Wildlife Getaway

We live in a world that can easily stressed us out. Work, family, financial, health, social and personal issues are just some of the many reasons that will make us say, “I need a break and get away from it all!”  No matter how transient, we deserve to give ourselves that dream getaway to just slow down, relax, reflect and recuperate. Life is too short not pamper ourselves with little bits of happiness.

My Weekend Getaway

It’s funny how sometimes we make plans and during the last-minute, things change that requires us to make a quick detour from our original plan.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Last week was my son’s Spring Break. Unfortunately, it was also my long week to work. We did have 3 days to spare which was more that enough to create happy memories for the family.

Originally, we were planning to go to Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch, then head to San Antonio’s Riverwalk for an overnight stay followed by a fun trip at Six Flags the next day. Whatever was left, we were hoping to spend it at the Tangier Outlet in San Marcos. A win-win plan for all.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Several days before our trip, my son got sick. Not only did our plans changed but he also missed his much awaited first field trip at Houston Zoo. He cried that morning when he found out that he can’t go. That broke my heart but he still had a high-grade fever.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

I guess our prayers were heard. Saturday morning, my son was totally fine but we all woke up late. Driving 3 hours to San Antonio sounded impractical. Since the Spring Break getaway was really meant for my son, I asked him, “Where do you want to go?” He simply said, “Where we used to see and touch the animals, dad”

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

We discovered Bayou Wildlife Park in Alvin Texas by accident about 4 years ago but haven’t been there for the last 2 years. I told my wife, “Hey, instead of going to the zoo, why not we revisit the Bayou Wildlife? Our son always had a great time there.” She smiled back and said, “Sounds good.”

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

As we entered the park’s entrance we were greeted by several animals. First one was a very friendly Llama. He peeked inside our car and started eating our bucket of pellets. We all screamed in joy and excitement. Can’t believe that there were so many animals just waiting to meet us and be fed. It turned out the park just opened and the animals were all hungry, active and very sociable. We were really lucky.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Second was the wide-eyed emu who scared me at first with her big eyes and sharp beak. I was freaking out that she might poke my face as her head curiously went inside the window at the driver’s side. I was wrong. She was totally adorable.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

The third magnificent creäture we met was the Scimitar Oryx. I just felt bad that the owners had to cut his horns for the safety of the visitors.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

By the time we reached the parking lot, the car was full of food pellets including the jacket I had to wear that day. I didn’t mind. A tiny inconvenience for a priceless fun. After quickly cleaning the car, I followed my son towards the gator pond and found a couple of alligators basking under the Sun.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Next activity was horse back riding.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Finally, it was time to ride the tram truck that goes around the different sections of the park. The adventure continues. Hooray!

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Everywhere we saw different species of deers.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

We also saw several kinds of cattles including the endangered Gaur cattle.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Everyone back out a bit when the ostrich started eating the pellets. Upclose, it felt like it was about to poke our heads. It didn’t. Whew!

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Mr. Camel followed the rear of the truck. He kept chewing something. I was tempted to ask him if he had a gum.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ Animal Wildlife

One of my favorite animals in the park were the Zebras. I wish the driver stopped longer for us to really appreciate its stunning beauty.

Island Traveler?this man's journey/ Animal Wildlife

Equally beautiful were the family of giraffes. One of the female was pregnant and will give birth in the next few months.

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

As the goat’s front legs went up and touched by son’s arms, he shouted excitedly, “Oh,my gosh! Oh, my gosh!” I just watched and observed him for a while. He looked really happy.  Quietly I told myself, “Mission accomplished!”

Island Traveler/this man's journey/ wildlife animals

Today’s Weekly Image of Life is titled “Getaway.”

Everyday we are given chances to enjoy life. To just escape from our worries and make a quick getaway from it all. They may not last forever but it’s long enough to fill our hearts with happiness and serenity that will inspire us to face another challenging day.

What is your dream getaway?

Thank you for sharing your day with me.

Discover the world of these blogger friends.

Hardik Gohil of  http://mang0pe0ple.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/weekly-image-of-life-believe/

Isadora of  http://insidethemindofisadora.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/nurture-yourself-believe/

Francine of  http://francineinretirement.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/weekly-image-of-life-believe/

Patricia of  http://lifeofaministermom.com/2013/03/14/weekly-image-of-life-believe/

For those who wish to join in this week’s challenge, here’s a link and the widget. Have a great time making wonderful memories.

