Last Days Of Summer

As my focus shift from the spontaneous, adventurous mood of Summer to a more structured routine of back to school activities, my family and I went to our favorite beach to finally say goodbye. One last fun, relaxing time by its playful waters. One last surf and laughter under its warm, radiant Sun. One last walk along our favorite seawall. One last piece of Calamari at Jimmy’s. One last Summer story to make, celebrate and forever cherish in memory.

DSC_8244

DSC_8249

I woke up early Friday morning preparing our picnic food of Plantain, papaya, cheese omelette with spinach, hotdogs and edamame. My wife and son were still asleep and I was hoping to surprise them with an unplanned trip at the beach.

DSC_8284

We reached the Galveston State Park close to lunch time. I was so hungry but I had to set aside my growling stomach to swim with my little surfer. He loves the beach and this is one place I see his face lights up with pure joy. Seeing him happy, makes me and my wife happy. As I closed my eyes to capture a mental picture of the moment, I heard his excited voice shouting, “Yahoo!” Then I felt a splashed of cold water hit my face, as two small feet jumped into a pool of seawater next to me. My son staring at me with a naughty smile holding his body board said, “Dad, let’s go. I need to catch my wave.”

DSC_8331

Summer is a perfect time to focus, refocus on the many events and seasons in our lives. It gives us a moment to escape the craziness of our world. To relax, reflect, reorganize our thoughts. To look back on the things gone wrong, review and reshape the present, to create new plans for the future. It gives us a chance to heal and make sense of the many storms we had to endure this year. Summer is more than just experiencing that perfect dream vacation. Summer is finding meaning and purpose. Of collecting precious treasures and memories as many as the sands we walk on along its shores.

DSC_8297

DSC_8289

I smiled as my wife blew her birthday candle. I then burst into laughter with her as we both  saw our son dip his face on the cake. We were out of spoons and forks. My 7-year old was being creative and funny. Quietly, I told myself, “Another beautiful Summer.” As I shared with them the delicious chocolate cake, I felt so thankful for having them to spend the many seasons of my life. Despite of a few rough waves we went through this year, so much blessings came out pouring like Summer’s unexpected rain.

IMG_0240

I may have said goodbye to Summer but it doesn’t mean I have to stop reliving the many wonderful stories it gave me and my family. I can still keep believing on the little miracles it creates. Miracles that will keep each Summer alive.

Thank you for sharing my Summer adventures. You all inspire me to make each of my Summer the best one there is.

How did you celebrate the last days of your Summer?

Related articles

This entry was posted in family, Life, photography, Post A Week, Summer Adventures, Travels, Weekly Image Of Life, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Last Days Of Summer

1. cobbies69 says:

I do like the way you document in pictures.. and great pictures as well.. ;)

2. Áine Órga says:

Beautiful photographs – they really capture the atmosphere :)

3. Colline says:

I can see your son becoming an acid surfer as he gets older :)

4. It seems the splash of cooler air has given us all nostalgia for our summers. Love your pics. You always look like you are having such a good time with your family.

5. bebs1 says:

You are a great father and husband, am sure there’ll be more wonderful summers ahead in your life with your family. But not just summer, all-season long!

6. Indira says:

Wonderful pics to cherish the memories of summer. Blessings.

noo, not ready to say goodbye to summer…let me enjoy your beautiful summer day a bit longer. happy belated birthday to your wife. :)

8. THANKS for subscribing to my funny-caption photoblog. I hope I can bring you a smile (or at least a groan) every weekday. I hope you and your family enjoyed your last summer fling. As you can probably tell from my blog, we (my wife, son, and I) spent this last week in Washington, D.C.
    –John

9. I enjoy almost every aspect of this season, and it is always bittersweet to see it wane. Lovely sentiments and images about change. There is always joy ahead in the new and the rejuvenated. Have a nice week.

10. you described your day beautifully!

11. What a perfect summer’s end! You all are so lucky to have each other, but you already know that! Thanks for a beautiful post.

