More Than Just A Kiss

I really don’t have much pictures that captured “Kiss” literally but I have one picture which reminds me every time why a kiss should be more than just a kiss.

Island Traveler

I shared this picture before but today, I just want to remember that love can endure the tests of time and that “Happily Ever After” stories are real.

Island Traveler

To mom and dad, Thanks for inspiring us your children what love is everyday. For helping us see the good in others despite of their flaws. To love without conditions. To love with all your heart even if there are risks for heartbreak.

Kiss comes in many forms. It can be between two cups of shared brewed coffee at the start of each new day. My wife and I discovered this 1 dollar cup from Starbucks about the size of a Grande.  We share one order for a price of one and customize each cup the way we like it. She likes her coffee without sugar sprinkled with Vanilla mix with half and half creamer. I like mine with Vanilla, Cinnamon, honey and creamer as well.

Kiss comes in many forms. It can be between two cups of shared brewed coffee at the start of each new day. My wife and I discovered this 1 dollar cup from Starbucks about the size of a Grande. We share one order for a price of one and customize each cup the way we like it. She likes her coffee without sugar sprinkled with Vanilla mix with half and half creamer. I like mine with Vanilla, Cinnamon, honey and creamer as well. In the real world, no matter how different we are, there is always a way to share something in common as long as the heart is willing to give.

On the sunny side of things, I’m revising a “Sun-kissed” inspired post I made 2 years ago. It reminds me that life is all about adventures and choices. It is about chances and moments as well. Chances and moments we need to make not because we had to but because we love to.

The Sun-Kissed Beach Of Galveston Island State Park

The beach always holds a special place in my heart. For some reason, being near to it makes me feel that I’m close to home. It brings about wonderful memories as comforting as the gentle waves caressing my feet.

Every Summer my family and I would visit the Galveston Island State Park, a coastal gem at the west end of the island. The pristine beach offers solace from the hectic city life.

My son was staring at the waters, pointing to the Pelicans resting on the Pier’s worn out deck. He didn’t notice I was staring at him from a rear view mirror. He had this big smile on his face.

As we walked towards the beach, I felt the sun’s kiss on my skin and my heart raced faster than the pace of my feet.

Carrying his fishing rod, my son followed me or was I following him?

The view was breathtaking that day. It made me feel that anything was possible. A kite was hovering above us which made us stop for a while and we just stared at the vast blue sky.

My son saw a couple of kids playing with their colorful buckets. They would fill them up with both sand and sea water. He tugged my arm and whispered, ” can you ask their mom if I can play with them?”  I was surprised by his request. Normally, he initiates the conversation when he meets new friends but today he was being shy. Anyway, I spoke to the mom who was more than happy that he plays with her children.

I sat on our red folding chair while I watched him play excitedly with the other kids. For some reason I kept staring at the bright-colored buckets. Some full of water, others halfway filled while others were empty. It reminded me of a person’s memories, his hopes and dreams in life. I felt sad for a moment as I remembered a piece of my childhood memory.

For as long as I can remember, a lot of my happy memories involves the beach. When I was about 6-7 years old, my parents would bring the family for a barbecue picnic at the beach during weekends. Back in those days we don’t have  fancy floating devices so we improvised. We would use the cover of the styrofoam coolers as our body boards and the inflated inner lining of the truck’s rubber tire as our float tubes. It was always a fun time for everyone. I miss those precious and wonderful years with my parents and siblings. I felt my heart ached a bit.

I could hear my son calling another boy to play frisbee with him. My son’s laughter was as crisp and clear as the skies above me. It was a hot day. The Sun was scorching. I love the golden tan color but I felt my skin burning. I covered my back with the beach towel and wore my son’s cowboy hat. I probably looked silly since it was too small for my head. I didn’t care.

I had to get out of my chair and join my son with the other kids. They were heading towards the deeper waters. They discovered how fun it was to play with the waves. They would jump as the wave comes their way. Sometimes my son gets toppled down and I would pick him up quickly. He was having a blast. I’m happy that he was ecstatic. I was a child once and I know that this moments are priceless. It’s also an important part of his childhood.

I heard my son telling me from a distance, ” Dad, I’m hungry. Where’s the food?” I kept looking inside the bag and I can’t find any. I didn’t realize my wife placed it inside a separate paper bag. I told him I left it the car and that we had to go back and get it. He said, ” dad, you’re in trouble.” I replied, ” well, I didn’t know. Come on, we need to go back.” He answered back confidently, ” you can leave me here. I can wait.” I looked at him seriously and said, ” no, you can’t. You’re coming with me.” He did look tired and hungry so I carried him on my shoulders.

We had some delicious cheese croissant with sweet mangoes for our “brunch.” We were so hungry that we finished every bit of whatever was in our picnic bag.

