Streets Of San Francisco

Let’s take a break for a moment and discover a city with streets like no other. If the day turns perfectly right, we might even catch ourselves singing, “We left our hearts in the streets of San Francisco.”

images of San Francisco

So, come on board. The sightseeing tour is on me. It’s my treat to my blogger family as I turn another year older and hopefully wiser. Yep, Birthday dude will be your personal tour guide. FYI, direction and navigational skills are my weakest points but I promise it’ll be worth getting lost and all.

images of San Francisco

While waiting for the rest of our buddies, there’s several things we could do. This is San Francisco and “things to do” almost always never runs out. We can go window shopping at Macy’s or check out the Art galleries nearby.

san francisco

Craving for something sweet? How about taking a few bites of a sinfully delicious dessert at Cheese Cake Factory. Best seat in the house is by the balcony overlooking the busy Union Square.

san francisco

Just want to relax? We can just chill, talk and catch up with good old friends, enjoy California sunshine and its great outdoors. Check out these Cherry Blossoms.

san francisco

First destination, the Palace of Fine Arts Rotunda.

san francisco

While admiring the architectural masterpiece, kids and kid at heart can play with the swans and ducks at the edge of the lagoon. Just be careful. It’s so easy to tip over and fall. It’s prohibited to swim with the ducks!

san francisco

Next street leads to many adventures and possibilities, the Coastal Trail. One day here is not enough.

san francisco

My son yelled, “Look, shark!” as he pointed to the dorsal fin protruding above the water. It then jumped a few times followed by several more like it. I told him excitedly, “They’re dolphins. A pod of dolphins.”

san francisco

I think it’s time for some edgy fun. How about going down the most crookedest street?

20140401-220744.jpg

san francisco

Lombard Street is narrow with sharp turns. Everyone ready for a joyride of a lifetime? Raise both arms and shout, “Yipee!” as we go zigzag downhill. Too short? No worries, we’ll go around and do it all over again. For those who wish to walk, just as fun.

DSC_3423

If you love roller coasters, you’ll love dangling outside this moving historic landmark, the San Francisco Cable Car. Hop in and get a good strong grip of the rails as we dip steeply downhill.

DSC_2872

Incoming cable car. It’s tempting to high-five with the passengers of the opposite cable car but believe me, when two cable cars pass each other in full speed and you feel everything shake beneath your feet, it’s a “limb saver” to follow the driver’s warning, “Everyone, tuck it all in! I repeat, tuck it all in!”

san francisco san francisco

Next stop, Fisherman’s Wharf.

san francisco

A walk along Hyde Street Pier.

san francisco

There is a street that leads to a small beach at Aquatic Park  reminding us that Summer will always be Summer regardless of changes in time, events and seasons. If you’re not into crowded places, this is a serene spot to enjoy nature.

san francisco

Giant antique propellers, anchor and old ships beckoning to be rediscovered. Fragments of a rich, priceless history. A constantly evolving history that we all are now a part of.

san francisco

Time to grab those cameras and pose behind this iconic sign. Just be aware, there are bird’s poop everywhere. More likely, we’ll step on a few or more. Part of the fun!

san francisco

Seafood, tons of seafood everywhere. Which place to dine? It’s too confusing. So many choices and it’s hard to think clearly when we are hungry. Hmm…we need some “yelp!”

san francisco

Broiled Dungeness Crabs for all please!

san francisco

While waiting for the crabs,  we’ll have the must-try creamy Clam Chowder. So good, we’ll scrape the bottom of the bowl and eat it too. Eat the bowl? Yes, we can it because it’s made of sourdough bread.

san francisco

I always wanted to ride in one of these. Who’s with me?

san francisco

Ready for some street entertainment? Check out this man dancing on top of a ladder. Impressive how he can laugh so hard and not fall into the ground. Talented indeed!

san francisco

How about being spooked by Mr. Green Statue. Just when we thought he’s not moving, his hand is on top of our heads. Hilarious and creepy!

san francisco

If the Eiffel Tower in Paris inspires people to fall in love, San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge inspires people to believe and follow their dreams.

san francisco

It seems surreal but we are standing and walking on the Golden Gate Bridge. Unbelievably amazing!

san francisco

The view, just breathtaking. If we’re scared of heights, looking down will take away our breath as well. Butterflies in my tummy? You betcha!

