Up All Night

The past two days had been hectic for me. Can’t remember the last time I went home at 04:00 in the morning for a Saturday night out with college friends but today I did. Can’t believe I survived although my ears are still ringing from the loud techno club music. Yes, you heard it right, techno trance blaring music! It’s different when you are at the gym to motivate you to “Up” your heartbeat and rhythm. In an enclosed place filled with smoke, Star Wars-like laser beams and people who are constantly jumping, dancing and shouting, it becomes a totally wild, crazy, out of this world experience. At least for me and the rest of my 40-year-old buddies. 20 years ago, our group could have lasted till morning without a sweat. Now, it felt like we really have to sweat if we wish to even come close to the things we used to do back then.

No matter how old we get, we should always keep soaring, flying and living.

Up, up and away! No matter how old we get, we should always keep soaring, flying and living.

Up, Up And Away

So here I am this morning, just waking up, psyching myself with blogging, a cup of strong brewed  coffee, a potassium high banana to start another busy day with my classmates. We are having a weekend reunion. Celebrating more than twenty years of wonderful friendship. It felt really good being around people you shared so much fun times, laughter and lots of nostalgic, comforting past. People you see yourself celebrating 20 years more of craziness again and again, without a doubt. Today, I offer a toast to all who wish to keep their youth “forever young” in their hearts as well as a toast to all friendship that will keep our spirits soaring high. Who’s with me?

Island Traveler/thisman'sjourney/weekly photo challenge: Up/Barton Springs

Thank you for the generous blogging friendship and for making me remember my happy childhood memories. Memories where I jumped so many times, believing that I could fly. In many ways I did.

A perfect, fun day at Zilker Park in Austin. It is great to wake up and have an entire day that makes you feel like you are "Up" on top of the world.

A perfect, fun day at Zilker Park in Austin. It is great to wake up and have an entire day that makes you feel like you are “Up” on top of the world. Imagine if we can have that everyday. Wishes do come true and I wish for everyone days like that all the time.

Lately, what made your spirits soar with happiness?  Whatever they are, I hope they will always remind you that you can do anything, be anything.

This entry was posted in family, kids, Life, Love, photography, Weekly Image Of Life, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to Up All Night

Glad to hear you are having a wonderful time with your reunion buddies. Up all night with old friends can be a good experience to catch up, inspire and motivate.

2. how enormously FUN!!
    I think it’s so important to reconnect with friends from younger days! It sounds like you’ve had the time of your life.
    Bravo!

• I did. It is a blessing to reconnect, to remember, to laugh for a while without having to worry about the usual problems of our personal lives. It is inspiring to see that we are not alone. That we can be ourselves with both our weakness and strengths and that’s totally cool with our friends. Thanks.

3. Mazigrace says:

Love the picture of your son leaping. I wish there were an “awesome” button. It’s more than “like.” Frame that. Make a poster of it. It’s a keeper!! Very inspiring! Makes me want to go out and bounce on my bouncer.

4. Thanks, you brought a smile across my afternoon. Lovely that you are able to celebrate these friendships. I enjoyed the exuberance of your son in the first image. Nicely captured. Rest UP and then enjoy what’s left of your weekend with your friends.

• He loves to jump and make huge leaps. Children are blessed with a very vibrant spirit that makes them soar above anything. Something we all can find inspiration from. Thanks.

Wonderful pic of your son. Love to see how he jumps :) How fun to reunion with your buddies to celebrate your 20 years friendship!

6. LyannV says:

As always, I love your photos! Another lovely post :)
    My heart always soars with happiness when I make a new blogger friend – either in person or in the blogosphere, friends – and family – make the world go ’round!
    ~Lyann

7. Imelda says:

Cheers, IT! Always have the joy, if not the vigor, of youth. :-)

8. bebs1 says:

Reunions are always fun and they are precious as you relive those long lost ago years filled with wonderful memories. Have fun!

• Reliving the fun past inspires us to face today and tomorrow. Plus it feels great to just laugh and be around people that we can be all out…and that’s okay. Thanks.

9. Those 4:00 a.m. nights take longer to recover from as we age :-) — but so worth the effort once in awhile!

10. Thank you for your uplifting comments. I’d have been tuckered out way before 4 a.m. But catching up with old friends and good times just means you can nap later. Enjoy!

11. Marianne says:

20 years – wow! Have your ears stopped hissing yet?

