The Colors Of Wild

Wildflowers And The Colors Of Spring

Texas is blessed with the most amazing Spring colors. Everywhere I turn, carpets of vibrant wildflowers covers every vacant fields and highways.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/colors/texas wildflowers

Just a few days ago, my son and I flew a kite on a field covered with Pink Evening Primrose.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/colors/texas wildflowers

After flying the kite, my son picked some flowers. A few he threw into the air while the rest he gave to his mom.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/colors/texas wildflowers

In Search For The Texan Bluebonnets

We went to the Hill Country last weekend to celebrate my 42nd birthday. On the way to Austin, we came across a dreamy field of Bluebonnets at Chappell Hill. For several weeks now, I’d been checking the Bluebonnet Sightings website for the most beautiful blooms around Texas and thanks to one of its visitors, we were able to get a piece of magic of this unforgettable Texan wildflower.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney.net/colors/bluebonnets

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney.net/colors/bluebonnets

We were so happy. It was our first Bluebonnet experience. My wife kept saying, “Picture, picture,” which meant it was time to make our Kodak moments.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney.net/colors/bluebonnets

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/colors/texas wildflowers/bluebonnets

My son helped capture some of the images. He was really excited to learn how to use the timer and zoom lens. We ran back and forth, repeating several shots until we got it right. It was a lot of fun.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/colors/texas wildflowers/bluebonnets

Island Traveler/thismans'journey/colors/texas wildflowers

My son and I walked to the farthest part of the field where the bluebonnets were at their thickest. My wife gladly declined. It was a bit of a walk which me and my 7-year old didn’t mind pursuing. It was part of our little adventure.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney.net/colors/bluebonnets

My co-explorer kept looking for the golden magic egg underneath the bluebonnet blooms. After several searches, he told me, “Dad, there’s none.” I replied, “Yes, there is. It’s just an imaginary golden egg.” He looked at me, laughed and said, “What? It’s not real?” Laughing with him, I explained, “It’s real if you imagine it to be real.” He then turned around and walked towards his mom.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney.net/colors/bluebonnets DSC_3823

On the way to the car, a perfect sunset was glowing across the sky. It seemed to say, “The most priceless of all treasures are already safely kept in your heart. Cherish them always.” Couldn’t agree more.

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney.net/colors/Texan sunset

We returned to Houston Sunday afternoon. Whether it was fate, coincidence or pure luck, we saw a rare combination of wildflowers along I-10 East just after exiting the city of Luling. It was postcard perfect. Me and my wife kept saying, “Wow!”

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/colors/texas wildflowers

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney.net/colors/wildflowers

As I start the car, I looked at my rear view mirror and saw once more the beautiful sunset. I silently whispered, “Yes, I will always cherish them in my heart.”

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/colors/texas wildflowers

You might be wondering what happened to the rest of my weekend trip. Well, it will be my birthday treat to all of you. What you just saw is just a preview of what’s to come.

Thank you for sharing your day with me. I hope the Texan wildflowers brought the most exciting and joyful colors to your day. Thank you for the inspiring birthday wishes you shared with me. I will treasure them always. God bless you all!

How do you celebrate colors in your life? How did it inspire you today? Whatever it is, I hope you’ll treasure them always. They are part of your wonderful memories.

This entry was posted in Events, family, Life, Love, nature, parenting, photography, Post A Week, Travels, Weekly Image Of Life, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

165 Responses to The Colors Of Wild

1. john tugano says:

I’m always enamored by your post bro.This was a sight to behold,breathtaking flowers.By the way belated happy birthday.may you find joy in every single things you do with your family..
    P.s.
    Your photos are so enticing..!

2. Now I say WOW! Stunning!

3. I’d never thought of Texas and wildflowers in the same breath, but of course that’s pretty silly – look at South Africa, and Western Australia, both quite arid regions and both with the most amazing spring wildflowers. And look at what you’ve shown us – fields of colour to rival anywhere else! What a breath of fresh air :)

• It’s a magical event of Texas Spring. Also it was a project of the amazing Lady Bird Johnson to paint the Texan highways with every colors imaginable. Thanks.

