A Man’s True Treasure

“A man’s true treasure is not measured by how much riches he has but how much love he has in his life.”

Eight years flew by. So many changes and events had happen. In all, unconditional love from family withstood the test and trials of time. They are my true treasures that gives me a sense of purpose and meaning.

20140221-021955.jpg

Creating Treasured Moments Together

Everyday, we have opportunities to create treasured memories with our family. This week, me and my wife helped our 8-year old with his school presentation.

Learning from his past mistake, my second grader rehearsed repeatedly his new project called “From Trash To Treasure.” It’s about recycling things we may otherwise throw away and turn them into usable gems. They searched the internet for examples and found a picture frame made from old cereal boxes and puzzles. Unable to find puzzles in his room, my son found something even better,  his old Lego bricks. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

20140220-201957.jpg

Yesterday, I asked him excitedly, “So, how was your school project?” He smiled at me and replied, “Good.” I asked him further, “Did you answer all the questions your teacher asked you? He answered, “She didn’t ask any questions.” I said to myself, “I guess his teacher liked his work.”

20140221-022131.jpg

Letter To My Son

“Son, it wasn’t long ago when I held you in my arms, placed you on my chest and rocked you gently till you fell asleep. You were so small, fragile with tiny feet, hands and all. I remembered your first cry, first smile, first steps, first day in Kindergarten and many more. I wish there was a way to slow it all but I can’t. All I can do is make the most of every beautiful, unforgettable moment, treasure each memory and forever relive them in my heart. Thank you for bringing into my life all the happiness and love I could ever want in this lifetime. Thank you for each amazing Birthday, wonderful wishes and exciting dreams you shared with me and your mom year after year.”

Love you always,  Dad

20140221-022216.jpg

Find Treasures That Matters The Most

There are so many treasures around us but only a few will truly make a difference in our lives. We need to find the ones that matters the most. What are your treasures?

Whatever your treasures are, don’t let this day pass by without letting them know how much they mean to you. If you can’t say it on words, loving, thoughtful  gestures will do. When we know someone so well, the heart speaks without even saying a single word.

Related Articles:

1. Treasures: A Nature Basket | Chronicles of a Suburban Nature Mom
  2. Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure | BLASTED GOAT
  3. Why Asians Don’t Say “I Love You” To Their Parents | Mabel Kwong
  4. WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure
  5. Next to my Gen-u-ine Louisville Slugger | Babsje Heron
  6. MY FAVORITE TREASURE | DANDELION’S DEN
  7. I Dillied and I Dali-ed in St Pete | Travel with Intent
  8. Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure | pitaloka89
  9. Bridges: Our Figurative and Literal Treasures | Institute for Hispanic Health Equity
  10. [WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGES] Treasure. | Fathia’s little cave
  11. The world is so full of a number of things… | An Upturned Soul
  12. Looking for the Little Details | I see beauty all around by rob paine
  13. Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure | Creative Mind
  14. Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure of Gold | Isadora Art and Photography
  15. “The Journey is the Treasure” | Wahine Wednesdays
  16. Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure | More than Reading Blog
  17. Smile and Happiness | Let me see
  18. Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure | davidriswanto
  19. Egret’ably Yours | Greg Urbano
  20. Rather Than Curse the Darkness, Light a Tiki Torch! | Writing Between the Lines
  21. Weekly Photo Challenge: Treasure – Wilderness Escapades

This entry was posted in family, kids, Life, Love, parenting, photography, Post A Week, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to A Man’s True Treasure

Yes we all have treasures in our lives but we do not always appreciate them until it is too late.

You are indeed a lucky man

• That is right. I wish I spent more time treasuring my parents before I left the country but all I can do now is hope and pray that someday, I got to back and do just that. Today, I am blessed to create treasured moments again and again with my wife and son. Thanks.

2. Jenni says:

I know the things I treasure most are family and friends – for a long time I wasn’t able to express that but I’ve learnt to tell just how much they mean to me and it has made my life so much richer.

• Thanks Jenni. We grow in time and we learn to be more open and expressive. For as long as we’re alive and well, we have that rare chance to show our family how much they really mean to us.

3. FireBonnet says:

This is a wonderful post. What a terrific project… and how delightful that you captured the moment and the feelings and shared them all with us. Thank you so much for the pingback to my post! I’m so happy to meet you!

4. kstnrt says:

Nice job. I really like the photos and the letter to you son.

• I actually borrowed the letter from a Birthday photo book I’m making for him. Then days before this post, I rediscovered his baby pictures in old CD’s. Brought back so much great memories. Made me appreciate too the blessings I had despite of all the bad events in the past. In all, I made it through because of him and his mom. Thanks.

5. What precious treasures you have in your life, IT. Your letter to your sweet son, brought tears to my eyes. So glad his project made the grade this time. :)

• I can’t thank him enough for bringing joy and purpose to me and my wife’s life. He is God’s gift for whom I will always be grateful for. He reminds me everyday what love is, to have fun and simply enjoy what the day brings. Thanks.

6. Love the Lego photo frame, what a great idea! And that Octan brick is something. Have you seen the Lego movie yet? My kids LOVED it and I found it hilarious. I need to find the time to write a post about it.

