Galveston Mardi Gras Event

Mardi Gras By The Beach

I always wanted to witness the exciting and colorful Mardi Gras event in Galveston island. Last Saturday, it finally happened.

Island Traveler

That morning, my son had no idea where we were going. As we entered the island, he shouted, “You guys didn’t tell me we’re going to the beach!” We told him it was a surprise. The sound of his voice and facial expression made me and his mom laugh. Quietly of course.

Island Traveler

We arrived at the seawall an hour early. We had a lot of time to just relax, unwind, enjoy the view of the sea and play around.

Island Traveler

Mardi Gras is all about the beads. Lots of bright, colorful beads.

Island Traveler

The friendly cops were the first people to give away free beads.

Island Traveler

Then King Inebrius and his court passed by. I had no idea who he was but he must be famous judging from the crowd’s applause. On second thought, they might had cheered to get more beads.

Island Traveler

I was expecting a rain of beads. Instead, it simply drizzled. We did catch a few and one football ball.

Island Traveler

My wife was having a blast helping my son catch the beads.

Island Traveler

Meet the Queen of Mardi Gras. She gave everyone a generous, beautiful smile. She was also taking the crowd’s pictures which I bet are now posted on her Facebook page.

Island Traveler

It was an absolute joy watching the kids looking all excited and happy as they reached for the beads, candies and toys. One lucky girl got a teddy bear. To me, giving happiness and magic to others is what Mardi Gras is all about. Unfortunately, when the sun goes down a different, crazier Mardi Gras happens as alcohol starts to cloud a person’s mind.

Island Traveler

Mardi Gras is also about music. There was a lot of singing and dancing. These guys were singing some awesome blues.

Island Traveler

School bands from different cities had the crowd moving on their feet.  They were all talented and exudes that vibrant, cheerful enthusiasm.

Island Traveler

Mardi Gras is also about masks, costumes and mystery. Of reinventing oneself and just embracing that adventurous, fun and merry side in all of us.

Island Traveler

Last float was the pirate ship. After the parade, it was time to celebrate with food. Mardi Gras is also about savoring a mouth-watering bounty of food influenced by the delicious culinary inspirations from New Orleans, Louisiana.

Island TravelerFor lunch, my son had Shrimp Shack Mac and Cheese with mango smoothie while me and my wife shared a pan seared Tilapia sautéed with spinach, cream and lobster sauce at Bubba Gump Restaurant. A cool, refreshing dessert followed at Rita’s. We had mango flavored Italian ice topped with coffee flavored frozen custard. A perfect ending to a perfect eventful day. Oh, we did pass Starbuck’s for an instant caffeine rush. After eating all that food, I was ready to go to sleep.

Island Traveler

My son and I played at the beach using the baseball ball we got from the Mardi Gras parade. He was having a wonderful time that he didn’t want to stop. He forgot that his mom was waiting for us at the restaurant.
A fun and happy event no matter how short reminds us how beautiful life can be and that it is great to be alive.

This Week’s Image Of Life is called “Event.” Some are fun and exciting with loads of laughter in between. Some events bring sadness while others to love, hope and faith. Regardless of what events life bring us what matters is how we face them and whom we share it with. Events is about people coming together to make this world a better, happier place.

What events changed your life for the better?

Thank you for sharing your day with me.

Discover the inspiring world of these blogger friends.

Hardik Gohil at  http://mang0pe0ple.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/weekly-image-of-life-people/

The Guat at  http://thewishfactor.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/weekly-image-of-life-challenge-people/

Francine at  http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/furry-people/

ShopeTwinkle at  http://travelwithintent.com/2013/02/08/weekly-image-of-life-challenge-people-on-mount-fuji/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2013/02/12/weekly-image-of-life-people/

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget.

Images taken using an iPhone 4 camera with Camera + App and  Nikon 1 J1.

This entry was posted in Events, photography, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Galveston Mardi Gras Event

1. Hardik Gohil says:

Awesome event and so as your pics. Thanks for sharing :)

2. Jo says:

Beatiful images, I love the one of your wife and son catching the beads. Thanks for sharing.

3. We’ve been to Dickens on the Strand many times, but just haven’t made it down for Mardi Gras. Thank you for the front row seat.

4. What fun and the last image is a short story in itself. Happy hearts day.

5. bulldog says:

This looks a wonderful event to witness… as always depicted so well by you…

What a fun event! I especially love that photo of the blue beads being caught in the air and all the hands reaching out.
    Happy Valentine’s Day!

7. thank you so much for sharing this event!!!! that mango ice topped with custard looks SO DELICIOUS! i’ve been working in the yard, and that would make a perfect food to break my fast!

would you please send one via pelican? it’s beak could probably hold a mini ice chest, dry ice and that wonderful confection!

z

8. Gracie says:

Mardi Gras is such a joyful event. Thanks for sharing your day with us.
    I love how you shot those beads as they are being tossed to the crowd.

Hi IT, Thank you for reminding us that events are to make this world a better, happier place. So well stated!

What a great day you had! I would love to go to Mardi Gras, instead I’ve had an average working day, but peaceful so all is well!

11. Patti Kuche says:

That great last shot tells me how much fun you squeezed out of such a wonderful day!

12. Mazigrace says:

Great pictures. Never been to a Mardi Gras but sure looks like fun. Great floats!

