Heroes In The Making

Another amazing school year has passed. So many great memories or as my son wrote on his Second Grade Memories Journal, “awesom” memories made.

20140609-004824-2904215.jpg

Anything zombie, Pokemon, Minecraft, Lego Star Wars is a huge hit for 8-year old dudes for school year 2013-2014. Yep, second grader boys call each other dudes. Sounds funny at first but kind of cool when we allow ourselves to think like a second grader.

With the help of our dedicated teachers and very supportive parents, a new generation of heroes fueled with super powers of knowledge, wisdom, talent, skills, heart of courage and optimism are ready to take flight and make their mark in the world.

20140609-005432-3272613.jpg

Last Thursday, my son together with the rest of the second graders celebrated their graduation. Each student went up the stage excitedly to receive their awards and certificate of attendance.

Like any of the applauding parents in the audience, me and my wife were so happy and proud for our son’s achievement. He did try his best and worked hard for his grades.

Among the awards, his favorite was “Super Student” for the month of May. To him, it sums up both the things he learned and excel from as well as for showing proper conduct and good model behavior. Did he develop super student powers? I bet he did just like any student around the planet who took another giant leap in their educational milestone.

20140609-010739-4059262.jpg

“Heroes are not born. They are made.”

20140609-045625-17785270.jpg

My son’s yearbook was immensely fun and inspiring this year. So inspiring that many of the parents felt like they have super wings as they looked at the many school activities of their children. Just after the front cover titled “Heroes In The Making” was a picture of a group of kids running towards the school’s entrance door with their cape and superhero costume, all eager to enter their classroom. It’s the same picture and enthusiasm I see every morning when I bring my son to school, minus the superhero get-up of course.

In so many ways, children are superheroes that constantly inspires their peers, their teachers, their parents and the bigger world around them. They are the bright hope of the present and the future.

20140609-215420-78860517.jpg

There is always room for fun learning and creativity even if school has ended. Summer is a perfect way to learn new things, read a book, write, draw, paint, discover nature, watch movies, start a hobby, build stuff and many more. Oops, did I miss catching up on making new blog posts? That too to all the bloggers out there. How about a challenging word puzzle and tic-tac-toe with an ocean view? A dream classroom right?

I wish there is a way to slow down time so I can fully savor all the unforgettable childhood school memories my son had but since I can’t, I made this post to serve as a door for me to go back and relive my super student’s second grade memories again and again.

On his last day of school, we made a special lunch by the pool. We tied two balloons near the table and wrote “To our no. 1 student. Congratulations! You are our no. 1 always.” As an added fun surprise, I drew a treasure map on his card that led to a mystery treasure. The joy on his face was totally priceless when he discovered that his surprise treasure was his much awaited Pokemon EX TCG cards. After he finished sorting the Pokemon cards, he studied the treasure map one more time, smiled and said, “more treasure maps please.”

20140609-041831-15511890.jpg

Everyday, we are given chances to recognize our young heroes for all the wonderful things they bring into our lives. Today, let us celebrate our kids with our very own version of a treasure map that leads to something they love. It’ll be a cool way to spend a memorable Father’s Day weekend.

Wishing all the dads out there a Happy Father’s Day.

This entry was posted in 100 Days Of School, kids and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Heroes In The Making

1. shoes says:

I love how you find such fun and special ways to give your son amazing life experiences while making such great family memories. I adore that superhero picture of the students running into the school!!! I just completed my Masters in education, obtained my teaching certificate, and will be teaching second grade next year for the first time. My own son is in his last week of second grade – such a super, super age! And you are right, children are like superheroes inspiring parents, teachers, and everyone they meet.

• I’m so happy and excited for you. School age is truly a fun, magical years. All the kids I see in school have that spark in them that just bring tons of joy and positivity. Makes me wish that we grown-ups have the same pureness, enthusiasm and energy. Congratulations to you and your son. So much great things awaits for you. Thanks.

2. Such a heartwarming post, IT. You must be very proud of your son. We always used to tell our son that that he was #1. It inspired such great confidence in him, and he went on to become Head Boy in his final year at school. :) I love the idea of the treasure map. How exciting for him to find his prize at the end of the trail.

• Yes, I am. He gives me and his mom joy and honor more than words can express, and more than I deserve. Through him, I see life as a blessing and hope no matter how many storms I had face. Thanks.

3. mariannegv says:

Congratulation for the graduation of your child. Have a great day.
    Kind greetings,
    Marianne

4. In my classroom I have a sign that says “We are ALL super heroes” Thank you for being such a supportive parent and honouring teachers in such a great way. Sometimes we feel unappreciated by managemement and governments that make decisions based on paper and not people. Teachers do it for the kids and to have appreciative parents like you make it worth it. Thank YOU!

