What We Do For Love

The Things We Do For Love

Normally, me and my wife keep our Valentine’s Day simple. A thoughtful card with a box of chocolates. Three red roses which obviously is trying to shout out loudly “I Love You.” Then a home cooked dinner or breakfast with our son. It is after all a day of celebrating togetherness and the people we love.

Island Traveler

We try to stay away from the crazy, crowded Valentine dinner at the restaurants. Personally, I find it a bit chaotic than romantic. Somehow this year, something changed.

About a week ago, my friend and her husband went to this amazing restaurant that serves the most delicious pork chops in Houston. Even more delicious is its romantic ambiance perfect for cupid’s day.

Island Traveler

Imaginary wine. We don’t drink so we had water instead.

At first, it was a surprise date that I planned for me and my wife. My son will be at school and we have the time all for ourselves which we hardly have. Dinner out is usually table for 3 which in all honesty I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, our car’s navigation system decided to retire and I had to ask my wife’s help for directions. Boom! Secret’s busted.

Coffee and rose petals? Totally romantic!

Coffee and rose petals? Only at Valentine’s Day.

“Aren’t we to old for this?” was my wife’s first statement when she found out I made a lunch reservation at Perry’s Steakhouse and Grille in Memorial City. I reacted quickly and said, “No, we’re not. Besides it’s just lunch.”

Before heading to Perry’s, we passed by Marshalls to pick my wife’s Valentine gift. A day before, she saw this red Italian leather bag which she showed me. I saw the glitter in her eyes expressing how much she liked it. It was a priceless joy seeing how happy she was when she found out what her gift was.

Island Traveler

I think diamonds are not a girl’s best friend as one famous song goes. It’s bags. There’s something about bags that a lot of women find irresistible? I still can’t crack the code. Any clues?

As we waited at the parking lot for the restaurant to open, she asked me, “So, what did you wrote when you made the reservation?” I replied, “That it’s Valentine’s Day. Oh, and that it’s also our anniversary.”

Island Traveler

“Oh my gosh, this is delicious,” muttered my wife as she ate a slice of the famous pork chops. She then added, “We’re definitely coming back here.” I replied, “The Prime Hawaiian Ribeye is delicious too.” We then started sharing our portions which by the way  was big enough to bring home as left overs.

Island TravelerValentine’s Day is not complete without sweets. For dessert, we had a heavenly trio of Vanilla bean crème brulée,  chocolate truffle, and praline cheesecake. The crème brulée alone was enough to make one’s heart beat like crazy.

Island Traveler

Before we left the restaurant my wife whispered, “Thank you for a wonderful Valentine’s Day.” I smiled back and said, “Your welcome. Thank you for being my Valentine.”

Island Traveler

About 7 P.M. after my son’s tutorial class he asked me and his mom, “Are we eating in a restaurant?” He knew it was a special day because he just gave his teacher a Valentine gift that morning and he went home with a little box full of Valentine cards, candies and stickers from his classmates. Just after I suggested a take out of pizza he started chanting, “Red Lobster, Red Lobster, Oh yeah, Oh yeah, Red Lobster.” Of all the restaurants, this is his favorite. His all time favorites are shrimp fettuccine and carrot cake.

Island Traveler

By the time we got to Red Lobster, the line was all the way outside the door. We had to tell him that the restaurant was full and that we’ll just find another place to eat. I wasn’t expecting him to cry but he did. I didn’t realize he was looking forward to go there to spend Valentine’s Day with me and his mom. He didn’t mention anything that morning. Okay, I should have read his mind.

We talked to him and explained the situation. We then added, “We can go to Carl’s Junior which is just close by. You do like their burger and sweet potato fries.” Wiping his tears he said, “Okay.”

As he lined up with his mom to order, he was already smiling and in a cheerful mood. We all enjoyed our burgers and fries as we exchanged stories and laughter.

Matching Play Cards from Carl's Jr. kiddie meal. We played twice before going to bed.

Matching Play Cards from Carl’s Jr. kiddie meal. We played twice before going to bed.

