One Christmas Day

One Christmas Day, one family braved Winter’s chill to capture and create their perfect family Christmas picture. It was a crazy idea but they followed their heart and that’s all that really mattered.

One Christmas Day

Other than their home, the beach serves as their sanctuary and escape. A place they had the happiest and fun of memories. A place that reminds them of a country and of families they left so long ago but always yearned to revisit especially during Christmas time.

One Christmas Day

The waters were icy cold. Laughing and running around help warmed them up but for about 10 minutes, they can’t feel their feet. Shivering they smiled and yelled,”Cheese,” which really sounded like “Cheezzzz,” as their lips and teeth started to quiver.

DSC_1147

Did they capture that one perfect family Christmas picture? They did. Their smiles reflected the joy and warmth they felt in their hearts despite of their hands and feet all numb and cold. Yes, they had a crazy idea but it was one fun, unforgettable idea.

One Christmas Day

One Christmas Day, Santa came to town and made one boy’s wish come true. The excitement and happiness on his face was a reminder why Christmas Day is a magical time for all children the world over.

one christmas day

My son jumped excitedly when he saw a huge present from Santa. He jumped higher, smiling, ecstatic and all when he realized he got his wish list, the Star Wars Droid Carrier Ship.

DSC_1593

20131227-023738.jpg

Added to his excitement were the Star Wars Action Figures inside the Christmas stocking hanging by our patio door.

one christmas day

Little Elf gave him a small present too, a Star Wars 3D watch. It makes a “Tic-tac” sound reminding him that Little Elf is thinking of him even if he’s already in the North Pole. Next to his present is an adorable letter from Little Elf which he read aloud for his mom and dad to hear.

20131227-023507.jpg

Speaking of Little Elf, here are the rest of his Christmas adventure called “Finding Little Elf.”

3 Days Before Christmas

20131227-064620.jpg

“Little Elf, Little Elf where are you? Up the palm tree you went using a candy cane and climbing shoes. Are those snowflakes on the palm leaves Little Elf?

2 Days Before Christmas

20131227-024921.jpg

“Little Elf, Little Elf where are you? Wow! Great job starting the Gingerbread House. Now, let me find my dad so he can help me apply the frosting and glue the colorful peppermint candies.

one christmas day

What’s the best gift we could ever give? Love. Love that glues our family and community together. Love that can withstand any storm. Love that unites people and make this world a better, kinder place to live in.

One Christmas Day, Jesus was born bringing new hope and much-needed faith for so many. As we stood outside the manger, a beautiful light glowed on his face. We felt his great, generous love as we sing to him “Happy Birthday.”

20131226-193449.jpg

Wishing everyone one Christmas Day full of blessings today and the years to come.

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, Events, family, Inspiration, Life, parenting, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to One Christmas Day

1. Wonderful that you took your family and yourself to the beach for renewal. Nature will do that with gusto. I wish for your family and you a marvelous year ahead.

2. hoe fun! i laughed when i saw the highly creative approach to the christmas portrait! thank you for taking us on a barefoot jog down the beach, cold weather or warm , it was great and i feel more alive from the time spent with all of you!

I send you my love and best wishes for a Happy New Year, in this I include your son, your dear wife and all your relatives in the storm torn Philippines. I really hope thar 2014 will be a better year to remember

• I hope 2014 will be a good, happy year. So much unexpected sad events but also so much joy and things to be greateful about. Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year.

4. The perfect Christmas photo is with your backs to the camera. Perfect. My nephew received the Star wars Droid ship too and that is all he played with for the next two days we visited. And he has never seen the movies, only the tv cartoon series.

5. Beautiful photo. The beach is rejuvenating, but I wouldn’t have braved the cold – even for this memorable experience. ;-) Glad you had a wonderful Christmas. All the best to you and your family in 2014.

• Thanks. Cold but fun. It was actually a great day with clear blue skies and a beach all to ourselves. Happy New Year and best of everything for 2014.

• Thank you also Island Traveler for all you do to help those in need following the typhoon in the Philippines. You have brought joy, hope and inspiration to many – including those of us stateside that want to know how to help.

On a personal note, WordPress listed you as my most active commenter in its 2013 annual review. Thank you for your comments and support. I really do appreciate that and wish you and your family all the best in 2014.

6. Looks like a great time! Love the pic of your son looking at the nativity. I wish we would all (including me) focus more on that and away from Santa. His story has been overblown and takes away from the true meaning of Christmas. The little note from the elf was so cute though.

• I so agree. I grew up having the Nativity and birth of Jesus as the highlight of Christmas, with of course our family sharing some great times over laughter, great food, games, stories and simple gifts. That was more than 30 years ago and so much has changed. It is still worth trying to bring back what Christmas truly means. Happy New Year.

7. The shot of you three on the beach is priceless. Absolutely beautiful. Happy holiday, IT. :-)

8. What a cool family picture. Is that a family tradition? If not it should be :) merry Christ mas and all the best for the new year.

