Natural Resources And Other Precious Objects

“Nature has the most beautiful, priceless of objects that we can find. Objects that we need to sustain life. Objects that inspires us to live life.”

family

The past several days, my wife and I had been brain storming with our second grader with his school project about natural resources, man-made objects, renewable energy and recycling. I felt like I was back in grade school researching and all but only this time it seemed harder. Those years of stock knowledge really got “stuck.”

family

“When it comes to appreciating nature, size doesn’t matter. Big shoe or little shoe the heart that loves nature and the spirit for adventure are pretty much the same.”

Natural resources are in our environment. Examples are land to plant fruit and vegetables for food, water for drinking, wood from trees in our forests, Sun for solar energy, wind, air, minerals, coal, fossil fuel, fish and animals.

After a few discussions and a unanimous decision, we chose wood as our natural resource.

20140205-013815.jpg

I summarized my 8-year old’s school project with a collage using Pic Collage App.

20140207-001544.jpg

Yesterday, we went to school all excited. My son placed his school project inside a huge shoe box as he ran towards the car. Just before we left the house, we let him read his presentation twice. First one sounded more like a whisper, the second, louder but he said it too fast I didn’t understand some of the words. I crossed my fingers and hoped his actual presentation will be better. Just before we entered the school’s main entrance I told him, “Remember to speak loudly, clearly and slowly. Good luck.” He replied, “Okay, dad.”

20140207-001704.jpg

Just before I went to work, I noticed my son rewriting his presentation almost in tears. I asked my wife, “Why is he writing the school project again?” Looking sad, my wife replied, “He didn’t pass his presentation and needs to repeat it tomorrow.” His teacher wrote a graded summary of his performance including his responses to her questions. She also wrote emphasis on areas he needs to improve and be familiar with. I saw some frustration on my son’s face but in a way the three of us learned our lesson the hard way.

As parents, we are there to help, guide and support him but he needs to play the major role in researching his own work, making his own presentation and more importantly practice speaking and answering questions with confidence. He needs to experience in his own little way the realities of life and learn from his mistakes.

This morning, I whispered a little prayer that he will do well and pass it this time. I will walk him to school with full faith that he can do it. I hope that would be enough for him to overcome his shyness and stand in front of the class confidently, bravely. I believe he already knows the answers and I just need to help him believe in himself that he does.

Related Articles:

OBJECT: I’m 26, going on 15. | The Uncustomary Housewife

The Object of our Fascination | The Retiring Sort

Objets d’Art | The Red and the Blue

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | The Fountain

I’ve Seen The Future…..(It’s Not Just Me!) | Ginger Haired Ape

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object #2(?) | The Amateur Camera

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object (Ceiling) | What’s (in) the picture?

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | small house/BIG GARDEN

WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge ~ Object | Lakshmi Loves To Shop

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | parislux

weekly photo challenge: object | FOUNDWeekly Photo Challenge: Object 2 | Khana’s Web

Fitting in… | Institute for Hispanic Health Equity

weekly photo challenge: object | Curls n Skirls

Don’t Let Your Children Treat Their Own Child Like Dolls | THE BLACK SPAGHETTI CHRONICLES

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Blessings through raindrops…

One Object | Purple Rosemary

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | mommyneurotic

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | That Montreal Girl

weekly photo challenge: object | Del’s other stuff…

chair on sidewalk « primo piano

Unusual Objects (The Stuart Collection at University of California, San Diego) | Wandrin’ Round

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | picture-bandit

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Lula Harp

I Object! | janna hill

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object (3) | Through the Eye of Bastet

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object – The Family Locket | mybeautfulthings

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Glittermoon Vintage Christmas

WANTED: Reliable Pick Up | Square One Notes

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object – Dormant Tree, Chinese New Year & The Eye In The Sky | Pursuing The Void

Weekly Photo Challenge : Object | Rindrianie’s Blog

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object (1 of 2) | seeking life

Del Amitri Boscombe, Bournemouth 2014. Men And Objects. | Jake Kuyser

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | The Day After

Object // Cheeky Art {Photo Challenge} | Clicky Chick Creates

Simple Living and the Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Hoarder Comes Clean

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Photo & Tour

lions | yi-ching lin photography

Weekly Photo Challenge : Object | Pulchritudinous as in beautiful..