Images taken using an iPhone 4 camera with Camera + App and Nikon 1 J1.

This entry was posted in Travels, Weekly Image Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

100 Responses to Wildlife Getaway

Sometimes it’s nice just to stay close to home. Not today though, because it’s freezing here! Happy your son is well and enjoying life again.

2. I will have to remember this for when grandson comes to visit. This sounds like fun!

• I bet he will love it. Read you post on Bluebonnets. I’m hoping to catch some first week of April. Looks like me and my family will have some fun road trip at the Hill Country soon. Thanks.

3. Another visual scrapbook recording your family’s memories. Such experiences are precious. Enjoy your weekend.

4. bulldog says:

I enjoy these outings with you and the family…

5. ideflex says:

What a wonderful day! My own Miss Z still loves the petting zoo but is too big to ride the ponies!

• There is something about petting zoos that make us feel like little kids all over again. We do need to feel this way every now and then. They also remind us that happiness do come in simple things/ways. Thanks.

6. Mazigrace says:

What a beautiful way to share your day with your family and friends here at WordPress. Your son will remember all these wonderful things you take the time to do with him. The animals are amazing. Love their expressions!!!

Wow, this looks like a great place! Glad the plan worked out!

8. Gracie says:

Wonderful story, island traveler. The awesome photos were great addition too. It felt like I was there exploring the park too.

9. mariannegv says:

Cool! I would love to feed those animals.

10. What a wonderful experience to get up close to those amazing animals. I find that often it is those unplanned trips that turn out to be the most memorable.

11. Hardik Gohil says:

Wonderful trip and great photos. Here is my entry:

12. munchow says:

I think it’s great that you actually asked your son what he preferred to do, instead of just going ahead with whatever was planned – or what was left of the plans. I am sure it made for a much better day for everybody. As always your story about your sons exploration of the world – this time Bayou Wildlife Park – both in words and pictures are touching and down to earth. Very nice, my friend, and thank you for taking us along.

• He is at that age that he already knows what he wants for most of the time. Sometimes he would say, “I don’t know dad. What do you want?” Most of the time, what I want is what he wants. We both love the outdoors although he also love the mall( Lego Store) which he got from his mom. Ha, ha, ha. Thanks.

Well I think you chose the best place for a day out. I’ve never seen a cow with horns that big and the giraffes with their long eyelashes are my favourites! Happy days :-)

14. Colline says:

I am not surprised your son loves to go there – touching and feeding the animals is quite an experience – even for adults! Even though you had to change plans, looks like you had a great getaway.

It’s great that you always try to make time for some fun getaways with your wife and son. Another series of beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• The older I get, the more I realize I don’t have much time and so, I try my best to create as much happy memories with my family as I can. One day, when I’m gone, I hope I leave enough fun times for my family to smile and be joyful about. Life’s too short not to make the most amazing memories my friend. Thanks.

I don’t know where you went but it is a beautiful place that reminds me of my ancestral home… Beautiful. Sometimes we have no choice but to take the time off and focus on what matters most – our family. I know you understand and even I can’t believe how I just stopped blogging even with drafts in my files and posts written and ready to deliver. But, when we have to attend to crises, we just drop everything and go, no regrets. TY my friend. I love coming here to pause and inhale. TY! :-)
    Eliz

• “Sometimes we have no choice but to take the time off and focus on what matters most – our family. ” I 100% agree. When our family needs us, everything else has to wait. Thanks for being a generous blogger friend. Wishing you and your family all the best.

What a wonderful place to touch animals for kids. :)

18. ChgoJohn says:

Such a great spot to spend the day. And if you’re a young boy, it doesn’t get much better. Too bad the Li’l Guy was sick enough that you had to cancel plans but, I daresay, things worked out pretty good in the end. After a while, memories of amusement parks tend to merge into one. That trip to the Wildlife Park, however, will remain a singular memory that he won’t forget — nor will you. :)

19. This getaway looks amazing! I just love all the animals and I’m so glad your son got a ‘make up’ day. And, man! What are you feeding that boy!?!? He is getting so tall! :-)

I love zoo!!! I just don’t know why, but I always find I’m happy when looking at animals. :D They look too cute.

