On Top Of Bluebonnet Field Of Dreams

Close to the heart of so many Texans is early Spring’s exciting surprise, the Bluebonnet’s Field of Dreams.

bluebonnet

I hope to believe each bluebonnet represents one Texan dream. The more people dreaming and believing in their dreams, the more bluebonnet blooms there is. At its peak, nature’s magic creates a spectacular Field of Dreams. Where the best bluebonnet sightings will happen nobody can absolutely predict. This makes finding the most amazing bluebonnet trails an unforgettable thrilling experience for all ages.

DSC_4914

This year, we found ours in Austin, just after Austin Community College, along 290W . Most fields are privately owned and only a rare few will cut down its barbed wire fences, bring it down and open its gate for the viewing Texan public. Finding one is truly a precious gem . We found our little treasure on Easter Sunday on the way home to Houston. Talk about Easter’s little miracles!

20140426-233415.jpg

Our Field of Dreams covered several hills as far as the eyes can see. It was just incredible. Rows upon rows of beautiful shades of blue and whites.

bluebonnet

We followed a trail that went uphill. We started walking at a leisurely slow pace but as our excitement reached a crescendo, we found ourselves running as swift as the wind. Gasping, sweating, out of breath heart-pounding swift running. Whew!

bluebonnet

We did a lot circling and jumping. For a second it felt like we were flying. Hiyah!

bluebonnet

We found a hay stack at the crest of the hill. My son climbed it, raised his arms and gave a big happy smile. I tried to climbed too but I was too heavy. Must be the buffet food I ate for lunch. Ouch!

bluebonnet

From the top, the view was just amazing. We all felt like we were on top of the world.

bluebonnet

Everyone has their version of the Field of Dreams. Ours are made of…

Laughter, tons of smiles, hugs and kisses.

Texas

Child-like adventures, fun stories and lots of playtime.

Texas

In the next few days, the bluebonnet flowers will start to fade and soon will die. In its place, brown seed pods will emerge that will soon fall to the ground in late Autumn and early Winter preparing for next year’s batch of Field of Dreams.

20140427-010855.jpg

Long after Spring season has passed and the last of the bluebonnets has withered, our inner Field of Dreams can stay alive, grow and keep flourishing. Breathing, living, nurturing, “full of life” alive.

20140427-013918.jpg

At times, we will face drought. Others times neck-deep flood from heavy rains but for as long as we hold on tightly to what is real, meaningful and important, our inner Field of Dreams will always be in full bloom, resting at the highest point of our hearts giving us that amazing feeling of being at the top of world anytime, any day.

I hope you enjoyed walking, running, jumping, even flying the many bluebonnet trails of the Hill Country. It is not only big in the heart of Texans but to all who wished to be a part of its magical trails. The inner Field of Dreams is after all present and very much alive in all of us.

bluebonnet

What is your Field of Dreams. How do you wish for us to walk and celebrate it today?

Related Articles:

My Favorite Texas Hill Country Bluebonnet Drives

Spicewood Bluebonnet Alert

Bluebonnet Trails Wildflower Viewing

Hot On The Bluebonnet Trail

Bluebonnet Season In Texas Brings Out The Crowds

This entry was posted in family and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to On Top Of Bluebonnet Field Of Dreams

1. y. prior says:

thanks for the bit of history – and dude – what a joyful post!!! loved so much here- and each photos really give us the essence (if I could just touch and smell those flowers…) and well, I loved how you started with this “I hope to believe each bluebonnet represents one Texan dream….” ahhhh

anyhow, it was real special to hear that it was an Easter gift that day – and truly a little way that God touches us sometimes – we have such a a loving Father who just has the best treats – so awesome.
    and if I may share – well my biggest Easter treat came one year when I was in college – it was more than 20 years ago and it was the best ever. I got up early (dark still) to drive a friend to a radio internship she was doing. It was close to 6 a.m. when I was driving back – along the front range of the Rocky mountains – as the sun was coming up – empty roads -cause it was also a Sunday – and the “Dallas Holm” song “Rise Again” came on – which I knew from childhood – and well – I still thank God for that treat –

anyhow, thx for a special post – have a good week! :)
    ~y.