20140401-220920.jpg

Before we call it a day, let me take you uphill at one of the main scenic spots in the Marin County. There we can watch the Sun shining passionately by the bay.

san francisco

I hope for us to remember San Francisco, its stories and many sunsets like this…

san francisco

…and to always celebrate the best days of our lives feeling like this, soaring like this.

san francisco

Thanks for joining me on the many streets of San Francisco. With my family and friends at one of the world’s most exciting, vibrant cities, I couldn’t have wished for a happier place to celebrate my Birthday.

Related Articles:

1. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | My Food Odyssey
  2. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Julia’s Place
  3. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life ~ Reflections of… | David Williams Photography
  4. Street Life | An American in Norway, a Citizen of the World
  5. Les Rues De Paris | The Urge To Wander
  6. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | greetings from england
  7. Weekly photo challenge: Street Life | All Protocols Observed
  8. Weekly Photo Challenge : Street Life | Berbagi Kisahku
  9. Street Life: Golden, Colorado | Wandrin’ Round
  10. WPC: The Streets of Old City Dubrovnik, Croatia | A View From My Summerhouse
  11. Old houses on the street | Summerfield84′s English blog
  12. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | fojap en français
  13. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life ::E.N.Howie’s Motivational Moments
  14. DAILY POST PHOTO CHALLENGE: Street Life – fathersunny
  15. Street life: sounds of the street | Kaleidoscope
  16. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | A Hedonistic Wander
  17. Streetlife for a mere observer? | Words ‘n Pics…
  18. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Blessings through raindrops…
  19. A little post for a little sunset | The Harlequin Tea Set
  20. Street Life | God Through My Eyes
  21. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life II | Cathedral of Desolation
  22. Weekly Photo Challenge – Street Life | A Face from the Crowd
  23. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | mommyneurotic
  24. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Taye Ganga
  25. Indonesian » Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | AgroMaulz 12
  26. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life — and Some Excitement | Locating Frankenstein’s Brain
  27. 4-1-14 Weekly Photo Challenge- Street Life – Manhasset NY | The Quotidian Hudson
  28. Weekly Photo Challenge ~ Street Life | The Good Enough Housewife
  29. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Saigon Lens
  30. Playground Life | Thinking Through My Lens
  31. A Slice of Scottish Streetlife | The Beauty Along the Road
  32. Weekly Photo Challenge ~ Street Life | The Narrow Lens
  33. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Rainbow Bakery
  34. Wordless Wednesday (Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life) | The San Francisco Scene–Seen!
  35. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street life | mynuttydubai
  36. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street life | Kerlundphoto
  37. Street Life in Ecuador (Part 1): The Doggy Edition | reinventing the event horizon
  38. A Time to Every Purpose | Love, Support, Educate, Advocate, Accept…
  39. Streetlife- Weekly Photo Challenge | The Rider
  40. Weekly Photo Challenge ~ Street Life | Pachamama’s Beautiful Food
  41. Weekly Photo Challenge: Life on My Street | Photography Journal Blog
  42. Street Scene: Sunny Sunday in Los Angeles | Basil 1
  43. A soba restraunt on the street | Summerfield84′s English blog
  44. Street View – Traffic back-up | Giving Thought | Giving Sight
  45. mad men | yi-ching lin photography
  46. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life– Queenkv’s Brainpickings
  47. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Completely Disappear
  48. Cape Cod Roads (Part 2) | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
  49. Weekly Photo Challenge: Take Two — Street Life | That Montreal Girl
  50. Weekly Photo Challenge-Street Life | Painting Pundit
  51. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street life | a UU Deist in Texas
  52. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Irish Noble King
  53. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | Never clip my wings
  54. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life (part 4) | Eye Candy Visionz
  55. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | random pretty pictures
  56. The Crossroads (Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life) | Greaner Pastures
  57. WordPress Photo Challenge: Street Life | Passionately Bored
  58. Weekly photo challenge: Street Life | Chilling in Chile
  59. Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life | The Silver Leaf Journal
  60. Weekly Photo Challenge AND Travel Theme: Street Life & Statues | Taking One Day At A Time
  61. Weekly Photo Challenge:Street Life | LenzExperiments
  62. “Weekly Photo Challenge: Street Life” | the Entrepreneur(e)
  63. Busker | by L. D. Rose
  64. Weekly Photo Challenge – Street life | World of Paris
  65. Woodman | by L. D. Rose

This entry was posted in Travels and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Streets Of San Francisco

1. wolke205 says:

I wish I could have been there too :D Looks awesome! Wonderful post like always :) Greetings

• Thanks. The places we’d been becomes more than just travel destinations when shared with family and friends. It becomes extra awesome when we walk on its streets with them.

We went to San Fran. When we were in. USA but did not see any of the things or places you have shown. Thank you Birthday Boy ! Are you 21 again ?

• Yep, 21 at heart my friend. We were blessed with several family and friends who lives there and knows there way in both the fun places and nature scenic spots. They help us see the streets of San Francisco with fresh eyes and perspective. Oh, and they were the best travel buddies I would have wished for too. Thanks.

3. SimplySage says:

On of the best tours of San Francisco I’ve ever had! Nicely done. :-)

• Thanks. This is one of the things I truly appreciate about our blogging community, that we can travel the world and have a great adventure on its streets without living our room. All we have to do is open our mind and stretch our imagination to what we see and read on their post.

4. vera ersilia says:

Thank you for taking me back to San Francisco where I used to work in the heart of Market Street in the 80s …

• Oh, wow. That was really amazing. One of my bucket list of places to work is close to the San Francisco bay. We went around hospital and clinics getting a bird’s eye view of future possibilities. We also checked some schools which is of high priority for my family right now. I know in time if it’s meant to be, we’ll be living in California one day. Thanks.

• vera ersilia says:

Living in California is a dream okay, gardens are easy to make and maintain, (when the state is not in a drought like now), but life in the big cities is not so easy on the checkbook; crowding everywhere can become “neurasthenic” and gets on one’s peace of mind on the highways. It is a state for young and energetic people…
        Nevertheless I loved it when I was there. Circumstances did not allow me to remain. I miss my jungle garden very much…

5. Wow! Loved the cherry blossoms!

6. kstnrt says:

Terrific photos! Love San Francisco!

Hey, when were you in my neck of the woods, IT? Great to see you all enjoyed yourselves. And you hit quite a few plum spots too! But that’s just scratching the surface when it comes to exploring SFO and its surrounds. I hope you’ll be back and you’ll bring with you your lovely family.

• We were there for Spring Break later part of March. My sister was actually in Sonoma and we only got to see San Francisco for 2 days. I know, not enough time. When we do go back, I will let you know. I have not met a blogger friend in person yet and it’ll be an amazing experience to to so. Thanks. Have a blessed day.

8. Bumblebee says:

Happy Birthday Island Traveller! San Fran looks great! I love the phrase “Tuck it all in!” – a great one to think of when life gets hard in between the high-five moments! Mind you, reading your posts always puts me in a high-five moment! Thanks as always!

• Thank you. You’re right, “Tuck it all in,” can be a phrase of inspiration when life gets hard. Hmm, looks like the cable driver gave more than a limb saver message.

• Bumblebee says:

Haha, along with “hold on to your hats!” Keep the gorgeous blogs coming IT. They always leave me feeling blessed and grateful. A wonderful gift to give!

• Bumblebee says:

Haha, yes, along with “hang on to your hats”!

Keep writing IT, your blogs always leave me feeling blessed and grateful. A wonderful gift to give! Thank you!

Sarah

9. Imelda says:

Ah, you reminded me of the one time I visited San Francisco. What a lovely city – beautiful buildings, winding roads, trams, wharf, scenery. It has it all. :-)
    Your photos are lovely. :-)

• San Francisco is beautiful. It’s rich with everything. Also it’s a multicultural melting pot which makes it even more fascinating and inviting. I hope to go back one day and really take time knowing the place and its people. Thanks.

10. bebs1 says:

Happy birthday IT! Glad you enjoyed the city by the bay. Love San Fran too.

So joyful to share your birthday with you! I always dreamed of San Francisco and you brought it to life for me. My favourite shots? The trolley car I could ride all day and your son, ‘not quite leaning in too far’. Many more such happy times ahead, I hope, for you and your family, Mr. B. :)

• Thanks Jo. The cable car was a lot of fun. If we had more time then, I would have love to do it several times. Wishing you and your family lots of happy times and memories too.

12. What a terrific way to celebrate with your family–wonderful memories.

13. Beautiful pictures of so many places! Looks like you had a great time visiting your family and I can see why you feel the need to move there. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get what you want soon.

• Thank you. I truly appreciate that. One of my wife’s cousin already offered her place for Summer in San Diego if we decide to go back although in my mind, if we do go back, it’s when we relocate. Somehow, we all felt more at home in California although we also love Texas.

What a fantastic day and you packed so much in!

15. I think you’re right bout the Golden Gate Bridge and dreams. It’s Ben so long since I crossed that bridge. It might be worth a trip back. :-)
    Great post, Mr. B. Happy birthday!

16. barb19 says:

Thank you for an extremely enjoyable and interesting trip around San Fran – somewhere I’ve always wanted to go to but not achieved as yet. It seems such an interesting city, and you brought it to life with your photos.
    Happy belated birthday IT, and I hope you enjoyed spending it in such a vibrant, exciting city!

• Thanks Barb. To me, it’s a must place to see when you are in America. The fusion of the old and new, the global variety, the history, culture and lifestyle, that euphoric, exciting feeling are just but several of the reasons to see it.

17. janna hill says:

Thanks for the tour. You’ll make a fine guide. Oh, here’s your tip: don’t take any wooden nickels. ;)

• Thanks for the tip. I get a bit nostalgic when I remember places that gave me so much happy memories. I wanted to present the post like we are travelling for the first time so that we can go back just as thrilled again and again.

18. Would love to visit there one day!

19. Kris says:

Lovely photos of the city by the Bay! My family always want me to play tour guide around Fisherman’s Wharf. It looks like you had a lovely time with your family.

• When I grow old, I hope to be a tour guide too. The excitement on the tourist’s faces, that happiness of travelling and meeting people just so infectious. Always something new everyday. Thanks.

20. Angelia Sims says:

One of my favorite cities to visit! What a great Birthday for you! Happy Belated Birthday. Loved the trip and tour through all the exciting sights. It brought back some very fond memories.

• Thanks Angelia. I’d been there several times when we still live in the Bay area between 2005-2006 and I was surprised to discover so many new things and places I never knew existed before. I told my wife, “I don’t really care about the Earthquake scare people are telling us about. I want to live close to San Francisco when we decide to move back. Life’s too short not to live in places we dream about.” Her reply, “Absolutely! Just find a job first in an area with good schools.” Sounds reasonable. Praying that it will happen one day soon.

21. Wow Island Traveler that was great, I loved the pics! they reminded me of our Holiday in America many years ago, it was wonderful, we visited all the popular Tourist attractions, I loved Universal Studios the best but also enjoyed Disneyland and all the others too and yes Syrup on my breakfast even with Bacon and eggs yuk! but the donuts were good! we stayed a few nights in San Fransisco.

The American people were so friendly and helpful, our Holiday there was all smiles, as well as tips! we had a great time and we will never forget it, I still feel joy when I think about it.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

• I’m glad you enjoyed your trip to America. Universal and Disney are one of the happiest places to be. It’s always nice to discover the gems of other countries. God bless my friend and wish you and your family a great Easter. Thanks Anne.

22. jessannseq says:

An amazing way to capture the street life :) Loved it <3

23. arlene says:

Lovely photos. I love the way you described them all. Thanks for sharing.

24. Sherri says:

Oh IT, after reading this I’ve definitely left my heart in San Francisco! What a beautiful reminder for me of this forever beautiful city. So timely too, since my eldest son and his lovely girlfriend have just returned from their trip to San Fran and so I’m eagerly waiting to meet up with him soon and look at all his pics. So many family memories of when my children were younger. I have a photo of my son when he was 5 years old standing at the top of Lombard Street, a moment I’ll never forget. So wonderful to see you sharing your special day with your dear family and friends and your own, precious young son taking in all the sights and sounds. Thank you so much for this and wishing you a very happy, belated birthday my dear friend. God bless you and your family always :-)

• Thanks Sherri. It’s amazing how time flies. I bet your son and his girlfriend has lots of great pictures of San Francisco. There is so much to do, so many places to see, so much food to try. My son is now 8 and really remembers the recent trips we’d been making. Seeing the joy and excitement in our kid’s faces are priceless and inspires us all the more to travel and seek life’s adventures. God bless you and your family always.

• Sherri says:

Yes, lots of pictures, can’t wait to see them! Your son will always remember your family times like these. I wanted to share so much with my children when they were young and I’m so glad for the memories we share now. You are doing the same and that is a very great blessing indeed. Nothing beats seeing that childlike excitement and joy in our children’s faces. It is priceless.
        All blessings to you and your family now and always IT and I hope you have a great week ahead :-)

• Thanks Sherri. Life is good not just because of all the blessings we had but because we have so much of these amazing memories to always keep our family and friends close to our hearts. God bless you and your loves ones always.

25. Hey, great blog you have here! It seems wonderful! I was curious if you also offer guest blogers? If you would like, I could provide you with some of my best blogs that you could reuse and put a link at the bottom to mine! It’s a great win-win situation, you get other neat information, I get a link ;) Consider it and if not, whatever, not a big deal. Have a marvelous Sunday!

• Thank you. I appreciate the generous comment. I will check it out. I haven’t done reblogging before but I usually add links of my blogger friends either in the post itself or the related articles. It is an exciting idea. Thanks again.

26. Happy Birthday, Island Traveler. We visited San Francisco many years ago. I enjoyed your tour. It’s a beautiful city with lots to do. Whether it’s Ben and Jerry’s or Chinatown, you’ll never run out of things to eat there. ;-)

• We missed going to China Town. We only had 2 days to spare for our 8 days California trip. Perhaps next time we can explore more the many gems of San Francisco. Thanks Judy.

27. Happy belated birthday! By the sounds of it you’d a great day! The streets of San Francisco look amazing. Such a great day with your family and so well narrated! Giana.

28. I imagine you enjoyed a special bday. You take me back to my visit of SF a decade ago. Amazing, vibrant shots.

29. Geo Sans says:

richness
    ~
    fun-filled
    days

30. Stunning photos! I’ll be sure to “tuck it all in” if I ever ride in the cable car :-)
    Have a great balance of the week.

• I didn’t realize how important it was to “tuck it all in,” up until I felt the other cable car rush just passed my back. That close and dangerous! It was so much fun though. Thanks.

31. Your fabulous photos really brought back some fond memories of visits to San Fran, many years ago, with our young son. Wonderful place, and such a great post. :)

32. Pingback: Taking it to the Streets | rfljenksy – Practicing Simplicity

33. Marianne says:

Great photos IT, it’s been almost 20 years since I was in San Francisco. That was when the seals over-ran Fisherman’s Wharf (I heard they left since then). I enjoyed riding on the cable cars and visiting the Museum though :)

• I didn’t see the seals but I heard they are still there but not as many. We did see a pod of dolphins along coastal trail, now that was really cool! I need to check the museum next time. Thanks and have a great weekend.

34. David-Kevin says:

Thank you for checking out my own blog. Much appreciated…

This is, by far, the most detailed travel story you wrote, bro. What kep me engaged is that I was like seeing a movie while reading it. You truly brought us there with you in this story. From Macys to the bridge…not to mention the gastronomic adventures that went with the trip. You are so a travel blogger.

• Thanks Bro. Being around my family and old good friends as we traveled Sonoma and San Francisco was truly inspiring. Putting them into words and images will always remind me of how happy I was.

How you doing my friend! Haven’t talked to you for some time. Hope you are doing well. From the looks of these pictures I say you’re doing great! I haven’t been back to the Bay Area in like five years and thanks so much for posting these pics of SF street life. Brought me back some good memories. And I completely agree with Sony this was a great travel blog post. I feel like I was on the adventure with you and your family.

• I’m doing well my friend. Sometimes life gets a bit challenging and hard, other times all happy and fun. In between, I feel like a zombie with my usual routines of work and responsibilities. Pretty much like any parent out there. Visiting California made me realize how much I missed it. Plus I have my sister there and in the future, another sister will relocate as well. Family, good friends, beautiful fun places…it’s hard not to give in the California Dreamin’. Perhaps, when all things fall in the right places, me and my family will go back there for good. Crossing my fingers! All the best to you and your family.