to a trip to the beach, weekends give us that opportunity to unwind, rejuvenate and simply recharge for the busy days ahead.

It’s been raining around Houston for 2 weeks. The skies had been depressingly grey and I just want to put a bit of color and excitement to my weekend. I asked my wife last Friday, “Our son had been asking to go to Pleasure Pier. Do you think we can go this Saturday?” She replied, “We could but there’s 50% chance of rain.” With bright optimism I answered back, “But there’s 50% chance that it won’t.”

island traveler 2013

We arrived in Galveston Island around 10 A.M. It wasn’t raining but the fog was so thick that it was hard to see anything beyond a few hundred feet. It was eerie and reminded me of the horror movie The Fog. We had an hour to spare before the pier opens so we decided to play by the beach.

island traveler 2013

My son had a great time feeding the seagulls. I wanted to get a better picture of him running around as the seagulls were flying above him but he kept standing beside me. I asked him, “Are you scared of the seagulls?” He answered back, “No, I’m not. I don’t want their poop to fall on my head.” I laughed and said, “I don’t want those poop to fall on me either.”

island traveler 2013

After feeding the seagulls my son asked me to chase him. I did until I was short of breath. While we were resting, he decided to build a sand castle. He barely started when it started to drizzle. We ran towards Murdoch’s Gift Shop for cover.

island traveler 2013

Everytime we visit Murdoch’s, my son checks out the hermit crab area. We lined up some of the most active crabs to race each other. My son’s bet won. Mine decided to chill and hardly left the starting line.

island traveler 2013

It was finally time to hit Pleasure Pier.  We were among the first visitors. Some of the rides were still close. The fog was still too dense and we could hardly see the end of the pier.

island traveler 2013

First ride was the safest and all time favorite, the Carousel. My wife was so excited. She told us, “I can do this without getting dizzy”

island traveler 2013

Second stop was the Gulf Glider. My wife was in a courageous mood. She said, “I’ll ride with you guys.” My son smiled happily as he sat next to me.

island traveler 2013

After about 3 spins, I was already a bit dizzy and so was my wife. When it was over, my wife said, “Let’s take a break. I need to take my anti-dizziness medication.”

island traveler 2013

Third ride was the Ferris Wheel. Me and my wife pretended to look tough by laughing as the wheel reached the top. My son tried to tease his mom by moving on his chair. My wife gave him this, “Don’t you dare look” and he stopped.

island traveler 2013

Next stop, the Pirate Plunge. We were the first crazy people brave enough to get wet while it was still cold and chilly. All for the sake of fun!

island traveler 2013

I asked the person watching the ride, “Are we going to get wet?” She said smiling, “Yes, you are going to get wet.” I turned around and told my son, “We are going to get wet.” He assured me by saying, “Dad, that’s okay.”

island traveler 2013

I expected to get wet only around my feet area but when we had our final plunged, large amounts of icy cold water splashed on my face down to my shoes. It felt like someone threw buckets of freezing water on me all at once.

My wife was laughing so hard when she saw me wet and drenched in water.  She can’t believe it when I said, “We are going for a second round.”

island traveler 2013

We had to change our clothes after the Pirate’s Plunge. Soaked and dripping, I was shivering on the way to our car. My wife suggested that we might as well eat lunch. I was also getting hungry so I replied, “That sounds like a great idea.” I asked my son, “Where do you want to eat?” He answered, “At Rainforest, dad.”

island traveler 2013

We ordered the usual Awesome Appetizer Adventure with ribs on the side and Clam Chowder soup. We just love the coconut curry sauce that goes with the appetizer. This time we skipped the delicious sparkling volcano dessert. A full stomach doesn’t go well with the vertigo inducing rides.

island traveler 2013

When we returned to Pleasure Pier, it seemed more alive and vibrant. There were more people this time with more kids playing and running all over the place.

island traveler 2013

My son kept telling me that he wants to ride the Texas Flyer. From below, it seemed like a safe, fun and exhilarating ride.

island traveler 2013

At 200 feet above the ground with only a thin chain to hold on to, it wasn’t fun or funny at all. Near its peak, the winds were stronger and colder. Everytime the chair sways at its farthest end, it tilts down and gave me this feeling that I am about to fall. My son on the other hand, looked so happy and thrilled. His face was full of wonder and awe. His laughter was somehow comforting.

island traveler 2013

Up in the air, I panicked and felt like shouting, “Stop! Bring me down please.” I looked down and saw sea water below me. My son who was sitting beside me looked so thrilled. Part of my fear was that he might slipped. So, I held his other arm as tightly close to me as I could. I managed to smile so as not to alert him. It was a big relief when the ride ended. I whispered to my wife, “I’m glad you did not join. It was a scary ride.”

island traveler 2013

I stayed at a corner till I calmed down. My son who didn’t know what was going on in my head asked me, “Can we ride the flyer again?” I declined this time but I told him, “If you want, we can ride the glider before we go home.”

island traveler 2013

We rode the glider one last time before deciding it was time to head back to Houston.

island traveler 2013

As the glider was spinning, I whispered to my son, “Did you have fun?” He smiled and said, “Yes, dad, I had fun.”

island traveler 2013

On the way home, my wife asked me and my son, “Are my boys happy?” We both answered, “Yes!”