Great photos :)

• It did stop hissing after a few hours of sleep. I told my friends, “20 years from now, we might not recognize each other so we need to do our reunion more often.” Thanks Marianne.

Got to be with you on that one! Here’s to friendships and good times together. :)

spirits soar with happiness when we share in each others goodness through fellowship, food and time spent laughing and listening to each others stories. CHEERS!

14. Good luck staying up late every night for this special weekend! I have to say I don’t miss those days, especially since my kids love to get up really early after the nights I stay up late…

15. How nice that you were able to reconnect with such joy. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time sauntering down memory lane.

• It was a fun reunion. We have one crazy, funny batch. It’s fascinating that despite of the changes we’d all been through, those pesonalities we had in college pretty much stayed the same. Thanks.

16. You think 40 slows you down? Wait til your 60!
    Only half kidding. Keep your heart young, my friend. The rest will follow. Nice to know you enjoyed yourself, even if it meant working up a sweat. ;-)

• We were actually having a fun time imagining what we all be like at 60. I hope we all are still in great health and ready for another dancing gig, may be ballroom this time. No more techno. Thanks.

17. becky6259 says:

Ah, to be young again! Great photos of your son — he seems to always enjoy himself!

• He does. He is full of energy and optimism. Always with bright ideas and funny remarks. He keeps me young at heart. He enjoys running, jumping and recently jumping rope. Thanks Becky.

Sounds like great fun! I love to meet up with my old school friends but I don’t hink I could be bothered with the club scene – I’d rather hear our conversations :-)

19. vishalbheeroo says:

Having coffee with old chums is the perfect start to stay forever young. Plus, one should never lose the child in him or her and never grow up. What say?
    Cheers
    Vishal

20. Sonel says:

Such beautiful photo’s of joy and happiness IT. Glad you enjoyed the time with your friends and yes, I remember times like that as well. Now, going to bed at 11pm is “late” … LOL! Lovely post and thanks for sharing. :) *hugs*

• My sleeping time is all messed up. When I work I sleep days and when I’m off work I become a normal night sleeping person. Waking up at 0400 a.m. is part of my routine but not the blaring music. Thanks Sonel.

• Sonel says:

Oh, mine gets messed up all the time but I am blessed in the sense that I don’t have to go to work. My work is at home. LOL! I totally agree IT. No blaring music for me either. That is why I avoid the tourists on weekends. :)

21. ChgoJohn says:

Sounds like you’re having a great time. I have a hard time believing how we used to stay out all night on the weekends and back to work on Monday mornings, none the worse for wear. Now, if I’m out after midnight, it will take me a day to recuperate. This was a fun post and may the good times continue for your all.

It must have been wonderful to reconnect with friends from your younger days. It made me think back to the days when I could stay out all night and still managed to go to classes the following morning. We don’t appreciate our youth properly, until it has passed. :) I love the pics of your ‘high-energy’ son. :D

• Yes, we don’t fully appreciate our youth till it had past but it’s never too late to catch up and enjoy whatever we can today. Reaching my 40’s woke me up plus the current events of our times. We can no longer think like we can live forever. We all lived on borrowed time which we need to spend wisely every minute of everyday. Thanks.

23. Sonel says:

Just wanted to share this with you too my dear friend :
    *hugs*

24. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: UP | The Adventures of Iñigo Boy

25. penpusherpen says:

always the best times, traveler, being with friends and fully enjoying yourself… adds to the feeling of ‘it’s so good to be alive’ … and it is…:-) xPenx

Thanks for taking the time to write this post while having a wonderful reunion. I very much enjoyed the pictures you put in, as always a great choice of pictures. As one friend says, 40 slows you down, wait till you’re 60. What about 80? This is really going to slow you down!

27. Cheryl says:

I’m with you, Mr. B. …’age’ is truly a state of mind. The shell may be walking a little slower by the inner me is always dancing!

28. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge :: Up | Cheryl Andrews

What a great friendship. It must be valuable for you. Have a wonderful day.

30. I had a group of great friends in high school and we called ourselves “The Lunch Club.” We were an eclectic bunch but developed great friendships. Those kind of friendships feed our soul. I’m glad you have these!

Dancing to techno music until 4:00 a.m.? Wow.

32. I like that you ‘psyched yourself with blogging’ :-)
    Thank you for the pingback.

33. dearrosie says:

Ah for the days of partying all night and playing the next day…
    I love the thoughts you shared about age and youth and the pictures of your son.

34. naomimgruer says:

There are so many things that make my spirits soar. Friends and family are top of the list!