• Part of our childhood adventure is being close to animals. I always dreamt of a Safari getaway after watching Tarzan as a kid. It was even in black and white then. Oops….that old huh? Thanks.

21. The greatest treasures are the unexpected ones. When we see life through the innocent eyes of children, we see gifts far beyond what moeny can buy. Where there is love, all difficulties are overcome. A disappointment was erased with a wealth of memories.
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Isadora http://insidethemindofisadora.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/nurture-yourself-imagine-love/
    p.s. Thank you for adding my link to this post.

• Thanks for sharing the link. I too would like to imagine my life and those around with filled with love, peace and happiness. Three priceless gifts no money can ever buy.

You create so many beautiful memories for your family. I love the zoo but I’ve always wanted go to a wildlife ranch where you could get close to the animals. Because of your post I will plan a getaway to the neighboring state this summer to visit one. Thank you for sharing your trip. Thank you for also listing my site.

23. You are so amazing at creating wonderful family getaways! You are a great inspiration!
    Thanks for taking me along and for the great photos :-)

This was such great fun! Thanks for taking us on the ride!

25. Cheryl says:

Nothing more magical than a successful impromptu family outing, Mr. B.

26. becky6259 says:

I’m so glad your son got better and was able to enjoy this magical day — it looks like he had a lot of fun!

27. What a great day. I’m glad your son had an opportunity to do this with your family.
    Years ago, our family went on one of those tours. We rented a vehicle instead of using our own and I’m glad we did. The monkeys jumped on the roof of one car and began tearing the material off it (cloth or something). Funny for us – not so much for the owners of the car.

• Family trips somehow make a family bond in a more meaningful, fun way. Years from now, these happy times will bring comfort in our heart when everyone will have their own family to create amazing memories. Thanks.

28. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Getaway | Life of a Minister Mom

29. lifeofaministermom says:

What fun!! I’m sure the wildlife park more than made up for the missed zoo day! I actually took my daughter to the zoo for the first time last wek and she loved it. :) I can’t wait to see what’s next on your agenda. Here’s my post this week. http://lifeofaministermom.com/2013/03/23/weekly-image-of-life-getaway/# A local getaway that was just what I needed!

30. Isn’t that the best way to encourage a loving connection to wildlife? I love the shots of your son with the animals. He’ll never forget it.

31. These are beautiful pictures. I have to say I envy you – we just received 3 inches of snow today in Indiana. :(

32. MJ says:

Beautiful shots! We’re planning to take our boys to the zoo soon!

33. What a wonderful post! It looked like you guys had a great time, and you had me cracking up at the picture of the emu!

34. penpusherpen says:

totally fan-tas-teec!! and Mission accomplished indeed… So many animals there that I couldn’t keep track, so if I responded that way, what on earth must it have felt like being there and experiencing it all first hand… Magnifico….and shows what we humans can do to help species which are endangered…Even though I have a deep rooted belief that all animals should be in the wild, their natural habitat… BUT that said, some habitats are now unable to support them, and they’re hunted almost to extinction.. so whatdoyado?.. This seems to be an answer.. Nature Reserves… Many thanks for my outing… :-) and many thanks for dropping by my site… you caught me catching up comment wise and I came over for a break… Lovely break for me.. xx

• Thanks for a very exciting and generous comment. It was a magnificent vision to see the animals roaming freely although it was a reserve and not their natural habitat. It saddens me that man’s progress and greed took their home and lives every where in the world. For the sake of the next generation, we all need to work together to make sure this creatures continues to thrive.

• Thanks for sharing generously.It was wonderful to see the animals so free even if it was an animal sanctuary and not their natural homes. I hope man stop taking their homes and harming them. We owe it to the our young generation to also enjoy and see for themselves these magnificent creatures and not just pictures of extinct species.

• penpusherpen says:

we do indeed Traveler, for future generations need to appreciate the wildlife around them…and hopefully when they’re grown lessons will have been learnt and their legacy will be all the more richly deserved…. Many thanks again for the photo’s above…. making us all feel we were there… xx

35. bluebrightly says:

He wanted to go to the zoo, and you really listened, and you’re such a flexible, generous soul! The picture of him petting the goat is so sweet. Lucky boy & lucky you.