4. Indira says:

Stunningly beautiful photographs, your journey was also very colorful through colorful flowers with lovely family. Belated Happy Birthday. May whole year be colorful, peaceful and full of joy, blessings.

5. Freedomborn says:

Beatuiful Island Traveler and your words too, God’s creation is never about luck it is reality created by Him for us to enjoy, I look forward to your next Post .

Christian Love from us both – Anne

6. Sonel says:

Stunning photo’s of a truly beautiful day with your lovely family IT. Thanks for sharing this beautiful part of your life. :) *hugs*

• It was a perfect weekend birthday gift. No price for an event and memory that made us feel like floating on clouds. Thanks Sonel.

• Sonel says:

That is a great birthday gift for sure and you are right, something like that is priceless. Glad you enjoyed. :) *hugs*

7. semprevento says:

I often think of you …
    I see you in the updates …
    your photos express an infinite sweetness.
    wonderful family.
    May God protect you always.

a kiss
    wind

8. bulldog says:

I wanted to say that this is similar to our flowers in the Cape… fields and fields of flowers as far as the eye can see.. and it is one of our arid regions… but these captures are so stunning, and what makes it perfect is that you are there with the family enjoying nature together, how wonderful can that be for a birthday gift… your blog so inspires me.. and these flowers are just so amazing… wonderful share my friend… wonderful share…

• Thanks Bro. I know now that the most amazing gifts we could ever have are not measured by anything material. It’s being around God’s beautiful creations with the people we love. Happiness is how we make it and the best one’s comes from the heart and treasured by the heart.

9. Marianne says:

How wonderful – I LOVE wildflowers :) The poppies and bluebonnets are spectacular.

• I told myself, “I should have opened my eyes for these awesome wildflowers long time ago.” It is never too late to catch though. Thanks Marianne.

10. These images are great!! What a beautiful place to spend the day with your family! I haven’t seen fields covered in spring flowers this beautiful in ages, you are very lucky!!

• This year, I made a promise not to miss the blooms of Texan Spring. For some reason I missed them for the last 5 years since I sat foot in Texas. Can’t explain why. Now, I am determined to celebrate it year after year. Thanks.

11. Lovely fields of flowers. How nice that such a simple joy was shared by your family.

12. So much to take in at this time of year. You have captured some gorgeous views. A great loop around you took going 290 and coming back I-10. Love, love the one of your son taking it all in, in a joyous leap. Happy Birthday, friend. Thank you for the pingback this morning. :)

• Thanks Georgette. I wish I was more adventurous a few years back. The Hill Country has so much to offer. I am planning to see more this Summer. Who knows, I might accidentally meet you in one of these gem places. I bet you can spot me and my little boy even if I don’t show our faces in my blog. God bless my friend.

13. bebs1 says:

Oh I could never get enough of those flower fields. Just beautiful, you could feel God’s presence. And they are so colorful!

• Indeed. When I look at them, I remember God’s words in the Bible of how he takes care of the wild flowers, animals and birds. Of how he makes sure they are fed, safe and always beautiful. So true when I look at nature around me. Aren’t we lucky? Thanks.

WOW! What a stunning post. Your images of your family surrounded by these beautiful flowers speak loudly of the love you have for them. I am very inspired by your post today. THANK YOU!

15. Maya says:

I always love to read your post. Happy belated birthday!

16. LOVE colours, the images and the subject! Great post mate!! So glad I followed you. :-D

17. Lovely, lovely, lovely, especially your family enjoying the sweeping beauty of the bluebonnets. What’s wonderful about this post is: often we have so much in our visual field that we miss what is most enlivening. To some the fields of spring flowers would be missed, because many must be seen up close. While other fields call out with brilliant colors. Thanks for the post filled with colors and your family enjoying their offerings.

