Summer Lovin’ Philippines, I Do Remember

Philippines, I may be thousand of miles away but I do remember.

PhilippinesHow can I forget you when you gave me so many Summers to love and remember.

PhilippinesSummers that you built with me. Summers that I carried with me, lived with me.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI have not forgotten our many walks by the beach and the many moments of soul searching. I have not forgotten our stories, our dreams and the many promises we made. Have you? I you did, let me help you remember.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember our laughter.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember the many beautiful sunsets.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember our island travels…

Summer Lovin' Philippines…the unexpected adventures and exciting surprises.

Summer Lovin' Philippines Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember our childhood innocence and many simple happy plays?

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember how thrilling  it was playing in the rain. Do you remember that time we chased a rabbit in our front yard? We had a lot of fun didn’t we?

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember the boat rides with its many breathtaking views both above…

Summer Lovin' Philippines…and below the water.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember our faith, culture and traditions. Call me nostalgic. Call me sentimental. Call me sensitive. Hey, ain’t my fault. You blessed me with all these, they rooted so deep.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember smiling and being happy with the little I have. I remember the same smile among the people I met who barely had anything to go by. You showed me so many ways to be happy without having to buy anything. I remember because when there are times I felt I have nothing, you inspired me to feel that I have everything.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember with fondness, families who gave so much more than I deserve. They gave me their heart without asking for anything in return. They gave me a home whose doors never closed even long after I was gone.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesDon’t ever think for a minute that I have forgotten about you. In times of triumph I celebrated with you. In time of storms, I worried and prayed with you. When you needed help, I remembered with utmost concern. It ain’t much, but I hope it was something that helped you rise up and begin a brand new start.

This Summer, a friend set sail the many boats of Operation Baroto or Boat for the victims of typhoon Haiyan. Through the many generous contributions by friends and family, hundreds of boats were given to fishermen who lost their means of livelihood. Fishermen who the government has failed to reach despite of the million of dollars donated kind hearted people from all over the world. These fishermen only received several days worth of canned sardines, rice and water. They days after, nothing else came.

This Summer, a friend set sail the many boats of Operation Baroto or Boat for the victims of typhoon Haiyan. Through the many generous contributions by friends and family, hundreds of boats were given to fishermen who lost their means of livelihood. Fishermen who the government has failed to reach despite of the million of dollars of donation received from kind-hearted people from all over the world. These fishermen only received several days to a few weeks worth of canned sardines, rice and water. The days after, nothing else came.

I remember the many love you gave. A mother’s love, a father’s love, a sibling’s love, my very first love, all kinds of friendship and family’s love. Love that inspired me through the years. Love that gave me courage and strength. Love that nurtures when days are grey and weeps for much-needed comforting.

Summer Lovin' Philippines

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesI remember more than you think. I remember more than what others think. So, when I step foot on your soil once more, may you remember me and all that I have become. So much have changed for both you and me the long years we’d been apart. Change that scares me sometimes. Change that motivates me to hang on to what’s still left of the many precious memories and connections of the past and the present. I won’t let go. Please don’t let go.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesIn the next few weeks, embrace me once more with a Summer Lovin’ that will have me forever grooving.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesA Summer of sharing, giving, reminiscing, reconnecting.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesA Summer of creating new stories, plays, laughter and adventures.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesAn island seaside Summer of many happy laid-back days with lots of room to dream and fill my bucket list.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesA treasured Summer among family and closest of friends.

Summer Lovin' PhilippinesA Summer that will remind me that I will always have a second home whose doors will never close because it waits patiently, excitingly for my return.

Summer Lovin' Philippines

We always go back to places that meant more than just memories. It is part of who we were and what we hope to become. When I brought my son to the Philippines, he knew immediately that he will always have a second home with even a bigger family other than what he already has. That alone is why we always try to go back. Back to where it all began.

Yes, I do remember you. I hope you do to.

Summer Lovin' Philippines

There are so many of us who had to leave our homeland of birth in the hope for a better future. Some for a dream others for adventure. Whatever our reasons were, part of us will always long for love ones we left behind. Remembering somehow brings us closer to them and the home we used to know.

This post I offer as a tribute to all the travelers, migrants, overseas workers and their families. We are not alone in this journey.

This entry was posted in Summer, Travels and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

93 Responses to Summer Lovin’ Philippines, I Do Remember

1. sued51 says:

A beautiful post…The love evident in every shot and every word.