36. Arindam says:

You surely know where and how to find the real happiness, the real thrill and the real joy. I feel your family is blessed to have you and you too are really lucky to have such caring and loving people to give you company. I’ve not been to too many zoos, but my hometown is only few miles away from a tiger and elephant reserve forest. So I know how exciting it must been for your sun to find himself so close to so many animals. Have a great week bro!!

• Thanks Bro. For the past two years, I realized I live on a borrowed time. A time that doesn’t wait. A time so unpredictable and uncertain. Every time I’m off work, I want to share with my family a new happy adventure. Hopefully, when my son is old enough to have a family of his own, he will remember how happy he was as a kid and that he had the best of childhood. My parents gave that precious gift to me. Now it’s my turn to give back. Cycle of life.

I love that you make sure that your son has really wonderful life experiences. The expression on some of those animals’ faces is so funny. They made me laugh out loud; especially the llama and the ostrich. :D

38. This is so true, we have to escape sometimes, at least to clear our heads. Thanks for the lovely tour. We really enjoyed it :)

39. Gail says:

You captured some great moments! I would have been scared of that emu too! Ha! It is wonderful that you are making such happy memories for your son….. who is a cutie by the way! I have gotten behind in my blog reading and am particularly looking forward to catching up on yours. I always enjoy reading about all your family adventures.

• Family is everything. The times we spent with them are priceless. I hope to make as much adventures as I can with them. I may not be materially rich but I hope to fill my family’s heart with precious, happy memories that they can take with them where ever they go. Thanks Gail. Best wishes to you and your family.

40. Just wanted to let you know I linked this post to one I wrote today, http://wisdomfromafather.com/2013/03/25/memories/ Thanks for the inspiration.

• Thanks for sharing the beautiful memories of your grandma and the legacy she left behind. She will always live in your heart. Memories are important to keep our love ones always present in our hearts no matter how old we get or where fate brings us.

41. Pingback: weekly image of life: getaway | bob's wife

42. hi Mr. B! as parents, we always try to look after what our kids desires are and if the Lord allows us to fulfill them through us, we go for it! besides, we can not take back that moment once they are older … Bob and i are still able to charm our kids (although grown) to prioritize our bonding moments, and i continue to praise God for that!

its been awhile since i was able to take heed of your prompt, my apologies. i prepared one specially for your challenge this week: http://alwaysbobswife.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/weekly-image-of-life-getaway/ regards to your family — April

• Thanks April for sharing an unforgettable getaway. When I read your story I feel God’s presence and the grace he gives to you and your family. “The Lord’s graciousness is beyond my comprehension and all I know in my heart is that HIS love knows no bounds.” He leads us to the most unexpected, beautiful places and create the most wonderful memories with our love ones.

• Bob and I are looking forward to creating more beautiful moments with our children on this precious getaway … time seems to slip us by so fast that every moment should be spent meaningfully in love … thank you for finding time to visit. regards to your wife and son :)

43. Pingback: Weekly Image Of Life: Getaway | PragueByKaty

44. cassbee says:

Wow that bovine feller has some massive horns. Also, you seem to really know how to pack fun into three days. Your children are very lucky to have a family like yours. Continue to stay blessed.

45. Thanks my friend. Oh, that was just part of our spontaneous adventure. We can do a lot of things, explore a lot of places, experience many events in one day if we want to. Plus it helps to have a GPS navigation device.

46. What an amazing experience to give your family! I can see how thrilled your son would be to experience such an adventure! (I would be thrilled too!)

47. Thanks again for sharing your journey with us.
    Indeed, sometimes we just have to take a break from the routine stressful life we live in everyday.

• Yep, we all need a break every now and then. Pressures and stress at work, even family is more than ever that our world has become more complicated, demanding, materialistic. Thanks .

48. I just love that place too! The last time we were there, we spent a great deal of time feeding the deer that just walk around. They weren’t afraid of people at all… I couldn’t believe I got to be so close to such sweet beauty. Also, one of the baby goats let us pick her up and that was adorable too. :) Them poking their heads into the car upon arrival was freaky for me too!

• The baby goats were just adorable. My son held one of them and was just overjoyed when a bunch of them flocked around him. He didn’t want to live but we had to go to Galveston after that for our next Spring Break adventure. Thanks.

49. Pingback: Weekly Image of Life: Getaway | The Wish Factor

50. Pingback: What an Awesome God, what a wonderful World | Freedomborn…set free