How To Make A Halloween Wreath

Seasons are fleeting but infinite are the time, love and childhood memories we create, share and keep with our families.

Halloween Wreath

Hanging inside our entrance door is an evergreen wreath. All year round it stays pretty much the same, plain green. I like its simplicity. No external trappings. Uncomplicated. Peaceful. Holidays bring a transient euphoric feeling of excitement as colorful, fun decor and bright lights surround it. It springs back to life creating an infinite possibilities of images, laughter, stories and memories.

How To Create Your Own Halloween Wreath

This week, me and my wife thought of surprising our son with a DIY Halloween wreath. After school, we all head to Target for some pumpkin lights and Jack-O-Lanterns, then went to “all for a dollar” Halloween headquarters, the Dollar Tree. While I was busy gathering the spooky Halloween toys, my son was also busy completing his Ninja props of plastic nunchaku, swords and blades to go with his Dragon Ninja costume for trick or treating. Happily he called me and said, “Look dad, I’ll show you how to use the nanchuks.” It seemed fun until the nanchaku hit its target, me! I pulled back my arm and said, “Ouch, that kind of hurts.” He stopped and gave me his, “I’m so sorry” face.

Halloween Wreath

While sorting out our Halloween items, I heard a creepy sound, when a turned around, a spooky small zombie was walking slowly towards me. Whew! I’m glad it was only my 7-year old trying to give his dad heart palpitations.

As we decorate our wreath with bugs, critters, glow in the dark snakes, bats and rats, my son excitedly called my attention, “Hey, dad, check this out.” He pretended a purple spider came out of his mouth. I told him, “That’s gross and creepy.” He laughed so hard the spider fell on the floor. As he picked up the spider, I added, “Don’t do that again. It’s dangerous. You can choke on that.” He looked at me, gave me another, “I’m so sorry” face and said, “Okay, dad.”

Halloween Wreath

That day, my wife was also closing a 20 inches x 20 inches box she was sending to her parents in the Philippines. Thinking it was funny, my wife called my son and said, “Tape the plastic bugs inside the box so when grandma opens it, she will jump in surprise.” Her partner in crime was just so eager to help. They were both laughing as they placed the plastic bugs inside the box. To neutralize the scary, hilarious prank, my son drew a boy with a huge red heart and wrote, “I Love You.” As I listened to both, I could already imagine his grandma screaming as she opens the box. Grinning, I quietly told myself, “Oh, no! You guys are brewing some trouble.”

Halloween Wreath

That night, we turned off all the ceiling lights and just let the glow of the Halloween Wreath and the Jack-O-Lanterns fill our home. To complete the Autumn spirit, we lighted a pumpkin spice candle as we shared a delicious seasonal pumpkin flavored ice cream.

Halloween Wreath

Everyday, chances of infinite happy childhood and family memories knocks on our door. It’s a special treat that spice up each season and warms our hearts throughout the rest of the year when the wreath turns to an evergreen once more.

Before the year ends, create for yourself and your family a holiday wreath that will give a lifetime of reasons to celebrate each other.

Thank you for sharing your day with me. I wish you all an amazing month of October.

Related articles

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to How To Make A Halloween Wreath

Halloween is just around the corner!!!! Wuahaha!

2. bulldog says:

It looks fun and the kids seem to enjoy it… but as we have never celebrated halloween in our country .. being honest I don’t really catch on to the whole thing, but once again you prove that a family that does things together have fun no matter what the day is.. I love it..

• Thanks Bro. Any activity becomes a fun experience when we share it with family and friends. Celebration comes in both big and small packages. It’s only the last few years that I appreciated Halloween through a child’s perspective. Kids reminds us that there is wonder and magic around us all we have to do is “believe.”

3. You are celebrating Halloween every day in October with this wreath. What magic to pass on to your son. I’m inspired with all the ideas! Thank you for such a delightful post.

• After making the wreath, my wife said, “We should have done this every year. It feels nice to see it all lit up.” I think for as long as our kids are into to it, we should make their chidlhood as memorable as we can. My parents gave me an amazing childhood and I remembered how I can’t wait for next day’s surprises. I hope to share the same to my little boy. Thanks.

4. linda says:

From reading all your posts and seeing your photos, I can see that you and your family do everything together, and that there is such a lot of love in your home. I love what your wife and son did for Grandma, I had such a good giggle about that. We Don’t have Halloween in South Africa, but it seems like a lot of fun. Thank you for sharing.

5. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge / B4 Retouch: Infinite (Rome) | What's (in) the picture?

6. Lisa says:

Dollar Tree is one of the best stores ever! I so want to try this. Your wreath looks so cool.

• I am just walking distance to Dollar Tree. They got so much affordable stuff way cheaper than Wal-Mart or Target particularly Holiday and kids stuff. I’m thinking Thanksgiving theme next month. Thanks.

7. Pingback: Bu adamın yolculuğu | 06cedmuho

8. How fun ( and a bit creepy!) LOL Have a great Halloween!

9. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite | Processing the life

10. Pingback: Photo Project “52 Bolivian Sundays” [week 41, 'Infinite'] | 3rdculturechildren

11. Gail says:

What an awesome Halloween wreath and a fun family activity! I was in Target today and bought the same jack-o-lantern lights!

• Small world , right? As my son says, “Target is my favorite!” I agree totally with him. Target has a lot of cool stuff and they have the best clearance section with as low as 75% off and even 90% for post holiday items. I’m eyeing for the big Jack-O-Lantern when it goes on sale. Thanks Gail.

