Thanksgiving By A Second Grader

While standing at Kroger waiting for my wife to finish her groceries, my son pulled my hand and said, “Dad, let’s go to the school supplies section. I need a poster board for a project.” I asked him, “What project? You don’t have school this Thanksgiving week.” He insisted that he has and found the cheapest board. Curious of what project he had in mind, I bought one poster board.

20131129-063206.jpg
After dinner wearing his holiday pajamas, my 8-year old grabbed his markers and started his poster. He doesn’t want me to know what it is and wants to surprise me once it’s finished so he said, “Dad, don’t look. I’ll show it to you when I’m done.” When he wasn’t looking, I took a quick peak. It was about Thanksgiving with his family.

20131129-063830.jpg

So, what’s Thanksgiving through an 8-year old perspective? It starts with a picture perfect day of blue and purple clouds with lots of yellow happy sunshine. All over the Autumn sky are flying W’s which I assume where migrating birds. As he drew them my son kept saying, “Go W’s, fly, fly , fly.”

20131129-064700.jpg

Then it’s “Gobble, gobble time ” or turkey time. The turkeys were so adorable that my son chose to keep them as pets. You may ask, “What about the roasted turkey for dinner?” Hmm, we still did but I’ll explain later.

20131129-065529.jpg

It was a cold night, so shearing the sheep was the next activity to make a warm comfy wool jacket.

20131129-065756.jpg

Time to make a pumpkin pie but first we need to harvest them at our pumpkin garden guarded by a pumpkin scarecrow.

20131129-070050.jpg

Thanksgiving is first about spending a wonderful time with friends and family, sharing each other’s blessings. Sharing each other’s reasons to be thankful about. Then it’s also about sharing food. A delicious medley of mouth-watering food. A friend cooked an oven roasted golden brown turkey and pineapple glazed ham which sizzled every taste bud in pure holiday delight. These were but the teaser of the rest of the Fall harvest we shared on our dinner table. Before we ate, we said a short prayer making sure we remembered those who may not have anything to eat at all and prayed that God will bless them through the generosity and kindness of others.

20131129-070750.jpg

As we ate dessert, exchange amazing stories and laughter, our friend turned on the fireplace, creating warmth and a beautiful glow inside the living room.

It was a magical night. Why? It’s because all these things that happened on Thanksgiving were drawn by my 8-year old two days prior to the actual event. Minus the purple clouds, the sheep, the pet turkeys and flying W’s, everything pretty much happened.

Thanksgiving is also about having a magical moment with family and friends. Of creating a holiday celebration that warms our heart and renews our soul.

Everyday, is a chance to be thankful towards the very people that meant the world to us.

Everyday is an opportunity to say thank you for our blessings and gifts God generously blessed us through the years.

From my home to yours, Happy Thanksgiving.

This entry was posted in kids and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Thanksgiving By A Second Grader

1. rommel says:

You’re truly is very much involved and engaged with his surroundings, with different activities and with your bond together.
    Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

2. bebs1 says:

Already as an 8 year old, he knows what he has to be thankful for. Beautiful Thanksgiving post.

• I hope to teach him to appreciate the simple joys in life. To be thankful of every blessing that come our way. We live in a very materialistic world and it’s up for us parents to show our kids that happiness is something from within. Of knowing how much we are loved and valued and not from having expensive things that are forgotten in time. Thanks.

I can’t think of any family anywhere I would rather wish Happy Thanksgiving to than yours, Mr. B! What a gift to the world you all are. Isn’t it wonderful to see life through 8 year-old eyes? :)

4. bulldog says:

The first photo had me do a double take… the one crayon looks like a cigarette… but once again you have such a beautiful family life… an absolute gift that many can see as an example of how a family should be… truly a blessing you have there as a son.. I love this post and blog…

5. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

6. Gail says:

This is just precious and made me smile. You have much to be thankful for in that very wise-for-his-age son of yours! I love the poster, especially the two turkeys and the house. One of the best Thanksgiving posts I’ve read… Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks Gail. My son reminds me everyday that we can be happy with the simplest of things. He reminds me of who I was as a kid and the many amazing traditions I forgotten as adult. God bless.

7. Beautiful, creative artwork – thank you for sharing this heartwarming piece of your son’s experience. Hug him tightly…

This is so precious and wil become evenmore so as the years go by. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you and your lovely family!