2. omel07 says:

It’s always MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES. This post overflowing with nostalgia made me appreciate PH more than I currently do. Like you, no matter how many places I visit and no matter how far, Philippines will always be “home.” Rekindling memories like this is pure bliss. You always seem to have a good time wherever you go and it reflects on your posts. You should definitely visit the Philippines soon.

• You can never forget a home where we first experience love and joy of family. A place where no matter stricken with poverty still smile, gives and support one another at their worst. And yes, it is Fun In The Philippines. Have me close to any beach, feels like paradise! Thanks.

3. This truly touches my heart, partly because I’m Filipino, but mostly because it’s something that anyone whose heart remembers home can relate to. Visit soon!

• The home we used to know we always be a part of us. Of who we were and who we want to become. It help us connect and find ourselves when things gets a bit hazy. As we I write, I’m spending a weekend with my parents and sisters. Home indeed! Thanks.

Liked by 1 person

4. Beautiful images for the theme… it’s lovely to see happy kids :)

5. onlyafather says:

Fun, laughter and smiles. Just as it should be.

• Life is a hope of all these. Sometimes we get them. Other times not but somehow when we need them the most, they do knock on our door and everything turns more than okay. Thanks.

6. Wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing and taking us there with you.

• I am about to creat new Philippine memories as we speak. The one I shared was two years ago where my son was old enough to appreciate his bigger family and second home. They went ahead of me and already are having a blast. Tomorrow, my official 2014 island Summer begins. Thanks.

• It was a memory of my vacation back home 2 years ago. Today, I am reliving it again. Been on cloud 9 since I arrived. Thanks.

7. I am so touched by this beautiful post. How old were you when you left?
    My favorite lines are these: “I remember more than you think….I remember more than what others think” Brilliaint, poignant and utterly well said.
    Are your wife and son home yet and have they read this post yet? If I were you , I would make a hard copy of this and place it someplace safe for your son to have always. Future generations should know your thoughts and feelings about your homeland.
    An amazing piece of writing!

• I was 31 when I left and my wife, 26. We were young with so many dreams not realizing 13 years later, those dreams would change. Now our dream is to one day go back and stay for a longer period if time. Our parents are not getting younger and I know the years we are not with them we can never return to. Thanks.

such wonderful memories…and the pics are amazing. Happy smiling children living their lives with happiness, joy and freedom….
    I love your writing , it transports me to the Islands and makes me feel young again

God Bless you all

• Youth is in the heart my friend. We can stay forever in our 30′s by simply embracing joy and adventure in all that we do. So far, I did two zip lines already with my son here in the Philippines. I was a bit scared but watching my son having an amazing time helped me reach the end of the zip line without having a panic attack! Thanks.

9. Your love for the Philippines, just shines through this post, IT. Wonderful photos and memories. I’m sure you and your family will be back there, again and again to experience more of the Summer Lovin’. Well done to ‘Operation Baroto’ for helping those fishermen to regain their livelihood. :)

10. liz2you says:

Oh my goodness, your love of you country and returning to it is so fierce! Even more so than my lovely Daddy, who left his loved Ireland, to make a better life for his wife and babies in South Africa in 1948; even more so than me, who had a wonderful life there and now living in UK, often yearn for the beaches there, the sun and the happy times we had while he raised us, and we raising our own sweet children! Hey, you are a young man, Island Traveler, keep your faith in your old country; she will come around again. Well written! Liz

• Thanks Liz. I appreciate a lot your generous sharing. No matter which part of the world we live, as migrants from another home country, we share a similar passion, dream and journey. My friend, I will sure keep the faith and love alive for my old country and the family I left behind. It is part of who I am and somehow keeps me motivated to follow my dreams. All the best to you and your family.

11. Colline says:

Where we come from is a part of what moulded us to become who we are. A lovely tribute to the country and people that made you.

• Indeed it does. We should never forget where we came from and all the humble beginnings. For some, the road back to our original country is sweeter due to the years of separation. Thanks.

12. Very very sweet! Your roots are strong, and for good reason!

• Thanks Naomi. When we’re young we have so many dreams and more likely do everything to pursue them. As we get older, our dreams change to the most basic essential ones. Some of which are family,home, finding meaning to what we do and being a positive contributor to our society.