Just before he went to bed, we played “Who laughs first,” as we tried to out do each other in a tickle contest. He made the most laugh. After we read a book called Alphabet Rescue, we said our night prayers and I tucked him to bed. Before sleeping, he placed his right arm around my arm and said,”Dad, stay with me.” So I did until he fell to sleep.

Island Traveler

What makes a family tree? People that love and support each other in both the good times and the bad.

Today, I realized that Valentine’s Day is more than just about buying love theme stuff. It is about going out of our way to make the people we care about feel loved and appreciated. To let them know that what we do we do it out of love.

Whew! Valentine’s day can be intoxicating.

Thanks for sharing your day with me. Have a fun weekend.

This entry was posted in Events, family, Inspiration, Life, Love, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to What We Do For Love

1. dogear6 says:

That’s a wonderful way to spend Valentine’s Day. You’ll remember it for years which is priceless. Buying your wife the bag + lunch out at a nice place worked out wonderfully and each time she uses that bag, she’ll think how much you loved her.

Nancy

• Thanks Nancy. Least I could do for a wife who gave me so much of her heart and patience. Ha, ha, ha. I wish I did more of these in the past. Life is too short not to celebrate them in the most magical way. I guess what matters is now and what we do with it.

2. While the entire post is an ode to your Valentine, I really enjoyed the comment saying that “bags” rather than diamonds are really a girl’s best friend. Nicely said and observed. Have a lovely weekend.

• Thanks Sally. Yes, I do believe now that it’s bags rather that diamonds. Just observe during holiday sales and in stores which section has the longest line. In gatherings too, I often over hear women talking about bags with so much excitement.

3. What a great way to spend Valentine’s Day and if I’m ever in Houston, I want to try that restaurant. And, what a lovely red purse, one of my favorite colors. Have a great weekend and remember, you’ve got a year to plan the next one.

Sounds like the perfect Valentine’s Day to me. And there’s no code to crack on why women like bags….we just do :)

5. LyndaMichele says:

Omigosh when your son cried it made my eyes tear up :) I have 3 boys (one in college, the second one going this fall, which leaves the baby, who is nearly 16, lol) How sweet that he was looking so forward to the family dinner!

• Oh, wow! Three sons and all grown. That is really beautiful and amazing. Yes, my son is Mr. Restaurant. He thinks every time I’m off it’s special event time. This weekend we had Sushi, seafood, burgers, etc. It was a 3 day of International culinary delight. At the end of the day, what matters is that we celebrated the day as a family and that we make our love ones happy. Thanks.

6. liz2you says:

Thanks
    This was very long…… I tried to stop reading……. But glad I didn’t………. Now I too realize how this can be a time that families and children also feel the LOVE. The love we tend to think is just for two of us.(well it is, but let others share on Valentines Day!) Great!

7. Mazigrace says:

I felt the love! Thanks for sharing your precious day. And yes, I LOVE the bag too.

8. What a beautiful day :-) I so agree it’s about sharing love generously!

9. bulldog says:

You had a wonderful day and I thank you for sharing the love and joy that you have with your family… it reminds us oldies of what we had and what we now miss.. and to enjoy it whilst still young… a wonderful post… thank you…

10. wolke205 says:

What a great day you two had together <3 I will have to wait until the end of may until I see my hubby again – he s off with the army – so this Valentine's Day made me a bit sad. This post was so heartwarming – thanks for sharing my friend. All the best to you & your family :)

• I hope and pray for you hubby’s safety. I hope and pray that soon both of you will be together soon. Nothing more beautiful than being around the people you love. Belated Valentine’s Day my friend.

11. bluebrightly says:

You are a gem! Perfect – time for just the tow of you, and time for family – and beautiful pictures, too!

Your dessert looks heavenly!

13. Perry’s…OMG…that set you back a pretty penny. lol

We stayed home and I cooked, but then, we’ve had the “high life” just lately. Enjoyed spending the day with you. I was singing that song all the way through. (10CC?)

15. Gracie says:

Great way to spend Valentine’s day! Sometimes, I think sometimes we tend to forget what these special days are all about, glad to see the love is strong in your family :)

16. Pingback: It’s All About the Love « thelissachronicles

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful day with us, IT. ” … make the people we care about feel loved and appreciated” Is so well said. But, IT you do that every single day!!

