Joy In Giving Campaign For 2014

The Best And The Worst Of 2013

2013 is a year of many events. The worst, the best, the most tragic, the most inspiring, the most heroic, the saddest, the most joyful and triumphant of spirit. It is a year of giving and caring, of people uniting in moments of misery and devastation. It is a year of hope and hanging on to faith. To believe once more in everyday miracles and the capacity for human goodness.

ShelterBox Typhoo Haiyan

Joy In Giving Campaign For 2014

joy in giving

A woman was sitting next to her typhoon-torn house. A question, “What will I feed my family for Christmas?” was written all over her worried face. From out of nowhere, two hands with a basket full of holiday food reached out from a car window. The woman inside the car simply said, “Maligayang Pasko po, manang, ” which meant “Merry Christmas, ma’am.” The woman with the worried face looked at her in complete disbelief as she accepted the gift. What followed next was a smile of truest joy and gratitude. Christmas came in its purest form to the worried woman and her family that day. Her smile and reaction to a random act of selfless kindness was but one of the hundreds that day. The same very smile that will inspire so many to keep giving and sharing for many years to come.

On her 45th Birthday, a friend made a wish. Her wish was to bring joy, comfort and sense of dignity for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan. She created a community in ShelterBox called “Bangon Pilipinas” which translates to “Rise Philippines,” with a goal to raise $10,000. So far, with the help of generous family, friends and kind-hearted strangers, she raised $8,000 that became a gift of hope and comfort for so many in the typhoon ravaged areas of the Philippines. Her story and the millions of new day heroes inspired me to start the New Year with the “Joy In Giving” campaign.

joy of giving

Faces Of Joy

There are times when words don’t do justice to what real joy feels like. It is something we feel from within and during unguarded moments becomes so transparent through our eyes and facial expressions.

joy of giving

On his way home, pulling his Carabao or Water Bufallo behind him, a man stood startled and surprised when a stranger from out of nowhere just handed him a basket for his “Nuche Buene” or Christmas dinner. The joy on his face, totally transparent and priceless!

joy of giving

My Wish For 2014

Joy In Giving Campaign For 2014

Today, I made a commitment to support ShelterBox and other donation agencies that seeks to help the countless victims of calamities and other forms of suffering. Instead of making a list of New Year’s resolution about me, I hope to create a New Year goal that involves helping others in need. My wish? That my blogger community and those who read this post will share my dream for 2014 and the years to come. That they too will embrace a charity they are passionate about, spread its mission and be a part of the new day heroes for human and animal kindness.

20131230-063441.jpg

Everyone went home smiling with the true meaning of Christmas burning in their hearts. That day, someone answered their wish and prayer. That day, a Christmas miracle came knocking at their door and renewed their faith in other people. That day, the “Joy in Giving” campaign has began and became a reality for them.

20131230-063511.jpg

One Dollar, One Dream, One Life

The cost of a 2 liters Coca Cola soda, $1.50. Cost of a Grande Starbucks brewed coffee, $1.65. Cost of Big Mac burger, $3.20. Cost to sustain life, $1.00.”

There is power in numbers. What may be a not so significant $1.00 to one person can become a potential life changing $10,000 or more for others when a great number of people come together as one heart united to share one cause and one purpose.

20131211-201701.jpg

As we welcome 2014, let us take a moment to reflect on the many blessings, lessons and events of 2013. So many of them change our perspective in life and the world around us. So many of them altered and changed our lives in ways we never dreamt possible. In all, we are grateful that we are alive and well, surrounded by people we love.

10, 9, 8….3, 2, 1…Happy New Year!

For those who want to join the Joy In Giving Campaign community, create a post about the cause and charity you wish to share. Link this post and add in your tag Joy In Giving Campaign For 2014. As part of this community, we will strive to support and help each other in whatever way we can.

This entry was posted in 31 Days Of Christmas, Events, family, Inspiration, Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Joy In Giving Campaign For 2014

1. Pingback: Joy « blogagaini

2. I am so humbled by your campaign. Best wishes to efforts that help Typhoon Haiyan victims. Amazing photostory, IT.

• Thanks Georgette. It feels good to do something for others, especially the ones whose lives were torn by calamities and disasters, nature or man made. A great way to start 2014.

Love you all loads..2014 will be a special year..I just know it

4. Amar Naik says:

lovely. the joy of giving is a great way to celebrate joy

• Indeed it is. No matter how small, it makes a difference to someone else life. Multiplied in numbers, even a bigger hope and comfort for others in need. Thanks. Happy New Year.