9. janna hill says:

Love the family photo. Backsides/ posterior shots are under appreciated. No seriously it is beautiful!

What a great present! Happy Christmas.

11. Sonel says:

Beautiful Christmas memories indeed and great photo’s. I am glad you and your family had so much fun my friend. Wishing you all of the best for 2014. :D *hugs*

12. Wow, that was a Star Wars Christmas alright. Those action figures look great! I bet your son couldn’t believe his eyes. And how kind of your elf to leave him a present too. Ours just left us a note, but it was sweet. Merry Christmas to you and your family. The beach is the perfect place to celebrate and feel refreshed.

• He had a great time with his present from us, family and friends. Just like your son, he loves Legos anything Star Wars. Happy New Year to you and your family. Wishing you a 2014 full of amazing possibilities.

13. amazing moments with family. The fun factor is obvious! :)

14. Imelda says:

What lovely gorgeous family photos and what beautiful memories. Merry Christmas and a blessed new year to you and your family. :-)

I adore the beach photo with the decorations, so creative and a treasure for the future. I love the way you celebrate Christmas together, a magical time for all of you. Happy New Year to all of you my friend!

• I only got 2 days off then, 23 and 24th. Had to work Christmas Day but then, we can make the few days we have to make Christmas magical and creative for our family. Happy New Year to you and your family.

16. Sartenada says:

I enjoyed Your post very much. Lovely photos which caused to my mind many memories from the time when my children were small.

17. thirdeyemom says:

Wonderful post! Merry Christmas and all the best in 2014!

18. Praveena says:

Beautiful post.What a beautiful family picture ! I am glad you had beautiful Christmas with your family.Wish you Happy new year !

19. eva626 says:

I love his pjs!!! and the gingerbread house! and the beach pictures…awesome!

20. ChgoJohn says:

Looks like you shared a beautiful Christmas together and I enjoyed reading about it. I hope your New Year’s is every bit as memorable for you all.

21. rommel says:

Layers of great Christmas memories, and I love each one. That really is a perfect family Christmas photo. That gift, it’s huge. His reaction upon opening his gifts much be priceless for you to see. I also love the excerpt of the Little Elf, Little Elf. *thumbs up*. And that last picture … exquisite!

What a wonderful Christmas you and your little Star Wars fan had together :) And Little Elf makes a mean gingerbread house! Love and best wishes to you for 2014. I know you’ll make more magic together.

• Yes, Little Elf was in his creative element. Plus he had a magical glue gun to hold everything in place. Last year’s Gingerbread’s house using frosting as glue wasn’t as impressive. Happy New Year my friend and thanks for making 2013 a year to remember for our blogging community.

I love your family Christmas photo!!! Fantastic!
    Sending you wishes for a wonderful 2014 and many more memory making adventures with your family.

24. What wonderful Christmas memories! Your love for the beach shines through in all that you do.
    I love the photos:-)

• Thanks. Christmas time was and is the happiest of holidays for me growing up and I hope to share that same magic to my son. One day, he too will have the chance to share that magic with his own family and generation. The gift of Christmas begins with each one of us.

25. kelihasablog says:

Very nice! I love all the pictures. :D Makes me remember when mine were small…. Good post!

• Thanks. Never too late to awaken those childhood Christmas joy once again. All we have to do is see and experience Christmas like a child does. Best part, our kids will make it easier for us to do so. Happy New Year.

• kelihasablog says:

True.. I’m waiting on grandchildren! LOL I have one, but she is almost 8 and always spends Christmas with her other grandparents in West Virginia. My daughter is moving back here after her husband finishes getting his Dental Pediatric Degree. He said he just didn’t enjoy the grown ups as much as the kids…LOL. So, now 2 more years of school, we hope! :D

26. Sun says:

a belated holiday cheer to you and family, IT…i enjoyed your other post with the start of Elf’s adventure. the comment box was missing so letting you know how delightful it was to read your answers to your son’s Christmas questions. funny how we follow tradition without really knowing the history behind them. wishing you a very happy New Year, lots of blessings, prosperity and good health. ♥

• Happy New Year my friend. You too inspire me with your big heart and positive perspective of life, love and faith. Wishing you an awesome 2014. As for Little Elf, he did a great job in making Christmas fun and exciting. I told me, “Next Christmas, it will be even more magical.” Can’t wait…..

27. Your love of Christmas really shines through in your posts. It all looks magical. :)

28. bebs1 says:

Oh this is so heartwarming! That family photo on Christmas Day was just perfect and different. You are a wonderful husband and father Island Traveler. I wish you the best this coming new year!

29. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

This is so beautiful. All the pictures are gorgeous.

Going to the beach is MY KIND OF OCCASION. I would have been there, and swimming – icy cold or not, I love feeling so alive.

So sweet, your son. Bless your beautiful family :)

30. Beautiful pictures. The one with all of you on your back, with the candy cane, wreath and Christmas tree, I believe is “magazine-worthy” photo. Happy New Year to you and your family.