• Gail says:

I love Target’s seasonal decorations too. One question…. did you have as much fun putting those jack-o-lantern lights together as I did? LOL!

12. Family fun for this holiday that all ages enjoy.

How fun. We also enjoy Halloween That’s nice :)

• Halloween is global now. Even my nephews and nieces in the Philippines celebrate it too. I think it is something that make’s a child’s world even more amazing. It is also a time to remember and pray for dead relatives. Thanks.

14. Your wreath is fabulous and those pumpkins are a hoot! Nice job, everyone. Prepare to be infinitely inundated with goblins and ghouls!

• I was planning to decorate the wreath every season but been very busy that I only got to use it Christmas and now Halloween. I’m thinking Autumn stuff for next month. Seasons are so fleeting that we need to remember and celebrate the most we can with our families. Thanks.

15. ChgoJohn says:

What a great idea! Not only do you have a great wreath for your door but your family has wonderful memories to cherish. Pretty crafty, Dad. ;)

• Memories are priceless treasures to have for the entire family. It keeps us inspired everyday. It was fun creating the wreath. My wife asked me the other day, “How did you glued all that?” I laughed and said, “No glue needed. The wreath held everything by itself.” A bit spooky but real. Thanks.

I love all your decorations. You are such a creative, fun loving family. These again are going to be very happy memories for your son. Thanks very much for sharing! :-)

• I forgot that at one point in my elementary years I was best in Art. A bit rusty now but still haven’t forgotten how to brew creativity. It’s great to have a kid around that reminds you to relax, have fun, color the world with everything bright and happy. To celebrate holidays with excitement. Thanks.

I never knew anyone to get such fun out of life! It’s truly wonderful. You have such a happy home.
    You reminded me that my daughter (she’s 41 but still loves Halloween with a passion :) ) will be with me this year- the first time in many years on Halloween itself. I’d better start thinking about it!

• I try to bring fun and laughter in the home. The past few years been rough and tough. No matter what life brings us, we should never forget that laughter and happiness is within reach. That being with family is our real treasure and source of joy. Thanks.

18. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Infinite | Through the Eye of Bastet

19. Pingback: Sun dial, Delhi | Processing the life

20. Sun says:

another love filled event at your place. love the wreath making adventure and the surprise box sent home. you gave me a great idea with the taping of the bugs inside the box! i’m going to use this one. happy Halloween!! ♥

• Thanks Sunshine. No matter how old we get, we should not forget to bring surprises or be surprised in a fun, happy way. Halloween is but one of the holidays that stirs inspiration of making someone jump with excitement whether in a box or outside the box.

21. Thanks for your interest in “Tails from Paris”. We’re now following your blog.

Hey ! You know you can treat yourself with a little trip to Paris if you feel like it : http://sousnoscouettes.com/

And you’re back for dinner : we promise !

Alix & Roxane

22. Robbin says:

Wow you have a lot of creative ideas!

• Our world needs a bit of spice, colors and creativity. It helps me break the sometimes, “this is so crazy routines of work, stress and never ending problems.” Ha, ha, ha. Thanks.

23. What a creative masterpiece! I just might have to borrow your wreath idea and make one myself!! Thanks for sharing your family’s fun ideas :)

• It was more of playing and making fun memories with my second grader although the pumpkin lanterns were a bit hard. My son has more patience than me when it comes to building things like those tiny, hundreds of Lego pieces. Thanks.

24. munchow says:

I fun to read how you prepare and enjoy the Halloween with you son. What a great idea to make a wreath. Happy Halloween to you and your family!

• Every time I walk in and outside the door, the evergreen wreath seems to be asking, “When are you gonna find time to surprise me?” Finally its persistence paid of. It was a fun activity. Thanks.

25. Thanks for including a link to my post about Five DIY Halloween and Fall Wreaths! (http://thecreativephysician.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/five-diy-fall-and-halloween-wreaths/) Enjoying checking out your blog!

26. Very cool idea for a front door decoration and I love the do it yourself aspect of it. I bet Grandma is going to be surprised when she opens that box! How funny about your son’s Ninja costume. Both my boys are going to be ninjas too this Halloween.

• He wanted to be a Zombie Ninja but I was thinking my friend’s kids will probably freak out when they see each other for the costume party. He does karate and lately been obscessed with nunchuks, swords and star blades. He reminds me of me as a kid when those first ninja movies were shown…in black and white. I’m that old, huh? Thanks.

• I can only thank Lego with their Ninjago series for my kids’ interest in ninjas. :-)

• My son is into Ninjago too. He collected the 5 figures/Ninjas. He is into karate as well. I forgot that during my childhood days, I went to such a phase too. Our children reminds us of the amazing things we forgotten and now blessed to go back and relive all over again. Ain’t that cool? Thanks.

27. It sounds like your son is into the spirit of the holiday. Let’s hope Grandma doesn’t withhold treats for the trick played on her. :-) What fun! Our kids used to love the tricks they could play on trick-or-treaters.

• Yep, I do hope his grandma find it funny too and not the other way around. Halloween is a big hit here in America.Kind of like Christmas but without the pressure of shopping for gifts. Ha, ha, ha. Thanks.

28. mbventuro says:

What a charming blog! Thank you for stopping by my blog and giving it a thumbs up!

29. Tish Farrell says:

A tremendous creation.

30. Praveena says:

Delightful post .We never celebrates Halloween in our country,love your Halloween celebration.Hope surprise box will surprise his grandma :)Thanks for sharing !