5. Pingback: Joy In Giving Campaign For 2014 « donniebishop

6. I wish that your family and you have a joyous and peaceful New Year, and that you fulfill your worthy goals of helping others. There are so many ways to advocate. I’m sure that your efforts will be fruitful.

• Thanks Sally. We all can be a voice of change for those who can’t whether in words or images. Blogging and social media are perfect for spreading our hope for a better, kinder, generous world. Wishing you and your family all the best for 2014.

7. clarbojahn says:

I have given to my local Salvation Army and my local food bank. We have also given to amnesty International and Smile. There are other places we have given to but I can’t remember, Just our favorite Rescue called Evermay Farm, where my second picture book takes place. It is a time of giving , isn’t it?

so glad you care. Take good care, Dad.. Happy new Year!! Happy 2014!!

• Thanks for making a difference in our world and the people around you. Big or small, there is always something we can do. It’s also a good example to our young ones that we try to share and help others in need. Happy New Year to you and your family.

What a joyful way to start the New Year! Your posts always leave a warm feeling. This one can help sustain our world. Thank you, Mr. B. 2014 will be packed with joy for you and your family. :)

• Thanks Jo. I am inspired by my friend who is passionate with ShelterBox and helping direkly the victims in the coastal towns of Panay Island. The smiles and joy on the peoples faces…priceless! Happy New Year to you and your family.

9. Inspirational, IT. Thanks for a year of heart warming posts. Happy New Year.

10. bebs1 says:

More than any forgotten New Year’s resolutions. The joy of giving works both ways – all winners and no losers. Best wishes to you and your family!

11. thirdeyemom says:

Wonderful post! It is so important to give back to the countless people in need. Happy New Year! Wishing you a wonderful 2014! :)

• Thank. 2013 had its unforgettable life changing disasters but it also was a year the world witness humanity’s great heart for kindess and generosity. In 2014, we have so much time to even create a bigger positive difference. Happy New Year to you and your family.

12. The story you share reminds me of one I saw recently online, about this man who used 20th century money to help people after the typhoon.

You have a great goal for 2014 and this is a great example of generosity for your son. I try to support local causes with my kids so they can understand how their donations can affect their community. This year we did our local food bank through school (also getting food from my friends), and a local orphanage in Tijuana. Until you have absolutely nothing to give, most of us can give a little bit at a time.

• Thanks for sharing the link. Casey and all those who supported her cause inspired the world over. So much of people the world over needs our help. No matter how small, it makes a significant impact on others. 2014 is a perfect year to continue helping others as one community. A blessed New Year to you and family.

13. bulldog says:

Happy New Year to you as well my Friend… this was a brilliant post…

• Thanks Bro. It’s so easy to be all about “us” during the holidays but now that the holiday lights and spectacle has dimmed and quieted down, we have more room to go back to what we are passionate about. My son, asked me a few days ago while making this post, “Dad, why do you do it?” I simply told him, “Because I want to help others.” He answered, “Oh,” and went back playing his Legos. He actually wanted to use the computer to play Minecraft. One day, when he gets older and when he reads all these post, he will even have a bigger picture of why I do it. Happy New Year and best wishes to your family.

14. jazperjay says:

You are amazing! Thank you! God Bless you and your family! :D

• I’m not really amazing but thank you. So many amazing people in 2013 who responded to the Philippines and else in the world. God bless and best of 2014 to you and your family.

15. It’s a great cause. Really nice to see such a socially relevant topic here.

16. Pingback: Joy! While waiting for April… | Words 'n Pics...

I commend you beyond question, bro. WIth this act–to help the people in need–is an unparalleled, larger than life. You’re one of God’s many ways of saying he truly cares for us.

• Thanks. I told my wife,”it’s so easy to be wrapped up in our own problems but when we look at the sufferings of others, we realized it’s not even a fraction of what others go through.” When we keep ourselves busy helping and open our hearts for generosity, we forget about our worries and focus on our blessings and positive aspects of life. Sometimes I also have my down and negative moments and family reminds me to shift gear and look on the bright side. Just human right? Happy New Year to you and family.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

19. elisapompili says:

How wonderful that you had so many photos to include with ‘Joy’. A full year, indeed. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the pingback!