12. Praveena says:

Lovely pictures,There will be more enjoyable summers ahead to make memories with your family :)

13. becky6259 says:

Your posts are so positive and fun! Despite having some difficulties in your life, you remain upbeat, and your photographs show a family enjoying life! I hope your troubles are behind you, and blessings before you!

• Thanks Becky. The problems are still there but who doesn’t, right? Thinking positive, hanging on hope, looking forward for Summer’s and new season’s surprises help me see life in a brighter perspective. Life is too short to waste on negativity. There is so much to do and explore. Thanks Becky.

Such a joyful day of the last summer day, IT! You boy had a great time in the water :)

I’ve loved sharing your summer but I’m not ready to let this one end quite yet!

• Time wise, Summer seem to have ended but in reality it truly ends when we stop living and believing in its existence. And in Texas, Summer weather lingers which means I can still head to the beach even early Fall. Thanks.

We’re on the same page this week :) Hoarding the memories to brighten the future. Hope your week is as happy as you make us. :)

17. mariannegv says:

It certainly looks as a great day. The food sounds delicious. Congratulations for the birthday celebration.
    Kind greetings,
    Marianne

18. ChgoJohn says:

If you’re going to pick a spot to mark the end of Summer, you won’t do better than at the beach. Remember, though, it wasn’t “good-bye” but “till next time”. Another wonderful post. :)

19. I absolutely love your happy and thankful outlook on life! You, your son and wife are all very blessed to have each other!

20. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge- Focus | anniesshowroom

21. You have so much fun with your family, bless you. It you accept awards, I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Go get it on my second blog site and enjoy it.

22. It still feels like summer around here. Plus I celebrate every day for what it brings (or doesn’t as the case may be). You have a really nice blog here–great photographs.

And thanks for taking an interest in my zany little blog! :)

23. A fabulous close to your summer. Happy birthday to your wife. Happy beginning to fall. Be well, IT. ;-)

24. Sonel says:

What a lovely time you all had IT. Birthday wishes to you wife from me too. Great shots of a happy family. :D *hugs*

25. Your so thoughtful not just in your gesture to your wife but your thoughtful ness towards the day. Your ability to enjoy simple things, is VERY pleasing to read! This summer for us has been pretty hectic I am a musician and my album is coming out September 17, so I have been working on that my husband is getting his PHD and he also works full time. So no time to go out and play. But we did watch some amazing movies and eat some exquisite meals. I will say I feel guilty when I see posts like these and think JEEZE were all work!
    Well CONGRATS sir to your BEAUTIFUL SUMMER!

• Congratulations to both you and your husband. You both are pursuing two amazing, inspiring dreams. I wish you both all the happiness and success. Summer is anything that make us celebrate life with the people we care about may it be watching movies or a trip to the beach. Thanks. Have a great day!

• I would like to live a bit more for life and not so much for work so it’s difficult to balance ESPECIALLY when your starting out. But PERSPECTIVE is EVERYTHING and hopefully I can keep mine positive. Thanks so much for the post and the compliments you have a new reader!

26. I’m jealous of your warm water! The Pacific Ocean in San Diego is frigid, even in the heat of summer so we never swim in it. But we’ve enjoyed plenty of time at the pool and now that the tourists are gone but we still have a few more days before school starts, we’re visiting our favorite San Diego attractions, like the zoo. It feels great to live where people come on vacation.

• It’s always a dream of mine to see San Diego. If I get lucky, I may see my sis in Sonoma for Thanksgiving and may be we get to drive there. Galveston’s waters is Gulf of Mexico and feels like Summer till close to end of Fall. Whenever I have a long off, we hit the beach. How’s back to school with kids? My son had a blast with his first week!

This was a great post. I think all of us visit our last summer favorites before the fall schedule begins, just an awesome getaway before the mornings begin to look stressful for the back to school crunch. Your little escaped looked fun. I loved the bucket shot! Nice!

• Thanks Guat. I try to do a last Summer hurrah before school starts although I know I can always revisit Summer in memory. Plus I have a feeling me and Summer will cross path anytime, thanks to the awesome Texan weather.