13. Lisaman says:

We eat pancakes on Mardi Gras.. or Shrove Tuesday.. What is the bead thing all about!!

• I guess it symbolize celebration and indulgence. It is also called Fat Tuesday which happens before Fasting Wednesday. To me, it is a fun way to let go and just embrace a joyful day. Fun is fun regardless of the beliefs and history behind each events. Thanks.

14. Russ C. says:

this.. is… amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Love Bubba Gumps! Love Rita’s! And love your Maradi Gras!

16. angrygaijin says:

Whoo! That mango smoothie looks great!

I love that picture with the blue beads all kinda warped by their motion. Surreal!

Looks like you had a fun time. :)

what a fun activity It’s great to enjoy the events for everyone

18. elizz says:

what a fun post! happy valentine’s to you :)

19. ChgoJohn says:

What a great way to celebrate Mardi Gras and how wonderful that you kept it a surprise for your Son. Such a series of treats for him. That day just kept getting better and better!
    Thanks for sharing your day with us.

20. Freedomborn says:

Love and many blessings island Traveler for you and your family on your Valantines Day and for the days that follow. I enjoyed your pictures of the Mardi Gras, so very differant from some that we have in our Country, yours show genuine joy, not fake.

I Posted the Power point I promised you ( see link below) and linked your Post on Love, thank you for sharing from your heart. I wish you much inner Joy always.

Blog Post – http://freedomborn.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/7377/

Christian Love from us both – Anne.

• Thank you. Anne. I wanted to experience the event and share it through a child’s eye. Adults have their different version of fun during Mardi Gras which I bet is also exciting but through a child’s perspective, happiness comes in a pure, wholesome, lasting way. God bless you and Ron.

21. What a fun day with the fam! I love the colorful images journaling your day. My favorite pic was the close up of the hands catching the beads. What an awesome and unique photo!

22. Cheryl says:

I LOVE a parade … why is that?

• Parades brings back our happiest childhood memories and when we see a new one, the joy of the old and the excitement of the present collides in the most beautiful way. Thanks Cheryl.

23. munchow says:

Looks like you and your son had an awesome day at Galveston island Mardi Gras. The event was beautifully captured in your photos, still, my favourite picture is the one of your son running on the beach. Delightful and so spirited.

• Every time my son runs at the beach, time seems to freeze. It’s a combination of joy and freedom. A lot of my happiest memories happened close to the sea with my family around me. Thanks.

It looks like an All-American good fun event, and it’s always nice to see your little one smile. (you and the missus, too) I was taking part in a special event of my own last weekend, and have just finished blogging about it, or I’d have joined in on your challenge. (It was my daughter’s wedding)

Looks like it was very colorful. Loud too? For sure! Must have been fun. I hope your 02/14 celebration was good!

26. cassbee says:

Wow! Loved the pictures! I have never been to Mardi Gras and your pictures (of the parade especially) have me feeling like I’m caught right in the middle of it.

27. rommel says:

Ahhh…. the kind of Mardi Gras the kids will enjoy. Looks so lively. I haven’t gone in any parade for a long time, and I am now envying to go to one after seeing two posts about parades.
    Again, a very nice parent of you taking your kid out to see lively events such as this.
    I miss going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. :(

28. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Event « PragueByKaty

29. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life Challenge: Event « The Wish Factor

I’ve never been to Mardi Gras or a Mardi Gras-type of event either. I bet your son definitely enjoyed catching the beaded necklaces they tossed out. I like watching the bands and the trumpet and tuba guys getting their groove on…that was a good pic. And your lunch at Bubba Gumps? Definitely sounds awesome. I love that place. Very cool.

Here’s my take on your challenge and of course it has to do with sports :) Hope you enjoy.

31. Sounds like you had a fun filled family day at the beach!!! Fantastic!!! Love the beautiful photos and post!!! ~Sophia

Felt I was there IT! What an explosion of colour! Fab shots as usual :-)

33. Great photos–so festive! Anything you do all together is a special event, but what a visual feast on a very special day.

34. dearrosie says:

I’ve never been to a Mardi Gras but now thanks to you I feel as though I have. So interesting to see the floats, and the marching bands, and the beads…
    I’m glad you shared the photo of the ice cream. Mmmmm…

King Inebrius!!!! What a riot… You had fun I can tell. ;-)

36. Wow looks like you had a great time! So entertaining :) Thanks for sharing your day with us!

Great event! I’m still working on mine. Will be back later today. Sorry for being late.

38. Pingback: WEEKLY IMAGE OF LIFE: EVENT « Francine In Retirement

Here are a coupe of events I attended this pass summer. http://wp.me/p23TG1-2dy

40. lifeofaministermom says:

What vivid photos! The parade looks like it was an absolute blast, and I’m sure the marching bands were wonderful! These photos reminded me a bit of my university’s homecoming in Tuskegee, AL. I’m glad you and the family had a chance to attend this great celebration! This past weekend we traveled across the country for my brother-in-laws wedding, and what a wonderful event it was! http://lifeofaministermom.com/2013/02/19/weekly-image-of-life-event/

41. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Event « Life of a Minister Mom

42. Thanks Patricia. The wedding event you shared had me jumping for joy. Full of love, laughter, and happiness. You are blessed to have a loving family that strives to inspire each other. Beautiful smiles that lights the entire post.

43. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Blessing Of Hope | this man's journey