• I wish I actually was there giving the gifts myself. I just saw my cousins via Facebook giving food too to families in rural Capiz affected by the typhoon. A moving, inspiring moment. The more we give, the more our world becomes a better place to live. Thanks. Happy New Year.

20. Pawkisses for a Happy, Healthy New Year. Let’s make it a good one :)

21. mariannegv says:

Happy New Year 2014 for you and your family!

22. Still Times says:

You are so inspiring! Thank you for sharing this post and the great photo’s with us.

Maria

• Thanks Maria. Seeing my friend pour her heart and effort to atleast bring a piece of Holiday joy and comfort to the Typhoon Haiyan inspired me to make this post and make 2014 a year of giving. She’s almost close to het $10,000 goal but I do believe it’s just gonna keep growing. There is no limit to human generosity and goodness.

• Still Times says:

Awe I like your words, “There is no limit to human generosity and goodness”. So many of us are so blessed to have a roof over our heads and a meal on the table, it’s hard not to be charitable and share the Lord’s blessing with others. A little can go a long way. I’m on board and support your initiative in this campaign.

Maria

23. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

This is utterly beautiful – true essence of Christmas indeed. Just beautiful.

I hadn’t heard of Shelter Box before so believe me, you have put the word out.

I wish you a happy 2014, and peace, wellness.

• Until my friend started ShelterBox at work, I too didn’t know about it. She did a lot of research and I have seen the pictures of ShelterBox at work in the Philippines and all over the world needing shelter and emergency supplies. Moving and inspiring every time I see new updates about it. Kind of Habitat for Humanity but instead of houses, it’s emergency shelter during the most immediate and critical needs post calamities. I saw many people giving food, water, clothing but at night so many are left shivering in the cold and harsh weather. Happy New Year.

24. rommel says:

Ever since I get this job I still have right now, $120 – $240 goes to my choice of charities every year. You really are a kind soul, IT. Not only you are showin concern for others, but you are sharing that awareness for all the world to hear. I applaud you.

• Typhoon Haiyan opened my eyes and heart to whats really important in life. It’s so easy to be engrossed in our own personal world whether we are at the top of that world or struggling to make it. Seeing the loss and devastation of brought by the typhoon put me to shame when I remember the times I whined and complained about my problems. It was a life changing event for so many around the world. Happe New Year bro.

25. Arindam says:

Bro this post shows your kindness and generosity. It’s a great post bro. I wish most of the people in the world are going to share the same dream someday. The pictures shows how much these little contribution from others means to others.
    Wishing you and your family a happy new year bro!! :)

• Thanks Bro. I believe so many already started that dream in 2013 when the world responded with selfless kindness and generous help for the vicitms of the calamities. As for rebuilding after storm, we barely scratch the surface of starting over. So much work to be done and I pray people will not get tired opening their hearts for those crying for help.

26. IT, I applaud you for all you are doing to make the lives of others better. What are we here for if not to make the lives of others easier? (paraphrasing George Eliot). May God bless and reward you for all the good you have done and will continue to this year. Best wishes to you and your family as you spread the joy.

• Least I could do and share for all the blessings God blessed me and my family for 2013. For days after the storm, I wasn’t able to get hold of my family in the Philippines. Knowing they are safe and that just before Christmas, they finally got electricity, phone service and a bit of comfort, made me truly happy. It still breaks my heart though when I see and read stories of families who lost their love ones and everthing they had. This post is a tribute to them. That they will never be forgotten. That in 2014, more people will choose to give and be a part of one global community striving to be make our world a better place for those in suffering. Thanks for sharing and have a great New Year.

27. TBM says:

What a lovely post and very inspirational. So many people in this world need kindness and like you said, one dollar isn’t much for some of us. Happy new year to you and your family.

28. Karyl says:

Happy New Year! Love your spirit of giving. Thanks for following my blog!

29. Thank you for sharing.

30. Indira says:

‘ Joy In Giving’ what a beautiful, inspiring phrase. Whatever you an do you are doing. Blessings.

31. Seenorway says:

You really seem to have a nack when it comes to redecorating christmas trees :-) and I strongly contemplate if I should adapt yout excellent techniques in that field!
    Thanks for subscribing to my blog! At the moment there are more that 2400 ‘full screen’ photos from Norway displayed and more will be coming. Please enjoy!

Very moving and inspiring post, IT! My husband and I give charities instead buying presents for each other for Christmas…

33. Jennifer G says:

Beautiful post! I’m also trying to give more in 2014!