• Thanks Sally. We do need to take the time to just stop, look and marvel at what nature gives us. They may come season after season but never the same. I’m glad I started doing this for the past two years. And each year, the yearning for more adventures gets stronger and stronger.

Thank you, IT! I haven’t been the Hill Country for the wildflowers yet. Will do this weekend. Lots of blooms in San Antonio. Beautiful post :)

• Keep me updated. I went to San Antonio about 2 years ago during Spring but I was there for an exam. My allergies was so bad all I did was sneeze and doze off. This year, I loaded myself with anti-allergy meds and it worked. Thanks Amy. Have a great time in San Antonio.

19. Jessie says:

Wow! is right!!!

Thanks to Mrs. Lady B Johnson who initiated the Wildflower Center to research and support TX wildflowers and her early vision for beautifying American Highway! http://www.wildflower.org/

• Yes, thanks to this very brilliant and generous lady. Her legacy lives forever and Spring is the best time to appreciate the priceless gift she shared with us. I wanted to go to her famous Park in Austin but missed it. Perhaps this Summer.

21. leerentz says:

Beautiful photography!

It is beautiful photos like these that really make me miss Texas!

23. Wowie wow wow! These are gorgeous! I was wondering about that shot of the three of you – timer. Of course! The angles of these shots are so interesting. Really nice job, IT.

• Yes, it was a timer. We had to do it several times. It wasn’t easy but worth it. We had fun running, walking and laughing within the 10 seconds allowed by the timer. Thanks.

24. penpusherpen says:

an amazing display of wildflowers, Traveler.. such gorgeous, carpeted fields… made you want to experience the whole thing yourself… I’m really enjoying the journey with you and your loved ones… Your happiness is so contagious… Love ‘n light… xPenx

• Happiness no matter how brief is worth every effort to get them. When things are tough, all we need is to close our eyes and remember those happy moments and before we know it, we are smiling and ready to rise up again. Thanks.

25. Lynda says:

Simply lovely!

26. Iamrcc says:

Fields of flowers are always so pretty. Nice captures. Thanks for the like of my post “Smiling Daffodil Bud”.

27. Imelda says:

Nice collection of photos, IT. I love that field of bluebonnets. :-)

28. Gracie says:

Lovely post. The wildflower field must be a real treat to any photographer. You’ve captured some amazing moments once again. Thanks for sharing.

29. Eleenie says:

I’ve never seen bluebonnets before, they’re beautiful.

Your birthday was beautiful in every sense. Thank you so much for sharing these luscious fields. Like Meredith I had never thought of Texas in connection with Spring flowers. They are like a magic carpet.

31. Texas is blessed with beautiful wildflowers! Great job capturing them!

32. I have only heard of the Texas Bluebonnets from cousins who live there. Never did I imagine such a profusion! Absolutely gorgeous, and there are some photos in this series that could win first prize in a photo contest. How wonderful that you could all enjoy this together. Wherever your son ends up, he will tell his children about that special day, and particular beauty.

• Nature is like a giant painting. It is also a maker of magic and family bonding that last a lifetime, even more. Yes, I hope to believe that when he’s older, he will remember the happiest times we had and the adventures we shared as one family. Thanks.

33. MythRider says:

I lived in Houston for ten years. I remember driving through the hill country and seeing hills filled with color. In the spring time, the city took its time mowing along the interstates so the flowers could bloom and reseed. t was a beautiful sight.
    Nothing like that up here.

• My friend bought a house in outer San Antonio. He said, “When I saw the first sunrise rise above the hills, I realized how much I missed while I was living in Houston.” Nature is a gift and it becomes one if we choose to find it. Thanks.

34. kz says:

splendid post, really wonderful photographs…always a beautiful vibe here in your blog. belated happy birthday ^^ wishing you more blessings and joy ^^

35. thirdeyemom says:

What gorgeous wildflowers! I have heard all about Texas wildflowers thanks to the wonderful children’s book about Lady Bird Johnson and her wildflowers. Would love to see them someday! :)

36. Mazigrace says:

Speechless! In awe of nature’s beauty all around us and you captured the sights beautifully. Thanks for sharing your day.