It was an illuminating weekend. It helped me clear my mind and soothe my heart. It gave me that much-needed time to bond with my family and just enjoy life in a fun and exciting way. For a moment, it helped me forget my worries and gave me that much needed escape.

What did you do this weekend that celebrated you and the people close to you? What was that weekend you can’t forget and hope to relive one day?

Thank you for sharing your day with me. I hope you enjoyed this I week’s theme as well as my version of the Weekly Photo Challenge called Illumination. Wishing you many beautiful weekends ahead.

Today, discover the inspiring world of these blogger friends. Their zest for life, their families, their environment and most of all their faith are priceless treasures that will bring a smile to your day.

Jenn of  http://the-serenity-space.com/2012/12/31/weekly-image-of-life-wishes-for-2013/

April of  http://alwaysbobswife.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/weekly-image-of-life-wish-list-for-2013/

The Guat of  http://thewishfactor.wordpress.com/2013/01/05/weekly-image-of-life-wish-list-for-2013/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2013/01/08/weekly-image-of-life-wish-list-for-2013/

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget. Have a great time making wonderful memories.

My friends, let us find time to discover and capture the images around us. Take a moment, breath and just enjoy what the season has to offer. You’ll be surprised of the many things we missed in this lifetime. Happy or sad, they are a part of the unforgettable journey called “life.”

This entry was posted in Events, family, Life, Post A Week, Travels, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to Weekly Image Of Life: Weekend

1. That Texas Flyer is INSANE and way too scary! Other than that, the day looked like a success. You, sir, are brave! YIKES!

2. Mazigrace says:

Great story of your “illuminating” adventure. Great pictures too.

3. bulldogsturf says:

You do make your family outings sound so great … I feel that I’m there with you… I love it…

4. Angelia Sims says:

That fog drizzle type weather always brings me down. How awesome that you insert the fun and joy into that gloom. It certainly makes the world a less dreary place. What a great adventure. I enjoyed reading your happy weekend. I didn’t know Galveston had such a place. :-) We were supposed to head to Houston this weekend, but my youngest step-daughter has the flu. :-( Hopefully, another time soon we can see this place. I love the weekends.

• Thanks my friend. It opened last Summer. It used to be a hotel which hurricane Ike destroyed. There is a lot of flu going around. I hope your step daughter gets well soon. Right now, the all day pass is half off till January 21st. You guys will have fun for sure. Perhaps Spring Break? Best wishes to you and your family.

5. cookie5683 says:

You have my favorite post!!! I have many memories there and they came flooding back. Thank you

6. sued51 says:

Sounds like a great day! Like Angelia, the rain sometimes affects my mood, but the foggy pictures sure are beautiful. And the other good thing is that when you go on a day like that, it’s not so crowded!

7. semprevento says:

oh !!!
    it’s wonderfullllllllll!!!!!!
    Ciao dolcissima donna
    vento

8. janna hill says:

Is there anything we would not do for our children? You’re a real trooper dad. :)

9. Gracie says:

Wonderful shots! Love those shots with the fog almost blanketing the landscape. It sets the mood.

10. Colline says:

Looks like such fun! Like your wife, I do not think I would have gone on that scary ride either :)

11. dogear6 says:

What great fun – I’m glad you didn’t stay back because of the weather. I also liked your comments around the post on what weekends are good for. They are so much more than just time off from work and your photos did a great job of conveying it too.

Nancy

• Thanks Nancy. I appreciate the generous comment. I told my wife, “possible rain won’t stop me from having a great time outdoors.” I guess someone up there heard my prayer or that of my son’s. It rained the next day. Life is too short not to make amazing moments.

what a wonderful father you are….. I am like Mrs IT I like the Carosel with the horses its safe, noisy and fun!

13. Becky says:

This looks like it was a wonderful week-end for you and your family! I love the pictures in the fog. The ride that hangs out over the ocean is in a word “AMAZING”! I would love to do that, but I’m sure I would be scared too. :) My week-end was spent watching football play-offs with my husband! It was fun!

• Watching football sounds fun too. My wife probably preferred to stay home and watch her T.V. series. But she knew how much me and my son wanted to unwind that day and she went along. By the end of the day, what matters is that we were all together, whether at home or somewhere else. Thanks Becky. Best wishes!

14. I enjoy reading about your adventures. Great pics too!

Wild horses wouldn’t get me there!
    your son has grown so tall :-)

• He did. His school pants which we bought at the beginning of the school year looks more like a capri pants now. We are actually planning to buy new ones because we don’t want him to be teased about it. He’s a simple kid and he didn’t really mention that he needed new ones. Thanks.

16. Sometimes even the grayish of days brings sunshine. Another post that sports your love of family and storing memories made. Nicely done.

17. bebs1 says:

Enjoy them while you can! My father made the mistake of riding in one of those scary rides with my nephew at Great America and when I realized he was in them, I knew for sure he might get a heart attack. He came back safe but did he get scared. Kids have no fear and and envy that.