• I haven’t seen the Lego movie yet. I read good reviews about it and hearing from you makes me wanna see it soon. It’ll be a father and son future movie date. Can’t wait to read your review. Thanks. Best of blessings to you and your family.

7. bulldog says:

This is such an inspiring post… as usual… love it…

8. My treasures are very similar to yours–just with different people. :)

• Indeed it is. I’m glad that I discovered and realized early what are my true treasures. The world is full of stuff that misleads us or distracts us from the truest treasures of all. In reality, all we need is God and our family, counting real friends that are our family as well. Life reveals itself in strange, even painful ways but it does open our eyes to the truth. Thanks.

9. penpusherpen says:

Your son found a perfect project, Traveller, bringing hope to the future, so thoughtful about natural resources, recycling etc… the more the next generation think about such things the better off this World will be. He is a treasure and he must know how proud you are. My treasures are all around me, everywhere I look I count myself lucky to know like minded people who care about the environment and making the most of what we have, not what we wish we had. xPenx

• How we treat our environment will reflect the kind of future we have and our children. I hope to keep sharing with him the many beautiful and amazing treasures of nature I enjoyed as a child. It’s a perfect place to create unforgettable family memories. Thanks Pen.

Some day maybe your son will read your blog, and realise what a treasure his Dad is, Mr. B. I’m so glad he completed the assignment successfully, on his own. :)

11. Beautiful! A lovely letter to your son. It made me think of the letter my husband wrote to our first child when she was born. I gave it to her as part of her 16th birthday gift and it now among her prized possessions.

• Oh, wow. That is amazing my friend. Little tokens and letters from the heart are irreplaceable. They are priceless heirlooms and treasures we get to keep no matter how old we get. Thanks.

12. That photo and your son’s smile are certainly treasures. I like his recycled Legos and his art project. Great job!

13. Dear friend,
    Tears came to my eyes when I read, “I wish there was a way to slow it all but I can’t. All I can do is make the most of every beautiful, unforgettable moment, treasure each memory and forever relive them in my heart.”
    I know with all my heart that is true, and I try to do the same. Childhood flies by so fast! But when we raise our little chicks with love, they grow wings with which to soar, but also to fly home with when they can. As I write this, my son is sitting across the table from me, home from California. I don’t know how long he will stay, but I will cherish every minute of our time together before he leaves on his next adventure.
    Thank you for yet another beautiful post–one of your best!

• When I read your post and look at your family’s time together, I see myself only 10 years in the future. I know that in time he will find his own wings and fly to where his dreams will take him just like I did with my parents but for now, I hope to make the most of my time with him and all the childhood memories we will share together with his mom. I am happy and excited for you and your son. No matter how short, it is still a wonderful feeling to be close to your family. God bless you and your family always.

How sweet. It’s priceless. Have a wonderful weekend.

15. Colline says:

I love the lego frame.

16. So much love is poured into your posts, that even when I don’t have time to spend on the net, I always have to take time to stop by. Thanks!

17. Sherri says:

Beautiful. Treasures are indeed of the heart and what more priceless treasure than in our children?

18. chengboiser says:

Heart warming post, the lego frame is clever and thank you so much for visiting my blog.

19. And the best part is not just that you treasure them, but that they know you do.

20. Touching words about the treasures our hearts can behold. Too quickly, these precious moments are gone and we have to wonder – Where have they gone? A day in which we can look at our family and say ‘Life is Good because you fulfill all that I need” is the best day of all.
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Isadora

• Life is good indeed because of the people in our lives that completes us. As for time, I wish we can freeze it for a moment but since we can’t, we can just make the best and most of it. Thanks Isadora.

21. Mélanie says:

very emotional post, IT… your son + your wife = your most precious treasure… speakin’ of your parents, you don’t need to feel “guilty”, I do hope they did understand and did support your decision to live in the US… if your son was born in the US, he’s and will always be American, with “uprooted” expats parents…(like the only son of my Filipino friend from Houston-Clear Lake…)
    * * *
    my very best to you all… stay healthy, positive and optimistic… friendly thoughts, Mélanie – assumed uprooted expat… :)

• Thanks Melanie. I think my parents already accepted it but when I talk to them in person, I can see the yearning in their eyes. Last year, another daughter left for the U.S. and I know that broke their hearts. She will revisit them this Summer. I told her then, ” make the most of your time with mom & dad. There is no turning back once you live.” As for my son, he is very Texan though he knows he will always have a second home in the Philippines. Thanks.

I love that picture frame. I am totally going to steal that idea from your son. And you are absolutely right the years do fly by, but sometimes the days take like … forever :) But all in all it’s pretty awesome, even when I’m exhausted, it’s still a rewarding kind of exhaustion, especially when they create treasures like these. Very nice post. Hope you’re doing well my friend!

• Thanks my friend. Yes, it can be exhausting but the joyful rewards, priceless. We have boxes of broken Legos just waiting to be brought back to life. I also wondered what to do with them. Now we know. Perhaps he can make more as holiday presents. Best of fun to you & your family.

23. 1annecasey says: