Reflections Of Life

Reflections are more than random shapes and forms. They are a reminder of who we were, of who we are now and the person we hope to become in the future. They remind us of the places we’d been, of people who’d been a part of our life and of celebrated events that we’ll never forget. They help us connect and feel close with love ones we badly missed because they are no longer with us in this lifetime.

reflections of life

One of our worst fears is losing a family member. No amount of preparation and mental conditioning can prepare us to actual moment when it finally happens. It may be an inevitable cycle of life but it is one hard, painful cycle of life.

Two of my brother-in laws lost a parent just several days a part. One lost his dad and the other his mom. Both of them together with their families are currently mourning in the Philippines. I wish there is something I could say to ease their pain, grief and longing but I know there is none. All I can do is to let them know that we are here for them and that they are in our thoughts and prayers. That we are praying for eternal peace and happiness for their departed love ones. That finally they are home in God’s kingdom in heaven.

reflection of life

My brother-in-law spoke from the heart when he wrote,

“Mama, you lived a full life. Rest now in the bosom of our Father. In this life,you have fought the good fight of faith and left us a legacy of love and fear of the Lord. We are truly thankful for the security and comfort you and papa had provided us through your sacrifices and hard work. I hope that someday I could also leave that same legacy you left behind for my children to follow. We love you, mama and your apos misses you a lot. Soar high! Thanks Ma, kiss Papa for us.”

reflection of life

The day he heard the news that his dad passed away, my other brother-in-law wrote this in his Facebook page in loving memory of his dad before her flew back to his hometown thousand of miles away to say goodbye for the last time.

The Lord hath giveth, the Lord hath taketh away, Blessed be the name of the Lord! Today on the Feast Day of St. Joseph, The Patron Saint of our family, Our Lord God took my Dad away… away from the pains, illnesses and sufferings of this world. We love you Daddy, you are the Best Dad one could ever wish to have! May you find Rest in the Mansion God has prepared for you. We will miss you!

reflection of life

Reflections are a way to keep alive the memories of the people most dear to us. Though we can no longer physically embrace them, we can see them lovingly smiling at us in every familiar reflection, assuring us that they will always be alive and present in our hearts and memories.

I hope to dedicate this post in memory of the departed parents of my brother-in laws and to every love one no longer in our midst. Their legacy lives on to each and every one of us…always.

Related Articles About Reflections:

Self Reflection | breathofgreenair

Weekly photography challenge: reflections: the old and the new | Middleton Road

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Bastet and Sekhmet’s Library

Reflections | Exploratorius

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections 4 | Bastet and Sekhmet’s Library

Weekly Photo Challenge – Reflections | paisleypedlar

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Mind Overflow

Reflections On a Perfect Night – Photo Essay | Susie Lindau’s Wild Ride

Broken Wings | Etcetera Etcetera Etcetera

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Point, Shoot, Blog!

nuclear | yi-ching lin photography

Weekly photo challenge: Reflections | Live Laugh RV

Reflection | the intrinsickness

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | alienisme

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections (IV) | Uncle Spike’s Adventures

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflection | The Shady Tree

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Stockholm Serendipity

Reflections: The Isle | situnis.com

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Moersalins and his world

Weekly Photo Challenge–Reflections | Painting Pundit

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflection(s) on Water | Albatz Gallery & Blog

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | PhotoBeast

My Reflection Selfie | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”

Weekly Photo challenge – Reflections – |

A Quiet Place to Reflect | Rebecca Barray – Writer/Photographer

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflection | Here & Abroad

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Kerlundphoto

Reflection: Low Tide | A New Day: Living Life Almost Gracefully

Crossing the Moon (Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections) | Greaner Pastures

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | The Silver Leaf Journal

Reflections Of A Monday Morning | The Bottom of a Bottle

A Lingering Look at Windows: Week #12 | Cee’s Photography

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Khana’s Web

Hospitalized | Broken Light: A Photography Collective

Weekly Photo Challenge – Reflection | World of Paris

Reflected Buildings | The Harlequin Tea Set

REFLECTION | bluebrightly

Reflections… of a Different Kind? WPhotoC | Ouch!! My back hurts!!