• That was one unforgettable Easter Road trip my friend. God does reveals himself through his creations in the most spectacular, life changing ways. Nature, moments, music and the people around us all come into one blessed orchestra when touched by his grace. We had an amazing, inspiring Easter in Austin thanks to the generosity of a very good family friend and the bluebonnet field was an uxpected Easter treat. As they say, “When it rains blessings, it pours!” Thanks and have a wonderful week ahead.

2. Ruth says:

Magnificent journey

3. kstnrt says:

Beautiful–truly beautiful…the photos and the words!

4. thirdeyemom says:

Amazing, beautiful post!!!! Wow! I have read the book “Lady Birds Wildflowers” about how Ladybird Johnson planted so many gorgeous wildflowers along the Texas roads. I’ve always wanted to see them! On another note, these strange ads saying “Lexingtonlaw.com” keep popping up over your images. I’ve never seen this before on WordPress and they are annoying so thought I’d let you know. They are popping up at the bottom of each image. Strange!

• Thank you not just for the wonderful sharing but for noticing the popping ads. It is annoying me too. Usually it just shows in the bottom but now it’s showing in all images. I actually stopped the wordads in my settings today. Hope that will stop the problem. As for Lady Bird Johnson’s legacy, they are truly amazing in Texas. Something all Texans shound be thankful for year after year.

5. Such a happy and positive post! Those Bluebonnets are so pretty, and i loved your photos of your family enjoying them in your ‘Field of Dreams’. What a special day you had. :)

• We had our first bluebonnet adventure last year and it was so much fun. This year, we thought we are going to miss it because the field we saw last year was already closed and not much blooms on it. The unexpected unforgettable bluebonnet detour was last minute. Thanks and have a great day.

6. nowathome says:

Wow that is stunning!!!

7. pausesandclicks says:

I was just thinking last night that it’s been a few weeks since I saw a post from you! Happy to see you here today. This Ohio girl has lived in Texas several times with my Air Force spouse and seeing your fields of bluebonnets has brought back great memories. We’re talking retirement these days and are wondering if we’ll end up in Texas. Thanks for sharing one of my favorite things about one of my favorite states!

• Wow. Small world. Texas hill country is a great place to retire. Beautiful countryside, lots of nature and warm smiles. I was trying to visit your blog but somehow the link won’t open. Is there another link I can go to. Thanks. Best wishes to you & your family.

8. jetgirlcos says:

Oh, that’s marvelous! I have roots in West Texas, but I think I’ve only seen this amazing sight once in my life. Thank you for capturing it so beautifully. Thanks also for visiting my blog, which led me here to see your photos and stories!

jetgirlcos visiting via Forty, c’est Fantastique

• I move to Texas in 2006 and up until last year, I never knew how magical it was to see the Field of Dreams in person. Nobody really encouraged me so I created my own Texan adventure and now it became a family Spring tradition. Thanks.

9. vera ersilia says:

My best memories of Texas are the blue bonnet fields. Thank you for letting me visit again.

• I wish somebody told me about the Hill Country wildflowers when we relocated to Texas in 2006 but glad destiny knocked on my door last year for our first bluebonnet adventure. Thanks.

10. Gail says:

I didn’t know about anything like this in Texas! Absolutely beautiful!!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• It’s a brief fleeting magical surprise of Texan Spring. They are now gone until next April of 2015. Seeing them reminded me that we need to find time and seek life’s little joys because time does not wait. So does Spring’s amazing fleeting surprises. Thanks.God bless.

• Gail says:

My husband and I were just discussing yesterday how really miraculous it is every spring and how everything blooms in its own time. Here in Tennessee, the forsythias blooms first and are only present for about a week, then the Red bud trees, then the Bradford pears, Dogwoods, etc. Even though it seems they hardly last a week, there is always something else beautiful to take its place! That’s pretty neat when you think about it. Every spring I look around me at all the beauty and I think, how can ANYONE not believe that there is a God responsible for all of this!!

11. Wonderful outing and images to go along with it.

12. Sherri says:

What a beautiful, uplifting post IT, thank you so much for taking us through your Texan Field of Dreams, filled not only with these gorgeous Bluebonnets but also with joy, hope, family love and your little boy’s exuberance and delight in running through his field of dreams with such carefree abandon. Long may it last, for you all!
    Here in the UK we have bluebells at this time of year but not for long. We hoped to see them last weekend in the woods but it was far too wet and muddy so hoping to see them soon and get some pics. I love these wildflowers and I love this post.
    God bless you dear friend, I hope you are having a wonderful blessed week and see you soon :-)

• Thanks Sherri. I saw your post on Bluebells. Truly beautiful. I think there are bluebells in Texas too. We have a local brand icecream named Blue Bell. I will check for them next Spring. Feels like Summer here in Texas already and the bluebonnets gone. God bless and Happy Mother’s Day!

• Sherri says:

Yes, thank you IT, I saw and replied to your lovely comment on my Bluebell post! Wow, how wonderful to have an ice cream named Blue Bell…never heard of that! Yes, I remember in California by this time of year, as May continued, it would get hotter and hotter and then it would be the blazing hot summer so I can well imagine in Texas the very same. Same with your bluebonnets, our bluebells are almost over already too…
        This weekend it is warm but raining…who knows what the weather will be like this summer, in Britain we never know, haha :-)
        Thanks so much IT, although we actually had our Mother’s Day in March but I wish for you and your family a wonderful, blessed weekend as I know it will be…God bless you always… :-)

13. Mags Corner says:

Oh, my!! What gorgeous fields. It would be hard to beat a more fun, family time than what you had among the gorgeous flowered fields. Superb pictures!!

• Thanks Mags. I agree, nothing beats nature’s wildflower field in full blooms. Seeing it in person just takes your breath away.

• It was a lot of fun. Sadly, it was already late and we had to drive back to Houston before it got dark. And my allergies were so bad my eyes kept tearing up while driving back home. I will do it again though if given the chance. Thanks.

14. Becky says:

Wow! What a beautiful place! Thank you for taking us on this special journey with your family. Your son is getting SO BIG! I love the picture of the two of you running together through the field. It certainly is important to keep our priorities in the right order, and you have certainly managed to do a great job at doing just that! Keep up the good work, and have a wonderful week-end! :)

• Thank you. I don’t know if it’s just me but as I get older, something inside of me kept saying, “Try not to miss these childhood moments with your son. They grow up so quickly. There is no going back for lost time.” Thus, I try to listen to that inner voice as much as I can.

• Becky says:

Keep listening to that inner voice…it’s telling you the absolute truth! They do grow up very quickly…but, it’s ok, as long as you are there to pay attention and watch them grow! :)

• Thanks. That inner voice is truly a secret to our little bits of happiness with our little ones.

15. mariannegv says:

Really beautiful photos and thoughts. The fields of bluebonnets are so amazing.

16. sparrow says:

What a beautiful post! Love that sense of exhilaration being in such a gorgeous, ephemeral natural place. I never knew about the bluebonnets of Texas until I started blogging. Now I’d really like to see them one day!

17. Wow I felt the excitement Island Traveler as you ran through the field of Bluebonnets , how amazing is God’s Creation it takes your breath away.

What wonderful memories you are giving your son and the Love you shower on him will always remain in his heart, even if the memory of the Bluebonnets fade.

Thank you for sharing dear friend, you made my day!

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

• Childhood only happens once and just like the happiest time I had growing up, I hope to share the same legacy to my 8-year old. God is love and when we give that love back, we and those we care about feel God presence so close in our hearts. Blessings to you and your family always.

18. Ahhh .. what can be better than, laughter, smiles, hugs and kisses.
    Beautiful magical DREAMS without a doubt.
    We must always remember to dream for without them our lives would be
    mundane. Stunning clicks of Bluebonnets carpeting the field.
    Isadora
    p.s. I’ve been seeing your son grow more and more each time I visit. He is
    almost as tall as your wife. Soon, he will not be a little boy. He is always the
    perfect subject for all of your photos. XD

19. Pat Bean says:

This blog earned a Bean Pat as blog pick of the day. Check it out at: http://patbean.wordpress.com

20. Luscious flowers. A field of bluebells reminds me of my favorite flower: lavender. Gorgeous colors spread as far as the eye can see and that marvelous aroma. My field of dreams would be a return trip to the past when our girls were little so that we could enjoy that time all over again. ;)

21. Mike Andberg says:

I’m a new Follower to your website as of today. It’s lovely. You have a very nice selection of topics and meaningful stories that I relate to. I’m so glad you liked my post “Single Men with Dogs…” that I posted yesterday. Seeing you with so many pictures of your son is touching, and great that you do so much with him. My website just started, but I’m about to post stories from my memoir “Maybe Boomer” regarding not only what I learned as a kid, but what I learned as a high school teacher (and survived to tell the tales!). I particularly felt connected to your bluebonnets post. My Mom lived in the hill country around San Antonio and always loved visiting from Santa Fe where I live just to smell the fragrances of the area, quite different from here.
    – Wishing you a beautiful day, too. Mike Andberg

• Thanks Mike. You have an amazing blog. I grew up in the 70’s with so many happy childhood memories which today gives me comfort when days are sad and a bi difficult. As for the 80’s, era rocke too.

22. What beautiful photos of your family in the field of bluebonnets. The pictures captured such peace and serenity. Well done, as always. Have a great week, IT.

23. Great time with your family and lovely photos of the outing and flowers. I’ve never seen bluebonnets (or dont remember them) quite a beautiful flower

• They fill up pretty much the side roads and vacant fields of the Hill Country. Some take time to notice and enjoy them while others don’t. If one love nature, bluebonnet Field of dreams is a sight not to miss. Thanks.

24. ChgoJohn says:

I’ve always wanted to get to Texas for bluebonnet time, just like cherry blossom time in DC. Looks like you all took full advantage. What a lovely set of shots and wonderful record of your family’s time there among the bluebonnets.

25. What a spectacular series of photos. I’ve heard of the bluebonnets, and you’ve captured them beautifully. But even more beautiful is how you have used them to frame your family, the love and dreams you all share. Thank you so much. I think this is your best post ever!

• Thanks Naomi. It’s truly an inspiration to see each and every family, group of friends, even lovers making their version of the magic these bluebonnet brings. Sadly, I read an article that dwells more on its negatives than the positives. I think one has to believe in its magical effect first to truly understand why people go crazy over them and will do anything to get their best perfect picture moment. Thanks.

26. Such a beautiful field you have taken us to here, where the physical one or the inner field of dreams. And the photos of the bluebonnet and you and your family share with us this joy and excitement you wonderfully describe.

27. surprisebjg says:

This is so relaxing beautiful and very lovely! Absolutely love it.

28. afsheenanjum says:

This is so beautiful, every single picture is eye catching.
    Nice work.

29. Those are some beautiful photos, absolutely stunning! I love the idea of each flower representing a dream. Lovely, lovely post.

This is one heart-warming narrative, bro. The subtlety of the way you delivered it is just very engaging more so the flowers that makes me really envious here in the desert. Makes me wish spring here brings something as magical as those bluebonnet flowers.

Regards to the happy family.

• Sony Fugaban says:

PS

Your blog post, Eater Monument in Paris, sounds like one of my blog posts that’s currently in the works. Glad we have a similar sentiments with our loved ones, really.

• Our love ones inspires us in all that we do. We travel the world, leaving all things familiar, face the worst and the loneliest of days in the hope that we can give them a better, happier life. In that journey, faith and prayers makes a huge difference. God bless you bro and your family.

31. That is so very beautiful! I wish that I could be there and run through that field.

• All we have to do is close our eyes and imagine that we are at the center of that field. Breathing its fragrant air, feeling the flowers with the tip of our fingers, running freely in all abandon. Thanks.

I mean, a similar sentiment.

33. Beautiful blue tiptoeing through the blue flowers. Lovely.