Megan Young, Miss World With A Purpose

Last night, a woman took home more than just a crown of Miss World 2013. She brought home with her the hope and dreams of her people. For the first time in her country’s history, a Filipina won the much coveted title.

Megan Young, showed the world what beauty with a purpose means. She let her inner beauty shine, gave her heart, shared her wishes and visions for building a better, kinder, more generous world that truly cares for others. She spoke genuinely, “I promise to be the best Ms. World ever.” Her words echoed straight into the hearts of millions who knew what it felt to live in hardship, always stricken with grief, oppression, calamities, poverty and political unrest. She became a glimmer of hope, a light to those around her, a reason to smile, to take pride in being true to one’s roots, culture, traditions and beliefs. She reminded us to never forget where you came from, to always look back with gratefulness all those people who helped us achieve our dreams. To give back and this time help others find their dreams.

To Megan, thank you for bringing pride and happiness to the Philippines. The night you were crowned, every Filipino scattered globally, felt that they too took the crown in their hearts. In behalf of all the Filipinos here in America, particularly Texas, congratulations. Yes, we believe that you will be the best Ms. World ever. Our thoughts and prayers to you and all those who strive to make a positive change and purpose in this world.

From the outside, the world is saturated with beautiful people but not everyone brings out that priceless inner beauty in them. Inner beauty that seeks to help, heal and rebuild the brokenness around them. Today, may we all seek and be inspired by that inner beauty within us so we can find courage and faith in creating a huge difference in our world.

This entry was posted in Events, Inspiration, Life, lifestyle and entertainment, people, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Megan Young, Miss World With A Purpose

1. windapontoh says:

How beautiful she is :)
    And her words is taking my heart, “I promise to be the best Ms. World ever.”

• She is. I saw her video as she thanked and remembered her family, friends, countrymen and the world in general and all you have to do is look into her eyes and listen to her voice, all spoken from the heart. We need more of those in this world. Thanks.

Congratulations to Megan and to the Philippines!!! She has both outside and inner beautiful!
    Thank you for the beautiful post, IT.

• Thanks Amy. It meant so much for a lot of Filipinos around the world to be celebrated once in a while particularly in this difficult times. This year, the Philippines once again suffered calamities. The poor gets poorer. Hope seems so little sometimes. We needed a hope booster!

• Amy says:

Wish the best to Filipinos! They are hard-working people, and have endured so much through the history. I can see this celebration is a wonderful booster. Thank you for sharing!

In a way l feel pleased for her but l am not a great fan of this type of thing.Beauty is only skin deep and everyone in their own way is beautiful….so to me it is all a bit false.
    Without doubt your lovely wife is even more beautiful but she does not feel the need to parade her body for judgement, or to wear a make believe crown.
    These competitions degrading to the gentler fairer sex and should be abolished, even so l feelsurethatmiss Filipina will make a great ambassador for her country

• I know where you are coming from. True in a lot of sense. I think if done right and with good intentions, we can use the exterior beauty to create something good. To draw people to care and be involve. So much indifference around us. To many people pretending their next neighbor is not suffering from hunger, fear, loss of of love ones, homes or one’s job. Even if I am now in America where honestly it is hard to see poverty the way I see it so raw and haunting in the Philippines, my heart still longs for a country that made me who I am now. I do hope the new reining Ms. World will be an ambassador for all countries who needed to be heard and be healed. Thanks Patrecia.

4. bulldoglinda says:

She is so beautiful congratulations to her and the Philippines.

• Hope all is well, bright and joyful in your side of the world my friend. Thank you for the recent comment. I was thrilled for my country of birth for having their first Ms. World winner even if I now live in America. In a place where there so much pain and suffering, a piece of good news seem to bring a smile to those who needed them the most. Thus I had to pay a tribute not just for the winner but for the country I will always call “Home.” God bless you and Mr. adventure. He is inspires me by the way to also seek life’s adventures though I’m not ready yet for the ultimate Safari escape. May be one day. Thanks.

Such a lovely young woman you have to represent you to the world! :)

Beautiful inside and out.

7. That’s a very nice tribute from you to her.

• Least I could do for the honor and happiness she gave to her country. I live in the Philippines for 31 years and I now for a fact how passionate Filipinos are about Ms. World or Universe. In a economically poor country, to be recognize in a positive way by richer nations is a big thing. It gives a sense of hope that things can get better. And often, things get better when we believe, strive and persevere. Thanks Sally.

8. You must be so proud! How did I miss this? I loved the Miss America results!

• I did miss it too during the actual show. My wife simply told me her friend will pick her up and spend an afternoon with more friends to watch Ms. World. I didn’t even know who was competing until she told me the exciting news the next day after my work. Wish I saw it live and cheered with them. Thanks Georgette.

9. IT, what sincere tribute to this beautiful young lady. Your words are also full of inspiration for us. Thank you!

10. When I saw a replay of her video just before she answered her final question, I saw the sincerity in her eyes and the sound of her voice. Almost like wanting to cry for feeling so much in her heart. I felt goose bumps. It’s a similar sentiment and feeling we all Filipinos abroad feel every time we remember the love ones we left behind. It pains us every time when we realize the prize we have to pay for leaving “Home.” That part of us never left home. That space and longing sadly will always remain void for a lot of us. Thanks.