A Few of My Favorite Things…. | Coffee Crumbs

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | quite simply…

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | The Mindless Musings

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | 18 Million Pixels

Reflections | U Be Cute – Follow the child inside of you…

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Un paseo por Buenos Aires…

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Moonlight Reflections

Weekly Photo Challenge – Reflections – Entwined |

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | re: fotograficart

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Tvlegalnews’s Blog

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Tranquil Dreams

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Never clip my wings

More Reflections | Books Music Photography & Movies

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | The Day After

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections – Oriental Bridge | Khin Writes

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | The Land Slide Photography

reflections | yi-ching lin photography

Sorting T-shirts, and the Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Hoarder Comes Clean

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | jennsmidlifecrisis

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Rainy Days

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Crystal Nuding Consulting

time to wake up… | Words4jp’s Blog

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Words4jp’s Blog

Impressions from Taj Mahal | Cardinal Guzman

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflection | CottamBridge

Reflections, Weekly photo challenge, Amsterdam, the Jordaan, The Netherlands | parislux

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | small house/BIG GARDEN

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Aylin’s Wonderland

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | More than Reading Blog

Reflections (and monkeys) « Excuse me, I’m introverting

Bubble Sundae – a recipe | See Diving

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | BLASTED GOAT

Spring Reflections | Canoe Communications

Weekly Photo Challenge: Humbled Relections | Humbled Pie

A Few More Reflections | Ruth E Hendricks Photography

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | mommyneurotic

Weekly Photo Challenge – Reflections – Joe Public’s reflections |

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Rainbow Bakery

Reflections of a Ballpark, Reflections Upon Baseball (Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflection) | The San Francisco Scene–Seen!

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | My Food Odyssey

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Cardboard Me Travels

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Taking One Day At A Time

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Life Confusions

Blue Heron | cari aiken art

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | Zurück im Leben

Weekly Photo Challenge: Reflections | A Flamingo in Utrecht

Weekly Photo Challenge – Reflections Part Deux | The Nomad Fashionista.

This entry was posted in family, Inspiration, Life, photography, Weekly Photo Challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Reflections Of Life

1. Imelda says:

My condolences for the loss your family endured. Reading the messages from your in-law gives consolation.

God bless you all.

• Thank you Imelda. It is a sad time but more painful for my brother-in-laws because it is their parent. I pray that with each day, the pain and longing gets less and less for them. God bless you and your family.

2. Marso says:

Condolences for your loss. As I read your words, your photos became deeper, like the water, wider, like the sky . . . emotional expressions of love and ongoing memory, like the sailboats in between.

• Thank you. When I read my brother-in laws letter to their departed parent, I could feel their heartache and sadness. It must be hard for them to write it as memories of years of togetherness are brought back to life.

3. LubbyGirl says:

A great response to the photo challenge. And the photos are amazingly beautiful too.

• Thanks. I was initially planning to share a different post for the challenge but after the sad news, it’s only proper to give my sincerest condolence, respect and sympathy the best I know how. When clouds are gray, they are gray…

4. L says:

Thank you for the pingback, my friend and condolences for the loss of family. Its been 3 months now but I still can’t get over my mom’s loss. There’s really no getting over it as time doesn’t heal – time only teaches us to get used to not having them around. :’(
    L

5. Y. Prior says:

my sympathies go to you – and also liked this post:
    “Their legacy lives on to each and every one of us…always….”
    so rich! :)
    peace to you and your family…..

Tis a better place in Heaven that it is here on Earth…I am really looking forward to meeting my Maker, and when He calls I shall go willingly. However it is those who are left behind who do not grasp the magnitude of being called..and I feel sad in a way that my passing will make them sad but then I do know that once they realise where I am , they will rejoice with me and be happy in knowing that I am where I want to be. God Bless you all dear friends

• Y. Prior says:

well said – well said – :)

• That is a beautiful, moving perspective my friend. When we are ready and at peace, we should not fear death for we all know that our Earthly existence is just temporary and that our real home awaits in heaven. I guess it’s human nature to miss and be sad when we loose someone we love. Most of our life was spent with them and we can’t help but long for their presence. God bless to you and your family.

