8 Wishes And 2 Dozen Balloons

My life’s color hues changes constantly creating a spectrum of feelings, moods and emotions. I can go on and on enumerating what they are but in the end, there are only two colors I wish to keep and celebrate always, red for love and yellow for happiness. Yes, I got my share of blues, purples and greys but dwelling on them just wears me down. I choose to embrace color hues that inspires me to face another day, win another battle, conquer another fear and treasure in memory another unforgettable event.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

Days before his Birthday I asked my son, “What do you wish for your Birthday?” With twinkle in his eyes, he replied, “A bike and a Lego toy.” I added, “Anything else? You can make 8 wishes for your 8th Birthday.” Laughing, he answered, “A Lego Star Wars, a bike, bike, bike, bike, bike, bike and a bike.” Sounding confused, I asked him, “What do you mean?” Smiling, “Dad, I just wish for one bike and a Lego.”

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

On the day of his Birthday, me and his mom asked him, “So, where do you want to celebrate your Birthday?” He answered, “IHOP!” To make sure, I asked him again, “IHOP? Are you sure you don’t want sushi or pasta?” He explained, “IHOP dad because it makes my favorite pancakes with that yummy thing on top.”

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

Hours later, after indulging on a piece of Berry-Berry Brioche French Toast and a third of Spinach and Mushroom omelette, I told my wife, “Good thing he chose this place. Food’s delicious!” She smiled at me and said, “Yes, they were. Very affordable too.”

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

After our Brunch, we decided to extend our Birthday celebration by the beach. We thought of an outdoor place where our little boy had the happiest and fun of memories. Only one popped in our heads, Galveston Island State Park.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

Early that morning, my wife whispered, “Hey, I want to surprise our son with balloons and a cake by the beach.” Excitedly, I replied, “That sounds like an amazing idea.” We made sure he gets his favorite colors especially yellow and gold. We also added a balloon with a picture of a dog and a cat, both of which he adores.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

A child’s Birthday party is never complete without the cake. That morning, we bought him a simple cake from Kroger’s with colors of sea blue, deep purple and mysterious black. Perfect hues to go with the sea creatures and fishing rod toys he chose from Dollar Tree. We held the cake carefully in the car, making sure all icing stay in place.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

We reached the Galveston State Park around 4 P.M. The weather was beautiful. Cool breeze, clear skies, waters so gentle and calm. After finding our ideal spot, it was time to run and play with the balloons. Just when I thought everything was moving smoothly, something slipped from the basket I was holding. I heard a “plop” sound. I looked down and saw the cake face down. I froze for a few seconds. I then glanced at my wife and said, “Oh, oh!” Sounding alarmed my wife screamed, “What happened? What did you do?” Looking sad, I answered, “Luv, sorry. The cake just slipped.” Before she got upset, I assured her, “But it’s okay. We’ll just cover the bald spots with the toy fishes.” It worked!

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

We all sang the Happy Birthday song and asked our son to make his Birthday wishes. Smiling, he said, “I wish for a bike and a Lego toy.” I asked him, “Anything else?” He replied, “That’s it” and quickly blew the candle.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

Without using his hands, he dipped his mouth into the cake and started eating the icing. Grinning happily, he announced, “This is yummy. Mmm…”

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

After nibbling on the cake, Birthday Boy took the fishing rod on top of the cake and started fishing for the toy sea creatures. When he caught the octopus, he jumped and said excitedly, “Yipee! I got one!”

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

The beautiful golden Sun was slowly setting down the west horizon of Galveston Island. It was time to let the balloons fly. One by one, my son let go of the balloons starting off with the least of his favorite colors. His laughter filled the air as he chased the soaring balloons. As I watched the magic unfold before my eyes, I made the rest of the 6 wishes to complete the 8 wishes.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

With everything I’ve got, I wish for...

1. A world were he and all the children will be safe from harm, darkness and pain. A world where a child can  live without fear. A world where peace and equality reigns.

2. That he will experience a lifetime of blessings. Blessings like love, joy, good health and freedom from heartaches. If heartaches happen, may he be surrounded by people who will help him heal and believe once more.

3. Most if not all of his dreams to come true. Dreams that will give him meaning and contentment. Dreams that will give him true happiness and calmness from within.

4. Family and friends who will nurture him with a loving heart, inspire him to become his best and to support him without conditions.

5. That he will always have a pure heart of faith no matter how many tests and trials will come his way. To have a heart that believes in hope and goodness in others. A heart that is simple, generous, kind and forgiving. A heart that puts God first on top of everything.

6. That he will have tons of fun, happy, memorable Birthdays, candles to blow, wishes to make and balloons to let go with the people he loves.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

As we picked up the remaining balloon strings, me and my wife agreed that this Birthday Party was one of the best ones we’d been to. Best because long after the Sun disappeared and the last candle blown off, the light, joy and warmth that families give to each other continues.

