iPhoneography: Being Lost In The Details

Iphoneography is a unique art of creating beautiful images of day-to-day life and events. Once you start clicking to capture your first pictures, there is no turning back. Forward we go to an amazing world of adventure and discovery. A world we often missed but now face with burning passion. We no longer wait for things to happen. We make things happen.

Island Traveler

The Sun, the eye and apple. The best part of taking pictures with my phone is the surprise it makes. When I took this photo, all I saw was the glaring Sun followed by dark spots on my eye. When I was about to edit the picture, I saw this symbols reflecting on my hand. I can interpret them in many ways. One of them is that there is a higher power above us making sure everything will be alright.

This week’s photo challenge is about being Lost in the details which pretty much what happens when we are totally into capturing those picture perfect images.

Island Traveler

We don’t need complicated skills nor tons of reading materials to make a great picture. All we need are three basic things.

1. First, we need an iPhone or any smart phone with an outstanding camera features. It’s all about getting the best resolution that will create clear and crisp pictures. Convenience, features and cost counts as well.

Island Traveler

2. Invest on a camera App that enhance even the worst of images. There are lots of them out there. So far, I only tried Camera +. It works for me and has not given me reasons to try others. Perhaps in the future I will try others for comparison sake.

Island Traveler

3. We need to bring our camera phone with us wherever we go. Every minute is an opportunity to capture the day’s exciting events. The key to perfection is constant practice. Lots of practice. Every place we go and every person we meet becomes an instant source of inspiration.

Island Traveler

These pictures were taken at a park in Sugarland Texas. Looks like any other park but with the right effects it can be transformed into something surreal.

Island Traveler

I often use the rapid burst mode of my camera App to capture moving subjects. It’s great in capturing my son when he is at play and running all over the place. It not only saves me time but it assures me that no moments are missed. I then select an effect that will enhance the picture’s clarity and color. My rule is “just click, click, click and later delete” the ones that  I don’t like. Works so far.

To me, the most beautiful and magical images are the one's where my family is in it. Seeing my son grow and discover the blessings of this world never fails to take my breathe away. Kind of similar when I start chasing him on the many adventures we did together. Life is good no matter how it drives me crazy sometimes.

To me, the most beautiful and magical images are the one’s where my family is in it. Seeing my son grow and discover the blessings of this world never fails to take my breathe away. Kind of similar when I start chasing him on the many adventures we did together. Life is good no matter how it drives me crazy sometimes.

Island Traveler

There are limits to what an iPhone camera can do. First, its zooming feature is poor and captures blurry images. Second, its flash feature at night creates bad-looking pictures. So bad I stop using it long time ago. This is where those DSLR cameras comes in. Third, it’s not water proof and unless we invest on a costly waterproof casing, it’s never a good idea to use it on any body of water. I almost dropped mine at a pier which taught me a huge lesson.

Island Traveler

Island Traveler

Whatever motivates us to use our camera phones what matters is that we have fun doing it. Personally, I think it’s one of the best inventions there is and I don’t mind being lost in its details again and again.

Thanks for sharing your day with me. I hope you and your smart phone will have many exciting adventures ahead.

What’s you camera phone experience? What’s your favorite and why?

This entry was posted in photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

104 Responses to iPhoneography: Being Lost In The Details

1. lifeofaministermom says:

These are all great pictures and I appreciate learning some great info about capturing better photos too! Love the one of the water feature. You’re amazing my friend!!

Blessings!

Patricia

2. Great photo’s! The first one is awesome, Island Traveler :)

YOur photos show just what great results can be had form camera phones, well done! I carry mine all the time and get quite good results to post on lucid gypsy. It may not be as good as my dslr but its there when I need it. :-)

4. sandraconner says:

What great photos! I especially love the hand and the bridge.

5. friendlytm says:

Hi, I wrote a long comment but was lost. This post is very interesting to me because i am an iPhone user , using it as my camera to take photos and videos as well. Please take a look at my South America posts. Except a few videos on food, all other videos and pictures were taken by my iPhone. There were only a few nice pix from my friends.

When iPhone 5 publicized its retina, I started to use it as my camera when I travel. The videos are so convenient to take, that it has become my new hobby.

But the term iphoneography is new to me! Too bad that APPLE does not give us promotion fees!

• Apple company should right? My wife actually wants the Samsung Galaxy III or the note. It does look cool with better features. I’m conservative so I will probably get a 4S or 5 when the time comes. Would you believe I still have the 4 with its slow 3G? Still works though. Thanks.

• friendlytm says:

Samsung Galaxy is very very popular. I love iPhone because of its retina feature, I bought my IPad 2 first, and loved it. But then when iPad 3 came out, I regret for not waiting, as iPad 3 has retina. It makes a big difference using it as a camera.

6. ChgoJohn says:

Thanks for writing such a great post, full of so much useful info. Your photos are beautiful. I’ve a new iPhone but little experience using its camera. I need to break it out and just start snapping away. It’s the only way I’m going to learn its strengths and shortcomings. Thanks, too, for the app info. I’ll be sure to check them out.

I never cease to be amazed at the capabilities of an Iphone! I think you excel at it more than others :-)

8. Interesting, but I don’t have a iPhone. My camera is Canon PowerShot ELPH110HS that I always keep charged with extra memory cards in my pocket or purse. I carry with me everywhere to capture those unexpected moments. I find no flash works best. I make sure to keep the strap around my wrist so I won’t drop it. PS: One of America’s top professional photographers, recently started posting some of his iPhone photographs(I’m impressed) on Facebook (Dewitt Jones) or his website is: http://www.dewittjones.com/

• I believe I had a canon powershot too, only older version. Still works which reminds me to use it more often. It’s handy too as compared to the bulkier DSLR cameras. To me, convenience plays a big role when it comes to which camera to bring. I’m a bit lazy and I don’t like carrying lots of stuff. Thanks for sharing.

They are nice photos. I also have iphone and I know that it can make an interesting world. Sometimes, they are better than a real camera.

10. What a detail! Wow! That you got the image of the apple. You always capture wonder.

• Thanks Georgette. The first picture was pure luck. I have no idea it will capture those symbols. Like life, sometimes amazing things happen when we least expect it.

11. Terrific that you did a post on iPhoneography–really enjoyed all your images. Thanks for mentioning my post on the iPhoneography Monday Challenge. Hope that you’re going to join soon. I always give a Tip of the Week, which offers other information and sources about iPhone Art and Mobile Photography.

12. Amazing what a little phone can do now! I am on the verge of upgrading my smartphone due to its lacking camera quality alone because it would be so nice to have the ability to take shots like these even without true stand-alone camera in hand ~ Kat

13. ideflex says:

Looks like your having lots of fun – never thought i’d say it but I do love my iphone!

• Among its features, it is the camera part that kept me from changing my phone to another brand. I’m crossing my finger I’ll upgrade from iphone 4 to 5. Thanks.

14. I agree with you I.T.! Cameraphones are my fave invention of the past 10yrs. The clarity and quality of photos they give us is pretty damn great. Not to mention how EASY it makes documenting everyday stuff whose importance FAR outweighs the “big events” to which we toted analog cams a generation ago!
    Cameraphones allow us to become as comfortable as celebrities at photoshoots..:) I know I’m far less uneasy having my picture taken now that’s it so commonplace.
    Great post, my friend! And your imag3320? Spectacular!!!

15. Wow, I say Wow! My iPone doesn’t take nearly that good of photographs. I have the 4G, maybe that is my problem. What are you using? Also, do you edit the photos on your phone? Or do you upload them to your computer?? If my phone would shoot images like this, I wouldn’t have to carry my beast of a camera around with me so much. K, you are going to have to walk me through this one! :-)

• Thanks Darla. Guess what? I’m using an even older model. You just need to find an app that works great on your images. There’s a lot out there. It allows you to edit the pics as soon as you take them . If you decide to get an App, update me. I will be more than happy to share whatever experience I have.

16. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Lost In The Details | Flickr Comments

17. Fabulous photos and tips – thank you :-)
    I love love love taking photos and I use my iphone for most of the photos on my blog too. The iphone has an amazing camera – I am so pleased with it.
    Do you edit or photoshop your photos at all?
    Beautiful post!

18. Talkerhuge says:

amazing pics, some of them looks like painting!!! really really artistic, I like your way to shoot! ;-)

19. Mazigrace says:

Especially LOVE the Sun, the Eye and Apple. Great perspective on the phone camera usage. I am an SLR digital user and a Droid user. The early inventors of the camera would not have dreamed how far we’ve advanced with photography, would they?

• Thanks. Smartphones nowadays are replacing the digital cameras for many reasons. DSLR on the other hand has its advantages. The only thing about it is that its bulky and not flexible unlike the camera phones.

20. I love my iphone camera because it’s always with me. My Canon takes great shots but doesn’t fit as well in my pocket. I love your walk with us as you take these different shots – so many beautiful details
    Thanks!!!

• Thank you. I too love my bigger camera’s picture but unfortunately, it’s a lot of inconvenience. So, it’s what’s practical to us that ends up being used the most. Imagine a party full of people using their DSLR for the sake of better pictures? Crazy!

Very cool, IT! That is impressive!

22. kz says:

really wonderful shots!

23. gourmandchic says:

I do use my iPhone a lot and find that in many cases it can capture something faster than a DLSR. However, still love my Nikon D90 that I use for traveling. Great post. I love it and have encountered the same issues you have with my iPhone. Still love it though!!! I rarely care a small camera anymore. Point and shoots no longer exist in my world :)

• Thanks my friend. Camera phones are so handy. Yesterday, I had both my DSLR and iPhone and guess what who gave up first in terms of battery supply? The DSLR does create very crisp, clear images. I hope they make it smaller in the future and less complicated.

24. I agree with gourmandchic. Although it has some shortcomings, I love my iPhone. This was a very informative post. Always enjoy your photos, IT.

25. The clarity in your photo’s is outstanding. I think your subjects for the details has a great deal of merit. It’s those little things that are lost in trying to ge the magic shot. Wonderful entries …..

26. Nice captures. Most of my photos are with my iPhone as well. Very convenient to carry around too.

love the iPhone camera & love how you are using yours to capture some great moments. top that with your wonderful uplifting words…that’s why you’re the man!! great post. :)

28. Connie T says:

I don’t have a camera phone. Your pictures are wonderful.

29. Paula says:

These are amazing IT :) and this sun, apple and eye shot is mind-boggling :D Congratulations!

30. Very instructive post, thank you! I just started taking camera phone pics with Intention. Hopefully, they will come out better with these tips. I am pretty weak with my photo skills.

31. Indira says:

Very very beautiful photographs. Stunning.

32. bluebrightly says:

Hi there – this is a great post – I agree, it’s the surprise and the lack of control that make phone photos fun. That first shot is really wonderful!

33. Freedomborn says:

Thank you Island Traveler, I’m sure many will have gained help from your instruction in using iPhones, the photographs were amazing, I loved the fountain, they always remind me of the Fountain of Life. My Hobby is very different then yours although I do use photos as I share God’s Creation with others like you do but I really appreciate the gift you have and that you use it too bless others.

God bless you and your family greatly and I look forward to your sharing with us again.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

• Thanks Anne. God gives us different gifts. Each one unique and beautiful. What matters is that we use them for God’s glory and for inspiring our community. God bless you always.

34. Pingback: Say Cheese! March is Phoneography Month: when the joy is in the picture | bridgesburning

35. Naomi says:

I know this park and you have truly made it seem magical! I can’t decide which picture I like the most… a great problem to have.

36. Cheryl says:

Simply fabulous … photos and recommendations. On my way to check out that App, Mr. B.

These are great photos, IT! I use my iPhone too for almost all of my pictures. It’s such a convenient and very good device to capture a lot of things. I also use Camera+. My daughter suggested it. Do you know Diptic? Check it out. You might enjoy it too. It’s fun!