• Thanks. We went back yesterday to see a festival. Where used to be where the bluebonnets several weeks ago are now a field of greens. We do need to appreciate nature every moment we have a chance to do so. It is ever changing.

37. Sheryl says:

The wildflowers are amazing. . . snow on the ground here. I’m ready for spring.

happy belated birthday! thank you for the wildflower spectacular show! ☼sunLOVE!

I’m loving the flowers but my absolute favorite pic is your son and the SpongeBob Squarepants kite. Awesome. :)

Hey was it your birthday, my friend? Happy belated birthday. Sending you good vibes and a great weekend. :)

• It was my B-day week then. I turned 42. Best time to soar and embrace my inner adventurous , child-like side I set aside for so long. Time to savor every chance of joy, fun and excitement. Thanks.

40. ChgoJohn says:

The fields of Blue Bonnets are really quite beautiful — but the other wild flowers certainly aren’t bad to look at. Spring is such a magical time of the year and seeing it through your Son’s eyes is truly special. Thanks for giving us a peek.

41. Sartenada says:

I loved also among those beautiful flowers the statue of horses. Art is so close to my heart.

Happy birthday, IT. Wow, those windflowers are beautiful. Is the field with red, white and blue flowers real? Amazing! Looks like you all had such fun feasting on the blooms. Have a great weekend!

43. What a beautiful sight those wildflowers are, and your photos of your family enjoying them simply added to the magic: thank you for sharing these, I really enjoyed looking at them :)

44. d.mooncrab says:

Beautiful flowers!! Happy belated birthday!

45. Pingback: Mrs. City Boy

46. Wow this place is flower heaven, beautiful shots.

• It was. I wish I appreciated them sooner. Sometimes, we know it’s there but we don’t really take the time to stop and see it. Now, I’m catching up and it’s great. Thanks.

47. Connie T says:

Ladybird Johnson, who was married to president Johnson, had wild flowers planted along highways. They are beautiful. http://learningtogive.org/papers/paper270.html

• Yes, she did and that priceless legacy will live on for many years to come. She truly is a visionary and lover of nature. She inspired so many through her work and dedication. Thanks.

48. Lily Mugford says:

You are blessed to live where the wid flowers bloom in such glorious colours. Beautiful photography and Happy belated birthday, sounds like you were having a great time.

49. Beautiful flowers, moments and memories. Thanks for the Kodak capture. Looks like you had an excellent birthday. Best wishes.

50. Ajaytao2010 says:

I Nominate for Blogging Awards
    choose any one

Dont think I am nominating you for being so kind and so generous
    I am nominating coz you are a wonderful soul to be loved
    and dont think this as an award but just sharing love which is universal

please accept and oblige

51. Pingback: Blog Awards | Ajaytao 2010

This is such a magical post. You and your family have wonderful outings. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. :)

• I just woke up one day and realize I was missing a lot. I may not cover everything but I will try to max it out. If we observe how days seems like seconds, scares me. Thanks.

53. Absolutely beautiful!

54. ciao! blooms for your birthday…many happy returns.
    thebestdressup

55. hi Mr. B … you are blessed! thank you for sharing with us your cherished moments with your family and it is our turn to be blessed by your love for each other, appreciation for God’s creation and the inspiration that the family is to be treasured in the heart forever … lovely colors of spring!

• Thanks April. Every event no matter how small like passing through a wildflower bed becomes an event of a lifetime when we choose to cherish them in our hearts with the people who means the world to us.

56. Penny says:

Beautiful beautiful. You’ve inspired me to take a drive this weekend.
    Your friend in Dallas. :)

57. I’ve always dreamt of throwing myself flat into those flowery fields! Beautiful photos!

58. Beautiful wild flowers! It was really a Kodak moment.

59. The colours are indeed gorgeous and your stunning photographs led me to recall William Wordsworth’s verse from my school days.