What a wonderful way to enjoy the last few days of summer, IT. Many happy birthday wishes to your wife. Your little son is so cute. :)

• Thanks my friend. We had a simple yet meaningful celebration. No crazy parties. No flashy preparations. Just a happy day with my two best friends. My wife said, ” this is the kind of Birthday I want,” as we shared the Edamame.

29. 2e0mca says:

All too soon they’re back at school… :-( But – you’ve had a great summer so file it in the memory and look forward to Christmas :-) I find it amazing how the kids can combine the ‘Oh! No’ school reaction with the enjoyment they usually display when they get back there! Have a good one and my best wishes to you and your family :-)

• Hope you had a great Summer as well and best wishes to your family. My son enjoyed his first week of school. He loves being around his classmates. We had a great Summer and part of me wished it lasted a bit longer. Thanks.

30. Lisaman says:

And now we can get ready for the beautiful colours of Autumn!!

31. Imelda says:

Hi, IT. I wonder why I don’t get notification about your new posts. Anyway, it’s nice to visit here again. :-) By the way, your last photo is is magical. :-)

32. I like how you described summers… a time to heal, a time to reflect, a time to collect precious memories and treasures, a time to review and reshape…
    Your posts have chronicled the beautiful memories you and your wife have created for your son. Your blog is a prized possession for your family.
    Papaya is one of my favorite fruits:)

WordPress question: I set up your blog and a few others to receive “daily e-mails” whenever there is a post, but I haven’t been getting those notifications. Do you have any idea? I just changed the notification to instantly to see if that would help.

• Thank you for sharing generously. It makes me happy knowing others shares the many ups and downs of my life. As for the notifications, I’d been having problems too. I can’t even see my entries on the wordpress weekly photo challenge. I hope it’s a temporary computer glitches. Take care and stay blessed always.

33. munchow says:

What a wonderful way to end the summer – and what a wonderful tribute to you family and life in general. I still hope for a little bit more of summer before fall sets inn. Usually I don’t sum up the ending of a season, but by that time I start to look forward to the next – and what it will bring. Have a nice weekend, my friend!

34. Glenn says:

I just love the beach :-). Thank you for such an inspiring post. You have given me an idea on what to write about next.

Thanks for the comments on my blog.

35. I love the photos of you and your family. Like you, my summer was relaxing, invigorating and a time to recharge. The best times were those we spent with family. That’s why I enjoy seeing photos of you and your family on your travels.

36. The last photo looks almost mystical. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, not that you need any help gaining followers, but I linked to your blog regardless so my readers could discover yours:) http://littleblissbook.com/2013/09/01/oopsididitagain/

Rakhi, xx

37. Tammy says:

I need to find Jimmy’s in Galveston! I love calamari.

38. MikeP says:

Summers end also starts a rebirth for me…. as the start of a new year… school that is. My life will now revolve more around my new school family and my home family. By the end of the year both these families seem as one…. I would not have it any other way. :-)

• That is one exciting new beginning Mike. Family is important. May they be the people we go home too or the ones we share our working days with.wishing you and your family a great school season ahead,

39. He looks like my boy….on the beach. =)

40. Great synergy of your pictures and the accompanying text.Your post shows you being so present in the moment and I would acknowledge you for this great quality.

In its own way, each season has its own special aspect does it not? So as you see the passing of summer, what intentions do you hold for the coming winter?

Shakti

• I do try to be in the present. To savor its blessings. To create as much positive experience as I can. In reality, we know that is challenging. In our grown-up world, so much of our child-like hope and enthusiasm had been taken from us. Pain, loss, hardship, heartaches and betrayal. Just a few of why now I try to run towards every events and moments that gives me and my family reasons to be happy about. Thanks.

41. Hi Island Traveler, so pleased you are enjoying your Summer, your Photography helps me to experience it’s beauty and your words to feel it’s warmth,Thank you for sharing,

Yes it is True as God’s heart Children, we never face the Storms alone, God holds the umbrella and shields us from it’s force, I’m amazed as I look back how God comforted me when my Mum died recently and how He wonderfully reassured me that we would be together in Heaven. Thank you for praying for us Island Traveler, your prayers were answered in the best way possible for Mum and myself.

Christian Love dear friend, from both of us – Anne