I loved reading about your adventure. The weather didn’t stop you from having a great weekend, and really enjoying the fun of being together. Great photos, and inspiring words. :)

• Thanks my friend. It’s been a depressing weeks of rain and grey clouds. I just wish for atleast one day of getting out of the house and perhaps get some fun. My wish came true. Yehey!

19. joeyespinosa says:

You’re a braver man than I am, going on those rides.

We had a much calmer family outing. Went to a small college town 70 miles away (where we live, every decent sized town — like one that has a wal-mart or a chain grocery store — is that far away) that we’ve been wanting to go to.

Donuts (mid-morning snack), driving around campus, lunch at Zaxby’s, and shows and a walk at a Wildlife Refuge Center, mall, then a nice Mexican dinner. It was a wonderful day in 70-degree weather.

20. Wow that was an exciting weekend. I’m a big carnival coward, the pirate plunge is enough to really scare me not to try rides like the flyer and the roller coasters hahaha :) But I still go to places like this just to watch my friends and family have fun and get scared. Thanx for sharing, its really interesting :)

How fun! You have such fun weekends. I hope your son will take all these great memories with him as he grows up.

• I hope so. I only have 2 weekends off in a month and I try to make it us fun as I can for my son. He looks forward to my day off. I feel bad when he ask me, “Dad, you are working again?” I wish I can say I’m not but in reality, times been tough and we all need to work in the real world. Thanks for sharing.

22. I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award – http://wp.me/p1lPLj-213

Keep shooting and blogging! Happy new year!

23. Pingback: weekly image of life: weekend | bob's wife

24. A great weekend with very misty weather!

25. Indira says:

What a lovely fun filled weekend you had with family with yummy food. Wish you many more such weekends. lovely photographs.

Your weekends always sound so exciting rain or shine! Love all these pics, but my favorite would have to be the food. The food. The food. You make me hungry just staring at it :) But I also like the one of the flying swings…the one that shows just your feet.

Here’s my take on your challenge…hope you enjoy :)

27. Hope you don’t mind but I wish to share this from your post, “The weekend was another “Ohana” moment where the family melded together celebrating the year that was with the outpouring of personal stories of work, school and home life.” This is one of the priceless gifts of sharing a productive weekend with family. It strengthens the bond and relationship. We spend as much time with them for as long as we can. Thanks. God bless you and your family always.

28. Jepiner says:

What a wonderful weekend of you and your family. Thanks for sharing. :)

29. Lisa at fLVE says:

What a fun weekend! The food looks yummy too.

• The food was delicious. Funny though cause we order the same dish at rainforest again and again. It has everything that my son likes and what me and my wife likes. Win-win! Thanks.

30. What a beautiful family weekend! I bet your son will remember that for many, many years to come :)

31. Pingback: WEEKEND COUCH POTATO « Francine In Retirement

Great family outing. Wonderful photos as usual. Here is my entry: http://wp.me/p23TG1-230

33. cypyc says:

Thank you for sharing your weekend and your wonderful pictures. Cheers!

34. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Weekend « PragueByKaty

i am so glad you did not lose your lunch during any of your rides!! boy, you sure have great weekends and you don’t let the foggy weather get you down neither! my weekends are oh, so, ho-hum so it’s great to read posts like this one.
    thanks for sharing your weekend! <3

36. I enjoy internet time and reading posts on my weekends too. It’s a different kind of joy and inspiration. Plus no scary events. Thanks.

37. It’s been raining a lot here lately also. Thanks for sharing beautiful moments of your day to us!

38. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Weekend « Life of a Minister Mom

39. Oh my goodness those rides look intense! I already know that when our daughter is old enough, I’ll be the one to accompnay her on these types of adventures. My husband isn’t a fan! ;) I’m glad you all braved the rain and made the most of it. I had a great weekend, and I’m so happy to share the celbrations that went forth!
    My entry: http://wp.me/p2uDC0-sO

May God continue to bless you abundantly!!

Patricia

• That was one inspiring post Patricia. That is a fun weekend full of love , gratitude and blessings. My friend, you are indeed blessed. All the priceless treasures in the world surrounds you. A loving husband, a beautiful daughter that brings joy to your world, family relatives that supports and celebrates each other. Happy 92nd Birthday to your grandma-in-law. She is super adorable with a wonderful smile. And yes, congrats to your team. A perfect weekend indeed. God bless you ad your family. A toast to great weekends ahead!

Drizzle, mizzle, slush, sleet- we’ve had it all these past few weeks too. Glad to see it didn’t stop you having a good time.

41. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Weekend | The Serenity Space

42. Tina Schell says:

I don’t usually read long posts but this one got me! I remember as a kid being so fearless and now those things scare the heck out of me. Good for you for sharing this with your family!

Hope all is well with you and yours… Did you close comments on your Resolved post? The comment box was missing.
    Blessings! :-)
    Eliz

• I think I did. I wanted to really catch up on every comment of my blogger friends thus I had to change some of my settings but thank you for the thoughtfulness. I appreciate that. Have a blessed day my friend.