13. DotedOn says:

Another beautiful post! The pictures are incredible! I’d love to visit the Philippines one day :)

14. dmarkcabz says:

wonderful! i always love to see this kind of post. kahit maulan dito sa Pinas ngayon. hehehe

• It did rain for 3 days then all sun for more than a week. My wife said, “unfair, it has been raining since she arrived and turned sunny as soon as I step foot in her province!” Oh, well Summer likes me I guess. Ha, ha, ha. Thanks.

15. What beautiful people, such genuine smiles.

16. bebs1 says:

You are counting weeks before you can embrace her, your mother country and am so happy for you. I am counting months when I could stay for good. Just one and a half more Winter!

• Wow, Bebs. I am happy for you. We can so relate with the saying, “No place like Home.” I wish you all the best. Time to catch up on those bucket list you always wanted to do when you go back. Thanks.

17. arlene says:

I so love your post and all your pictures. So apt for our tagline, “It’s More Fun In the Philippines.”

18. Imelda says:

Fun memories. :-)

19. elizz says:

as always, nice post my friend..

20. Beautifully written. It made me think of how I feel about Canada. I wasn’t born there, but I spent 11 years of my childhood living there, and I do consider it home. Thank you for bringing back many fond memories of my past through your beautiful words and pictures. :)

21. Sarah says:

Wow! This post made me miss home so much. I can’t wait to go back again! Thanks for this entry. Lovely photos as usual! :)

• Guess what? My iPhone is so full of pics and videos I had to delete some. It was hard to do so but I have to choose the best ones. 16 GB won’t do justice for a 3 weeks home country vacation. Hope you’ll revisit it soon. Thanks.

I spotted the boat, ‘Island Traveller’! What a beautiful post, I’ve welled up with happy tears. Your view on life, love and family is so precious, keep doing what you’re doing. Happy summer my friend :-)

• Thank you. Yes, the Island Traveler went back to the islands of his many homes. Made me ask every time if I did the right thing moving to America. As we get older, worldly comforts becomes less and less important as compared to what really gives us meaning and fulfillment.

Dude what a great piece of writing…very touching post about your homeland. And as always you have some great pics. I’m sure your son appreciates traveling to your homeland and being close with family there.

• He does especially when his cousins are around. He is discovering the blessings of a big family which he never had in the U.S. Most of the time, it’s the three Amigos in Texas. Thanks.

24. I don’t think I will ever forget you Island Traveler , the beauty of your Photography and your words from a Loving heart make you unforgettable and your family too , God bless you all now and always dear Blogging friend.

Christian Love from both of us – Anne.

• Thanks Anne. I won’t forget you too and all my blogger buddies who traveled with me as far as I can remember. Our journey is more beautiful when we allow others to be a part of it. God bless you and your family.

25. You’ve created a wonderful tribute to your memories and love of your birth place.

26. To my blogger friends, thank you for the generous support and sharing. It’s day 1 for me in the Philippines. Been flying for almost 2 days. Hardly slept. Been walking like a zombie. Met travelers from all over, also visiting families. I apologize for the delayed response as WiFi here is slow but as soon as I get a decent reception, I will keep you all updated. I wish to take you all with me in my 2014 Summer Lovin’ Philippines adventure. In thoughts, I will share with you the many blessings of the islands in the next few weeks. Have a great weekend to all.

27. kstnrt says:

Stunning photos! Looks like a good time!

28. MFSWinter says:

You’re making me feel homesick!

• Reading and hearing stories of home does make us homesick. I know the next few weeks will be hard for me, my wife and son when we go back to Texas. It’s hard to forget something this good! Thanks.

29. This is beautiful. I love how you personified summer, using the word “our”, etc. I lived in the Philippines a few years myself when I was a very little girl… and visited when I was 10. The Philippines and her people are forever etched on my parents’ hearts. Forever.

• That is amazing. It’s an honor another blogger friend who has special memories of the Philippines. It may have change so much but the warmth of many of its people hasn’t. Thanks.

I got chills up and down my spine while reading the post, bro. It really got me in the most riveting way. You just broke my tear duct. I’ve had two vacations since 2012 but never had the chance to visit my town. One reason is budget constraints; the other is I now have a family based in the Bicol Region.