Object: the Ball | Snapshots and Sojourns

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object – Broken Tree | A View From My Summerhouse

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Kauniiksi katsottu – Seen as Beautiful

Valentine Bottle | Overcoming Bloglessness

Object: Found | Wahine Wednesdays

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object (2 of 2) | seeking life

Weekly Photo Challenge Object | The Bell | Sonya Lira Photography

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | random pretty pictures

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Taking One Day At A Time

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Create A Beautiful Life

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Photography Journal Blog

weekly photo challenge: object | bob’s wife

Gran-Dukk#1!! | Violet Skye

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Zain’s Pix & Text

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object, Pochacco on Snow | Nourishing Chow

Meeting the requirements. | Greg Urbano

Wordless Wednesday : Chicago Hotel Room | I see beauty all around by rob paine

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Alfie’s Photo Blog

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Completely Disappear

object of affection | yi-ching lin photography

Weekly Photo Challenge: Object | Tranquil Dreams

The Dreamer | Broken Light: A Photography Collective

Weekly Photo Challenge: This Creepy Ass Statue | The Playground

Image | This entry was posted in 100 Days Of School, family, Inspiration, kids, Life, nature, parenting, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Natural Resources And Other Precious Objects

1. aliewsMuses says:

I like what you wrote about how you as a parent can only guide and support him, but it is up to him to do the rest and at his best. You guys sound like good, encouraging parents.

2. bebs1 says:

Kids needs to be told sometime, to be reminded that there are some hard work that needs to be done by him alone but with a guiding hand. I give credit to the teacher for challenging him. Am sure she knows how hard he worked on it. He’ll pass it the second time.

• Thanks Bebs. I asked him last Friday,” Did you pass?” He said he answered all the questions and seemed happy. Guess what? We have another project for Valentine’s Day too. Oh, boy! Here we go again.

With good parents like you are and with apparently a good teacher who encourages him to overcome his shyness I am sure your son is going to do very well in future. Thanks for sharing these experiences. It shows parents sometimes need to show a lot of patience.in giving the right kind of guidance.

4. I love your (and your son’s) attitude. Thank goodness he does not attend a school where everyone passes no matter what the quality of the work.

I taught college level classes to kids who had come out of Cleveland (Ohio) area High Schools with good grades having been told that they passed. These young men and women did not know how to write or make presentations at all.

I can tell you that your son will be better off learning to work hard and grow. God bless you and your wife as your raise one of God’s little ones.

• That is one beautiful, reassuring response. Thank you. My wife and I often tell ourselves after a challenging homework or test, “and he’s only in second grade!” Growing up I had a tutor in grade school but on my own after. It pays a thousand fold learning with our own effort.

5. The teacher is wise in knowing there’s a lot there and the second time around can be stronger and better. Kudos to the teacher for not racing through the project, all the while knowing she has lots to cover. As natural resources can be mined, the teacher may be mining even more that she knows is there. Good luck!

• Thanks. I have a high admiration and appreciation for teachers. My son’s school is blessed to have very dedicated teachers. After bringing him to school everyday, I feel confident that he’s in great hands and mind.

6. So wonderful that you believe in persevering and not giving up Island Traveler and teaching your son the same, life is too short to give in feelings of failure which just lead to frustration, we may not excel in all things but we can in some or even one.

I had an accident just before Christmas and was behind in my Blogging I tried to catch up with your past Posts but they had been blocked from people leaving a reply by WordPress or was it you Island Traveler.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

• I hope your doing well and healing quickly. God is good and I know he’s on your side each day. Life will have many trials for all of us and though my son is only eight, he needs to see the realities of it in his own little way. We try to make it perfect for them as parents but then we know life was and is never perfect. It’s this imperfections that motivates us to strive and be close to God. Thanks. Take care.