7. penpusherpen says:

Everyone can epathise with your words, and those of your brothers-in-law, Traveller, I don’t think there’s anyone who hasn’t felt the loss of a loved one. We are left to reflect, always, on their life and how they touched ours, with love and happiness. Who can leave this life without leaving a ‘print’ a legacy to those left behind. Many thanks for your sharing my friend. xPenx

• Thanks Pen. We know we have loved so much by the intensity of our sadness and pain when they are no longer with us. Hard as it may seems, we are blessed, truly blessed to be a part of their lives.

8. Indira says:

I can relate to every word written here’…. No preparation and mental conditioning can prepare us to actual moment …..’ So true. I have gone threw this many times and everytime it shocks, give same amount of pain. Very well written post. My condolences for your loss. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks Indira. I try not to think that one day one of my love ones has to say goodbye or I have to say goodbye from this world. What matters today is we need to make the most of our time with them. To love and cherish them with all our heart. To make them happy the best we know how. All the best to you and your family.

Such lovely peaceful reflections, Mr. B. I’m sorry for your loss.

• Thanks Jo. It feels comforting to express what we feel in the moment. To let our family and friends know that they are not alone and that we are always here for them regardless of distance and time.

10. Sherri says:

What a most beautiful, moving and heartfelt tribute to your brother-in-law’s dad and mom. So sorry for their loss and your family’s grief. So well written in capturing the hard, cold fact that nothing ever prepares us. Knowing that your family’s loved ones are in heaven and together helps ease the grief just a little. Your photographs are stunning and capture the ‘reflective’ nature of this post so articulately and bless all those reading. A time of deep reflection indeed.
    God bless you IT and all your family at this very difficult time, my prayers are with you.

• Thanks Sherri. I shared these pictures before but I had to share them again because these waters surrounds the hometown of my brother-in-laws and I know it holds a special meaning and memory for them. For as long as we keep seeing our love ones in every item that reminds us of their presence, they will always be with us. God bless you my friend and your family.

• Sherri says:

I’m so glad that you shared them again, thank you, as this time I got to see them. Just beautiful and the sentiment behind them even more so. Bless you and yours too my friend and I hope that you have a good week.

11. Ingrid says:

I enjoyed your photos, but your words spoke volumes. Lovely post that touched me (the past 3 years brought about several losses in our family).
    Thanks for the mention and link to my blog and again beautiful post :-)

• I’m sorry to hear that. Losing someone is hard and difficult. It takes a part of us that no matter how much we try will never be made whole. Perhaps that missing part is one reason they will always be close in our hearts. Thanks for sharing.

12. I tried to comment on your American dream post but there was no Leave a Comment box, very weird. Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you for not giving up on your dreams, even if you feel you’re starting back at the beginning. I’ve done this a couple of times already, and I’ve been back at square 1 for a couple of years again, except that my square 1 was also at the bottom. As someone very wise told me, once you hit rock bottom, you can only go up. I think it’s a wonderful idea for you to get closer to your family, and it will be wonderful for your son too. My kids have no family here and it saddens me to see them grow up that way, while I grew up around all my family members. Good luck in your job search!

• Thank you. That sounds really comforting. Reading your comment, I felt like I wasn’t alone in my highs and lows. That someone out there knew what it felt to have your dreams and heart broken into pieces. I agree, “Once you hit right bottom, you can only go up.” It helps to know that others share similar heartaches with us when it comes to the end result of the so called “American Dream.” As of date, millions of American had their American dreams crushed before their eyes but millions too chose to make a new American Dream that works for them. I bet they now can breathe better as well as sleep better at night. Life is more than just trying to survive pay check to pay check or working till we drop for many things we don’t need. People will advise us to invest in a house, property or things that they think brings security when we should be investing on our real treasure, our family and our very selves. Living the dream simply translates to “Living!”

• You’re right, a lot of people have had their dreams crushed in the past few years. I think America is at a threshold where people are going to decide to make more personalized decisions about their lives, and let go of what has been the “standard” way of living until now. I hope we see more people enjoying life and worry less about having the most possessions and keeping up with the Joneses.

13. kwasson2012 says:

I love the way you have used the idea of reflections. . .beautifully done.

14. Such a beautiful, heartfelt post. My sincerest sympathy to your brothers-in-law for the loss of a parent.
    I LOVE your image titled 0035–the clarity and subtlety of color is so dramatic in an understated way. simply lovely!
    thanks for the pingback, too!

• Thank you. I took it when the weather was gloomy and gray. The water reflected the mood and the feeling it brought. It showed respect and empathy for others who lost someone dear to them.

15. You’ve created a lovely memorial and tribute to those in your family that have passed. Your empathy is heartfelt.

• Thanks Sally. Our blog is an extension of who we are and what’s going on in our world including the people we care about. This week, it’s about showing my brother-in laws and their families that so many share their sadness and loss. That so many have them in their thoughts and prayers.

16. Your photos and words make for a heartfelt tribute. Sorry for your loss, Mr. B.

17. Thank you. My brother-in-laws are still grieving and I hope one day at a time, the sadness they feel will get better.

You chose some very beautiful pictures to go with this painful writing, dear IT. Thank you so much for sharing what you feel at this time of loss. May these reflections and prayers help you and your family to overcome your sadness. Life goes on. We can only try to make the best with what we have.
    You say in reply to one comment: “When we are ready and at peace, we should not fear death for we all know that our Earthly existence is just temporary and that our real home awaits in heaven.” I very much agree with this. I as an elderly person think it is very important to be ready and at peace. But I know for the younger ones it is always distressing to lose a well known elderly person.

• Thank you my friend. There was a time I didn’t think much about death and about getting old up until I hit 40. It opened my eyes to a lot of realities including the events around me. I knew people who died in their 40′s which even made me more appreciative of our borrowed time. Today is that day to live to the fullest the best we know how and celebrate life by working harder to love more, give more, laugh more, pray more, breathe more, collect as much happy, memories as we can. Being ready seemed harder nowadays and it helps when events reminds us that we need to go back on the real road of life. God bless.

19. A beautiful tribute, Island traveler. I offer my condolences and prayers to you and your family. Your touching comments also made me reflect on my parents – my Mom who passed in 2001 and my Dad who died in 2011. They are both missed as I know your family members are.

• My thoughts and prayers to your mom and dad. When it comes to loosing a love one we will always miss them regardless of time. Thanks for the kind words and thoughtfulness.

My heartfelt sympathies to you and the bereaved members of your family IT. I was in a similar place late last year, and it i know the feeling of helplessness when words feel like they aren’t enough. A beautiful tribute indeed.

• Thank you. During times of loss and grief, family and friends truly helps us trough. I hope things will feel better for my brother-in-laws and their families soon.

21. Really awesome post and stunning photos :)

22. Beautifully written. Sorry for the losses.

23. The death of someone we Love always brings sadness and grief but as you shared Island Traveler we do not grieve as those who have no Hope for Eternity grieve, we know we will met them again and we will than only know Joy. We are never to judge anyone’s Destiny, only God knows if they are His and they may have come to heart repentance as they crossed over.

God does not needlessly take our lives but can extend them when in accordance with His good will, the time we will have on this earth is ordained for us even before we are born by His foreknowledge, as are God’s good plans and works for us to do.

Death is part of the fall, as is all sickness and sin, all good things come from God not evil, a baby or Child also does not die by God’s hand but because something was very wrong.

Christian Love in Christ Jesus – Anne

24. May all the beautiful memories your brothers-in-law have of their moms bring some measure of comfort and peace at this time. Your post is a beautiful dedication to the mothers. May God bless all of you today and every day.

25. A beautiful post. Yes, reflections are a way to a way to keep alive memories. We will all experience losses and will eventually have to leave others behind us some day. But in our memories those that have left us are still alive. Wonderfully images that accompanies the words, my friend.

26. jessannseq says:

May their souls rest in peace.I know exactly how it feels to lose someone.My godmother passed away last year.No amount of preparation can prepare you for that kind of loss.I miss her so much. :’(

27. Barb says:

I’m sorry for your loss. the photos an reflections are a deeply touching tribute.