• I see teachers as heroes and priceless professionals who help mold our young minds us great, kind, generous thinkers and doers. It is sad that the government has been taking education for granted, just like they for granted the healers and basic work force that make this nation great. So much money spent on war, and too much politics that those elected to serve forget the very people who placed them in powers. I hope our new young generation will change that and make their world better than ours. Thanks.

5. Yes it will be a very special way to remember Island Traveler the joy of your sons school days, it’s good he is going so well but than you both take an interest in what he is doing and this encourages children to seek to excel, of course you Love and accept him how ever he is but showing he is important and what he does is important will not be forgotten , well done to all of you. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I never received this Post Island Traveler, I was wondering why so I came here and found this one that you had Posted on the 9th, perhaps you need to check with WordPress it may be the same for others.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne

• Thank you Anne. Through our little ones, we see all that is pure, true, honest and decent. Through their laughter & smiles, we see genuine happiness. Through their eyes, bright hope. It is up to us parents and grown-ups to make sure they continue to grow in light, love, faith and everything good in this world. That they will be the best person they dreamed to become. Heroes, leaders, healers, bearers of light and many more. Sorry if my posts are not being sent to you. I don’t really know what’s going on with the WordPress settings. I will check it again. Thank you for the thoughtfulness and generous kind comments.

6. I love your son’s yearbook cover, “Heroes in the Making,” and all the fun, creative things he did. Wonderful memories to look back on. I kept our daughters’ notebooks that covered their elementary school years. It does go by too fast. Happy Father’s Day, IT.

• Thanks Judy. My wife and I are trying to keep our version of his childhood treasure box full of all the things he made since Pre-K so one day he will rediscover all the best moments of his youth. Thanks.

7. Sherri says:

Oh how I remember these days with my children when they were young and their exuberance and excitement for their school achievements. I remember their end of school gifts and family celebrations, just quietly and spending time together as you do with your son and special memories in the making with treasure maps. I have all my kids’ yearbooks and so many photographs from those days of celebration and innocent joy. I love your little boy’s drawings, and his love of Pokemon, all of which bring back so many happy memories for me. I wish I could slow down these precious days for you IT, but you are already making the most of every single second spent with your boy and that is the most important thing of all.
    I wish you a truly wonderful Father’s Day and a summer filled with every blessing and joy in abundance. The sun is truly shining on you and your family, God bless you now and always… :D

• Thanks Sherri. I truly appreciate the friendship and positive sharing and encouragement. I had an amazing childhood, thanks to my loving parents. We were not materially rich but they showed me love, sacrifice and joy far more precious than any gold. They helped me follow my dreams and made sure I have all the things I need to venture into the bigger world. If they have not prepared me well, I would have long broke into pieces because of the heartaches of the past but thank God, I’m still standing surrounded by the treasures of family, friends and faith. With our love ones around, everyday is a Happy Parents Day. Take care.

• Sherri says:

A wonderful and precious legacy, you are a blessed man IT and certainly know the value of what really matters in this harsh world of ours. God bless you always and thank you too for your friendship, I value it greatly… :-)

• Thank you Sherri. I was at church yesterday and after the church service, the priest ask all dads to stand up and look at their palms. I didn’t realize it is a palm of so many things, went through a lot of things, changed, touched and be forever grateful for so many things life had given and revealed itself through the years. I went home and I guess, everyone too all fired up knowing we are loved by our family and our God in heaven. Life is good! God bless you and your family.

• Sherri says:

Life is good indeed my friend…beautiful message, thank you so much for sharing it. God bless you always… :-)

8. Who doesn’t love a treasure map? More, please. :) Have a wonderful Father’s week with your family!

• It’s easy to forget as adults treasure maps and magical places that bring simple yet happiest of moments but all it takes is one child to remind us of the inner childhood we’ve long forgotten. For that, I will be grateful always. Thanks.

9. Thank you for following my blog. I wanted to leave a comment on your post about the bluebells. I enjoyed reading that post and your photos too :)

Duuuuuuuude this is an amazing post! I totally agree with everything you said and can relate to everything you’re feeling as a parent. My son “graduated” from Kindergarten this year and it was such a surreal experience because I just remember dropping him off on the first day. The days were long, but the year was short. And I, like you, was grateful for this blog because it helped create a memory book of phrases, moments, and pictures of the entire experience. He finished at the end of the month and I celebrated with my last 12 x 12 Chocolate Challenge Cake …. It was amazing and definitely worthy of my son’s “Super Student Powers” :)

And what a way to end your post:

“Today, let us celebrate our kids with our very own version of a treasure map that leads to something they love.”

DUUUUUUUUUDE I LOVE THIS QUOTE. Love it!

• Congratulations both to you and your son. So much great things awaits for you both. It’s true what they say about school age years as being magical. It is the most fun, adventurous, happy parent-child bonding years. It’s that time we are their heroes and them us our heroes. Every second, a precious blessing. Thanks.

11. Another beautiful post. Congratulations on your son’s graduation!! Treasure every moment, they are so precious :) ~Sophia

12. sparrow says:

Wow, sounds like it was an amazing year! Graduation sounds like quite the event, and I love seeing all that school work from the year–looks like he worked hard and had fun, too.

• He did. We are so happy and proud of his work. Of course, he also got a bit of incentive with his Pokemon TCG cards but over all he did it cause he love going to school and that his teachers and classmates inspired him a lot. Thanks.

13. Becky says:

Happy Father’s Day to you! Your family is so blessed to have you in their life!
    Congratulations on a successful school year for your son – moving on to 3rd grade!
    Thank you for sharing these special moments with us. Life is precious, and I truly appreciate just how so aware you are, of this very fact.

• Thanks Becky. I would like to think I am blessed because I have them in my life otherwise I will be lost or long given up. Yes, can’t wait what 3rd grade will bring. I heard it’s more challenging.

14. kstnrt says:

This was wonderful! Really enjoyed it.

15. Looks like your son had a very busy and awesome year alright! I recognize those Minecraft drawings, my son is drawing the same. It’s hard to keep up with what our kids enjoy doing but I really try my best. We’re finishing kindergarten and second grade here in a couple of weeks and we can’t wait for summer to start. I bet your son is going to have a great summer too. Happy father’s day!

• What matter’s is we keep trying and that they know we are doing our best catching up with their ever moving, changing, fun, magical world. Right now, my son’s super crazy about Pokemon EX. I’m trying to remember all this new names and believe me, super hard at 43. I’m enjoying it though and I can’t wait for the next Minecraft or Pokemon adventure. Have a great Summer!

16. Mags Corner says:

Congratulations to your son! Happy Father’s Day!

17. Wow! Congrats to your son on his fabulous 2nd grade year. Thanks for sharing his work with us. Congrats to the parents and teachers too. Parents are children’s first teachers.

• We have a small box of the stuff he did in second grade. They make me laugh and smile every time I read them. Childhood years are truly precious and we have to find ways to celebrate them always every chance we get. Thanks.

18. Such a treasure trove of memories. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t have to ask if you had a wonderful Father’s Day. I know you did! Every day you spend as a father is wonderful, isn’t it? I still have pieces of work done by my now 24 and 43yr olds :)

20. Your son is an artist! He is just an amazing kid and I’m thankful to see him grow on this blog. Treasure these memories my friend.

• I definitely will my friend. When I read old post, can’t believe how much he’s grown and changed. Looking back at the past and seeing life in the present with him makes me grateful for my blessings no matter how hard certain events in my life had been. Our children reminds us everyday that life is beautiful, that it is a blessing, that hope, light and goodness happens, will happen. Thanks.

21. I couldn’t pass up a follow on your blog. I’m all for connecting with your children and loving them unconditionally and I see and witness much of that in your blog. Your post reflects so many marvelous memories your son will carry into adulthood and hopefully pass along to his children and thus helpful in building a world full of peace and harmony. You have my sincerest admiration. Sheri

• Thanks Sheri. He keeps me sane, hopeful, positive. He makes me laugh and feel happy. He makes me forget my problems. He makes me see things I long forgotten. He reminds me of the “me” that changed when I grew up but should have not. He encourages me to always find time to make great memories. One day, when he discovers the blessings of blogging, he can continue “this man’s journey,” and make it about his. Our journey and that of our family are all interlink, constantly changing, at a continuum.

22. swamiyesudas says:

Very Touching, Very Nice, Inspiring!

23. judyjudygirl says:

So precious ! It’s beUtiful that you see this experience e for the magical and wondrous time it is . Your son and all children ARE superheroes , and you are super for recognizing it . I wish all kids could have such super parents ! All the best !

24. Be Inspired says:

thank you for visiting my blog and liking my post

25. dotedon says:

Thanks for following my blog :).
    Great post!

26. It’s always good to come by and see your site :)

27. Hello Island Traveler! I really like your photos!

28. Be Inspired says:

Please be delightfully advised – I nominate you for the Very Inspiring Blogger award – please see https://inspirationallifemedia.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/blogger-love/