38. Gracie says:

Excellent series of photos, island traveler!

39. rommel says:

I don’t use Iphone nor do major tweaking on the pictures I capture. Though, I don’t discredit anyone who do as I love seeing any great-looking pictures. It’s all in perspective anyway. And yeah, Iphonography is just like having a DSLR like I do where what the actual view is being processed for both devices. .

40. Purely.. Kay says:

I just LOVE this post. My friend your photos have gotten more and more stunning as the years go by. Amazing

• Thanks Kay. We all learn and grow in whatever we are passionate about. I’m just blessed that fate led me to beautiful places and met amazing people, starting with my wife and son who are often present during my adventures.

41. Sartenada says:

Great photos all – I love all of them.

I am using old (three years) Nokia E7 smart phone. Its camera is excellent, videos are great, very reliable and what is the best when living on cold area, it works even if it would be very cold, so its screen is not freezing.

Nowadays Nokia has made Windows mobiles (Nokia Lumia), but I am not yet interested in them because Nokia has not its 41 megapixel camera in its Windows model. Nokia’s 41 megapixel camera exists already (Nokia Pureview 808), but not in its Windows mobile as I said. Maybe next summer, so are rumors. Nokia uses in its mobile phones Carl Zeiss lenses. BTW Carl Zeiss makes high quality lenses.

• I need to check this out. I always knew that there are a lot of amazing camera phones out there but afraid to get out of my comfort zone and try something different. There is always something new to learn from one another. Thanks.

42. 2e0mca says:

I have an observed paradox for you – I’m less visible to the ordinary person on the street when taking candid shots than the cameraphone user despite using a very large DSLR. People have forgotten what a normal camera looks like but they know when someone’s pointing a phone at them!

Very nice set of shots :-)

• That’s a cool, eye-opener paradox my friend. You are right. With a skilled artist using DSLR from a distance they would be almost invisible to the subject whereas smartphones requires you to be that close…too close in most instance. Thanks.

43. Wow your photos are amazing! At first I would always use my basic Sony camera all the time, but today I find myself using my phone every time I want to capture a picture. I guess it’s because my phone is always with me and the photos are less big in size, thus quicker to upload and to use in my blog posts.

44. dearrosie says:

Thank you for sharing your photography skills with us.
    Your photos are all excellent IT – my favorite is the one of your son running on the bridge.

45. Su Leslie says:

Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing them.

46. Thanks. My son inspires me to see the things around me as larger than life. To truly see, feel and live.

47. Pingback: You won’t believe the Latest Sony digital 1G pixel | Freedomborn…set free

48. jannece says:

Your photos are so overwhelming as always. And I agree on this caption – Don’t let life’s opportunities pass us by. Celebrate and capture what you can today for tomorrow is another day. The things we see now may no longer be there tomorrow. That, made my passion for photography aflame even more. Wish I could grab a new camera soon. :-) I felt I have been missing a lot of actions after reading your post.

49. Thank you for sharing generously. It’s a joy to share our passions for something good and beautiful in a bigger community that supports and inspires each other. Have a great day!

50. Pingback: Lunch In My Neighbourhood | The Urge To Wander

51. After seeing Madhu’s iphone photos on Urge to Wander and a mention of your blog, I thought I’d pop over and check it out. Great information and I love the photos here.

I do have a question. We plan on traveling outside the US and were told that if we take our iPhones we could wind up being charged significant roaming fees. I’d love to take our iPhone to connect with those traveling with us and to use to take photos. Is there any way to take it and not get stung with a huge phone bill? Thank you.

• Thanks for stopping by. As for roaming fees, I’m afraid they are expensive. You can buy a cheap local cellphone while abroad and get a prepaid phone card. You can still use your iPhone for taking pictures/videos which what I did when I went home last year in the Philippines. The Wi fi also works as long as there is a service like local coffee shops. Have a great trip.

52. willmeneke says:

nice phone photos – you are quite creative capturing the reflection in the 3rd photo from the top
    and thank you for visiting my blog