8 wishes and 2 dozen balloons

Thank you for sharing your day with me and for sharing my wishes. Wishes are likely to come true when more hearts believe in them.

A blessed, beautiful day to all.

This entry was posted in Events, family, Family and friends, Inspiration, kids, Life, Love, nature, parenting, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to 8 Wishes And 2 Dozen Balloons

1. Harsha says:

Wow..What an Idea to celebrate your Kids B’Day..I wish him belated Happy B’Day and Wish he get all the happiness of life which I am sure with Parents like you.. :D

splendid idea…..and also a Very Happy Birthday to Number 1 son….. My favourite colour is yellow…all shades, it is a happy colour , the sun colour..so I wonder what my prediction wold say about my choice of colour

3. LavendarLadi says:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful day with us. I wish you many many more.

4. linda says:

WOW!! What a beautiful way to spend a birthday, love the balloons, sorry you dropped the cake, but you patched it up so beautifully. May all that you wished for your son come true. God bless you and your wonderful family.

• Thanks Linda. I hope and pray my wishes do come true for him and all the children out there especially the ones who lost and suffered so much at a very tender age. God bless you too and your family.

5. Still Times says:

Happy belated birthday to your son. Thank you for sharing your story. Your posts are always good for the soul, perfect with my coffee. Cheers!

6. Another heartfelt story about your family and you–very fitting for the challenge. Enjoy your weekend.

7. bulldog says:

Well I just believe that everything you and your son ever wish for will in time come true… a truly blessed post…

May your life be filled with all this color and with only enough darkness for solitude, rest, and groundedness.

9. M says:

How lovely. What a wonderful birthday ~ thank you for sharing.

10. Happy belated birthday to your little big man! Sounds like a great way to celebrate his birthday, right by the beach. Even with the smudged top, it still looked delicious and ready to eat. :-)
    And you can’t go wrong with Lego toys and a bike for an 8-year old boy. Sounds just perfect!

• It was a simple B-day but much more meaningful since it’s truly spent among people who are there for each other through the worst and best of times. When we are with family, everything seems happy and magical. Thanks.

11. Gail says:

Very nice post! Happy Birthday to your son! Sounds like he had a splendid birthday!!

12. There were so many (beautiful) balloons that I really feared that that rock and your son would take off. :-) Belated Happy Birthday wishes to your son.

I love your six remaining wishes for your son and all children. Excellent.

Sometimes when I read your posts I’m speechless. The warmth as well as colour that you create for all to share is quite magical. He is a wonderful boy and I loved every second of his special day. I so hope that all your wishes for him come true. Blessings to all of you. :)

• Thanks Jo. On his B-day he reminded me that it’s the simple things that makes us happy. He didn’t ask much but gave so much more everyday to me and his mom. With our family around it’s a celebration everyday.

How fun it is to celebrate birthday on the beach with dozens of balloonssss!!! You and your wife are wonderful parents!!!! :D Wish your son all the best!!!!

• We try our best to make his childhood the happiest it could be just like what our parents did. We do have our shortcomings. Everyday something new to learn and improve. Thanks ,

15. When the time comes, I would like to be dad like you :)

16. You have created beautiful memories for your son on his birthday Island Traveler, ones that will plant seeds in his heart for a lifetime and that will burst forth in living colour like the Rainbow giving Hope for a beautiful tomorrow.

Christian Love Always from both of us – Anne

• Thanks Anne. It is my wish that my son and his generation will have all the beautiful colors in their hearts so they can create a better world for one another. They are infer the hope of tomorrow. God bless.

17. ChgoJohn says:

Happy Belated Birthday to your Little Man. I hope the year to come is filled with days every bit as happy as his day at the beach.

• I hope so too. He finished his Lego Saturday and he looked so happy of its outcome. He built it in one morning and it was meant for age 9-14. I’m happy that he is happy. As parents, we need to support our kid’s dreams, big or small, possible to kind of impossible. No limits to a heart that believes, right? Thanks.

18. Tammy says:

What a lovely birthday! You must see the movie Wadjda about a 10 year old girl who wants a bike.

• Thanks. I will check that movie. Kids reminds us that happiness comes in simple packages. That we can have a humble party for three and still feel like it was the party of the century.

19. A most perfect birthday. Your son sounds like one in a million. (To your credits) He deserves your wishes and more. Happy birthday to him. :-)

20. dianewrites says:

Your post came in perfect timing as I’m having my quiet time before sleeping. Great and inspiring post!

21. mariannegv says:

Happy birthday for your sun! I think that the best present is that he has a loving, happy family every day.
    Kind greetings,