11. bulldog says:

How wonderful and congratulations on her appointment… may she be the Best ever…

12. Pingback: Megan Young, Miss World With A Purpose | SABAS LOG

I hope she capitalizes on her celebrity status to make a difference in many people’s lives.

• I hope so too. I believe she has in her that sincere desire to help plus I bet she has lots of family and friends who share her passions to make a difference as well. It takes one person to start a fire but it takes a community to create an awesome wildfire of change.

14. Lisa says:

She’s gorgeous :-)

15. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge – Saturation | Joe's Musings

16. ChgoJohn says:

What a beauty and such wonderful words to use to being her reign. Congratulations to her and to all of her countryman. You must be very proud — and rightly so.

• I am. I know by heart how much this means to a lot of Filipinos. It’s more than just a beauty competition for them. Somehow it unites all Filipinos scattered all over the world. It makes us feel we are part of our original home. Thanks.

17. Her inner beauty shines thru. You’re right, IT, that is too often overlooked. With her attitude, she will be a wonderful role model. I wish her all the best. Thank you for sharing.

18. munchow says:

Congratulations to Megan and all Filipinos – she is indeed gorgeous. I have to admit Miss World is not something I follow or even care much about, but it must be fun to see a fellow countrywoman reach the top in such a competition. Particularly if she can bring hope and pride to her country.

• Lately, been out of this kind of news too but thanks to my wife, I got updated. Yes, it’s a festive moment for my countrymen. To feel that spark of patriotism and unity the world over was just amazing. Thanks.

19. Sun says:

i admit, i did not know who won the Miss World – but thanks to you, i can say, she is lovely with a great smile – a wonderful moment. ♥

20. melanie says:

Her name is sooo English, I thought she was from US or another English speaking country, but she’s 1/2 American, I guess… :-) Number-2 has been Miss France who is really as gorgeous as Megan… :-)

21. The Pink Elephant says:

Well said but it’s obvious you have a crush on Megan. My goodness, this was a beauty pageant, one of many that filipinas such as Megan participates in, win or lose,m to gain popularity and perhaps make up endorsements, a career on tv and to get her face on a cover a magazine. The Philippines and its people has very little to be proud of that WE rest our hopes and pride as a people and as a nation in a boxer, a singer and now a beauty queen.
    I am more proud of the people that tries to clean up Manila Bay, Doctors and nurses that volunteers in public hospitals in Tondo Manila. Those are just a few things that I AM proud of and I celebrate as a filipino. You need to keep your admiration and infatuation to yourself and not express it as though Megan has done more than strut on stage in a swimsuit, an evening gown and a costume.
    I am more proud of little girls and boys I’ve witnessed collecting empty plastic water bottles to so they can sell them to help feed their families. I doubt the people in Manila, Caloocan, and Cavite that were devastated again by the recent floods were brought to tears with joy and their spirits were lifted because some filipina won a beauty contest. Megan should help the homeless by building them houses, cook and feed them maybe then she’ll gain some admiration from me until then she is just another beauty contestant who’s done and contributed very little to make her nation any better. It’s sad that with so much we all have to contend with day in and day out, you think we need to be inspired by a beauty contestant to strive to make a difference in the world. Ask an OFW who’s been away from for years, working countless hours to be able to earn and send money home so they can support their families, how little comfort and help this beauty pageant gave them in easing their burden. NONE.
    This post surely did not make any difference in the world not even on this block I live on.

• Thanks for sharing an eye opener of a comment. Let’s give her a chance to prove her worth or anyone holding a similar title and responsibility anywhere in our planet. People who has the means or connections to make a change can use that asset to help the forgotten of our society, the poor, the homeless, the sick and hungry. Social status is not a basis whether a person’s heart is good or bad. There are influential people around the world who do help. May be not a lot but they are out there. We have to believe and hope that people have the potential for something decent and good.

22. artisticmilestone says:

Wow ! we won! Thanx for posting this :)

• We did. Ain’t that great? Now it’s time to hope and pray she does make a positive change to a world badly needing it. For those who can’t speak. For those forgotten. For the helpless. God bless.

23. pennycoeclub says:

Wow! They are beautiful!

24. She is beautiful, IT and her words are very spiritually. A beautiful soul :) Pawkisses :)

25. She is and so are the rest of these beautiful women. Each represents the hope of their country. Thanks.

26. Angie says:

What a lovely tribute, IT! I watched it with hope and got a happy heart when she won. You’re right about her inner sincerity which shines when she answered the question and her thank you speech. I miss PHIL.! :)

• People reacted when she won, both the optimist and the pessimist. Looks like we belong to the optimist group which I think our world needs badly at the moment. Hope shines in different ways. Hope this time shown brightly with a beautiful smile. Ain’t that great? Thanks.

• Angie says:

It’s great, indeed! There will always be pessimists but I guess that’s because we all have a different outlook of what the world should be. My pleasure and thanks for this post. :)