The thing is, you made me miss my parents so much that I wish I could see them now…

So much of the mushy stuff…I’m really happy to see your wife and son in the pictures. FINALLY! She is absolutely gorgeous and the kid is adorable. Seems like both of you is on his face. You know what I’m sayin’.

Thank you for this dedication. For reminding us about looking back if not returning to that place where it all began. For reminding us about embracing that place…the people who first showed and taught us how to love. For making us crave the summer sun back in our homeland.

• Thanks Bro. He does have both of our features but has a heart of an adventurer all unique to himself. He loves every bit of the Philippines like he was born here. I hope and pray you get to see your parents and home province one day. I understand how budget constraints can hinder us from being around the rest of our family. God will find a way. I know soon enough, you’re wandering feet will walk on your hometown. All the best to you and your family.

31. Debbie M. says:

I loved the story in pictures. And in this case, memories connect our past to our future! May your summer be a time of enjoying your homeland connection and creating new memories!

32. It’s so good to come back and read your beautiful pieces on your family and look at your photos again. As always, you bring back memories for many. :-)

33. Another beautiful post with fabulous pictures!!! Thank you for sharing. Makes me remember my fun summers :) ~Sophia

34. I really was touched by your comment: “We always go back to places that meant more than just memories. It is part of who we were and what we hope to become.” Last month, my husband and I returned to Central New York where we had lived most of our lives. We got together with old friends who knew us back when and revisited places that were very special to us.

Thank you for your beautiful pictures of the Philippines. I hope you’re able to visit it soon. ;-)

35. iamjenicejoy says:

Aaaaawww, this so touching! I admire Filipinos like you, who love our country so much…. And sees the beauty of our homeland :)

• There are two kinds of Filipinos I met abroad. The ones whose hearts never left and very much in love with the Philippines and the ones who think we are crazy just for entertaining the the thought of going back. Yes, the economy and political issues are still a dismay but the feeling that we belong and matter, the nature, the family and it’s people will more than make up for that. I wish we can change our economy and politics but we can’t. The best we can do is change the way we think and do something about it. Thanks.

• iamjenicejoy says:

“The best we can do is change the way we thinks and do something about it.” – i totally agree, and whatever we learn good from other country lets do and apply in PH. Wonderful blog mr island traveler :)

• Thank you. We learn as we go. We adapt and apply the good and hopefully get rid of bad habits. I pray hard our government in the Philippines will be touched by an angel and miracle of conversion happens. I just found out that money is being given to the poor not because to true intention to help but as a political tactic of who to vote in the next election. Prepaid vote buying? How it evolved amazes me. Of course, our government is not all bad, it does try to help out and mend the years of torn mess. And its citizens are not all saints. Ha, ha, ha! It is fun in the Philippines. I love it like no other!

36. A lot of loving. A lot of heart. Beautiful. Mr. B.

37. i am praying that you are building on many more beautiful memories with your family here at home together with your wife and son… looking forward to your heartfelt stories of love and adventure. it is also such a heartwarming narrative seeing you guys finally, although all your posts speak beautifully of your life with your wife and son, seeing you up front brought a tug of excitement like knowing your family up close and personal. thank you for sharing your life with us and welcome home :) mabuhay! — april

• Thanks April. Same here. Reading your posts , comments and watching your journey through images of faith and family also brings that feeling of knowing you as a good friend. We don’t have to see someone in person to be their friend. What matters is the generosity of our hearts, thoughts and sentiments. Blogger friends share our worst and best, hope and dreams through the posts we share and connect with one another. God bless and best of blessings to you and your family.

38. Cindi says:

Oh, such a beautiful post!

39. What a beautiful tribute to The Philippines. I spent many days there when I was in the U.S. Navy. It is indeed a magical country.

40. Quite a nostalgic post. Yes, I will remember the many summers of the Philippines, especially when I’m shivering in the dead of Midwest winter. :)

41. Beautiful photos. Lovely words. Warm memories. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post with us, IT. Have a great balance of the week.

42. dunelight says:

I noticed the canoe with out riggers was named Island Traveler, is this the inspiration for ‘The Path of the Island Traveler’? The love of place shines in this post.

• Actually, the Path of the a Island Traveler was my inspiration for the canoe’s name. Yes, I’ve see sail so long ago but the tides of memories kept going back, beckoning, tugging my heart to reconsider. Plus seeing my parents old and needing my presence was heartbreaking so are the dreams of medicine and helping out. Thanks.