Before going home, we went to the RV Camping site, I saw an old couple playing cards inside a covered picnic cubicle, It was one of the sweetest and endearing images I’d ever seen. I wish to be like them when I grow old. Side by side, hand in hand, forever in love in this lifetime.

Every day we have chances to make Sun-kissed memories like these. Memories that makes our heart glows with delight when we remember how happy we were during those moments.

Thanks for sharing your day with me. May this post made you remember that kiss that made you smile the happiest.

Related articles

This entry was posted in family, Inspiration, Life, Love, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to More Than Just A Kiss

Such a wonderful thing to pop into my reader. Here I am, longing to be sun-kissed, on this grey English day, and already you’ve worked the magic. I’m basking in the sunshine of your words.

2. bulldog says:

what a wonderful post again of family love and closeness… I do enjoy your blog.. gives me a good feeling every time I read one… thank you…

Lovely post again. Love the pic of your mom and dad kissing. :) Those sun-kissed memories are very special.

4. love the pics, as usual :)

5. friendlytm says:

Wonderful family ! Very warm and lovely post. Thanks.

ahh it’s lovely to see your happy mum and dad again!

7. This is my favorite post ever! I love the imagery, I love the storytelling, I love the flashes of insight that come from two cups of coffee or the elderly couple playing cards. Thank you so much for sharing your life and insights with us.

8. Loved these photos and the pics of Galveston brought back memories. I can remember sitting in those warm Texas waters. These are good memories on a chilly winter day in New England! Thanks for following Lillie-Put by the way. I hope it greatly inspires…

9. rommel says:

Great flashbacks, IT. Nice to see your parents again, and rediscover your other ganders from the past.

• The past holds the key to the present. Plus, it’s always gives me a reason to smile when I look back on the people who gave me so much amazing memories. Thanks.

10. thirdeyemom says:

Beautiful especially the picture of your mom and dad.

11. While you were contemplating the challenge, you were able to recall precious moments with family and friends. These challenges become more than the sum of their parts–they prod our treasured memories. Yours are marvelous.

12. Oh no. Thank YOU! It’s always great fun to hear about your sun-kissed days. ;-)

13. bebs1 says:

More lovely memories.
    Did you photo-process your pics this time? The colors are more intense in a good way.

• I did. There are times when the Sun is glaring to much or is against it that the images are dark and distorted. Unfortunately, I did not keep the original which now I learned I should. Thanks.

14. dogear6 says:

The beach IS a great place for memories. I loved the photos and stories, especially about your son. The photos of your parents was the greatest. I’m glad you shared them.

Nancy

• Thanks Nancy. If only my parents are close by then I can have more images of the joy and love they share in this world. But for now, I have a few to go by which reminds me always of the great times I had with them.

Enjoyed this very much. Mwa mwa!

16. munchow says:

A beautiful tribute to you mother and father – and to love. And then I enjoyed feeling sun-kissed. The pictures from the beach Of Galveston Island State Park are gorgeous. So rich and full of beauty. As always from you.

17. ChgoJohn says:

That photo of your Mom & Dad is a hard act to follow but your post didn’t disappoint. It was a beautiful day on the beach, one which you conveyed perfectly, by both word and photographic image. Well done!

The pictures of your parents is so beautiful… and I’ll take two of those $1 Starbucks coffees. ;-)

Beautiful pictures, thoughts, and stories, as always! Thank you for sharing those loving moments!

20. bluebrightly says:

Your posts consistently express so much love and appreciation, and tenderness. It’s a pleasure to read and look at them.

21. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

My happy memories are tied to the beach too, Island Traveller – that’s what shone here the most to me. Of course, as usual, your photos are great.

Bless you. I love to come by as I NEVER FAIL to be inspired or warmed, or caused to reminisce. Sincerely, N’n.

22. angrygaijin says:

I justed learned from watching the American drama Lost that “Poppo” in Korean is a word for kiss. Very cute, I thought!

love the Starbucks cup “kiss” moment. i remember the sun-kissed post and loved reading it when you first posted but classic things never lose its appeal. :)

Beautiful memories and photos. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for you and your family! We have summer in Australia right now. Your photos remind me to take time out to go to the beach, which really isn’t very far from where we live.

25. Aww lovely photos and unforgettable moments :) Indeed, a kiss is much more than just a kiss. So much more; it’s all about personal interpretation.

Wow! What a lovely set of photos of the beach!!! :D The beach is the best playground for everyone. I love it!

27. Imelda says:

Blessed are those with loving parents and parents who love each other deeply. They are a great inspiration and source of strength in life. How blessed you are to have them.

Your photos are awesome. You should have a wonderful family album. :-)

28. There is so beauty in the love of a couple that has been together a long time and continue to love each other. They showcase the benefits of what enduring the difficulties of a marriage can bring – a special kiss.
    God Bless …