18. Bee Kim says:

Thanks for sharing this. I said “Happy Valentine’s Day” to a friend who is in his 50s and he said “I’m too old to celebrate”. One can celebrate any day, any occasion at any age. Celebrating love and friendships is one of life’s most beautiful gifts. Kudos to those who continue to romance their spouse ….

What a lovely restaurant I also want to eat such delicious food and celebrate the day :)

20. ideflex says:

Bags are always a great gift – glad you all had a wonderful day!

This was simple? I’d hate to see what your definition of complicated, complex, or grand would be!

22. rommel says:

:lol: @ being busted.
    I’m eying that dessert trio. Hmmm … haven’t had me that. I must try trio dessert, because I can’t get enough of just one. Bwahahahaha
    Your son crying … so cute. Always nice to hear your family story, IT. Keep ‘em comin’.

23. Freedomborn says:

Hi dear Island Traveler , so good you had a nice Valantine’s Day and also your wife and son and very True, we are to seek to do things to encourage and uplift others.

You said once before that you were told a Home is where the heart is an this is True and a home is always decorated with Love, it’s foundation is Love and it’s view or it is not a home just a house,

This is the same as anything worthwhile that we do for others, if it’s not for Love it is empty and barren, that is why it is so wonderful that you seek to show Love not just to your family but others and also acceptance and compassion. Love is where the heart is and this can even be a Blog where your friends come and visit.

Christian Love from us both – Anne.

• Thanks Anne. Yes, “Home is where the heart is an this is True and a home is always decorated with Love, it’s foundation is Love and it’s view or it is not a home just a house.”
      Thank you for always sharing words of love, faith and encouragement. You are God’s light to all of us. God is love and his love is the truest of all. A love we all can find inspiration from. God bless to you and Ron.

24. Maya says:

Thank u for sharing your day … I enjoy reading your story. And oh, not all woman loves bag that makes they always want a new one. I still use my old bag bought 11 years ago! :)

25. ChgoJohn says:

Such a great way to spend Valentine’s Day! Have a wonderful Valentine’s lunch and let the afterglow carry you throughout the rest of the day. Thank you or sharing your day with us.

26. I love reading your blog, not just for all the interesting stories and beautiful images (which are a plus all themselves), but for the love that transpires through your words!
    Thanks for sharing your Valentine stories.
    BTW, what editing program do you use to get such saturated images?

What a lovely day you had……your wife is a lucky girl :-)

28. dearrosie says:

Great post IT. I salivated reading the description of your lunch and especially after seeing your photos; cried with your son; laughed with the card game… what a lovely day.
    oooh I love the bag you bought your wife. You are so thoughtful IT.

29. You have such a good eye for photography – making us all swoon over the delectable photographs of your meal. And I especially like the blue goblets against the red. Very nice indeed. And the bag was a very thoughtful gift. Diamonds are nice, but you are correct. We just can’t do without our bags!

30. What a great day you had! Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing!

31. MikeP says:

Well said… making the effort and being together are most important. Tell your son I feel his pain, RL is my fav too. :-)

What a wonderful day for both of you… Happy Valentine’s to you… We just love bags and the feeling of security they offer; everything fits in it and nothing’s lost. ;-)

It looks like you had a wonderful Valentines! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    The food looks really yummy, especially that prime rib!

34. Hi,

What jumped out at me was your closing line, ” To let them know that what we do we do it out of love.” As we strip all aspects of materialism and ” better than thou” competitiveness from the occasion, what remains is the pure of essence of “giving & sharing”. How do we change our world to hold this perspective every day of our lives?

Loved the post.

Shakti

This was a great post and the food looked amazing. It made my Valentine’s Day meal look sad :) But I was happy for you. And you’re right bags are definitely a way to many women’s hearts.

Hey I’ve nominated you for an award.

36. Tammy says:

I love the red bag that you got her! What a lovely outing.

37. No one is too old or too young to celebrate Valentine’s day, thus to celebrate the love and affection we have for other persons. A beautiful day for you I can see, and although your son could not eat at the place he wanted, the most important thing was that he was with you and his mom to enjoy this special in the end :) Until the end.

38. What a happy day! The photos are beautiful, and the story is even more so.