• I want to make sure I don’t miss comments in this Blog and I get to respond on time as well as visit the blogs of my blogger friends, so, after 7 days, it is unable to receive new comments which we all can update in our settings section. Perhaps, I need to extend it longer. The “About” page do receive comments regardless of time frame. Thanks for the constant support.

• Thank you Island Traveler for explaining , when possible I don’t like to miss the chance to read your messages and to encourage you , good to know that your About page is open, I did send you an e-mail but hadn’t heard so was very pleased when you posted again.

Take care dear friend, Blessings – Anne

7. Your post took me back many years to when I used to help my young son with his school projects. It was a lot of hard work, and in those days, I didn’t have internet to help with the research. I’m sure your son’s second attempt went well. It sounds as though he has a really good teacher, who only wants the best outcome for her pupils. :)

• He does have great teachers. He has two in his class. Back in my days I had books. Today, he goes home with work sheets and the rest as internet research. So different yet one thing didn’t change, that is a student needs to learn doing things on his/her own. A learning experience for my entire family. Thanks.

8. jazperjay says:

Your son is lucky to have you and your wife to guide him. I love your family.
    God Bless you more. :D

9. sued51 says:

It’s hard to watch him struggle, but you know it will make him stronger. Tough teacher, but for the best!

• With trials we get stronger. With mistakes comes near perfection in what we do. Looks like realities does start early in school. It’s been so long that I forgotten how it was in elementary school. Now I’m getting a slow refresher course one day at a time. Thanks.

10. All the character you have fought for throughout your life is now being imparted to your son in such a beautiful way. Enjoy.

• Looks like it is. Fate has it’s way of preparing our journey with the people in our lives. The cycle of life keeps turning from my parents to me, from mine to my son. Truly amazing. Thanks.

11. annetbell says:

Many thanks for the visit. Please return again soon and often. Smiles!

12. garden2day says:

I hope he did well. Those life lessons are sometimes harder on us as parents–seeing kids go through things we understand all too well because we have been there and know the pain. I wanted my children to keep a tender heart but I forgot they had to develop thicker skin in order to protect that heart. They got hurt. Those tears you talk about…oh gosh. It’s tough. Wishing you the best. :)

Hope you did well No 1 son

Eight years old and so much pressure to perform, it would be better if teachers realised that not all children find their confidence for such things at the same time – if at all, and that different people have different strengths.

• School is harder I think with his generation. Technology is more advance and with more expectations. But I believe kids adapt quickly and hopefully their future is way brighter than ours. Thanks.

I hope he did well, his project looks good to me and his handwriting is far neater than mine! :-)

16. gapark says:

It’s so hard to have to stand by and watch our kids learn the hard lessons, but it’s so much more worthwhile then “everyone gets a A for showing up” type mentality common today. Now passing with actually mean that much more to him.

• “With hard work comes success,” this was kind of what my parents taught me and now I get to share it with my son. The real world is tough and if we are not prepared right, we can get broken easily. My hope and prayer is that our children will have a better, kinder future than today. Thanks.

17. Ishaiya says:

I hope your son’s presentation went well. I have three children myself and I know how hard it can be just to let them learn at their pace, and overcome their own difficulties, but I too think it’s important for them so they develop confidence. I think it’s wonderful that you support your son so much, being a parent can be a tough job sometimes. I hope you and your family enjoy your weekend! :)

18. Exactly……! Perfectly expressed.One can do a few things for their child but not all. A parent can pick up a child when he falls, or hold his hand while he walks, or steady him as he sways but the child has to walk himself. It’s the thing parents can’t do for children! At the end of the day you’re your own person, and there’s just so much that others can’t do for you :) P.s hope he excels in this project and the others to come…….

19. Oh disappointing this must have been for your son, especially after he spent so much time and effort on this project. And how hard it must be for him to not have to give his presentation once, but twice! I would think the teacher would have given him the opportunity to redo part of the presentation by handing her an updated sheet. Sounds like a waste of class time in my opinion, but I’m not the teacher there. My son is working on a report on US presidents and he picked George Washington. Besides a short report, he also has to make a “presidential buddy bottle”, using a 2-liter soda bottle. This is quite a fun project!