35. munchow says:

I don’t think 40-s old. But yes it is a little harder to keep going when you get older. And we don’t do it as much as when we were younger. But nevertheless isn’t it fun once in a while? Even if it takes its toll next morning? It certainly seems like you had a lot of fun. And I would think the rest of the weekend continued in the same way.

• I did had a lot of fun. It took me a while to physically recover but it was worth it. The last time I met my friends was 4 years ago. It was great to see them again. Thanks.

36. EagleAye says:

I love the message of this post. It’s so true. I wanna stay forever young too. And greetings from a fellow Austinite! Zilker Park is awesome.

37. Pat says:

Beautiful story,and it stirred memories of days gone by that I also totally enjoyed and soared LOL!! Life us such fun with friends and families,thanks for your visit and do have a lovely uplifting day :D :D!

38. Lovely post! Sometimes pictures bring back old memories. A reunion would really be amazing! Sometimes life just seems to be racing ahead. New things, new places, new people… Wow!
    We’ve got to catch our breathe sometimes, and catch up on old times. :)

39. Pingback: WordPress Family Award | restlessjo

I’m sure you will receive many of these, Island Traveller, but I couldn’t leave you out. Huge thanks for all your support. Have a great weekend. :)

41. Reunions are great, but they can be very enervating… lol :D
    You have been nominated for a few Awards. I hope you join the Family :)

42. viveka says:

WoW ….. reading this post made me so up … lifted – brilliant and your photos too. Happy, joyful and innocent … don’t know if your Saturday night was that innocent, but who cares .. main thing is that you enjoyed yourself. 4am is a great time to come home. I have always said that if we don’t feel something the morning after, the night before have been wasted.

Life is so beautiful, isn’t it? When it is simple, it is easier to see it. :D

44. Great photos :)
    I’m glad that happiness is much present in your life; may it remain so always! What makes me truly happy… it’s to be among the ones I love.

45. Reunions do hold the potential of bringing up different shades of emotions in us. Joy when we meet long lost friends and reminisce of the good old times. Sadness when we miss someone who could not make it. Satisfaction when we see our lot favourably compared to others. Envy when we see others getting ahead in life compared to ourselves.

I guess it all depends on the kind of mindset we choose to carry into the reunion.

Loved the post.

Shakti

46. Hi Island Traveler, I can identify with the loud disco music and flashing lights and smoke too, even Churches today have this for their worship as they seek to reach out to the youth but God tells us to have a balance in our music and songs so that all ages are included in worship.

But as you shared regardless of the suroundings, you felt close to those who you valued as good friends and also the years in between had not changed your closness to them.

You asked what made my spirit soar with happiness…like you I value family and friends greatly and they bring me great happiness when we are able to share together as you and the others I Blog with often do too, you all light up my life with happiness but I soar with Jesus often and have deep inner Joy when He tells me He Loves me in so many differant ways and in my heart I hear His melody, so beautiful and so sweet as He tells me I’m a priceless treasure to Him, which is the name of a prose I wrote and which I hope to Post soon.

You too dear friend are also His Priceless Treasure although perhaps you do not have as many cracks as me but thankfully God is the Super Glue. I thank Him for you and all my friends, those whom I’m in physical contact with or by phone or with Blogging.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

• I would value your prayers island traveler, my Mum phoned to let me know my Brother is in hospital fighting for his life, his kidneys are failing and our little furry friend Monty is also very sick and in a animal hospital, all in one day, I commented a few times but it is hard to focus, I should do a Post and ask for prayer but I’m feeling a bit lost, please pray I’m very worried, Alfred is not a Christian but I hope he remembers what we have shared with him over the years even if he rejected it at the time.

My little Monty was so scared when we left him with the Vet, he is so gentle and loving, he just did not understand.

47. This one sure made me smile!

48. MythRider says:

You just read my childhood memory, but I will continue here …
    My girl cousins and I walked on memory lane in a facebook conversation. It wasn’t like being together, we are in 3 different states, but it was fun.

Adore the pictures of your son! It is always wonderful to catch up with childhood friends. To return for a brief and wistful moment to our youth, in spirit if not in body :-)

50. Arindam says:

“It felt really good being around people you shared so much fun times, laughter and lots of nostalgic, comforting past. People you see yourself celebrating 20 years more of craziness again and again, without a doubt.” – Just loved this line bro!! So true and beautifully expressed bro!! :)

So happy! You have a super loving child! :D Haha