” For oft, when on my couch I lie
    In vacant or in pensive mood,
    They flash upon that inward eye
    Which is the bliss of solitude;
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils. ”

Such experiences and images do hold the capacity to enrich us for a long.long time.

Shakti

60. frizztext says:

thank you for sharing your family Kodak moments of those flower fields!

61. What an amazing post! The colors are fantastic, the photos fantastic, and the memory one tht will be forever branded in your son’s treasure chest of family moments.

what a perfect post i picked to start catching up on what’s happening in your life!

z

62. mpejovic says:

Wow, those fields of bluebonnets are beautiful! I love wildflowers too and they look different in Southern California. Lots of California poppies of various colors: http://milkapejovic.com/2012/12/19/bright-and-colorful-wildflowers-to-warm-you-up-on-this-cold-december-day/

• California is blessed with a diverse, exciting, vibrant gifts of Nature. I’m hoping to see my sister there end of Summer if my budget fits. Thanks.

63. Such lovely, colorful photos. You’ve certainly created many warm memories for your son.

64. Tammy says:

That first photo is amazing! I love wildflowers and this time on year, they are everywhere. Your flowers are so different from ours.

Wow! So many beautiful flowers!! :D
    Thank you for sharing those warm pictures!

66. Paula says:

What a beautiful, beautiful post… may love and beauty always be a big part of your life IT!

I have posted a message of appreciation of your blog here: http://wp.me/p23TG1-2wU

68. What a wonderful post. Makes the spirit soar, as with your son’s kite. A celebratory and joyous time :) Those flowers are spectacular.

• I have a video of him flying the kite on a bed of bluebonnets and hearing him laugh and watching him so happy melts my heart. I hope and pray that everyday, we all be blessed with moments like these with our children and family. Thanks.

69. Becky says:

The pictures of the flowers are beautiful, your time spent with your family is precious! You are building some wonderful memories for you and your son to enjoy for many years to come! I really like the photo of the three of you in the field of blue flowers! Might want to frame that one and put it in your house! :)
    Thank you for sharing, and Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful year!

• Thanks Becky. When my friends so the pic, they too were inspired to visit the place. Makes me smile when I see how happy they are and just having a great time as a family among the bluebonnets. To me, that is what make this experience magical. So next year, we are planning a bluebonnet/wildflower road trip among the highways and state parks. Can’t wait.

70. Purely.. Kay says:

You and youre family always take the most amazing mini trips and always have such wonderful photos :). These were amazing

• My friends kept teasing me for having these mini-vacations. My response always, “Life is too short. I need to makes as many happy memories as I can.” Then they smile and take a long pause. Sounds gloomy and sad but reality is, someone in this planet doesn’t get the chance to see tomorrow. And that happens 24/7 of everyday. Scary but true. Thanks.

You pictures are fit for some glossy brochure! Thanks for the colourful gorgeousness IT :-)

72. Aian Ramos says:

From your ‘Forever Changed’ post to here…yup, in spite of all the ugliness and cruelness there really is still hope, it’s still a wonderful world :)

73. Beautiful photos, and you come across as a sweetie – I like that whole devoted family man thing, it’s lovely.

• Through the years, I learned that my most cherish treasure is my family. Success, wealth, fame…just an empty prize when I have no one to share them with. Plus these fleeting material stuff don’t comfort you when your world is up side down. Thanks.

74. Beautiful post and it reminds me of the 60′s when “Lady Bird Johnson Johnson was a lifelong advocate for beautifying the nation’s cities and highways (“Where flowers bloom, so does hope”) and the Highway Beautification Act was informally known as Lady Bird’s Bill.” Wikipedia.
    I lived in North Carolina for 30 years and our highways were landscaped with flowers because of her efforts around the country. Am pleased you and your family could celebrate your birthday surrounded by such beauty.

75. What beautiful pictures and what a lovely time for you and your family-thank you for the reminder to stop and take in the beauty around us-

76. dianewrites says:

Wow! Priceless collection of photos here!