• He felt crushed for one day but the day after he seemed fine. I Found out yesterday that he did pass but got the lowest passing grade. We all learned our lesson. Tonight he started a new project and pursued it with a warrior’s optimism. Best wishes to your family.

20. Still Times says:

Kudos to the teacher for challenging your son and an awesome kudos to you and your wife for continuously encouraging and being so supportive of him. I hope that Parenting magazine one day catches up to you.

Maria

• Everyday as a parent is a new learning for me. It’s like trial and error. Bottom line is, in all we just need to be there for them. That they always know we love & support them no matter what. That we believe in them. Thanks.

21. Nature is the ultimate teacher. It’s a joy to see you constantly expose your son to the wonders of the universe. Great post.

22. penpusherpen says:

We are always learning, Traveler, your young son learns the value of self-confidence, to aid him in the future, and we? We are learning Life’s lessons, how do deal with the future and all the concerns we have about this Wonderful World of ours, and how to look after it. Mere caretakers are we, passing on to the next generation, and your son appears to be a safe hand to pass on to. Have a good weekend my friend. xPenx

23. I really like the first picture when he is flying in his mind! I hope he did better the second time.

24. As parents, it is true that your role is to guide them and be a role model to them, like a lamp post in a dark road. But it should be your son who does the walking. Let him tumble and learn to get up on his own. I’m sure that his teacher have his best interests at heart and she knows that the potential is there. He’s still young and he still has a lot to learn and discover on his own. I hope he doesn’t get discouraged by what happened and I know that since he has wonderful, supportive, and hands on parents, he’s going to be okay and he’ll be able to do well. Keep up the good work of being wonderful parents and I wish you all the best in raising an amazing kid. :)

• That is a beautiful, priceless parental encouraging advice. As parents we nurture our kids to become the best person they can ever be. Thank you. All the best to you & your family.

25. I cross my fingers for your son and his presentation. I totally agree with you conclusion, that we as parents much let our kids find their own way, but be their for guidance and support whenever they need us. But they need to figure out things for themselves. That’s how we all grow.

• Yes, that is indeed how we all grow my friend. My parents helped me become what I am now but a lot of things I did on my own. Some were life changing mistakes, others as rewarding success. Learning & growing never ends. My son’s educational journey has just began and I feel blessed to be a part of it. Thanks.

26. Lovely photos in yet another great post. I really like when teachers give feedback. Your son will grow and learn so much from this “miss”. He will make lots of “hits” with supportive parents like you. Have a great week and best wishes to your second grader 😄

• Thanks for the encouragement. More “hits” than “miss” sounds good. Life in general is all about that with the hope that we achieve more good results than bad. What counts is we tried our best again and again.

27. clarbojahn says:

And our greatest resource is our youth. Thanks for learning the hard way, Dad. :)

28. Your son’s learning more life lessons and school lessons than some of my 7th graders are. I wish that all of my students had the support at home that your son does. Kudos to you and your family, and to the teacher that encourages students to do their best.

The last project I assigned – an essay involving some research of places to visit – one half of one of my advance class did not even bother to turn it in. A few who did it did no research for the project and were stunned to see they received a low passing or failing grade. I was very disappointed as I know they all are capable of doing excellent work.

• Thank you for a wonderful share. My parents gave me all the support and tools growing up, now it’s my turn to make sure my son will have the best chance to reach his highest, brightest dreams.

29. cjjustice1 says:

You are such good parents! One of the best ways in which to learn is through trial and error, practice and more practice. You both guided your son, helped him, but let him do his own work. You encouraged him, and were there for him. You prayed for him. As a teacher (just recently retired), I know that you are the type of parents with whom I loved working — as a team to help the child. God bless you, and I hope that your son passed his second attempt of presenting.

• Thank you. I truly appreciate that. Teachers are today’s heroes. They help parents prepare the next generation of good, honest leaders and citizens that strive to make a positive change in their world.