9. It’s so uplifting to see the creativity of a child, and yours certainly brought a smile to my day. Thanks.

10. What a beautiful work of art for Thanksgiving. I love that your son wanted to adopt the turkeys as pets. You should tell him the US president pardons several turkeys every year, it will make him feel better. And I love his penguin PJs, very cool!

• Thank you. The penguin pajamas is his favorite. Perfect for the Winter Holidays. Kids light up our world and make any ordinary day extraordinary. Best wishes to you and your family.

11. Mel says:

Thank you for this heartwarming post. I always love reading your blog! May you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving :)

12. What a lovely imagination! You sun has such a creative talent. Make sure to keep it alive! And enjoy the rest of the weekend!

13. Out of the mouths and minds of babes . . .
    Hope your day was blessed! We are doing ours tomorrow!

It’s wonderful to memorialize the thoughts and interpretations of your son this way. It shows his insights. Years from now, he can see this and think, “whoa! I said that? I did that?”

• I wish my parents had a way to record my childhood other than memories and a bunch of pictures. It would be cool to look back of how we were as kids on video or blog. Yes, I hope that when he got older he would say, “Whoa,” as he looks at them. Thanks.

15. Adorable :-) Thank you for sharing!

I love this! It is very awesome. I especially love the picture of bringing the pumpkin to the table. Your son definitely had the Thanksgiving spirit. Very cool story by pictures.

17. Sun says:

so, so wonderful! have a happy Thanksgiving weekend, IT :)

18. ChgoJohn says:

8 years-old and already he knows what’s important. It’s wonderful to see and a testament to the way you and you wife have raised him. I’m glad that you and your family had such a nice Thanksgiving.

• Thanks John. I hope and pray that he grows up understanding and living the true meaning and significance of the Holidays. And definitely it’s “not” about the crazy post Thanksgiving shopping madness. Ha, ha, ha.

19. I just love these works of art from your 8 year old! Let him continue to keep the creativity alive. I can see that you had a great Thanksgiving…sharing magical moments and creating warm, lasting memories. Have a great week!

Ah, art work to be treasured!! Happy Thanksgiving to you all! :-)

21. I love your son’s creative mind and his art. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did as well.

22. I so enjoyed seeing the world through your son’s eyes. What a happy and creative little boy he is, and so blessed to have such loving parents. :)

• Children have a way to bring the magic the see and feel through words and images. Just so happens we are there standing with them to be a part of it all. Ain’t that great? Thanks.

23. A beautiful remembrance of Thanksgiving Island Traveler, I’m sure many were touched by your heart thoughts.

Much Love , Joy and many Blessings to you and your Loved ones for Christmas and the New Year from both of us, thank you for all we have shared together .

How wonderful that the heart of Christmas continues all year, when we Love The Lord and each other from the heart.

Christmas Love – Anne.

• Thanks Anne. Christmas is my favorite. The best ones I remembered was in the Philippines were everyday in December is Christmas Day celebration. Now, I hope to bring the same cheerful spirit in my home, just the simpler kind. Christmas is after all about faith and love of family. God bless…

24. omel07 says:

I haven’t read your blog in a while. I missed it! Your son is as adorable as always.The W’s part was especially cute. My, he’s grown up since last time I read about him. Also, I agree that we should give thanks to everyone who means a lot to us every single day. A very magical Thanksgiving post. Well done!

• So sorry to hear about your family in Tacloban. That was one horrific experience. I’m glad that they are safe now although we all know the aftermath has also been so hard and scary. My thoughts and prayers for them. Me and my co-workers are still raising funds and supporting SheterBox to provide some sense of comfort and dignity for our countrymen more so that it’s the holidays. I hope people continue to help in whatever way they can. The road to recovery will take some time and lots and lots of help.

• omel07 says:

I’m sure the people will continue to show their support. Hand in hand, we will rise up one again. The beauty of the typhoon-hit cities and provinces will be restored, albeit rather slowly.

25. That was inspiring… and a good initiative from your son! He is creative and truly brilliant! Kudos to him and of course to both you and your wife. As a Filipino and blogging friend, I’m proud of you!

26. Beautiful post!! I love your son’s poster. It certainly is filled with lots of magic. You’ve put a smile on my heart once again. Thank you! All the best ~Sophia

made me smile too… I just noticed that my reader is not picking up your recent post :?