30. john tugano says:

Letting your Son learn the way he wanted to see things by himself is a very nice trait a parents should have.Let him do the things on his own ways but never forget to guide him, that’s how it should be..I hope that his project would do good this time , Bro. Tc always.

• Thanks Bro. He pass the second time but more importantly, he learned a priceless lesson which is doing your own work and trying your best to be good at it. Tonight he pursued a new class project mostly on his own assisted by his mom. I had to go to work but I will get a preview tomorrow. Can’t wait.

31. Sartenada says:

Lovely reading. Your family is an example of good family.

32. Sherri says:

Oh I remember those days of helping my children with their school projects and then the moment when I had to step back and let them learn from their mistakes.
    One year I helped my eldest son make a globe of the world. He got a D and was gutted. He was a straight A student but crafts weren’t his thing. Still, he did his best and that is what I was grateful for. He spent days working on that darn thing!!!
    Your son has a good teacher by the sounds of it, wanting him to learn as much as possible from this lesson and of course he has the greatest parents in you and your wife. Wonderful ‘object’ post, very moving, and I’m sure your son had a ‘good’ report the next day :-)

33. mariannegv says:

Island Traveler, tell us what happened with his new presentation, please. I hope everything will be great.
    Kind greetings,
    Marianne

• He passed but more than passing, I think the best reward was seeing him do his best with the succeeding project. Still about recycle stuff at home, then something about Valentine’s Day after. Thanks.

34. Ah yes, I have been in this position. My son was nominated for school captain last year and we spent hours on his posters and his speech. It was a good speech but he is a shy boy, lacking in confidence and hates public speaking. He did well in his presentation and was shortlisted to the top 3, he interviewed with the principal and of course being his mother I was positive he would get it and was really excited for him. He didn’t get it and it was a lesson for me to learn, I think I was more disappointed than he was. So whilst I was disappointed my advice to him was that he did well to get that far and that it was a good experience for him. We have to take the positives from the negatives, at the end of the day these life experiences will make our children stronger. I hope he did well with his presentation.

• Sorry to hear that. Looks like he put a lot of heart and gave his all in it. You taught him well and these words, “my advice to him was that he did well to get that far and that it was a good experience for him. We have to take the positives from the negatives, at the end of the day these life experiences will make our children stronger,” will not only be remembered by him and but all of us blessed to have read it. Thanks. Best of blessings to your family.

35. I say if teachers want the children to do projects by themselves they should allot them time to complete at school. Your son is lucky to have parents who are involved in all phases of his life. You’ll never regret it and he did learn a valuable lesson. He learned his father will take time out to help him with challenges even if he gets a little overzealous in the making of it.

• It was a life lesson for the entire family and I bet so many still awaits as the years go by. As parents, we just need to let them know that we are always there to support them in their dreams and their journey to get them. Thanks.

Our heart aches for them, as parents, doesn’t it? You started so strong and I was looking at the two of you on the boardwalk when he was little (I love that header), and that brilliant photo of your shoes. I admired the project and your thinking, but then it all came tumbling down! It wasn’t what the teacher wanted, and one of the hardest things in life is to understand the brief.
    Your son will learn to stand up and speak for himself, and he will always have the luxury of having you there, loving and supporting him. I hope your week ends on a high, Mr. B. :)

• Thanks Jo. He is actually the better version of myself. When I was about his age, I was shy and sickly. I missed a lot of stuff normal kids do due to severe Asthma. I kind of tried to catch up when I was older and healthier but there is really no way to go back on those lost years. The only thing I could do is make the most of the present. In a way, our youth we get to see through our child’s eyes. Hmm, looks like I kind of gotten a second chance with childhood.

37. Patty B says:

Glad that he passed – I liked the photos, he did a good job.

38. ChgoJohn says:

It must have been hard for you both to see the disappointment in your Son’s eyes. He’s learned a valuable lesson here. When you fall down, you get up. When you fail, you try again until you succeed. It’s hard for a parent to watch but it’s the path we all must take. Your Son has an edge, though. He has you both there to help him along the way.